PDA

View Full Version : Caves to Caves

uncaged123
11-07-14, 02:16 PM
Because of the weather and a personal commitment, I unfortunately had to postpone the last organised trip earlier this year. However it is hope that the weather stay fine and my personal issues now will allow me to run this trip. I propose to run this trip on either the first or second weekend in November starting from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon. I will put up details shortly. Cheers Rob S

richhenning
12-07-14, 10:19 AM
Hi Rob. Just curious if you think this trip would be suitable for a camper trailer? I am thinking of hiring one to ease the family into camping a bit more.

rich

sfedek
12-07-14, 10:55 AM
Sounds good, I'm in

Eddy

uncaged123
12-07-14, 02:50 PM
Hi Rich I'm not sure, maybe some of the others members who done this trip in the past can advise you. I have a soft floor camper trailer myself, however I will not be taking it as it takes to long to set up and pack. Maybe if you wish to take a trailer hire a hard floor camper which is quicker to set up and pack. Beside I'm not sure how much space will be at our first night campsite, although Wombeyan Caves won't be a problem. Regards Rob S

uncaged123
12-07-14, 06:46 PM
Rescheduled proposed Jenolan Caves to Wombeyan Caves 3 days weekend trip.
Date: Friday 7th to Sunday 9th November
Grading: D to C+ or moderate. If you would like to obtain maps google NP&WL web site where you could possibly download maps.
Requirements: Recovery points Front and Rear, recovery gear, radio, spare parts as recommended by tag along operators, camera, food and drinks of choice, partner, boy/girl friends, etc. Newbies are welcome to join this trip.

Proposed itinerary
Friday 7th - Meet at Blaxland at 8:30am in the Caltex Servo to the left side, travelling up the GWH, for a 9am departure. Those wishing to have a coffee and/or cake/pie, there are two good cake shops in the village shopping centre in the back street parallel with the GWH.

We will top up our fuel supply at Mt Victoria before proceeding to Jenolan Caves for a lunch break and quick look around. Afterward we'll travel onward to the junction where Kanangra Walls Road/Trail begins. We will travel down it until we reach the fork in the trail and take the left track pass the Boyd River camp ground toward Kanangra Wall to check out its wonderful scenery. Then we will back track to the junction in the trail and travel along Morong Creek Trail to Kowmung River Fire Trail, and onto Dingo Dell camping area for our first night rest. If you keen on fishing you could try a little trout fishing, but you will need a licence.

Saturday 8th - After a hearty breakfast we'll proceed toward Mt Werong and take the trail to Yerranderie and Government Town to look at these old gold settlements. Yerranderie is a private town and there will be a cost to enter, will advise of costs soon. After we inspect these historic towns we will return to the junction at Mt Werong and turn left onto Range Fire Trail and travel to Wombeyan Caves for our second night camping. Depending on where we camp, fees applies to Yerranderie and Wombeyan Caves at $12.00 per person/night as they provide shower facilities. All other camping areas are free. I've enquired with NP at Wombeyan Caves, no prior booking needed for campers or camper-trailers. We'll pay the camp fees per person on arrival.

Sunday 9th - We may inspect one of the caves before heading back to the Hume H/way via Mittagong or Goulburn depending on everyone decision, before heading home.

Note: It is advisable to bring with you 1-2 litre of fresh drinking water / per person / per day.

Please post below if you are interested in coming.

Regards RobS

Interested Parties:
1) RobS @ uncaged123
2) Dennis @ jk_menace
3) Herison @ hmr73
4) Shannon @ Aus_Jeep
5) Dean @ McHowe
6) Keith @ Keef_7
7) Cobus
8) Charlotte & Tom @ scarlettroseb
9) Dru & Kerry
10) Hunty & Jac

DanD
13-07-14, 09:09 PM
Hi Rob,

Can you please put me down for this one, sounds like a great weekend away!

Dan

jk_menace
14-07-14, 04:13 PM
Hi Rob,
Put me down as well, sounds good.
Cheers
Dennis

nuclear_jk
22-07-14, 06:30 PM
Hi Rob. Just curious if you think this trip would be suitable for a camper trailer? I am thinking of hiring one to ease the family into camping a bit more.

rich

Hi Rich,

I did this trip earlier this year and I don't think you would have any issue with a trailer.

