PDA

View Full Version : Victoria High Country January 2016

Dave
06-05-15, 11:40 PM
Victoria High Country - January 2016

Following the great trip we had through the NSW Snowy Mountains in January 2014, I'd like to have a go at the Victoria High Country in January 2016. I had a full itinerary at the May Club meeting, will bring copies to future meetings, and can send a PDF copy to anyone that PMs me with their email address.

In brief the plan is;

Saturday 2 January - Sydney to Jindabyne via Canberra - 462km

Sunday 3 January - Jindabyne to Tom Groggin and The Poplars campsite via Davies Plain Track - 104km

Monday 4 January - The Poplars to Omeo via Limestone Creek Track - 77km

Tuesday 5 January - Omeo to Italian Flat campsite and Dargo - 80km

Wednesday 6 January - Loop drive North of Dargo including Billy Goat Bluff and The Pinnacles - 100km

Thursday 7 January - Dargo to Wonnangatta Station - 85km

Friday 8 January - Wonnangatta Station to Craigs Hut Mt Stirling - 82km

Saturday 9 January - Craigs Hut to Wodonga via Mt Buller and Mansfield - 250km

Sunday 10 January - Wodonga to Sydney - 560km

Total - 1800km

Unlike the camper trailer friendly NSW Snowy Mountains trip, this is a serious 4WD tour. Difficult driving on some C and possibly B grade dirt tracks. This is a mountainous area and we will be covering some steep climbs and descents, winding roads and many creek and river crossings.

Like the NSW Snowy Mountains trip, if you have a passenger that does not like heights, you will get fingernail marks in your dashboard! But we will enjoy some spectacular scenery!

This trip is in bushfire season, and there can also be heavy summer rain (or snow). We may have to deviate from the planned route due to either fire or flood. Some camping will be in caravan parks with all amenities, most in National Parks camping areas with minimal facilities.

Open to 4WD Jeeps with High and Low Range only. If you have to tow, off-road camper trailers only. Trailers are not recommended in many of these areas.

Please consider, and post up on this thread if you are interested. If you would like more information, please PM me with your email address. Given the tracks and distances we could manage 10 or a few more Jeeps.

Definites - Booked at Jindy & Wodonga
1 DaveG
2 WallyD
3 EddyG
4 RobS
5 GregD
6 StickierDuck
7 Dennis - JK Menace & Dusan as passenger
8 Kevin - MY14JK
9 Wayne & Julie A
10 Hunty & Jax
11 Will98

Thanks,
Dave

Steve F
07-05-15, 10:00 AM
Interested but will be low on leave then so will have to decide when it gets closer

Cheers
Steve

Dave
07-05-15, 05:10 PM
Interested but will be low on leave then so will have to decide when it gets closer

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, in the Maybes! May be a toss up between this and the plan for later in the year... :)

Wallyd
07-05-15, 08:50 PM
Yep, all in

Jeep11
07-05-15, 09:04 PM
Hayley and I are maybes just checking leave

Dave
08-05-15, 09:23 AM
Thanks Wally and Steve, still need a like button on this forum :)

Dru
08-05-15, 06:50 PM
David, maybe please!

also need to do some long term planning and work out leave.

dru n kerry

Easy77
08-05-15, 10:45 PM
Dave, I'd be very keen go. Would have to tow a trailer though as I'd want to take the family. Put me down as maybe please.

Tjcarter
09-05-15, 04:21 AM
Put me on the list! Very keen for this trip and have plenty of leave :)

Dave
09-05-15, 05:10 PM
Dave, I'd be very keen go. Would have to tow a trailer though as I'd want to take the family. Put me down as maybe please.

Put me on the list! Very keen for this trip and have plenty of leave :)

Done Guys! Have sent TJ an Itinerary by email!

If you are going to tow, make sure it is a decent off-road trailer. We will be crossing lots of water - starting with the Murray River. There will also be steep grades, mud, rock etc etc. SteveF is considering renting one for the week. Interesting idea!!

Dave

Steve F
09-05-15, 05:47 PM
Thinking I might hire an offroad camper trailer for this, what do you reckon Dave, we need the space with 3 of us in a 2 door ;)

Cheers
Steve

Dave
09-05-15, 05:56 PM
Thinking I might hire an offroad camper trailer for this, what do you reckon Dave, we need the space with 3 of us in a 2 door ;)

Cheers
Steve

I reckon it should work! If you check some of the links I put in the the itinerary, or Google trips that others have done, there are plenty of people taking trailers through there.
Nat Parks Vic says that trailers are "not recommended" on Davies High Plain. Heidi said there is a sign at the start... but their website does not say you can't, and I've seen pics of trailers on that track! I believe that if it is wet then the climb at the start is not easy. Hopefully it'll be dry!

