PDA

View Full Version : JKU Rubicon Vs JKU Rubicon X

AV8
15-10-14, 07:58 PM
Just about to crossover to JKs. I am not finding too much success with speaking to salesman who has got no clue about Jeeps, so need some help from experienced JK owners.

What I would like to get is a kitted up (basic) JKU. Not sure whether to go for a standard 2015 JKU Rubicon, spend on ARB Front and Rear Bar with tire carrier, Rick Sliders, Under belly skids or bite the bullet and order a 2015 JKU Rubi X?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Steve F
15-10-14, 08:12 PM
The Rubicon X in the US has a neat front bar, we don't get that bar here :( What are the differences? I'd probably go with the standard Rubicon and stick on my choice of bar work (probably not ARB ;) )

Cheers
Steve

AV8
15-10-14, 10:47 PM
The Rubicon X in the US has a neat front bar, we don't get that bar here :( What are the differences? I'd probably go with the standard Rubicon and stick on my choice of bar work (probably not ARB ;) )

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. Only going with ARB as I will Sal Sac the lot if I could. Need all the stuff when I get the truck before any damage. I agree with you that ARB is not probably the best but the change will be further down the trail when I buy new ones a flog the ARB ones off.

Are they both sporting Rock Trac and 4.1 diff gear ratio?

Steve F
15-10-14, 11:13 PM
Yep, All Rubicons have the 4.1 and Rock Trac. It's what makes them a Rubi :) Doesn;t the X have a different bonnet?

Cheers
Steve

Wallyd
16-10-14, 10:56 AM
Rock trac??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wallyd
16-10-14, 11:00 AM
4.1 diffs and transfer, e locker, swaybar disconnect, bigger splines on axles, d44 front and rear, steel sill rail, transfer case bash plate.... Just a few differences that come to mind between the sport and the rubicon, off the shelf

redrubi
16-10-14, 06:05 PM
Sal,

I'd go the standard Rubi (then build your own MAN-BARBIE :encouragement:), as for bar work Uneek are good (plus if you decide to add a roof rack and tyre carrier they bolt to the rear bar), I have ARB! no real complaints but when I got it in early 07 ARB were the only ones who made bar work for the JK.
Both Steve and Wally have covered all you need to know!!
Go The Rubicon!!!:encouragement:

Steve F
16-10-14, 07:22 PM
Rock trac??

It's what jeep call the rubi transfercase

Cheers
Steve

AV8
16-10-14, 09:20 PM
4.1 diffs and transfer, e locker, swaybar disconnect, bigger splines on axles, d44 front and rear, steel sill rail, transfer case bash plate.... Just a few differences that come to mind between the sport and the rubicon, off the shelf

Thanks Wally. Am tossing between the X and the Std Rubi and trying to get all accessories packaged pre tax. The doesn't seem to be much info on the X except on US websites. There is one avlbl at Leo's in Brisbane. I'll ring them up to enquire as well. The blackhawk edition is all bling though.

Sal,

I'd go the standard Rubi (then build your own MAN-BARBIE :encouragement:), as for bar work Uneek are good (plus if you decide to add a roof rack and tyre carrier they bolt to the rear bar), I have ARB! no real complaints but when I got it in early 07 ARB were the only ones who made bar work for the JK.
Both Steve and Wally have covered all you need to know!!
Go The Rubicon!!!:encouragement:

Thanks Andy. Yeah, I kinda like Uneek. Dave certainly consults with the masses before comitting to a design. That is a huge plus. It'll be a WO-MAN BARBIE for Syl. Though I will still get to steal a drive from time to time. The plan is to go 35s eventually. We rented a JKU Rubi and drove it like we stole it.
I'm still laid back in my WJ but the main drive is a Mighty Boy Zook! :)

Wallyd
16-10-14, 09:35 PM
U can get the dealer to talk to an accessories seller/installer and do a complete package price for the lease. Or, just do it yourself and then tell the dealership that pre delivery, you want to get the bits fitted by xyz. Here is the invoice for it, add it to the price of the car and and get it all on the one lease. My mate did that to his SR5 many years ago, he did a complete transformation, including lift and big ass tyres!!!
I would talk to either shents or atv and go from there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AV8
17-10-14, 12:30 AM
Thats exactly what I'm doing but need to know what's on the X before doubling up. 8 in NSW as of today and also found another 2 in Brisbane. I'm going to have a first hand look at it on Saturday. If the package is good enough, I'll go for it and if not, then I'll go Uneek or ARB for front n rear bumper, rock slides, underbelly plates.