Thomas

richhenning
23-07-14, 08:22 AM
Ok thanks Thomas

rich

richhenning
23-07-14, 08:23 AM
Hi Rob. Please put me down thanks.

rich

sfedek
30-07-14, 08:19 PM
I have a friend who is interested in doing this trip with us. Is he able to tag along? He is in a Troopie?

Eddy

tom2016
02-08-14, 11:58 AM
Hi Rob,
Sounds like a fun weekend and I always wanted to do this trip! Please put me down.
Many thanks,
Thomas

Aus_Jeep
04-08-14, 07:11 AM
Hi Rob,

Very new to this forum and would be awesome to come along on one of the trips like this to get to know a few of you.
Doing a rebuild on mine at the moment but should be finished well before the planned trip date so would be awesome if you could put me on the list.

Cheers
Shannon.

bert-a
05-08-14, 05:37 PM
Hi Rob,
Pls put me and my wife on the list.

Thanks,
Bert

stevet
15-08-14, 11:50 PM
I have requested the needed days off from work but will have to wait closer to time to see if I get them.:hopelessness:....:smile-new:....... But please put me down for the run.............. Will need some help to get the tent up..Toooo short..:smile-new:.............

uncaged123
04-09-14, 03:57 AM
Hi all, I'll up date the list shortly. Yes Eddy they can join us. Steve we'll help you with your tent, thats what members do, help each other.

Cheers Rob S

bert-a
08-09-14, 10:08 PM
Hi Rob,

4wdriving and camping would be a good weekend away. please put me and my wife on the list.

Thanks,
bert-a

McHowe
12-09-14, 09:37 PM
Hello - being new to the club, this sounds like a great short trip and a nice chance to get to know other club members. Please put us down for 2. Looking forward to getting away and having some off road fun... Will be attending the next club meeting on the 1st Oct so can talk about whats needed from us then.

Thanks,
Dean.

Keef_7
21-09-14, 02:12 PM
Hi All,

We were interested in doing this trip but we have a camper. The advice that the trip is suitable for camper trailers is correct but Dingo Dell (first night stop) is tent camping only.

Regards,
Keith

uncaged123
22-09-14, 09:17 PM
Keith, I'll look at where a camper can be used then I'll look at the proposed itineray for possible changes. However.I own a spare 6 person tent you could use if thats ok with you. You could hire or buy stretcher beds to use with the tent.

Cheers Rob S.

Keef_7
26-09-14, 08:04 PM
Hi Rob,
You don't need to change it for us. I just posted the info because I saw somebody was looking at hiring a camper for it (I was just too lazy to go back a page and look at who it was), it was Rich. Thanks for the offer of a tent but Melissa's back doesn't do camp stretchers any more. Appreciate it though.

Cheers,
Keith

sfedek
29-09-14, 04:34 PM
Sounds good, I'm in

Eddy

I cannot make it now guys.

Well there goes this idea.

Bugger

Eddy

AV8
29-09-14, 06:37 PM
Syl and I did this trip on our own last year over two days. First night was spent at Jenolan Caves Hotel. The original plan for the second day was to cross the Kowmung to Dingo Dell then Yerranderie-Mittagong(refuel)-Sydney. Unfortunately the weather was really wet and the water level at Kowmung was high and the flow was dangerously fast. So, no go on the crossing there. We had to do a 20 point turn to turn the Jeep around with half of the Jeep in the water. We were glad we did not have a camper trailer then. A U turn would have been an impossibility on the steep and narrow fire trail leading down to the Kowmung. Please double check the weather and river level prior to the trip.

After that we headed back to Kanangra Road heading north, then turned west to Edith Road and afterwards south to Shooters Hill, Abercrombie Road and made our way to Yerranderie. From Jenolan Caves, all that took 5 hours. Last refuel was at Mt Victoria, I think, the previous day. Fuel tank total was about 100L.

Yerranderie was a wonderful private town in the middle of the bush there. Really one of a kind. We picked up our spit BBQ that someone was selling there for $60. !! Very exxy at BBQs Galore.