Sounds like we might have a couple of trailers, as long as they are proper off road trailers I hope it'll be okay - creek crossings, mud and rock. I'm probably going to have more issues with the little KJ with AT tyres and less clearance.

Dave

Wallyd
09-05-15, 06:09 PM
Im re tweaking my rear to not take the camper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/09/7eb9dbc1476c188d0e4808ba41652321.jpg

Dave
09-05-15, 06:15 PM
Uuum, where's the queen size bed?

Wallyd
09-05-15, 06:54 PM
2 x blackwolf self inflators. 2 x Helinox One Chairs. 1 x Helinox table. 1 x 3 second tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobus
14-05-15, 01:24 PM
Im in please

Greg D
14-05-15, 04:29 PM
Dave,

Please count me in.

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nekked
16-05-15, 12:35 PM
Dani, Aubrie and I are a strong Maybe for this trip...! We were thinking of doing the High country in November/December, so this works well for us...

Dave
16-05-15, 09:19 PM
Wow we've filled up fast. Cobus and Greg, have added you so we have 8 coming and 4 maybes. I had thought a max of 10, but we might have to think about that...

Is wishing the year away wrong?

Dave

PS and Teshie too, so now at 9! Thinking of making a reserve list!

Wallyd
19-05-15, 05:55 PM
Re did the back to be all on board!!!
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/18/4232194e5224c1482c70c70f1da15846.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/18/2ee709834c29390b03157cb98b445ff9.jpg

Dave
24-05-15, 04:16 PM
That's awesome Wally! You and Steve are going to have to have a slide off session as he's done something similar - perhaps go into business...???

Dave

Wallyd
24-05-15, 08:35 PM
Hahaha, nah mate. People won't pay my price. !!

StickierDuck
25-05-15, 03:20 PM
I'm in too! Should be a fun trip

Dave
26-05-15, 07:31 PM
I'm in too! Should be a fun trip

And that's 10! Already :) Wow! Thanks Ewan!!

We'll see how we go with numbers, got a few maybes, so maybe we can manage more than 10. Don't know how large the camp sites are!

Still 7 months before we go and got to survive Jambo first.

Looking forward to Summer tho!

Dave

Wallyd
26-05-15, 08:10 PM
I am soooo looking forward to this..... Today I vacuumed the car and wiped it all down on the inside, washed the outside and detailed the blacks too.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave
03-06-15, 11:06 PM
Got two more takers at tonight's Club Meeting, and having re read the previous posts, have realised that Easy77 was a maybe not a definite.

So at 11 definites and 5 maybes. Have also been told that the campsites are generally fairly good sized, so we should manage more than 10!

Getting organised!

Dave

Greg D
04-06-15, 01:36 AM
Dave,
Easy77 is a club member - Dusan.
Greg

Hunty
08-06-15, 11:31 AM
Jax n I are looking forward to the trip also - we were planning on taking our camp trailer, but after reading Dave's hairum scarum comments and "B" grade sections we will now have to re look at all the options :)
maybe have to take a tent
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/IMG_0329_zpsaheyvzxx.jpg~original (http://s685.photobucket.com/user/ashunty/media/IMG_0329_zpsaheyvzxx.jpg.html)
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/null-18.jpg~original (http://s685.photobucket.com/user/ashunty/media/null-18.jpg.html)
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/IMG_0252.jpg~original

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/file-23.jpg~original (http://s685.photobucket.com/user/ashunty/media/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/file-23.jpg.html)

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Jep%20Camper_zpsqyy72zjl.jpg~original (http://s685.photobucket.com/user/ashunty/media/Jep%20Camper_zpsqyy72zjl.jpg.html)

Dave
08-06-15, 06:10 PM
Gee Hunty, decisions decisions! Lucky you have a little while to decide. The trailer considerations have been from discussions with Heidi and Brian - I have not been through this area myself and am really looking forward to trying it out. I know they take their trailer, but not on all the tracks we plan to use. Trailers are "not recommended" on the Davies High Plain. I reckon that the Redback could drag a trailer through, but I think you may need a more "off road" capable trailer.

But I've added you to the definite list - lucky number 12!

Dave

uncaged123
10-06-15, 05:53 AM
Wally your carpentry looks good from a retired builder's observation. Hunty lucky you don't drink otherwise it'll be fun climbing up.the ladder. I've followed Évan and brought a blackwolf quick set up tent. No more trying to put up tents in strong winds while bending pegs in rock hard ground.

jk_menace
18-06-15, 12:36 AM
Hi Dave, can we go on the maybes list for now. May need to go overseas in Jan. little early for confirming dates.
cheers
Dennis

Dave
18-06-15, 10:17 AM
Hi Dave, can we go on the maybes list for now. May need to go overseas in Jan. little early for confirming dates.
cheers
Dennis

Added to the maybes! Thanks.

