PDA

View Full Version : Zig Zag, Lithgow..... Saturday 15.11.2014

TRBN8R
06-11-14, 10:43 AM
Hi Jeeples....

Long time no 4wding make me right foot itchy..... Sorry for the short notice but planning a trip on Saturday 15.11.2014.

Meet up Richmond Meccas for brekky 0730. We will leave Richmond Meccas 0800. Reach Zig Zag 0900. Air down and disconnect and set off by 0930. Planning on doing Wombat holes, Pipe Lines, Power lines (Whatever is left of it), Lost City, Ranger Bob, Son of Bob, another set of Wombat holes and probably head back home..... If any time left will explore more of the Power lines past the turnoff for The Lost City...... Plan to be airing up by 1500 and reach Richmond Meccas by 1630....

Bypasses available on most tough parts......

Its a family friendly club so Kids, partners, friends welcome.....

When: Saturday 15.11.2014

Where: Zig Zag

Trip Grade: C, C+

Vehicle Requirements: Live Axles preferred (I have done these tracks in a stock JK shorty but personally prefer 2" lift for peace of mind). Good AT/MT tires. (Independent suspensions (40 mm lift must) can use the bypass at The Pipelines. KK Cherokee and similar very low front bumper designs are prone to damaging the front air dam) Recovery points front and rear. UHF radio. Snatch Straps. Shackles.Camera, Food, Drinks etc....

RV Point: Richmond McDonalds (March Street, Richmond)

Meet up Time: 0730

Departure: 0800

Trip Numbers: 10 including me

Contact for Further info: Post up or cal/sms me Mani 0405801230

Attendees:
1. Mani @ Trbn8r JKU
2. Dru & Kerry@ Dru
3. John @ GP TJ
4. Andy & Charlene @ Redruby JK RUBY

Cheers and Happy Jeeping....

Mani @ Trbn8r

***** Just noticed this is my 1000th post... :) :) *****

DanD
06-11-14, 11:48 AM
I'm not able to make it sorry but it sounds like a great trip!! :( !!

uncaged123
06-11-14, 06:16 PM
Hi Mani, please include me.

Cheers Rob

Flatfender
06-11-14, 08:59 PM
Count me in please Mani.
Cheers
Ian W.

Dru
06-11-14, 09:46 PM
Trying to fit this in. Can I be a "probable"?

AV8
06-11-14, 09:53 PM
Sorry Mani. I would like to but will Tiger Beering away. Next time...

Cheers

Allabaster
07-11-14, 01:12 PM
Mani, please put me down for this.

gp
07-11-14, 04:50 PM
Mani please put me down for this run.
John Clark 0412 333309

redrubi
07-11-14, 07:24 PM
Redrubi says YES PLEASE!! We're in:eagerness:

TRBN8R
08-11-14, 12:04 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/07/3040cf75fcdfec3e495a54a2648a2c99.jpg

Weather looks a bit dodgy...... If the forecast doesnt improve trip may be cancelled......

Cpage66
08-11-14, 09:26 AM
Yes please....

TRBN8R
10-11-14, 02:10 PM
Weather forecast inmproving. Looks like its gonna be a nice day.....

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/09/8262a08ea9426a336a13e57009dc3078.jpg

Dru
10-11-14, 04:36 PM
We are now definites.

Dru and Kerry

Allabaster
10-11-14, 05:37 PM
When are we going to make a call one way or the other for the weather?

TRBN8R
10-11-14, 06:23 PM
Weather looks promising so the trip is a go now......

redrubi
10-11-14, 06:42 PM
OH YEAR!!!!!!:eagerness:

Allabaster
10-11-14, 10:38 PM
Mani, our LWB JK is still stock aside from front disconnects and recovery points. Would you say this route is risky for the current set up?

DanD
10-11-14, 11:30 PM
Mani, our LWB JK is still stock aside from front disconnects and recovery points. Would you say this route is risky for the current set up?