By the time we got out at Mittagong fuel was nearly empty, about 10ks to go probably.

In summary, please check the weather (Flooded rivers/Bush Fire) and have plenty of Gas! We used 2 x 20L Jerries extra to the tiny 60L GC tank. Oh yeah, plenty of roos, so drive with care.

Enjoy peeps.

Heidi
30-09-14, 07:50 AM
If it is one camper or two you could probably fit them in the car park and get parked in by the other jeeps. If towing and rain is predicted i would go around the long way and meet up with the group later.

If you want to fit in Yerrandarie and wombeyen in the same weekend may want to consider either the hut or bat shit camp for first night so you have some time at Yerrandarie

glend
30-09-14, 10:12 AM
There is room for camper trailers at the Hut where we camped several years ago when when we did that trip - at the spot near where the ute rolled. Brian and Heidi led that trip so they would know the proper name of the hut - its on further from Dingo Dell, and good shelter with a fireplace.

Dave
30-09-14, 11:41 AM
There is room for camper trailers at the Hut where we camped several years ago when when we did that trip - at the spot near where the ute rolled. Brian and Heidi led that trip so they would know the proper name of the hut - its on further from Dingo Dell, and good shelter with a fireplace.

Yes, I was on that trip with Glen, I think it was the old ranger station. A good campsite!

Dave

uncaged123
30-09-14, 05:23 PM
Those who intend to bring a camper trailer, please ensure it a hardfloor type with an electric brake system and a good vehicle connection. Also bring plenty of fresh drinking water. Recommend 2 litre per person per day.

Please refer to the following post regarding camping.

Cheers Rob S

uncaged123
30-09-14, 05:38 PM
Sorry I tried to install an update last night, but it didn't go through.

I contacted Obéron NP staff who advised me that there is room for 1-2 camper-trailers. I also drove up there yesterday to check out camping sites but didn't go right to the dingo dell camping area. There is a nice flat area next to the Kowmong River which I think can accommodate us all. If we park our jeeps on the hillside. Its just after crossing the river before going up the hill, and is a good location to try a spot of trout fishing.

Cheers Rob S

tom2016
01-10-14, 09:59 PM
Hi Rob,
Sorry I cannot join this trip anymore, have to work the weekend.
Have fun everybody !

Thomas

hmr73
03-10-14, 09:23 PM
I am interested as well

cheers
Herison

Keef_7
05-10-14, 01:03 PM
Excellent, we're definite then. We have a Vista RV, so it has electric brakes, drop on hitch and there's no room needed to fold out. We live in Bowen Mountain (other side of Blue Mountains), so we will probably meet you at Mt Victoria.

Cheers,
Keith

uncaged123
08-10-14, 02:39 AM
Hi Herison I've included you on the list. It will be good to meet all the members I haven't met to date, and to catch up with others from previous weekend trips.

Please note that if you're intending to try trout fishing, make sure that you obtain an inland fishing licence before the weekend.

Regards Rob S

uncaged123
11-10-14, 12:11 PM
Hi all,

A personal matter may require me to change this trip to either the weekend before or the following weekend. If this does happen could those coming on this trip please let me know which weekend would suit them.

Also those newbies should consider joining Steve Foster on his recce trip, to obtain some benefical experience.

Thanks Rob S

hmr73
13-10-14, 04:56 PM
I can't make 25th of this month and can't do 15th of November. Either, let me know

stevet
13-10-14, 11:21 PM
Hi all,

A personal matter may require me to change this trip to either the weekend before or the following weekend. If this does happen could those coming on this trip please let me know which weekend would suit them.

Also those newbies should consider joining Steve Foster on his recce trip, to obtain some benefical experience.

Thanks Rob S
Dow'H...:heart-borken:....... I have to apply 3/4 months ahead for roster request's............ That particular roster is not out yet, so more the likely I will be out for the run....:hopelessness:.........

AV8
13-10-14, 11:58 PM
Dow'H...:heart-borken:....... I have to apply 3/4 months ahead for roster request's............ That particular roster is not out yet, so more the likely I will be out for the run....:hopelessness:.........