Dave
21-06-15, 07:10 PM
Hi All,

RobS sent me an email today saying he had already booked at the caravan parks, and that they do fill up fast so maybe I'd better get in touch...

So I did!

Jindabyne has penciled in unpowered camping for 10 to 12 cars for David Grime and Sydney Jeep Club. They didn't want money yet - need to get through Winter first, but they will let me know when to let you know when to call and book.
Saturday 2 January, Jindabyne Holiday Park Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne, (02) 6456 2249.

Omeo doesn't take bookings for unpowered sites, and they have never run out, so only book if you really want power.
Monday 4 January, Omeo Caravan Park Old Omeo Highway, Omeo, (03) 5159 1351.

Wodonga Big4 have penciled in 10 to 12 unpowered sites for the Sydney Jeep Club, and they do want people to call and book individually, so mention me and the SJC! I have paid $30 for my unpowered site. You can get powered if you prefer, but still say you are with the SJC group.
Saturday 9 January, BIG4 Borderland Holiday Park, 65 McKoy Street, Wodonga, (02) 6024 3906.

There is no rush to do this yet, we are still 6 months out. Those bookings probably will need to be confirmed and paid for in Sept or Oct. At least they know we are coming.

Thanks,
Dave

belinda.collings
30-06-15, 08:42 AM
Im keen to come with the kids but would like to stay at the Big 4 Borderland, for the kids. Is anyone going to stay there? Would be nice to have people to have night drinkies with.
Also what are the dates, as I need to take time off and budget. Bee [emoji106]🏼

uncaged123
30-06-15, 01:19 PM
Hi Belinda, Dave and I have booked our camp sites at the Jindabyne and the Wodonga "borderland big 4". They are only unpowered sites. However if you want cabins for the 3 caravan parks in the trip you should book now.

Cheers RobS

Heidi
30-06-15, 03:18 PM
Belinda they are moving every morning so the Wodonga big 4 is just the last night of the trip. Trip starts on the 2nd in Jindy and completes on the 9th in Wondonga they are bush camping the rest except at Omeo.

Dave
14-07-15, 07:48 PM
Im keen to come with the kids but would like to stay at the Big 4 Borderland, for the kids. Is anyone going to stay there? Would be nice to have people to have night drinkies with.
Also what are the dates, as I need to take time off and budget. Bee [emoji106]

Hi Belinda, just back from the Simpson Desert, apologies for my late reply. The dates are all in the very first post on this thread, and Heidi answered that nicely, thanks! We will only be in Wodonga for the very last night as Rob said.

I haven't added you to any lists, let me know if this suits.

Thanks,
Dave

Dieselcon
20-07-15, 01:40 PM
This looks very tempting :)

Dave
20-07-15, 10:01 PM
This looks very tempting :)

Sooo... maybe?

jk_menace
20-07-15, 10:44 PM
Hi Dave, can we go on the definite list if possible.
Cheers
Dennis

uncaged123
21-07-15, 08:47 PM
Dennis it would be great to see you and Eleni on the trip. Dave maybe have a middle and tail end charlie, if you're confidence with requested nos. Also maybe some members may like to head down New Year day to visit Thedbo and maybe do the Mt Kosi 14km walk which we did on the last trip. (Probably feel buggered afterward but a great walk)

Cheers Rob

Dave
21-07-15, 10:42 PM
Hi Dave, can we go on the definite list if possible.
Cheers
Dennis

Added - well moved anyway :) Boy those numbers are up there. Might have to think about splitting convoys...

Thanks,

Dave

jk_menace
21-07-15, 11:10 PM
Thanks Dave appreciate it.. Cheers Rob really looking forward to it..

Dieselcon
21-07-15, 11:32 PM
Yes maybe :)

Dave
22-07-15, 08:37 PM
Yes maybe :)

Added! Thanks!!

Dave

Wallyd
10-08-15, 09:45 AM
I have booked in to Jindy and Wodonga

Dave
11-08-15, 07:51 PM
I have booked in to Jindy and Wodonga

Cool! When I called them I 'reserved' places for us, and paid for Wodonga. Jindy didn't even want to think about it until after ski season, but they said they would call me...

Dave

uncaged123
12-08-15, 10:33 AM
Dave, Maybe those fit persons who don't have anything planned on New Year Day could possibly drive down on the 1/1 and do the Mt Kosi 14km round trip walk. Its a thought.

