PDA

View Full Version : Spider gears on TJ with Dana 44

BumbleJEEP
09-03-15, 04:42 PM
So I've had a bit of a problem with the rear of my TJ (2000), sometimes I hear a loud cracking noise from the back and it feels like the rear end shifts to one side. I originally thought (was hoping) that it may be the rear suspension bushings as they look old a perished so I pulled out all upper and lower control arms and had new bushes pressed. Put everything back together and still had the cracking but not as bad. So two weeks ago I decided to change all the fluids on the truck, engine oil, transfer case and diffs and noticed that the rear diff oil was black, a sure sign of trouble. I decided to open up the diff to find that my spider gears had lost a few teeth on all four gears:hopelessness:. The ring and pinion gear seem to be fine thank goodness and there seems to be no play in the diff.

So now the task of changing out these gears and from what I've seen and read is that the Dana 35 is very simple to do but the Dana 44 is a lot more complex because of the trac loc feature. Does anyone know if this is correct? If the job is as simple as pulling out the little gear rod, pulling the axles and popping the spider gears out and putting new ones in I will attempt it myself. The other issue I am having is determine which gears to purchase because I am not sure of the exact diff spec's. Markings on my diff say that it has a ratio of 3 07 and a bill of material of 60 16-1 (from the diff cover marking plate). Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Easy77
09-03-15, 06:09 PM
I'm not an expert but can confirm for you the following:

3.07 is a stock gearing ratio on manual TJs (5 speed)
Your Dana 44 indeed does have trac-lok limited slip diff.

If you need a professional, these are the shops that work on Dana diffs (there could be others but i just know of these three):
Lang Differentials (Hornsby)
JMac (Arndell Park/Blacktown)
Craft Differentials (Holroyd).

BumbleJEEP
10-03-15, 11:09 AM
Thanks Easy, I have fears of this problem costing me thousands of dollars but I suppose the best approach would be to talk to a pro.

Steve F
10-03-15, 11:34 AM
Langs are good value, if you can source the parts it wont cost you much.

Cheers
Steve

BumbleJEEP
10-03-15, 02:19 PM
I'll try to get past Langs later this week, thanks Steve.

BumbleJEEP
26-07-15, 06:13 PM
Hi All, just an update an recommendation. Took my TJ to Langs in Hornsby to have the spider gears seen too on the old Dana 44, yes my 2000 TJ has a Dana 44 rear with LSD in cause anyone asks what diff a TJ has. I was astounded at Langs friendly service and advise and he even gave me the option to get my own parts, which I did. Book the jeep in with him and it was sorted quick smart along with a good old bearing replacement. I was also very pleased at how affordable his work was which did not break the bank like some other quotes i received. All in all I would highly recommend Langs for any diff work needed on the old Jeep.