Don't be too upset Steve, it's not canned yet. It may require a change of date but then again it may not. There is still a chance.. :)

uncaged123
15-10-14, 09:28 PM
Hi everyone, I've managed to sort out my personal matter without needing to change the dates. 7th to 9th November as planned.

Cheers Rob

stevet
15-10-14, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone, I've managed to sort out my personal matter without needing to change the dates. 7th to 9th November as planned.

Cheers Rob
The roster will be out next week/or 2....:single_eye:.......Fingers crossed.......:smile-new:............

Cobus
19-10-14, 05:01 PM
Count me in please...

DanD
19-10-14, 06:08 PM
Gday Rob,

Apologies as I need to have my JK serviced asap (rear brake pads getting way too low to be fixed along with the service along with catching up on work that weekend :/ ) I wont be able to make this one sorry.

Dan

richhenning
19-10-14, 06:29 PM
Hi Rob, apologies but we will have to pull out of this trip due to being double booked with other family duties. Thanks for arranging and hopefully next time. Rich.

Rich

uncaged123
19-10-14, 08:16 PM
No problen Rich, see you on Saturday with Steve's recce trip.

Cheers Rob

hmr73
24-10-14, 08:55 AM
Hi Rob,

Just letting you know I asked fisheries if we had to have another license for fishing trout. Those who have their NSW recreational fishing license cover all waters in NSW.
At this stage I am all good for the trip - By the way can edit my member number on the list - hmr73

stevet
24-10-14, 11:59 PM
Yaah,
Got the time off requested......:smile-new:......... Have a friend whom would like to come along for the run if there is spots left......First timer and in a FJ Cruiser..:highly_amused:...:single_eye:.......Go figure??

uncaged123
25-10-14, 12:40 AM
No problem hmr73, will fix. Great news Steve, and yes we'll fit your friend in. Lets see how the fj matches up against wranglers.

Cheers Rob

AV8
25-10-14, 11:35 AM
Nothing wrong with FJs. ;)

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k610/joyschtik/ae27dd9a6e6b3c074d36efec0d649c2b.jpg

Just needs Currie Anti Rock and she'll be apples.

stevet
25-10-14, 02:27 PM
Nothing wrong with FJs. ;)

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k610/joyschtik/ae27dd9a6e6b3c074d36efec0d649c2b.jpg

Just needs Currie Anti Rock and she'll be apples.
Know little about them...:smile-new:........ But the FJ does have IFS not a solid front axle as shown in the pic....:indecisiveness:....... It will be sort of fun anyway being a first timer as well.:highly_amused:.:smile-new:.............

AV8
25-10-14, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I know. That's after surgery, SAS. What the make is does not matter, just how it is built and driven. IMHO

Have a great time. Wombeyan to Mittagong drive is awesome. Have the GoPros on for sure

Hunno
25-10-14, 07:42 PM
I agree Sal, I don't care about the make, Credit where Credit is due.

Lord Help Me I'm in to JEEP!

stevet
25-10-14, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I know. That's after surgery, SAS. What the make is does not matter, just how it is built and driven. IMHO

Have a great time. Wombeyan to Mittagong drive is awesome. Have the GoPros on for sure
True, but it's still fun seeing the changes to the faces of newbee's once some confidence was gained.:smile-new:............. Some good time's indeed had..:smile-new:.... Did a few in my time (1st timers).....:smile-new:............. Never had a GPS thingy, just usually tried to remember the way....:highly_amused:.. Sometimes turns out fun getting a little lost..:highly_amused:... Bit old school I suppose.....:smile-new:..........

scarlettroseb
28-10-14, 06:05 PM
Hi Rob, if this trip is still on the 7th-9th I think Tom and I would be interested in tagging along. We've only been to the last Freeman's waterhole trip but pretty keen for another adventure!

Charlotte

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncaged123
29-10-14, 04:44 AM
Hi Charlotte, I've included you and Tom on the list. See you on the 7th.