My dealership in Castle Hill is so lame, has no clue about Jeeps, waste of time asking them really. I spoke to Pat at Macarthur Jeep, whilst he was very nice, he too did not know much about Rubis, let alone X.

I'll def talk to Shents/ATV as suggested. Many thanks! :D

Hunno
18-10-14, 03:45 AM
Central Coast Dealership has had good reviews.

Lord Help Me I'm in to JEEP!

AV8
18-10-14, 08:32 AM
Thanks Hunno, I shall give them a ring.

All the Black & Anvil ones are gone. Left with Yellow/Gold in NSW.

Might just go for Std Black or Graphite Rubi if no dark Rubi X available. Will have a look at one this morning in sunny brisvegas if it's still there.

Cheers

AV8
18-10-14, 10:12 PM
Saw one this morning. As it happened, an AJOR member was picking up his Rubi X when I got there, so luckily I managed to have a good look see.

The extras on the X:

Heated leather seats : desirable
Twin Power Scoop Bonnet, bonnet stickers : Nice to have
black/silver wheels : not really. Upgrade to bigger wheels
dash with mph : harder to read.
subwoofer in the boot : '15 Rubis have it tucked in, therefore more space.

At the moment, I don't see much value in getting the X for a couple of grand more.
At least with the standard '15 Rubi model, I will be able to get the colour that I want, tucked in subwoofer, upgrade to leather and package the front, rear bars, rock sliders, snorkel.

Sooo.... No go on the X. Thanks for playing. :single_eye:

Heidi
21-10-14, 06:45 PM
The rubi has rock sliders doesn't it? ours does but no side steps

i had packaged lift, snorkel, colour coded front bar and tow bar was all organised by lease company and dealer

AV8
21-10-14, 07:07 PM
Yep but skinny ones, require aftermarket sliders I think.

redrubi
21-10-14, 07:15 PM
You can get a weld on conversion kit! Quadratec I think!!

dobbo56
21-10-14, 09:17 PM
Better off with the same sliders as you got Andy, they just bolt straight over the stock ones onto the chassis, so you have double the strength and protection plus a step. get em from Wooders, I think they are Rugged Ridge and they only take about an hour to put on. Cheers Doggy.

Dru
21-10-14, 11:00 PM
Our 2014 Ruby was bought with simply the idea of getting the most trail capable vehicle in Aus... Out of the box. Sydney dealers couldn't sort out our needs in under 6 months (best) so we went to a mate in Brisbane. Matched our spec, but we picked up leather and heated seats into the bargain. Just what was available. I would not have gone this way.

But I like it, and would order it next time.

We also sorted some bits through the hire company. Roof rack, front bar, winch. Would not do this next time. Also considered the Mopar 2" lift. REALLY glad we didn't do that.

if you are going to pre purchase lift, bars etc, just make sure you know what you are doing. If I knew then what I know now, I could have done it. No hope in hell at the time.

AV8
21-10-14, 11:36 PM
What's a good lift for 35s? I know WJs but a complete noooooob in JKs.
How are Poison Spyder Bumpers and Rocker Knockers? Any good?

Paul-JK
22-10-14, 09:06 AM
35's will fit under a 2" lift if you really want to, though you might not have much up travel.
Probably better a 3" lift. You'll need wider flares anyway to cover them I'd expect and getting some flat flares will give you more space for the tyres to move into allowing you keep the lift to a minimum.
With a 3" lift you might get away without aftermarket rear control arms and new front & rear drive shafts but if you go higher than that then I'd expect you'll need them.