Rob

Wallyd
12-08-15, 03:28 PM
It's a great walk. We did it last summer!!! Tiring but worth it....

MY14JK
08-09-15, 11:25 PM
This sounds like a fantastic trip and one i’d love to experience. If there is room available i’d like to be added to the list. If others are taking off-road camper trailers i’d also like to take one along.

Cheers,
Kevin.

Dru
10-09-15, 01:16 AM
Dave, I'm somewhat green with envy but we aren't going to be able to make this. Just wasn't able to resolve leave issues.

all the best and I look forward to the trip reports.

Dave
10-09-15, 10:13 AM
Dave, I'm somewhat green with envy but we aren't going to be able to make this. Just wasn't able to resolve leave issues.

all the best and I look forward to the trip reports.

That's a shame :( I was hoping that first week after New Year would fit peoples hols. Next Time!

So keep Sept / Oct 2016 in mind... More info in December!

Dave

Dave
10-09-15, 10:21 AM
This sounds like a fantastic trip and one i’d love to experience. If there is room available i’d like to be added to the list. If others are taking off-road camper trailers i’d also like to take one along.

Cheers,
Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

I'll add you to the list!

I'll get an email "group" together soon and start talking to everyone directly. Now that it's Spring, we will need to confirm and pay for the couple of caravan park bookings, and that may well be a "final decision" point for some people.

Looks like a big group at the moment, 14 cars all getting lost together :)

Dave

Wallyd
10-09-15, 11:12 AM
Looks like a big group at the moment, 14 cars all getting lost together :)

Dave

LOL

Hmmmmm!!!

uncaged123
11-09-15, 05:49 PM
Just called Jindabyne to pay for my site and the lass said she can only hold the remaining unpaid sites for one more week. We may have to park a few jeeps off site to double up tents on a few sites, if we can not get more than the 12 sites Dave reserved. I assume the same will apply to the bordertown caravan park.

May I suggest those who pay their sites fees confirm with Dave asap.

Cheers RobS

Dave
11-09-15, 07:56 PM
Just called Jingabyne to pay for my site and the lass said she can only hold the remaining unpaid sites for one more week. We may have to park a few jeeps off site to double up tents on a few sites, if we can not get more than the 12 sites Dave reserved. I assume the same will apply to the bordertown caravan park.

May I suggest those who pay their sites fees confirm with Dave asap.

Cheers RobS

Thanks Rob!

I created an email list to contact everyone at once, from the list of Definitely Coming and the list of Maybes.

I have emailed everyone to say that we need to book and pay for all sites NOW to confirm. I had reserved a dozen sites – although we are now up to 14 definites – and was told to organise people to book in Spring.

So this is it. Decision time.

If you are DEFINITELY coming along in January, please reply to my email and let me know. Please call Jindabyne and Big4 at Wodonga ASAP, and Omeo if you want power. The details are below, as I posted back in June.

If you are NOT coming, please reply and let me know.

Thanks,
Dave

From June;

Jindabyne has penciled in unpowered camping for 10 to 12 cars for David Grime and Sydney Jeep Club, they do want people to call and book individually, so mention me and the SJC! I have paid $32 for my unpowered site. You can get powered if you prefer, but still say you are with the SJC.
Saturday 2 January, Jindabyne Holiday Park Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne, (02) 6456 2249.

Omeo doesn't take bookings for unpowered sites, and they have never run out, so only book if you really want power.
Monday 4 January, Omeo Caravan Park Old Omeo Highway, Omeo, (03) 5159 1351.

Wodonga Big4 have penciled in 10 to 12 unpowered sites for the Sydney Jeep Club, and they do want people to call and book individually, so mention me and the SJC! I have paid $30 for my unpowered site. You can get powered if you prefer, but still say you are with the SJC group.
Saturday 9 January, BIG4 Borderland Holiday Park, 65 McKoy Street, Wodonga, (02) 6024 3906.

Dave
20-09-15, 08:04 PM
Hi All,

Well after the last, slightly rushed week, we have 10 Jeeps and 10 booked and paid for camp sites in Jindabyne and Wodonga.

1 DaveG
2 WallyD
3 EddyG
4 RobS
5 GregD
6 Teshie
7 StickierDuck
8 JohnC
9 Dennis - JK Menace & Dusan as passenger
10 Kevin - MY14JK

There are still two Jeeps that were Definite, but I haven't heard from since I sent emails about booking a week and a bit ago;
Danny & Sharon
Hunty & Jax

We also still have three Maybes;
Steve & Hayley
Nekked
Dieselcon

However, Jindabyne has now closed off my last two "reserved" sites and will sell them to other people - so we have 10 sites. If any of the other Definites or Maybes do still want to come, you can try Jindabyne Holiday Park, but they may not have any sites left. There may be other accommodation available in Jindabyne, please let me know what you decide to do.