Regards Rob

stevet
29-10-14, 09:46 PM
Sorry Rob. I am out for the run.....:hopelessness:..... health not holding out the best presently D'owh!.:grumpy:................
Stephen T.
P.S. My friend will also not be coming.............

uncaged123
30-10-14, 05:34 AM
No problem Steve, I'm considering the possibility or doing another caves to caves trip early in the new year, before school recommence for 2015. You could consider doing that trip.

Cheers Rob

Dru
30-10-14, 01:17 PM
Looks like Kerry and I can make this. Might need to buy a new tent��

Can you fit us in?

uncaged123
31-10-14, 12:26 AM
Hi Dru, yes I've included you on the list.

I can help you with a tent for the weekend too. Its a 6 person tent and I've have strong pegs after my trip to the Snowy Mountains in January. I purchased a black wolf turbo after the trip which I will use.

Cheers Rob

Dru
01-11-14, 05:09 PM
Thanks Rob. We are all tented up now. :-)

uncaged123
01-11-14, 05:36 PM
Dear All,

Before I forget please note the following check list for those doing the caves to caves 3 days trip.
1) Please advise family members and provide them with a copy of the itineary.
2) Ensure you have a first aide kit, insect repelance body spray, sunscreen cream and hat, good hiking/walking shoes.
3) Take plenty of drinking water and food. Includes a little more incase of the unexpected.
4) A strong rubbish bag to take out our rubbish, to deposit at a public disposal point.
5) Pack your vehicle/clothing to cover what you expect you'll need. Some people over pack and it takes them longer to secure their gear in the morning.
6) Please sms to me your rego, full names and next of kin contact details. I'll be passing them on to the National Parks Rangers at Oberon and Wombeyan Caves.
7) I'll be providing National Parks our trip details with a list of those attending.
8) I have a personal location device for the unexpected emergency, I'm considering buying a stat phone for remote area usage.

I think that cover everything, maybe someone could bring a bush saw incase I forget to pack one.

Regards Rob S

Keef_7
02-11-14, 08:10 PM
Hi Rob,

We will have our Sat phone, if it's needed. We will be coming across the Blue Mountains to Mt Victoria, if your leaving Blaxland at 9, we should see you at MT Victoria about 10.

uncaged123
03-11-14, 04:24 AM
Thanks Keef_7, Hunty you're most welcome and your expertise will be an asset.

bert-a
05-11-14, 06:46 PM
Hi Rob.

Sorry Mate I have to cancell this trip. Im all set and ready to go then last Sunday (02 Nov.) my TJ develop a problem that need to be sort out
and I need some technical advice. The problem is when low range is engage and you steer/turn the car a loud chrunching/knocking noise emanate from
front diff. I suspect it could be the planetary. Any suggestion which mechanic to take the car. I live near Springwood.

Enjoy the Caves to Caves camping and offroading.

Bert-a

uncaged123
06-11-14, 05:31 AM
No problem Bert, sorry to hear about your mechanical problems. Send a post to Eddy G, he has set up a jeep mechnical service business with two colleagues in Blacktown.

I'm looking at arranging a couple of others 4wd/camping weekends in the new year. Hopefully you'll be right for them.

Cheers Rob

uncaged123
06-11-14, 05:41 AM
Dear All,

As advised at the club meeting, we'll be.camping at the Boyd River camping area, and not the Dingo Dell camping area. We'll also now camp at Government Town on Saturday night and travel to Wombeyan Caves on Sunday, then return home.

Cheers Rob

Cobus
07-11-14, 07:36 AM
Road Trip!!!!!!

Hunty
09-11-14, 09:35 PM
Thanx Rob, for organising the Caves to Caves trip, Jax & I had a blast :)
I got to test a really nice camper (well it belonged to Keith & Melissa) and because their Jeep refused to engage Low I got to tow it and WoW it tows amazingly - independent coils etc awesome!
Twas also great to meet so many great Jeepers and check out their camping cred. I look forward to spending more Jeeping time with you all
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/sjcjeepcamp_zpse7c69037.jpg~original (http://s685.photobucket.com/user/ashunty/media/sjcjeepcamp_zpse7c69037.jpg.html)

jk_menace
09-11-14, 09:49 PM
Hi Rob, Great weekend thanks for organising. Always great to meet new Jeepers. We had a ball.
Cheers
Dennis & Eleni ����

hmr73
09-11-14, 10:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

Any objections on me Posting some of the photos directly on the forum ?

