View Full Version : Freemans Water Hole Sunday 27/07/2014

Steve F
08-07-14, 12:16 PM
Where Freemans Waterhole
When 27/07/2014,
Meet Old Berowra Toll gates
Time 8:00am
Grade C through to B+
Requirements -- recovery points Front/Rear, recovery gear, radio, food/drink of choice, camera.
This run has unlimited numbers
Further info contact Steve F

This trip is a get to know you're Jeep trip, not just for beginners but rather an opportunity to try a bunch of terrain in a small localized area. Have a winch you'd like to try out, want to do a water crossing or try a short steep climb. Its all there and guidance and assistance is available. Bear in mind this is a small technical area and is a good learning area but there will be minimal distance covered so don't expect a day of driving but rather attempting different obstacles and seeing how your jeep works. Typically it finishes up at around 1:00pm.

It's also a great opportunity to let your passenger have a drive with experienced guidance in a control environment.

Attending:

1. Steve F
2. Teshie
3. Sfedek (Eddy)
4. Cpage66 (Chris)
5. Hunty (Hunty and Jax)
6. Flatfender (Ian)
7. JK_Menace (Dennis)
8. Jeep11 (Steve and Hayley)
9. Fussy (Richard and Sharon)
10. stevet
11. Easy77 (Dushan)
12. Jimm
13. Nuclear_JK (Thomas)
14. Dobbo56 (Dave)
15. Mathew (Visitor)
16. Cheryl (Visitor)
17. Tom (Visitor)
18. Rupicon (Rup)

Meeting point

-33.611422, 151.158997

Cheers
Steve

Teshie
08-07-14, 01:57 PM
Pls count me in, have got a stock TJ that I would love to see how it goes. Thanks.

sfedek
08-07-14, 03:52 PM
Please put me down Steve.

Eddy

Cpage66
08-07-14, 05:55 PM
Yep yep...

richhenning
08-07-14, 08:52 PM
Yep, I'll come along thanks Steve.

Rich

Flatfender
08-07-14, 09:04 PM
I'll be there!

Ian W.

jk_menace
09-07-14, 12:34 AM
Hi Steve,
yep,count me in.
cheers
dennis

Fussy
09-07-14, 07:38 PM
Hi Steve,
Please count us in.
Richard and Sharon

stevet
10-07-14, 10:09 PM
At this time, put my name down please............

Easy77
12-07-14, 12:19 AM
Yes, please put me on the list. Dushan.

Jimm
12-07-14, 09:59 PM
Steve can you please count me in.

Steve F
13-07-14, 11:22 AM
So who's going to demo the water crossing, I wont this time as I'll be in the JK and it was deep enough last tome to float my XJ a little ;)

Cheers
Steve

DLE068
13-07-14, 01:22 PM
Mani can be the test pilot

Steve F
13-07-14, 01:47 PM
I want a demo slow enough for all to see not a high speed rush of water over the roof ;)

Cheers
Steve

uncaged123
15-07-14, 01:04 PM
Mani did it twice the time I did the training day. That was when Wally got strucked in the reeds and mug.

nuclear_jk
15-07-14, 10:50 PM
I'm in :)

Thanks

Thomas

dobbo56
16-07-14, 10:54 AM
Put me down to, please Steve, I want to try my new AT's out in the dirt. Doggy Dave.

Steve F
17-07-14, 11:38 PM
Added a map of the meeting point to the first post for those that aren't familiar with the area

Cheers
Steve

rupicon
20-07-14, 05:21 PM
Hi stev put us down to please

richhenning
21-07-14, 06:36 PM
Hi Steve. Have been asked to babysit friends kids so won't be able to come along. Please take me off the list. Next time. Rich.

rich

nuclear_jk
22-07-14, 06:12 PM
Looking forward to having a wheel without worrying about my sills!

Steve F
23-07-14, 12:42 AM
Looking forward to having a wheel without worrying about my sills!
Pick you're spots then as there are some rocky steps that could do a sill in but plenty of sill friendly spots as well.

Cheers
Steve

Hunty
23-07-14, 01:38 AM
jax & I are in :)

nuclear_jk
23-07-14, 09:18 PM
Pick you're spots then as there are some rocky steps that could do a sill in but plenty of sill friendly spots as well.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve! I just installed a set of Rubicon sliders so I can breath easy.

Cpage66
26-07-14, 10:31 AM
How's the weather looking for tomorrow? Been raining quite hard over this way...

Steve F
26-07-14, 11:07 AM
Supposed to clear late today (6pm) and then sunny tomorrow, so we should still be Ok to go.

Cheers
Steve

dobbo56
26-07-14, 11:31 AM
It will be fun with my new, relatively tame "Sport" All Terrains , not as much bite as he Muddies. Looking forward to the day. Doggy.

Steve F
26-07-14, 11:35 AM
I'm running stock tyres. Less aggressive tread than on my work shoes ;)

Cheers
Steve

Cpage66
26-07-14, 12:04 PM
Supposed to clear late today (6pm) and then sunny tomorrow, so we should still be Ok to go.