Thanks everyone for getting organised on short notice. Now lets enjoy Jambo, then hope that Christmas and New Year hurry up!

Dave

Heidi
20-09-15, 08:37 PM
For those considering going and have not booked a site yet there are also a few free camping spots in the national park that are not to far from Jindy

Dave
06-11-15, 08:59 PM
We've been pretty quiet for a bit, but thought I'd do an update...

Welcome aboard Wayne and Julie, and welcome back Hunty and Jax - bringing our numbers up to 12 cars. Hopefully they are able to book at Jindy and Wodonga, but if they can't we might try and squeeze them onto one of our booked sites

Which means we are;

1 DaveG
2 WallyD
3 EddyG
4 RobS
5 GregD
6 Teshie
7 StickierDuck
8 JohnC
9 Dennis - JK Menace & Dusan as passenger
10 Kevin - MY14JK
and
11 Wayne & Julie A
12 Hunty & Jax
who may not have been able to book...

And I have cut the Maybe list off, as I haven't heard anything since September!

Less than two months to the off, and I'm hanging out for the holidays!

Dave

Greg D
13-11-15, 11:42 PM
Dave,

I am looking forward to this.
I bought the Hema Atlas & Guide to The High Country, and have been reading up on the proposed route. You've done some great planning (as on your previous trips).

I also bought the latest Mud Map 3, and have downloaded the relevant maps. (claimed the $25 rebate per your note in the correspondence and received it same day!). I usually use MotionX GPX and download the relevant maps, but they aren't very detailed for the High Country. I will still track our trip using this, but MudMap gives more detail in some areas.

I also went and discussed new tyres with a local tyre reseller in Forster. I need to get the standard size for the Grand, so I can use my existing Michelins as spares, and so I can fit the spare in the wheel well when using the Jeep as my daily driver. It looks like I'll get CooperAT3. I considered Bridgestone, as they do a LT in that size, but was convinced the Cooper is a better choice. My concern was airing down for long distances and low pressures on a Passenger tyre, but it seems this shouldn't be a problem with the Cooper tyres. I hope so.
Greg

Dave
14-11-15, 10:23 AM
Dave,

I am looking forward to this.
I bought the Hema Atlas & Guide to The High Country, and have been reading up on the proposed route. You've done some great planning (as on your previous trips).

I also bought the latest Mud Map 3, and have downloaded the relevant maps. (claimed the $25 rebate per your note in the correspondence and received it same day!). I usually use MotionX GPX and download the relevant maps, but they aren't very detailed for the High Country. I will still track our trip using this, but MudMap gives more detail in some areas.

I also went and discussed new tyres with a local tyre reseller in Forster. I need to get the standard size for the Grand, so I can use my existing Michelins as spares, and so I can fit the spare in the wheel well when using the Jeep as my daily driver. It looks like I'll get CooperAT3. I considered Bridgestone, as they do a LT in that size, but was convinced the Cooper is a better choice. My concern was airing down for long distances and low pressures on a Passenger tyre, but it seems this shouldn't be a problem with the Cooper tyres. I hope so.
Greg

Hi Greg, sounds like some great choices there, and I'll be really interested to see how the AT3s go. I went to Bridgestone 694 then 697 to get off the old Cooper ATR, but a lot are now running the hopefully improved AT3! My 697s are LT not passenger, and I was aired down for two weeks in July with no probs...

Glad someone took advantage of the Mud Map 3 offer (see Club Correspondence folks!)

Is it 7 weeks today that we hit the road? Far out, I'm looking forward to it too!!

Dave

Wallyd
14-11-15, 11:06 AM
What price was mud map 3 at??

Dave
14-11-15, 01:58 PM
What price was mud map 3 at??

Wally check out the last post on this page http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?4183-Club-Correspondence/page3

Club members get $25 cash back after purchasing. $95 at iStore...

Dave

Heidi
14-11-15, 06:29 PM
Greg - gave a look a the Fun Country Dick Cepek's we have them on the JKU they where the most aggressive AT we could get. We had no problems driving at lowered pressure for majority of three weeks when we did our trip last Christmas down the high country.
We use mud maps in the high country and they are great - the Hema high country book is also excellent for maps and information about local area's.

Hunty
19-11-15, 08:03 AM
Jax n I are still coming :)

Dave
19-11-15, 01:59 PM
Jax n I are still coming :)

Maaate :) - great news! You're back on the list!