Cheers
Herison (Hery)

uncaged123
10-11-14, 05:01 AM
A grÊât group of jeepers made it a good weekend, many thanks to hunty with his vast knowledge he shared with us newbies or near newbies. Dru passed his advance driving test by successfully demontrating a snatch and jerk recovery, under supervision of instructor hunty ! Some of those on the weekend have indicated thry would like training in recovery techniques. I beleive that this is a good idea for training trip leaders for jambo.

Others possible weekends camping venues could be Jenplan Caves; Wombeyan Caves to explore the caves and surround area above ground.

jk_menace
10-11-14, 08:09 AM
Hi Herison, No probs here mate, go fo it. It was great meeting you and your crew.
cheers
Dennis.

Hunno
10-11-14, 08:30 AM
Just a quick note: re driver familiarisation in recovery was done last time prior Jambo & will be again. For those who where at the last meeting it was spoken about by The Boss Lady.

Lord Help Me I'm in to JEEP!

Dru
10-11-14, 01:05 PM
We are going to have to rely on others for pics – I still don’t seem to have forum “rights” for the albums and photos. But as I got volunteered for the trip report, I can still type!

I think it’s fair to say that Caves to Caves is a well-known Sydney 4wd trip. This one very similar to 4WD Treks Close To SydneyTrek no 19. Rated as “medium” grade in this book, it’s fair enough to assume that SJC would call it D grade. An easy trek on good trails, low range needed for the crossing of the River and Dingo Dell camping spot due to a steep-ish climb, but nowhere that really needs picking lines or anything technical. Other than fuel planning, it’s a comfortable trip.

This said the trek routes through some astonishing country. The ridge roads provide for some spectacular scenery. I suspect that for D grade, it just doesn’t get any better than this.

Friday
We gradually gathered, ultimately at the Mount Victoria turn off for final fuel. Great to see some faces we know:
1.Rob uncaged,our venerable trip leader. JKU
2.Dennis and Elany, jk_menace. JKU

And some new friends:
3.Keith and Melissa. Commander and 4WD trailer
4.Simon and Dean. JK Outlander
5.Charlotte and Tom, really cool TJ
6.Herison (Harry) and Goran, with kids Nick andGrace, Grand Cherokee (with MTZ’s)
7.Cobus. JK

Hunty and Jacquie are joining us tonight in the famed, highly modified JK and with a trailer this trip. So with Kerry and myself (Dru) we start as a convoy of 8 but will end up 9.

So Kerry and I have been in the club for only a couple of months, Dennis and Elany about the same. Herison a member since at least the last Jambo, but most of the convoy are SJC newbies. A range of experience from nothing (me) to plenty. Could bei nteresting and no doubt the experience of Rob and Hunty will be useful!

Run into Jenolan is uneventful. Stop to look around and stretch legs. Interesting spot, but time to hit the dirt. Our camp site is the Boyd River camping area. We set up camp then look to a mini trek. The intended out and back route to Kanangra Walls is off limits. The SES are in search mode for a missing person, the track has been closed.

So we head back up the trail and cross to Dingo Dell with a sub-group of 6 vehicles. Cobus on the lead. That wonderful Saffer accent over the radio, “Just passed a sign that says ‘4WD only’. Hope they mean it!” And it did get tighter and steeper for the drop into the river.

Interesting discussion at the crossing which is steep-ish at the exit. I’m wondering how Harry will go. The first couple of JKs show some slippy spots but it’s simple. Then the Grand Cherokee. Not the slightest hesitation. (so much for my entertainment!) The TJ with Charlotte at the wheel also makes it look like a Sunday picnic. As TEC I cross, going to be amusing if I have problems. Nope, easy. We gauge our trip on the amount of sunlight. Turn back once we hit graded trails. Tail becomes Leader, Leader becomes TEC. Hell my first lead. Pretty easy when you just travelled it!

