PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Newbie Question

Elio S
13-03-15, 10:32 PM
So I got rid of my WG and bought this hardtop TJ Golden Eagle
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/Zook/20150313_190708_zpsxyvn65ah.jpg (http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Zook/media/20150313_190708_zpsxyvn65ah.jpg.html)

When I open the tailgate, it seems that the soft top is still inside and attached to all the mechanisms that attach it to the roll bar. Is this supposed to be in there still?? Because it's obviously folded down, what little luggage space I had is all but non existent, and it's also had water in the back, so the carpet under the soft top is extremley wet and very stinky. Can this be removed from the vehicle relatively easy, or do I have to remove the hardtop to get it out?? And if so, what's involved in removing the hardtop??

stevet
14-03-15, 12:37 AM
No, not usually. Take it out but you will need to take the bow top arms from the roll bar, easy job............ Carpet is very easy to remove/replace, no need to remove the hard top.... Hard top removal - 6 bolts in hardtop, washer & demister plugs and two good backs to lift of the top unless you have a hoist for the job but be careful with the rear glass window when lifting/moving it.................
The hardtop may be stuck a bit if it has not been removed before so a little careful/gentle levering helps a lot..........

AV8
14-03-15, 01:22 AM
Sad day for the WG but happy days for Jeepin'. :). Hope you enjoy your new toy!

Is the step and rock slider too? If not you might want to put in a pair soon.

Elio S
14-03-15, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the info guys. It's gonna be a while before I look at rocksliders for it as I'm going to need to do a major service on it, because as far as I can tell it hasn't been serviced since 2012. It's just gone over the km's, but the oil and coolant is dirty, it was low on clutch and brake fluid, the hand brake doesn't hold, the air cleaner box obviously ingested a whole stack of water and the air filter is full of mud. Aside from that, the previous owner must've wheeled it pretty hard as it's got a whole punched in the muffler from a rock or something and the rear output shaft on the transfer case is leaking a little oil. This all sounds bad I know, but I paid 1/2 the price of what other Golden Eagles are going for, and it looks and drives well.

Steve F
14-03-15, 11:41 AM
Looks good, and all of those issues are pretty minor really even the leaking output shaft. Sounds like under 1K and she'll be tip top again :) Less if you do it all yourself.

Cheers
Steve

Elio S
14-03-15, 08:32 PM
Looks good, and all of those issues are pretty minor really even the leaking output shaft. Sounds like under 1K and she'll be tip top again :) Less if you do it all yourself.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. I fixed quite a few issues just this afternoon. Checked the brakes and all were good. The rear brakes were all rusty from being submerged under water but otherwise ok. The adjustment was so far out though, that after I adjusted it, the brake pedal was nice and firm, and suddenly I had a handbrake again. While I was at it, I checked the tyre pressures and found that whoever owned it before me must've gone wheeling just before they traded it as the tyre pressures were down at 10psi. Re-inflated them again and suddenly, the shudder as I took off in 1st was gone, and 5th and 6th gear have now become usuable on the freeway lol. I wished I checked them sooner. It would have made my trip to Woolongong today so much more pleasureable and maybe I might not have gone through so much juice lol. I thought it drove like that because of the 33" Mud Terrains and 2 & 1/2" lift. Totally different now, but very nice.

Hunno
14-03-15, 09:35 PM
Thanks Steve. I fixed quite a few issues just this afternoon. Checked the brakes and all were good. The rear brakes were all rusty from being submerged under water but otherwise ok. The adjustment was so far out though, that after I adjusted it, the brake pedal was nice and firm, and suddenly I had a handbrake again. While I was at it, I checked the tyre pressures and found that whoever owned it before me must've gone wheeling just before they traded it as the tyre pressures were down at 10psi. Re-inflated them again and suddenly, the shudder as I took off in 1st was gone, and 5th and 6th gear have now become usuable on the freeway lol. I wished I checked them sooner. It would have made my trip to Woolongong today so much more pleasureable and maybe I might not have gone through so much juice lol. I thought it drove like that because of the 33" Mud Terrains and 2 & 1/2" lift. Totally different now, but very nice.
Awesome stuff.
i would be checking diff oils too if as you say it had been submerged.

Elio S
14-03-15, 10:12 PM
Awesome stuff.
i would be checking diff oils too if as you say it had been submerged.

Yes I did that too. All the oils are fine, just dirty looking as it's obviously been a while since it's been serviced. I plan on giving it a major service over the next couple of weeks and replace all the oils, coolant, etc and throw in a set of plugs and air filter