I sent several emails in August, September and October, and have updated this thread many times - and hadn't heard from you at all since June. I 'culled' the no contact people off the list last month...

Do you get my emails? Have you booked in Jindabyne and Wodonga? See posts 56, 57 and 59 in this thread.

I'm really glad you're still coming - that brings us back up to 12 Jeeps - but let me know your plans re Jindy and Wodonga...

Thanks,
Dave

uncaged123
20-11-15, 03:28 PM
If Hunty can't get a site where we've booked, maybe someone could double up their site to accomodate them.

Cheers Rob

Dave
20-11-15, 03:43 PM
If Hunty can't get a site where we've booked, maybe someone could double up their site to accomodate them.

Cheers Rob
Hi Rob,

Yes I called him last night and said that, we will see what happens. He also said that he has friends in Jindy that he could they could stay with and we join up as we leave town on Sunday.

I was great to hear from him, it's been a while. Hunty and Jax are great fun on a trip - they did the Cape with us in 2011!

Dave

uncaged123
20-11-15, 04:46 PM
I agree Dave. They joined us on the caves to caves trip last December. What are your thoughts about having dinner at the chinese on the first night? We'll probably be buggered after driving down and setting up camp.

Cheers Rob

Dave
20-11-15, 05:38 PM
I agree Dave. They joined us on the caves to caves trip last December. What are your thoughts about having dinner at the chinese on the first night? We'll probably be buggered after driving down and setting up camp.

Cheers Rob

That sounds like a good plan!

Wallyd
22-11-15, 06:04 PM
Hurry up already!!!! I want to air down!!!

Dave
22-11-15, 07:32 PM
Hurry up already!!!! I want to air down!!!

Yep! Me too!! About 100km around town this weekend was about 99km too many.

6 weeks tonight, we'll be sitting in camp on the banks of the Murray River after a day of dirt, enjoying a (several) beers!

Bring it on!!

Dave

Dave
11-12-15, 01:12 PM
A brief update. JohnC called me the other day and said that unfortunately he was not going to be able to make the trip, so we are back down to 11 Jeeps.

He said that he would offer his bookings at Jindabyne and Wodonga to Hunty and Jax, so we should all be booked in those Parks again. Big thankyou John!

Hopefully everyone is pretty much ready for the trip. My Jeep goes in for a big service on Monday 21st. It's its likely to be hot, and steep, so hope the cooling system is up to it :)

Any questions, please call or email or post up....

Dave

MY14JK
15-12-15, 08:48 PM
Hi all,

I know the itinerary has Jindabyne as the meeting point for the first night however i’m interested in what people are planning. Is there an approximate time we should look to turn up at Jindabyne on the 2nd or are some planning to drive down as a group?

As a side after many hours of youtube viewing i’ve decided i won’t be taking the camper, not that i don’t think the Jeep is capable however some of the tracks and crossings can be challenging.

Really looking forward to getting away and enjoying this trip.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Dave
16-12-15, 10:21 AM
Hi all,

I know the itinerary has Jindabyne as the meeting point for the first night however i’m interested in what people are planning. Is there an approximate time we should look to turn up at Jindabyne on the 2nd or are some planning to drive down as a group?

As a side after many hours of youtube viewing i’ve decided i won’t be taking the camper, not that i don’t think the Jeep is capable however some of the tracks and crossings can be challenging.

Really looking forward to getting away and enjoying this trip.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Hi Kev,

Have you been getting my emails? I've sent a couple in the last month or so...

There are a few of us meeting up at Marulan BP Southbound on the Hume Highway on Saturday 2nd for morning tea. I hope to get there about 10.00am for coffee. We will look at heading off around 10.30 in convoy, then hopefully lunch somewhere around Cooma. Be in Jindy for arvo tea! Hmm, really sounds like I'm planning this trip around food - guess it breaks up the bitumen bits!

I also asked everyone to send me their contact details - phone numbers and emergency contacts, just in case. Please check your emails, if you aren't getting mine, we may not have your correct address...

Thanks,
Dave

Wallyd
16-12-15, 05:49 PM
We may meet up at Marulan. Is that the Mac d's ??

MY14JK
16-12-15, 07:25 PM
Hi Kev,

Have you been getting my emails? I've sent a couple in the last month or so...

There are a few of us meeting up at Marulan BP Southbound on the Hume Highway on Saturday 2nd for morning tea. I hope to get there about 10.00am for coffee. We will look at heading off around 10.30 in convoy, then hopefully lunch somewhere around Cooma. Be in Jindy for arvo tea! Hmm, really sounds like I'm planning this trip around food - guess it breaks up the bitumen bits!