Back to camp at 6:30pm. Hunty and Jacqui have arrived. Fire ban, so we use lanterns for our gathering at the Boyd River camp hut. Hunty works his brain tricks to catch names “Dru and Kerry, Silver JK. Shorty.” Slight focus where I can hear his thoughts (stock). So that’s it then. Critical info is Silver Stock. That’s me told. ;-)

Dru
10-11-14, 01:06 PM
Saturday
Some discussion on fuel after our run yesterday afternoon. The Grand Cherokee seems to be lowest, it is thought we can make Wombeyan, if not at least the next camp. Rob volunteers to do a fuel run if it is needed. Fuel planning is important on this trip.

To be honest, there’s a little bit of “herding cats” going on. Finally we are queued up. Radio Check. “Blip, buzz, blip, squawk”. Hunty takes control. Very friendly but clear, “OK, I’m behind Rob, radio check Rob”. Rob Check. “Dru and Kerry, Silver JK” (Ah!) Dru and Kerry check. And so on, all names and cars rattled off perfectly. Simple demonstration there, to all us newbies.

I probably should have expected it, but turns out our trip yesterday is the exact route we are taking today. Well at least the crossing will be a cruise.

Some chatter about “where and when” for low range. Turns out that Keith and Melisa have suffered a computer fail. Murphy says “if something can go wrong, it will”. But his mate adds “and at the least appropriate time”. So we all make it down to the lowest point of the descent at the crossing. There is no way out now but up. And the Commander towing trailer has nothing but high range.

All is good until the trailer hits the steepest bit. High range, plus turbot lag leaves the Commander with almost, but not quite, enough for the river exit. Hunty works the B plan making sure we are all happy. Our Ruby is put to the task of snatch vehicle. A first for us. Private tuition! Kerry’s eyebrows are up, and her pupils are tiny spots. I stifle a giggle (wouldn’t be polite, would it?) But the snatch works fine.

But there is plenty to climb yet. It’s steep enough to justify low, but probably not entirely necessary… unless you have a trailer. Hunty works the C plan. We will assist Keith and Melisa with the snatch up the ascent. Kerry has a quiet chat to me. “Dru, what’s wrong with your eyes, they seem to be all white.” Nothing, absolutely nothing. It’s all good. And actually it doesn’t prove to be much problem to the JK, but we are seeing the Commander transmission over heating.

Disconnect battery to reset the computer. Fail. Hunty to plan D. Hunty and Jacqui swap to pull the heavy trailer. Kerry and I take Hunty’s light trailer. The Commander will be fine in High without that extra load.

Success!

On the radio through the steep bits. Hunty “Rob, GoGoGoGo!” Rob “I’m stalled”. Is it just me or is there a small communication break down there? Sorry Rob, couldn’t help it!;-) Turns out Hunty is without electronic brakes to the heavy trailer. Wow. Still the climb is over soon enough.

Anyway, it is easy travel through to Yerranderie and the camp site. Spectacular scenery from the ridge tops, through the trees. Worth the trip just for that alone.

The silver mine is lovely. Showers, toilets. Goanna’s, kangaroos, possums, bell birds in the back ground. Wonderful. Another lantern social. Hunty can’t get work off his mind so has decided to return straight and early to Sydney in the morning. Keith and Melissa will head out on their own, no problem with these graded tracks, but won’t join us through to Wombeyan. More discussion over fuel.

Sunday
Well after such an eventfull weekend, we ended in a bit of a damp squib. Harry is driving on his fuel gauge. Don’t know about the others, Kerry and I aren’t as bad as Harry, but we are planning fuel stop to the kilometre! We back up the track through Mount Werong. Harry goes empty. So we divert to the nearest fuel rather than stick to the trails to Wombeyan.

I suspect the distance isn’t that different, but we are headed to the nearest fuel at Taralga. Fuel station is closed. On to Goulbourn. Phew.

Harry has travelled 90k on empty.

It’s an exhausting end, but I suspect most of us will be looking to return Wombeyan in the not too distant.

Acknowledgements:
Thank you Rob. Fantastic weekend. And you have been planning this through quite some personal difficulties. We all truly wish you the best, and hope that SJP continues to provide an outlet. I know I get a bit stir crazy these days if I haven’t been wheelin’ for a while.