Cheers
Steve

Good to go...

SteveC
26-07-14, 01:12 PM
It will be fun with my new, relatively tame "Sport" All Terrains , not as much bite as he Muddies. Looking forward to the day. Doggy.

Dave. I've now got AT and they have given me great service. Followed everyone else's so far

- - Sent from my Jeep

nuclear_jk
26-07-14, 02:12 PM
Looking forward to the mud!

stevet
26-07-14, 09:19 PM
May be working tomorrow, on stand-by.:distress::eek:.............. Will not know until the morning............ So have fun if I am not there..:smile-new:........

richhenning
26-07-14, 09:39 PM
My jeep is still in the dealer workshop, and I have been given a pass for tomorrow, so I'm jumping in with Thomas. I'll be the club photographer tomorrow.

Rich

Steve F
26-07-14, 10:51 PM
See you all in the morning, weather is looking good so thunderbirds are go ;)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
27-07-14, 03:27 PM
Was a great morning, I hope everyone had a bit of fun, I know Ian did ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrZ2iKwujqk

Cheers
Steve

Hunty
27-07-14, 05:12 PM
I had a blast - thanx Steve for organising a great day out :) sweet Vid too
Today I ran Tail end Charlie and after 100km all 20 jeeps were still convoyed together so close that I saw Steve put his blinker on to turn off the freeway - sweet

dobbo56
27-07-14, 06:31 PM
Yes a most pleasant day out with the SJC, amazing what a JK will do on street tires. Thanks Steve for putting this trip together, Doggy Dave.

Steve F
27-07-14, 06:47 PM
Got to admit I had fun watching that Patrol bang and thrash about on the slightly muddy climb to the left of the wide rock one, and then when he finished and finally spun his way to the top Chris (in his stock looking XJ) and me in my stock as a rock JK on factory tyres, both walked up the climb one after the other :)

Cheers
Steve

Jeep11
27-07-14, 06:49 PM
Today was a great day out, in total we had 15+ jeeps attend this trip.All met this morning at the meeting spot on time which seen us on the road by 8.10am, the convoy looked impressive as it rolled down the expressway. Once reaching Freemans Waterhole we found that we would be sharing the quarry with the Bush Fire Brigade Who were conducting training, all was good after a short discussion, the trip leader negotiated shared use of the quarry.
The day was full of first for many jeep drivers, this is a great location for everyone to get to know their jeeps with many different terrains and skill levels. I would like to say thank you to the trip leader (Steve F) for arranging a great trip.
Steve and Hayley

dobbo56
27-07-14, 06:58 PM
Im Still trying to pry my seat cover out of my bum...............................

Jeep11
27-07-14, 07:11 PM
http://youtu.be/hCy78VbiGVU a short clip from today LOL

sfedek
27-07-14, 07:19 PM
Thanks for a great day out Steve & Sydney Jeep Club.

Eddy

Hunty
27-07-14, 08:13 PM
http://youtu.be/hCy78VbiGVU a short clip from today LOL

Maaaaaate, thanx heaps for the great video - would it be ok with you if I put it on my YT channel ? cheers Hunty

nuclear_jk
27-07-14, 08:17 PM
Thanks for a great day. Particular thanks to Hunty for the couple of snatches!

Flatfender
27-07-14, 08:58 PM
Thanks to Steve F for another good day out. Great turnout and beautiful weather, although it was a bit chilly on the way up the freeway even with 5 layers of clothing on. Good to see that 72 year olds (the flatfender and me) can keep up with some of the new ones. But having just watched Steve's video I now know why my steering wheel was 45 degrees out in a straight line on the way home! - Out with the spanners again!
Ian W.

Steve F
27-07-14, 09:04 PM
Thanks to Steve F for another good day out. Great turnout and beautiful weather, although it was a bit chilly on the way up the freeway even with 5 layers of clothing on. Good to see that 72 year olds (the flatfender and me) can keep up with some of the new ones. But having just watched Steve's video I now know why my steering wheel was 45 degrees out in a straight line on the way home! - Out with the spanners again!
Ian W.

You're lucky none of your air bags went off ;) That Jeep of yours is a great machine to watch, old school and does it all with ease.

Cheers
Steve

redrubi
27-07-14, 09:05 PM
Maaaaaate, thanx heaps for the great video - would it be ok with you if I put it on my YT channel ? cheers Hunty
And you made it over BIG RED !!! Hahahahaaaaa!!!

jk_menace
27-07-14, 10:34 PM
Thank you Steve , great day, great group of people, looking forward to getting together again soon.
Cheers.

Easy77
27-07-14, 10:37 PM
Footage of Teshie wheeling hard his TJ. He was wheeling so hard I thought I was filming Hunty... only to realise the whole jeep was red, not just having a red snorkel... ssshhh don't tell Hunty. Lol.
http://youtu.be/tBiHgXBVK0w

richhenning
27-07-14, 11:03 PM
Thanks for a great day Steve. I was a passenger today, so thanks to Thomas for letting me tag along.
Here's a link for some pics and vids.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dpy2imicx2ymyoz/AAC0nT30JkQw6Qbh6mcgv7nFa

cheers,
rich

sessel52
27-07-14, 11:25 PM
Hey Everyone! Thanks for an amazing trip. This was our first day out with Sydney Jeep Club but we had a lot of fun with our TJ.
Thanks Steve for organising the trip and everyone who helped us out - especially Richard and Sharon!
P.S. We also have the same issue as Ian with the steering wheel. Is this an easy fix?

