View Full Version : Installing a LED Bar driving lights

brianr4227
03-05-15, 01:02 PM
I'm a new member and not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited with a bull bar & I would like to connect my LED Bar driving lights to high beam. I do not want a seperate switch to control them. I want them to come on on both DTL & ordinary high beam. Where I bought the lights from told me I don't need a relay, is this true? What do I need to do? Will it be to hard for a novice to do & should I get an auto electrician to do it?

TRBN8R
03-05-15, 01:43 PM
U will need a relay or u will burn the factory switch... Get them installed on a separate switch as well or u will run into trouble with the cops if they see u flashing them in the city.....

Steve F
03-05-15, 02:23 PM
Simpliest methood is to run a wire from the battery to a relay as the power supply to the lightbar, then from the relay to the lightbar, then have a wire coming from the headlight high beam (back of is easiest at the plug) to the relay to use as the trigger for the relay. Basically the light bar gets power directly from the battery (fused wire) and the power from the headlight just triggers the relay. No additional load on the headlight wiring this way and you can run some decent wiring to the light bar so it works at its best. There is no technical need for a switch just means the light bar will come on whenever the high beam does, as Mani says better to have them switched though in case you want high beam with no lightbar.

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
03-05-15, 02:42 PM
You need to legally have an isolated switch, as above said, it's best through a relay. There are pre-wired harnesses (like e.g. narva) to make it very simple. Hardest thing it routing the wire safely form switch in side the cabin and finding a suitable high beam lead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brianr4227
29-05-15, 03:01 PM
I have installed my LED bar driving lights and they are working perfectly. Thanks for your help.
Brian

brianr4227
29-05-15, 03:01 PM
I have installed my LED bar driving lights and they are working perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Brian