PDA

View Full Version : TJ off the road...

Greg D
28-10-14, 08:49 PM
My TJ lost power last week, and was diagnosed as having no compression in cylinder 2.
Today, the bad news. One of the 'lifters' for cylinder 2 has a hole worn through the bottom by the camshaft. The lifter was totally distorted (and some metal missing), and because the camshaft needs replacing, I took the decision to have the whole thing restored & reconditioned.

Expensive!

Hope to be back on the dirt by late November!

In better news, my GC is on the dock in Baltimore waiting to be loaded on a ship, now due to dock in Port Kemble on December 6!

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Steve F
28-10-14, 09:16 PM
Ouch, I was sure it would be the top end and maybe just a valve problem, which I guess, in a round about way, it was ;) The lifter must have stopped spinning in the bore or got limited oil. a full rebuild is probably a good idea as the oil galleries will need to be checked and cleaned out and any varnish on the lifer bores sorted. Guessing cam is stuffed as well, once the hardening on the lifter or cam wear through they don't last too much longer and little bits of metal traveling through the system (until they get caught in the oil filter) aren't going to help.

Sounds like you'll have the two Jeeps ready about the same time, decisions decisions ;)

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
29-10-14, 07:54 PM
What decision????
Off-road toy & tourer

Lord Help Me I'm in to JEEP!

Greg D
30-10-14, 02:14 PM
So my camshaft is a real mess, as we expected, so I need a new one. But the guy rebuilding the engine can't source one, other than from Jeep in the USA, which will take about four weeks.

Any thoughts on who I could call to try to source a camshaft?

Greg

Heidi
31-10-14, 08:31 AM
http://www.factorymoparparts.net

we have ordered from there a few times - takes about 10days to ship. they used to be mopar-wholesale.com

xjdavid
31-10-14, 08:43 AM
What sort of oil were you using

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

nitrobrent
31-10-14, 10:49 PM
Time for an LS1 Greg.

Heidi
01-11-14, 08:12 AM
We just replaced the engine in our TJ for similar reasons

Steve F
01-11-14, 12:51 PM
This might be an option, also noticed he has a second engine, might be able to get that cheaper and could do the job if you just need the camshaft.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135529

Cheers
Steve

stevet
01-11-14, 02:32 PM
We just replaced the engine in our TJ for similar reasons
Just happened to see your TJ whilst being in the process. I have just done a replacement motor as well...... it's a Jeep thing I suppose.............

Greg D
02-11-14, 01:28 AM
Thanks all for help and suggestions. I thought I had posted again yesterday, but now no sign of my posting.

Thanks Heidi, I have ordered the camshaft per your suggestion. The engine swap looks interesting, but I think I have committed too much to go down this path now. I'll keep you posted as to progress.

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD