PDA

View Full Version : Later TJ Wrangler tansfer case dampener

Elio S
17-03-15, 02:23 PM
Need to fix an oil leak from the transfer case extension housing that houses the speedo drive on my tj wrangler, only there is a pressed on harmonic balancer type damper on the output shaft in my way, and I can't get it off. Has anyone else had to get one of these off and how did you do it?? If a special puller is required, has anyone got one and can I borrow it lol?? I can pay in beer :smile-new:

Elio S
18-03-15, 11:50 AM
To answer my own question, after researching all the Jeep forums, the general consensus was to use 3 6mm thread 50mm long bolts and screw them carefully into the dampener turning each of them a little bit at a time until the dampener came off. I was a little uneasy about doing this as given the material the transfer case is made of I was expecting the bolts to damage the extension housing. I tried it anyway as I thought that if I damaged it, it would be a good excuse to tell the wife that I needed a slip yoke eliminator kit lol. Anyway, soaked it in Inox, used the 3 bolts trick and it slid right off. Happy days!!