The incorrigible Hunty and extraordinary Jacqui. Thanks guys. Real eye opener. Always knew that there wasn’t a project on a JK that you haven’t been through. I did not however suspect that for each of those projects you have tried 43 different methods of doing it. I wouldn’t mind a bottle of those “smart arse” pills of yours!

The convoy! Thanks guys. Great to make new friends. Hope to see you again on your next SJC trip.

uncaged123
10-11-14, 01:44 PM
Thanks Dru for doing the report, you're off the list for the next trip report. Great job !!!

Cheers Rob

Hunty
10-11-14, 06:02 PM
WoW Dru - you have definitely written the most comprehensive TR in the history of the club LoL thanx heaps cheers Hunty

Dieselcon
10-11-14, 09:27 PM
awesome .....Thanks straight to the wave it goes :)

hmr73
10-11-14, 09:57 PM
Wow Dru,
Nice one. Loved it all everyone and looking forward to the next one. I am going to lock myself for the January run.
Instead uploading photos here, I will put a link later on my smugmug website as I will upload all photos (not edited and some on many frames/sec). I got Goran to take most photos as too busy driving but hopefully you will like all of them.
There will be about a total of 10 Gig of photos and I have benn uploading since 4 in the arvo.
Do you all want me to put a password or no probs to the public view ?

hmr73
10-11-14, 10:01 PM
Next time I will remember to refuel before hitting the dirt track. Completely forgot that I have covered 150K from Wollongong to Mt Victoria but now at least I can run 94 km on Empty tank. Less than 1 Km more and the car would have stopped. Filled up 93.20 litres at the station. The tank capacity is suppose to be at 93 Litres

uncaged123
11-11-14, 04:45 AM
There were a few members who were not able to take Friday off, so I may run another caves to caves trip shortly where we'll meet at the Boyd River camp ground on Friday night. The trip would then only take two days to do if everyone fill up at Mtn Victoria or Oberon.

Cheers Rob S

hmr73
11-11-14, 09:08 AM
Hi Everyone,

Here is a link to all the photos I have taken on the trip. Let me know if I should password protect it.
http://hery.smugmug.com/Travel

scarlettroseb
11-11-14, 01:56 PM
Thanks Dru for the trip report, Hery for the photos and of course Rob for the awesome weekend! Can't wait for the next one :smile-new:

- Charlotte

Resident E
11-11-14, 09:24 PM
I seen you lot stopped at taralga. I was in the white 4 door:)

sessel52
12-11-14, 08:57 AM
Here's a video I put together from the trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKh5zzNcVR4

jk_menace
12-11-14, 07:50 PM
Great video thanks. Hey guys to all that were on the trip check your air cleaner I found mine caked in dust today due to the dusty conditions over the weekend, everyone except Rob who was riding up front kicking it all back.lol. Oh great TR Dru.
Cheers mate..

Cobus
13-11-14, 03:28 AM
Awesome trip report Dru, showed me exactly what I missed out on on the second leg of the trip. And many thanks to Rob our fearless leader. (May even change my nickname to Saffer)

Keef_7
02-02-15, 10:50 PM
Hey Guys,

Been a bit busy since the trip and haven't had a chance to get on here, great photos and video. Melissa and I had a great time on our first SJC trip, an appreciate the help. On a related note I was crook on the weekend and spent the weekend on the couch, so I googled Commander service 4wd system and found out that it is an issue since the last recall update (although Jeep aren't admitting it) but if you start the engine, remove the FCDM fuse, go for a quick drive, replace the fuse, turn off engine, and then restart the engine... it fixes the problem. so I tried it last night and it worked. The Commander has Low Range again!! :smile-new: Should have googled the problem at the camp.

Dru
03-02-15, 02:34 PM
Great to hear you are running again Keef. Simple fix once you know!

uncaged123
05-02-15, 12:07 PM
Hi Keef_7, great news for you and hope to see you on the trail again soon. We're doing Barrington Tops next weekend and possibly do others trails on our retutn to Sydney on Sunday.

Cheers Rob S