View Full Version : Front axle oil seal replacement

Elio S
25-02-15, 02:37 PM
Hi Guys,
Have snapped the right hand cv joint on my WJ and in the process of replacing it I stuffed the axle seal that sits deep inside the axle tube. Now I understand to replace it, I'm going to have to pull the entire diff apart, but the workshop manual mentions the use of a special tool to install them. Is this really necassary?? or can they be installed the old fashioned way with a soft drift and a hammer??

AV8
25-02-15, 09:55 PM
If you need any WJ parts, let me know. Just pulled out the front and rear

Hunno
25-02-15, 10:02 PM
I used a piece of threaded bar, washes & nuts.

Elio S
26-02-15, 07:08 AM
Thanks for that guy's. I'm contemplating selling the wheels and mud tyres, rocksliders, suspension, roof racks and basket and putting the car up on ebay for whatever I can get. I hate working on it that much. It's a shame because it's a really nice looking and driving car.
When you say you've just pulled the front and rear out AV8, do you mean the whole diff assemblies??

AV8
26-02-15, 08:13 PM
Thanks for that guy's. I'm contemplating selling the wheels and mud tyres, rocksliders, suspension, roof racks and basket and putting the car up on ebay for whatever I can get. I hate working on it that much. It's a shame because it's a really nice looking and driving car.
When you say you've just pulled the front and rear out AV8, do you mean the whole diff assemblies??

Yes Elio. How's the seat problem? Sorted it out yet?

Elio S
26-02-15, 08:26 PM
Yes two bolts with washers and nyloc nuts to replace the two pins that had a little bit of play in it and it was all good.
What sort of diffs are they? I was contemplating buying quadradrive diffs for it at one stage, because the open ones really suck offroad lol

AV8
01-03-15, 01:54 PM
Same as yours: Non QD varilock axles. In my opinion QTII's are much better than QD's when mated with ARB lockers.

Elio S
03-03-15, 06:37 AM
Same as yours: Non QD varilock axles. In my opinion QTII's are much better than QD's when mated with ARB lockers.

I agree, but QD conversion probably the cheaper option. Been almost a week now and the car is driving fine and no oil leaks yet. Have decided to just suck it and see for now. If it goes again, I'm in 2 minds whether to do it myself in the driveway and swear profusely at it for a couple of hours while I work on it, or save me the stress and just get it carted off to Eddy's workshop and let them deal with it. Suppose it depends on how broke I am at the time.