Mani will fill you in further, but from memory - majority, if not all of the tracks have easier runs to get you through - Son of Bob easy track may get you sweating in a few places south of the border though mate

TRBN8R
11-11-14, 03:50 AM
Should be OK m8..... Hardest bit is Pipelines and it has a bypass and I have done the rest when my JK was stock...... Almost all hard bits have bypasses..... With disconnected swaybars it shouldnt be a problem......

Paul-JK
11-11-14, 08:44 AM

If you're still at stock height with a JKU just be careful on the likes of Pipeline with those stock side side steps. Fall on them heavily and they can bend up into the bodywork.
Go on, ask me how I know :grief:

On a more positive note, if you're looking for reasons to justify some upgrades (to yourself or others) then this trip will be perfect. The JKU even stock is very capable, but you'll see how much easier the others manage with a small lift and some decent tyres. A 2" lift makes a massive difference in keeping the belly of the JK (and those 2 plastic flotation aids that we call side steps) off the ground a lot more.

TRBN8R
11-11-14, 08:50 AM
If you're still at stock height with a JKU just be careful on the likes of Pipeline with those stock side side steps. Fall on them heavily and they can bend up into the bodywork.
Go on, ask me how I know :grief:

On a more positive note, if you're looking for reasons to justify some upgrades (to yourself or others) then this trip will be perfect. The JKU even stock is very capable, but you'll see how much easier the others manage with a small lift and some decent tyres. A 2" lift makes a massive difference in keeping the belly of the JK (and those 2 plastic flotation aids that we call side steps) off the ground a lot more.
I will get him to use the bypass on the pipelines ......

DanD
11-11-14, 11:38 AM
I will get him to use the bypass on the pipelines ......
The big rock at the very start and the stock tyres may make the bypass a bit interesting, after that it should be fine if the rest hasn't eroded too much

Allabaster
11-11-14, 12:23 PM
Indeed, there are other ways in a bit further up glow worm tunnel road. So no shortage of options.

Dru
11-11-14, 03:45 PM
I don't mind sweating a bit. Our Ruby is still stock (not for much longer). Happy for obvious chicken tracks. Hoping we will have advice where sensible.

Looking forward to this one.

Dru

AV8
11-11-14, 06:58 PM
Yeah, if you could upgrade the sliders would an area I'd look into. Most people, myself included suffer the damage before the upgrade.:shame:

Full muddies are important too. Forget about the 70/30 highway/offroad split. They don't mean much, mainly marketing purposes.

For example, if you're in a slick & muddy situation, the condition demands full muddies regardless of how much time you spend offroading, ie: 100% attempt for traction, that is 100% effort, not 70% which could quickly reduce to 0% when you have problem clearing them out. Sure they're a bit noisy but that's part and parcel of owning a Jeep, Offroading, camping, getting mud and dirt on, etc..:highly_amused:

Bear
12-11-14, 10:36 AM
Sorry Mani, we're out for this one. Been advised against 4wdriving just yet.

richhenning
12-11-14, 11:47 AM
Apologies Mani I will have to sit this one out. Did some damage on my last trip out that needs to be repaired before I leave the blacktop again.

rich

Flatfender
12-11-14, 09:30 PM
Sorry Mani, I have to pull out as well - family problems on Saturday.
Ian W.

Milky
14-11-14, 12:01 PM
Sorry to be pulling out this late Mani on behalf of my brother "Allabaster".
Will try to make the next one with better tyres and more ground clearance...

TRBN8R
14-11-14, 12:40 PM
No worries guys.......

DanD
14-11-14, 04:41 PM
Be careful tomorrow as the mountains are starting to catch fire already (Warrimoo this afternoon)

uncaged123
14-11-14, 05:56 PM
Hi Mani, Aust Post has not delivered my new disconnects kit. Sorry I'll be pulling out this trip because I don't want to risk snapping the left side bolt as well while I'm not close to home.

I'll catch you up on the next trip. Regards Rob S

Cpage66
14-11-14, 07:01 PM
I was going to post that I would meet ya'll at Zig Zag but I guess not with the fires...See everyone at Richmond!

Dieselcon
14-11-14, 11:23 PM
I'll be doin a recon of yalwals 12 mile f/t tomorrow in preparation of Grease monkey 2015 otherwise I would be joining you... Have fun and be safe. :)

Dru
15-11-14, 08:38 PM
Hey guys, thanks a million!