Just out of curiosity, why the 35's? A JK on a 2" lift and 33's will do most things you'd ever need. The slightly lower lift will be a cheaper as it'll not need as many parts and a Rubi on 33's will drive perfectly OK. Not sure how it will go on 35's or whether you'd eventually want to re-gear.

Poison Spyder have a good name. I think all of their stuff is well regarded, though I've not used any personally.

AV8
22-10-14, 11:00 AM
Thanks Paul. Had 33s on 4" JKU rental and you're quite right, it'll do most trail. We got stuck on some of the harder stuff when others on 35s and up were passing us by. Wanna climb some rocks. :) Not sure at this stage, just sussing things out. I may take your advice and go 33s

I'll speak to Shents and Stu Murchison for a lift kit as well.

Cheers

Steve F
22-10-14, 11:04 AM
I'm going with 33's on my JK but if it was a JKU I'd look at 34's or 35's just because of the ramp over. In saying that, if you can keep it legal so much the better :)

Cheers
Steve

Paul-JK
22-10-14, 11:45 AM
There's no denying that a JK on 35's will climb more stuff than a JK on 33's, especially a JKU with it's average ramp over angle BUT the extra things you'll need to run 35's (extra height in the lift so probably adjustable control arms, 2 new drive shafts, aftermarket wheels, new flares, possible re-gear.......) will more than double the cost of the lift over just running 33's. That's a lot of coin for the ability to drive the few tracks that 33's won't get you through.

Would I like a JK running on 35's? Absolutely! Can I justify the $ to achieve it? Absolutely not. Guess it just depends on how you intend to use it and how deep your pockets are.

On a slightly more boring but practical note, if it's your DD and you expect to get into city centre car parks then you're going to struggle with 35's. I have a 2.5" lift and 33's and I have to be careful which car parks I use. Might not be a consideration for you but just thought I'd mention it.

Dru
22-10-14, 12:10 PM
Going through the same thing on the JK shorty. Both ATV and Shents have been fantastic. Presume lift details are similar on the JKU. If so what we have found is:

33's are fine on a 2.5" lift. 35's are fine on a 2.5" lift, but you need to swap to flat flares. The 35s need off set wheels and increase track. If I was starting from scratch it is probably what I would do.

With stock flares you need a 3.5" lift (presume 3" would be fine). They protrude the stock flares by approx 3/4". You either risk it with a stock look or get flare extenders.

The Mopar/AEV front bars are designed visually for stock flares. Would look funny with flats. As we bought the JK with a Mopar bar, we will stick with stock flares and go to the higher lift. There is no issue with Uneek and similar bars and the look with flaties

I like what I see and hear with the AEV kit. But it is suggested that I look to a full set of fully adjustable CAs when I talk A trail capable. $ add up. An alternative is a lift based on Synergy, which so far looks similar in $ to AEV but includes the CAs. I'm sure the alternatives don't stop there, but we will be going with one of these.

Tough choices! My head has been spinning for weeks trying to get to the bottom of it all.

Dru and Kerry

dobbo56
22-10-14, 05:46 PM
What's a good lift for 35s? I know WJs but a complete noooooob in JKs.
How are Poison Spyder Bumpers and Rocker Knockers? Any good?
Have a look a Andys Sliders, they bolt onto the chassis over the Rubicon sliders.

AV8
22-10-14, 06:54 PM
Tough choices! My head has been spinning for weeks trying to get to the bottom of it all.

Dru and Kerry

Barney in the weed. Here's another combo found:

FOX 2.0 Performance Series IFP Steering Stabilixer
FOX 2.0 Performance Series Reservoir 4" - 6" Shock - Front
FOX 2.0 Performance Series Reservoir 4" - 6" Shock - Rear
Synergy Front Lift Springs 4.5"
Synergy Rear Lift Springs 4.5"
Synergy Front Upper Control Arms (Pair)
Synergy Rear Upper Control Arms (Pair)
Synergy High Clearance Front Lower Control Arms (Pair)
Synergy Rear Lower Control Arms (Pair)
Synergy Chromoly Tie Rod
Synergy Steering Stabilizer Tie Rod Clamp
Synergy Extended Brake Line Kit Front & Rear
TeraFlex JK Speedbump 4" Kit
Teraflex Jeep JK Rear Trackbar Bracket
Synergy Jeep JK Track Bar Bracket - Front RHD
Synergy Jeep JK High Steer Drag Link
Synergy Jeep JK Drag Link Flip Adapter
DBOR Jeep JK Rear Swaybar Link

a lot of coin for the ability to drive the few tracks that 33's won't get you through.

Would I like a JK running on 35's? Absolutely! Can I justify the $ to achieve it? Absolutely not. Guess it just depends on how you intend to use it and how deep your pockets are.

On a slightly more boring but practical note, if it's your DD and you expect to get into city centre car parks then you're going to struggle with 35's. I have a 2.5" lift and 33's and I have to be careful which car parks I use. Might not be a consideration for you but just thought I'd mention it.

Yep, agree. They are real considerations, absolutely.

I'm going with 33's on my JK but if it was a JKU I'd look at 34's or 35's just because of the ramp over. In saying that, if you can keep it legal so much the better :)

Cheers
Steve Def wanting to get it engineered. Dru's doing the same presumably? ;D

Have a look a Andys Sliders, they bolt onto the chassis over the Rubicon sliders. Wilco that, next Jeepers Creepers meeting.

Happy Halloween BTW! :D . Just ate some eye ball choc. Not bad.

cheers

Dru
22-10-14, 09:51 PM
I think I'm done with the engineering for now. Started with it being an absolute requirement, but it sort of loses when you know you are doing the right thing but need to fork out thousands in the hope they tick an obvious box. And an apparant lack of basic paperwork from "the industry".

doesnt change my thinking that those ADRs are really good guidance.

I may may go there, not at this stage though.

AV8
23-10-14, 01:01 AM
Had a look at the Switchblade rear bar... Great looking bar but no longer avlbl unfortunately.

Dieselcon
29-10-14, 08:20 AM
Barney in the weed. Here's another combo found:

FOX 2.0 Performance Series IFP Steering Stabilixer
FOX 2.0 Performance Series Reservoir 4" - 6" Shock - Front
FOX 2.0 Performance Series Reservoir 4" - 6" Shock - Rear
Synergy Front Lift Springs 4.5"
Synergy Rear Lift Springs 4.5"
Synergy Front Upper Control Arms (Pair)
Synergy Rear Upper Control Arms (Pair)
Synergy High Clearance Front Lower Control Arms (Pair)
Synergy Rear Lower Control Arms (Pair)
Synergy Chromoly Tie Rod
Synergy Steering Stabilizer Tie Rod Clamp
Synergy Extended Brake Line Kit Front & Rear
TeraFlex JK Speedbump 4" Kit
Teraflex Jeep JK Rear Trackbar Bracket
Synergy Jeep JK Track Bar Bracket - Front RHD
Synergy Jeep JK High Steer Drag Link
Synergy Jeep JK Drag Link Flip Adapter
DBOR Jeep JK Rear

Running similar but with currie currentlync steering components and teraflex 9550 shocks. Flexes well ;)

Dieselcon
29-10-14, 09:06 AM
Running similar but with currie currentlync steering components and teraflex 9550 shocks. Flexes well ;)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/28/2f25017c432759bf7e3052f39f4f33ff.jpg

AV8
29-10-14, 12:42 PM
Nice shot Jose. Very flexi Jeep . Looks like some sort of Yoga pose. :)

What's your total lift?

Dieselcon
29-10-14, 08:27 PM
Settled at 100mm with 35" nitto tyres

AV8
12-11-14, 08:46 PM
At present am looking at a modest lift of 2"-2.5" and flat flares, possibly River Raiders to eventually fit 35s. Keeping it low low. ;)

What other protections/skids to get? Other important accessories? Read that synergy ball joints a must.