PDA

View Full Version : Seat repair

Elio S
26-06-14, 05:17 PM
I took the beloved wg for a rego inspection today, and the @#$tards knocked me back because I apparently have too much play in both front seats.
Yes, they have a little play in them, but I think it's pretty standard on all WG Grand Cherokee 's. I pulled the seats out and inspected them. Nothing broken, nothing crack, just made out of flimsy ass material that moves when you shake it hard.
To add insult to injury, these are guys that belong to the same company I work for, and I've sent them a heap of service and repair work. Guess who's gonna lose a heap of work?
Does anyone know who I should take these seats to to get 'firmed' up?

AV8
26-06-14, 05:24 PM
Just go to another one mate. The bloke at Caltex workshop corner of Bettingdon and Pennant Hills Rd is easy going. He's done my WJ a few times. Didn't even touch the seats.

Elio S
26-06-14, 06:36 PM
I plan on doing just that, except I have to wait a couple of weeks as they gave me a white slip. They got me because the key can be removed from the barrel while the car is running too. That one I'll accept, even though it's been like that ever since I've owned it and it's passed rego inspections before, but the seats seriously, is nit picking.:grumpy:

Update: Priced a new seat base from the dealer today. $6500 ex usa.:jaded:

Nixolus
28-06-14, 03:24 AM
When I had an issue with the guys at the local servo, who white slipped me because the engine leaked a little oil, I got the gasket replaced and they refused me again, said it still leaked, so I took it back to the repairer. he fixed it again, no further charge. Took it back to the servo and got knocked back third time, the guy was quite surly too. I couldn't see a leak and I think the guy was angling for me to pay him something extra or something, I was starting to despair, but I asked the guy at the repairer if I had to go back to the first guy and he said no, I got a pink slip from him, and he serviced my car for many years afterward.
Are you sure you cant just bin the white slip and go somewhere less nit-picky?

Elio S
28-06-14, 07:05 AM
When I had an issue with the guys at the local servo, who white slipped me because the engine leaked a little oil, I got the gasket replaced and they refused me again, said it still leaked, so I took it back to the repairer. he fixed it again, no further charge. Took it back to the servo and got knocked back third time, the guy was quite surly too. I couldn't see a leak and I think the guy was angling for me to pay him something extra or something, I was starting to despair, but I asked the guy at the repairer if I had to go back to the first guy and he said no, I got a pink slip from him, and he serviced my car for many years afterward.
Are you sure you cant just bin the white slip and go somewhere less nit-picky?

Was talking to a mate who still owns an Autherised Inspection Station handbook last night and nowhere in his book under the heading AIS 105.08 (the rule they failed me on) does it mention they can knock me back on a little play in the seat frame. In fact the problem listed on the white slip mentions insecure seat or seat belt. I can tell you the seat is anything but insecure. I'm going to see another friend this morning that still owns an autherised inspection station and get his opinion on it.

uncaged123
28-06-14, 09:40 PM
Elio, tell them you'll be lodging a complaint against them with Fair Trading for false inspection requirements, if the standard does not imply seats conditions. However check the respective standard to ensure Nixolus advise is correct. No offence Nixolus, it will put these guys on their arses if they are hit with facts. Cheers Rob S.

Elio S
29-06-14, 07:45 AM
Elio, tell them you'll be lodging a complaint against them with Fair Trading for false inspection requirements, if the standard does not imply seats conditions. However check the respective standard to ensure Nixolus advise is correct. No offence Nixolus, it will put these guys on their arses if they are hit with facts. Cheers Rob S.

I went to see another ais inspector mate of mine yesterday and he said he would'nt of failed it on the seats. We looked up AIS 105.8 (the rule they go me under) and nowhere in the rule does it mention anything about seat play. It says the seat must be securily mounted as well as the seat belt, and there must be no fraying of the seat belt. My friend did mention he does check the seats and the way he looks at it is are the seats going to break in the event of a major accident? If he thinks they are going to break then he obviously fails it. It's ultimately at the discretion of the inspector.
I do believe I figured out why it failed. I went back to the workshop and asked to speak to the inspector. This kid of about 22 years of age comes out from around the back. My guess is he just finished his apprenticeship and just got his AIS inspectors ticket, so he's crossing all his t's and dotting his i's covering his ass as best he can.
Friend also mentioned if I want a pink slip within 14 days of the original inspection, I have to go back to the original inspector. After that time you have to pay again, so you can go anywhere. I have until the end of July, so I'll wait a couple of weeks and get another one from somewhere else.