We did things today that three months ago I would have said was not possible, and yesterday would have said was not possible for me. I think five heaps is a nice number. :-)

Mani, Mani-ette :smile-new:; Andy, Charlene; John; Hunty and Jax... great day. Andy and Mani I think think those Landie guys appreciated your guidance on the pipeline! (Me too.)

Dru and Kerry

AV8
15-11-14, 09:46 PM
No worries for TL then Dru. ;). told ya. :)

Hunty
16-11-14, 09:29 PM
Jax & I had a blast - more vids to come :)

http://youtu.be/KR3mUTgSYcs

Steve F
18-11-14, 11:35 AM
I'm after some pics of the trip, can someone send me a link to some please :)

Cheers
Steve

TRBN8R
18-11-14, 09:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is the trip report for The Zig Zag trip.

Attendees

1. Mani @ TRBN8R
2. Dru & Kerry @ DRU
3. John @ GP
4. Andy & Charl @ RedRubi
5. Hunty & Jax @ Hunty

On Saturday 15/11/2015 the we met up at Richmond Meccas at 0730. After Brekky and usual chit chat we left the Meccas at about 0815. We reached Zig Zag station about 0915. We were amazed to find so many 4wds at the station. We didnt want to be stuck behind them, so we hurriedly aired down, disconnected and hit the road by 0930.

We took the dirt road straight to the wombat holes. I came across an unnamed obstacle about 300 meters before the Wombat Holes. It had a massive washout on the left. Without proper planning I plunged head first into the obstacle, and obviously ended up leaning into the washout. I requested a spotter and Andy with his military experience took charge of the situation. I cleared the obstacle without any damage and Andy successfully guided the others through as well. Then we came across a group of Troopies, Cruisers and Nissans struggling at the wombat holes. Despite being comparably modified to our Jeeps they were struggling and one had to be recovered and another had to be assisted with massive road building to get out. Andy suggested a much better line but they ignored the Jeepers line and struggled through coming close to rolling over a couple of cars. After they left we all successfully negotiated the wombat holes.

Two guys in a Discovery and Defender tagged along from here with us. We headed straight to the Pipelines from here. I was the first car at the pipelines. Expert guidance from Andy saw me through both the steps easily. After me John Clark attacked the track but after trying different lines he kept getting stuck a few inches short of clearing the final step. At his final attempt his TJ slipped into the bank and ripped his driver side front flare off. We decided to do a snatch on his car to avoid any further damage. He cleared the obstacle after a gentle tug from my Jeep. After a little more road building the rest of the crew cleared the obstacle. Dru impressed everyone and surprised himself by doing this track with great ease in his stock standard Rubicon. The Defender struggled a bit but guidance from Andy and some road building saw him through without any damage. We parted company with the Land Rover guys and headed to the Lost City from here. It was about 1230 by the time we got to the lost city and we decided to stop for lunch here.

After lunch we headed to the Son of Bob and Ranger Bob combo. We all did this track with not much trouble. Doing this track and the wombat holes on top boosted Dru's confidence in his Jeep and after doing all the high adrenaline sports lioke sky diving etc he found another high adrenaline sport in 4wding. He will be loving it even more once the 3.5" lift and 35" donuts go on his Rubicon. We turned onto the Powerlines track from here heading towards Zig Zag station. We came across the last obstacle of the day. It was the massive wombat holes. Hunty has already posted the video of this obstacle. It was 1410 by now and we decided to call it a day.

We reached the Zig Zag station and were aired up by 1500. We said good byes and headed back home from here.

Hope every one enjoyed the trip and had a lot of fun. Only damage to report was John Clark's front fender flairs.

C you guys soon on another trip.....

Cheers

Mani

PS: I didnt take any pics but am pretty sure there were some pics and videos taken. Can we please post some to make other jealous... ;) :) ;) .....

redrubi
18-11-14, 11:13 PM
Thanx for a great day Mani!

Will post some photo soon!

Dieselcon
07-12-14, 04:49 PM
Pics Please ..... Need some for the Mag.