I also asked everyone to send me their contact details - phone numbers and emergency contacts, just in case. Please check your emails, if you aren't getting mine, we may not have your correct address...

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Looking through me emails i’ve received a few from you in Sept and again in Nov with regards to the Xmas party but i’ve not received anything on the trip.

Can you please confirm i’m on the mailing list?

Cheers,

Kevin.

Dave
16-12-15, 08:20 PM
We may meet up at Marulan. Is that the Mac d's ??

Hi Wally,

The Maccas is at the Shell at Sutton Forest / Sallys Corner- and the carpark is always full!

The BP at Marulan is about 20km or 15 mins further on from there towards Goulburn. You can't miss it, there is the massive Truck weigh in station on both sides of the road, and the BP is at the top of the hill a km or two beyond it. Some of us met up there before the Snowy Mountains trip two years ago. There is a Hungry Jacks there, and the carpark usually has plenty of room. Last time I went in, one year ago, they were renovating, so hopefully all open for business!

Hope that is okay.

Dave

Dave
16-12-15, 08:21 PM
Hi Dave,

Looking through me emails i’ve received a few from you in Sept and again in Nov with regards to the Xmas party but i’ve not received anything on the trip.

Can you please confirm i’m on the mailing list?

Cheers,

Kevin.

Sorry Kevin, I think I typed your email address in incorrectly. I have tried again, hopefully working now!

Dave

Wallyd
16-12-15, 08:23 PM
Thanks Dave.

Dave
17-12-15, 09:45 AM
Another update. I got an email from Teshie yesterday saying that unfortunately he won't be able to make it.

He suggested that Will98 said that he might like to come along instead, so I called him yesterday and emailed all the details. Just waiting to hear back from him to see if he is in or not.

So we may have 11 Jeeps, or we may be back to 10.

Also as you can see from the messages above, apart from my stuffing up Kevin's email address, I think that most of us are meeting at Marulan BP at around 10.00am on Saturday 2nd and convoying down from there - pretty sure that Eddy, Rob, Wally, Kevin, Hunty and Dennis, and myself will all be there - just look for the Jeeps! As I said to Wally, Marulan is the big Truck weighing station town about 20km beyond the Shell and McDonalds at Sutton Forest/Sallys Corner, and about 20km before you get to Goulburn.

The BP is one or two km past the truck weigh station, at the top of the hill. They also have a Hungry Jacks, but the place is a bit less popular than the Shell so there is usually more space in the car park!

Any probs or questions, please let me know :)

Dave

StickierDuck
18-12-15, 02:10 PM
Hi Dave,

I'll meet you at the BP as well.

Cheers

Dave
19-12-15, 03:19 PM
Hi Dave,

I'll meet you at the BP as well.

Cheers

Great! We're going to have a really good convoy heading south! As long as we don't all get separated in Canberra like last time - heading back from Brindabella!

I have heard from Will, he definitely wants to come along, and may or may not have a passenger. He will probably also meet us at Marulan. I hope Teshie has managed to contact him re campsites in Jindy and Wodonga.

Two weeks about now we should be somewhere around Cooma, and only an hour or so from Jindy. Hopefully it'll be an easy drive.

It is hot in Vic at the moment and there are fires around Melbourne. Temps up in the Alpine National Park are mid 20's so hopefully it will be nice. Night time temps at Mt Hotham are below 10 degrees. We just have to hope for good conditions - no fires, floods or snow! All of which are possible!! We will still head down there regardless, but may have to alter the itinerary - as a LAST resort - if conditions are unfavorable. Make sure you bring gear for any conditions :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dave

jk_menace
29-12-15, 12:15 PM
Hi Dave, Dusan and I will not make the 10am Marulan meet. We will go straight to Jindabyne, have a few last minute things I need to arrange.
See you all there.
cheers

Dave
29-12-15, 04:25 PM
Hi Dave, Dusan and I will not make the 10am Marulan meet. We will go straight to Jindabyne, have a few last minute things I need to arrange.
See you all there.
cheers

No probs Dennis, Will texted me yesterday to say he wouldn't meet at Marulan either. If you're on Ch 15 on the way down the highway you may even meet up with him.

I'm hoping to be leaving Marulan 10.30ish, so if anyone arrives later than that and doesn't find us, just head on down to Jindabyne. Follow directions for Canberra then Cooma then Jindabyne. Everyone should have the address of the caravan park in Jindy, but just in case Jindabyne Holiday Park Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne, (02) 6456 2249.