Tom and Charlotte

Teshie
27-07-14, 11:40 PM
Footage of Teshie wheeling hard his TJ. He was wheeling so hard I thought I was filming Hunty... only to realise the whole jeep was red, not just having a red snorkel... ssshhh don't tell Hunty. Lol.
http://youtu.be/tBiHgXBVK0w

That is awesome, was thrilling doing that. Thanks for the video Dushan, looks like a novice version of Hunty's efforts, his JK goes everywhere and even recovers everyone.

Thanks to Steve for guiding me through that one and for organising the day out. Great fun, fantastic location for trying out different terrains and glad to see some new faces on the club trip. Go SJC !!!

Easy77
28-07-14, 08:26 AM
Another clip - Hunty pushing Hunno. This is filmed from "the other side".

http://youtu.be/w8cxulNx8u8

dobbo56
28-07-14, 03:07 PM
Excellent footage there Rich, thanks for sharing.Doggy.

Flatfender
28-07-14, 09:06 PM
P.S. We also have the same issue as Ian with the steering wheel. Is this an easy fix?
Tom and Charlotte[/QUOTE]

I had a look over my steering today to see why my steering wheel is now 45 degrees off center. Checked the toe-in which was still OK and couldn't see anything loose or bent so I adjusted the drag link to align the steering again. Then on a test run, braking hard over a dip in the road I heard a loud clunk and found on closer inspection that the bush in the front left hand spring eye had disintegrated allowing the axle to move back slightly on that side. Hopefully if I fit new bushes on both sides it should line up OK again - then I will have to re-adjust the steering back to where it was before. Never ending is it? With any luck when I pull it apart I won't find any damage to the spring eye which would mean replacing the main spring leaf.
Cheers
Ian W.

Hunno
29-07-14, 07:02 PM
And you made it over BIG RED !!! Hahahahaaaaa!!!

Yes Andy, I did climb Big Red first go!!! Who else did???????? Andy???. Bah!!! & remember I've got the videos from the top!!!!

while we're on the subject Who towed you over BIG RED mate?

AV8
30-07-14, 10:43 AM
Hunno, got your message about parts from Wolfe during your central oz trip, unfortunately I don't have the parts, definitely not wrecking my Grand and was away too. Just selling surplus bits and bobs.

BTW, just from a technical stand point, I have seen (youtube) that quite a couple grands inc the WK make it over Big Red and some seemingly more capable vehicle don't. In your opinion what did you do different that got you over? Not sure if you have Quadra Drive/Trac or the V8? More aggressive driving/ Picked the right line?

I got over some big hills at Stockton some years ago where a 200 Cruiser and 2 Patrols did not. They were heavier perhaps? Having said that, I got bogged in some super soft dry sand and had to be rescued by one of the Patrols with 35s. :worked_till_5am:

redrubi
30-07-14, 07:09 PM
Yes Andy, I did climb Big Red first go!!! Who else did???????? Andy???. Bah!!! & remember I've got the videos from the top!!!!

while we're on the subject Who towed you over BIG RED mate?
OUCH:highly_amused:

Easy77
31-07-14, 09:47 PM
I also have some pictures that I took on the day. View/grab some here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/clk3rao3u6kv6xx/AADXvO9KbfvWFNcOjO0jpQsMa

scarlettroseb
31-07-14, 11:13 PM
I had a look over my steering today to see why my steering wheel is now 45 degrees off center. Checked the toe-in which was still OK and couldn't see anything loose or bent so I adjusted the drag link to align the steering again. Then on a test run, braking hard over a dip in the road I heard a loud clunk and found on closer inspection that the bush in the front left hand spring eye had disintegrated allowing the axle to move back slightly on that side. Hopefully if I fit new bushes on both sides it should line up OK again - then I will have to re-adjust the steering back to where it was before. Never ending is it? With any luck when I pull it apart I won't find any damage to the spring eye which would mean replacing the main spring leaf.
Cheers
Ian W.

Thanks for the info Ian! I tried having a look at it, then gave up and got some boys at Bob Jane to fix it for me :redface-new: :hopelessness:
I'm sure I'll learn... eventually... haha. Hope yours doesn't give you too much grief.

Charlotte

Easy77
11-08-14, 08:26 PM
Video clip from Freemans Waterhole - this is a compilation of the short clips that took on the day:

http://youtu.be/czjrOHvE53k

I didn't include "the push" here; this one is all nice, everyone looks pretty :encouragement:

Enjoy

dobbo56
11-08-14, 08:33 PM
Excellent, Thanks for posting that. Doggy.

Steve F
11-08-14, 08:49 PM
Nice video :)

Cheers
Steve