Three days to the off! Can't come soon enough!! Had the Jeep serviced last week, just pulled the back seat out to make more room. Done all my shopping... Just have to survive New Years Eve now, then load everything on Friday :)

Happy New Year everyone!

Dave

Dave
01-01-16, 04:04 PM
Hi All,

Happy New Year, which means we're on the road tomorrow morning! Finally!!

I've been following the weather forecast pretty closely, and it looks like we may get some showers over the weekend and early next week. This will not stop us, although if we get to Tom Groggin on Sunday and its a no go - either river too high or track too wet and closed - then I have an alternative idea to get us to Omeo. A bit more bitumen but still a heap of scenery. Hopefully won't be needed, we can discuss over dinner in Jindy - did I say TOMORROW?

Looking forward to meeting up with most at Marulan around 10.00am, and everyone else at Jindy, probably about 3pm.

Drive safely everyone, and remember the double demerits don't end until Sunday night! Hopefully there won't be any cops up on Davies High Plain!

Dave

DanD
01-01-16, 04:11 PM
If you're stopping in Canberra, let me know and I'll drop by to say gday

Dave
01-01-16, 04:18 PM
If you're stopping in Canberra, let me know and I'll drop by to say gday

Hi Dan,

Wasn't really planning on stopping in Canberra. Morning tea at Marulan will hopefully have us around Cooma for lunch. Last time we came through Canberra in convoy a convoy of 7 cars, we ended up with two cars on the other side - so I'm hoping to bypass!

Dave

glend
01-01-16, 05:56 PM
Have a great trip folks and travel safe.

Easy77
10-01-16, 12:05 AM
Team MAJ33P is back home. Thank you Dave for organising this trip. I'll try to link a few pictures from the Photobucket.
Enjoy...

Dusan

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20January%202016/2016-P1020977_zpshwouzjgk.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20January%202016/2016-P1030257_zpsf2rxudfx.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20January%202016/2016-P1030130_zpsoouutugp.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20January%202016/2016-P1030101_zpslyr6rxe8.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20January%202016/2016-P1030089_zpscgbqcupx.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20January%202016/2016-P1030028_zpsn53xeeed.jpg

Dave
10-01-16, 05:14 PM
Awesome pix! Home now too. 600km exactly from Wodonga via Tumut and Gundagai - and 59.1 litres of diesel. Pretty good!

Thanks to everyone for coming, it was a fantastic trip and we had some real adventures :)

I'll put all my pix on discs to distribute at the next club meeting - where we can tell everyone what they missed. Will Go Back There!!!

Dave

uncaged123
10-01-16, 07:18 PM
Thanks Dave for organising it, and those who went really appreciate all your efforts. I also had my friend Luis driving some of those great tracks. I'm in for your next proposed trip too.

Cheers Rob

Easy77
11-01-16, 10:32 PM
I've created a new photobucket album for this trip. I hope everyone can access it; the link is as follows:

http://s464.photobucket.com/user/Dusan_Palko/library/Victoria%20High%20Country%20January%202016?sort=3&page=1

There are more pictures in there already and I'll keep adding as I go through my SD card. Any problems let me know.

Dusan

Heidi
12-01-16, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a great trip - we love the high country it gets a bit addictive.

DanD
12-01-16, 11:23 PM
Saw your old TJ in Arndell Park today Dusan - looks very clean!

Easy77
13-01-16, 12:41 AM
Had to post it here...

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20January%202016/2016-P1030392_zpsd7phgtgc.jpg

dobbo56
13-01-16, 04:29 PM
Ya had to go to the Vic High Country, but you finally pulled a bird.
Had to post it here...

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/Dusan_Palko/Victoria%20High%20Country%20January%202016/2016-P1030392_zpsd7phgtgc.jpg

Easy77
27-01-16, 01:11 AM
I've compiled one video clip from the High Country trip. You can view it here:
https://youtu.be/F6MddAIv6xA

Enjoy,

Dusan.

Dru
27-01-16, 02:41 AM
Dusan, you have an eye for this AND put some time into it.

Love your work.

Dru'n'Kerry

Dave
27-01-16, 07:35 PM
Outstanding Dusan, but now I want to go back! And I do mean now!

Thank you for such an amazing trip report :). The shots of the cloud screaming over Blue Rag were beautiful!

Dave

Greg D
28-01-16, 06:12 PM
Terrific video, Dusan.

You have inspired me to start work on my own.....

uncaged123
01-02-16, 01:35 AM
Terrific Ducan, like Dave said. We need to do it again !!! "Maybe next January?"

Cheers Rob

Greg D
05-02-16, 09:52 PM
My video of the trip - mostly taken with my DashCam.
Greg

https://youtu.be/7i690J9wVeI