PDA

View Full Version : Mt Airly Recce

TRBN8R
28-08-15, 01:28 PM
Mt Airlee Saturday 19/09/2015....

When: Saturday 19/09/2015

Hi Guys,

A discussed before planned recce for Mt Airly will be on Saturday 19/09/2015.

This property is about 155ks from Blacktown and about 50ks from Lithgow. It takes about 2.5-3 hrs to get to the property from Richmond. The track is about 7.5 ks one way so about 15ks return. It takes about 5 Hrs to go up and come back to the main road This includes a 2km return walk to edge of the cliff and I cant put the views in words... They have to be seen to be believed. From Richmond it is about 11 Hrs return trip if there are no hiccups. Add another couple of hours to cover contingencies. There are no chicken tracks around the hard bits.

Please specify which RV Point u r gonna meet up at.

RV Point 1: Richmond Mc Donalds 0715 Hrs Depart for Lithgow by 0745 Hrs.....

RV Point 2: Great western Hwy Opposite The Miner's Lamp (Just past Lithgow Mc Donalds) 0900 Hrs

Grade: B/B+

Numbers: 10 including leader with 2 reserves

UHF Channel: 15

Minimum Requirements: 2 inch lift, atleast 31inch aggressive AT or MT tyres is recommended, This track is best suitable for cars with live axles TJs, JKs, XJs and the like.... Independant suspensions will need lockers, Decent approach and departure angles and we may have to snatch sometimes as there are no chicken tracks. CB radio, Recovery points, Recovery gear, Kids, Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Any friend, Camera, Food/Drinks of choice.

Further info contact -Mani 0405801230

1. Mani @ Trbn8r @ Richmond McDonalds
2. Dru & Kerry @ Dru @ Lithgow
3. Terry @ TEX088 @ Lithgow
4. Kevin @ MY14JK @ Lithgow

Reserves

Cheers and happy Jeeping...
Mani

Cpage66
28-08-15, 01:58 PM
I'm in...and I'm open either date

Steven.Boyd
28-08-15, 03:25 PM
Still working on the TJ, I hope to have it ready the week before Jambo.
I would love to come along but not sure if I will have it completed by then. Who else is looking at leading this trip at Jambo ?

AV8
28-08-15, 05:32 PM
Tentatively the 19th, Mani.

Cheers

Dru
28-08-15, 07:16 PM
I'm in, Mani. Either works for me.

uncaged123
29-08-15, 04:41 AM
The 19th suit me Mani.

TRBN8R
29-08-15, 08:59 AM
Still working on the TJ, I hope to have it ready the week before Jambo.
I would love to come along but not sure if I will have it completed by then. Who else is looking at leading this trip at Jambo ?
U can ride shotgun with one of the guys.... it will be mostly to get the trip leaders an idea of the track and help them map it on the GPS etc..........

TRBN8R
29-08-15, 09:00 AM
Going to update the details later this evening..... 19th it is....

stevet
29-08-15, 01:08 PM
Manni, have you any weekdays off ( Monday/Friday's) for a run up there?? (A lot to ask I know :worked_till_5am: )..... My next weekend off is the 25/26th Sept......... Bugger shift work at times..:shame:....

SteveC
29-08-15, 01:46 PM
I'd be interested for 19th . BTW Is Mount Airley near Capertee?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redrubi
29-08-15, 02:03 PM
19th We're in!

TRBN8R
29-08-15, 04:42 PM
Manni, have you any weekdays off ( Monday/Friday's) for a run up there?? (A lot to ask I know :worked_till_5am: )..... My next weekend off is the 25/26th Sept......... Bugger shift work at times..:shame:....

Sorry Steve, I am a bit stuck for dates as I need other trip leaders to map the run. This trip will be on the Jambo menu every day and will also be run as a club trip later as well.....

I'd be interested for 19th . BTW Is Mount Airley near Capertee?

Yes SteveC, It is about 50K past Lithgow going towards Mudgee. It is about 7.5K on Glen Davis Rd driving towards Glen Davis from Capertee petrol pump.

Details have been updated in the first post.

Cheers
Mani

Aus_Jeep
30-08-15, 11:08 AM
G'day Mani,

I'm in for this one for sure :)
Will meet you all at the lithgow meet point.

Regards
Shannon.

Steve F
30-08-15, 11:19 AM
Shannon, I would say this would be club members only as it is for Jambo trip leaders. In not sure if you've joined yet but your listed as a visitor.

Cheers
Steve

Aus_Jeep
30-08-15, 11:32 AM
Shannon, I would say this would be club members only as it is for Jambo trip leaders. In not sure if you've joined yet but your listed as a visitor.

Cheers
Steve

Ok no worries, thanks anyways.
Didnt think this one was for club members only as the details says its limited to 10 including a leader.
Maybe should edit the title then so everyone knows its for club members only??

Steve F
30-08-15, 12:01 PM
I'll wait for Mani to confirm, I could be wrong...

Cheers
Steve

Dru
30-08-15, 12:45 PM
Lithgow meeting point Mani.

Dru 'n' Kerry

TRBN8R
30-08-15, 05:03 PM
G'day Mani,

I'm in for this one for sure :)
Will meet you all at the lithgow meet point.

Regards
Shannon.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Guys,

This trip was a recce for the trip leaders running Mt Airly on the Jambo. My understanding of the club policy is that financial members will get priority on all club trips but if there is a spot available guests will be accommodated. Shannon is not a financial member yet so I will put Shannon on as a guest on the list but if there are more financial members wanting to get on the trip then I will have to drop him.

Hope every one is happy.

Cheers
Mani

Aus_Jeep
30-08-15, 05:55 PM
Hi Mani,

Thanks for explaining that for me, its all good.
Sorry to have to do this, but can you take me off the list. I totally understand about financial members must always have priority on the runs.
For me to do the run i need to plan a few weeks in advance so i can take my name off the "On Call" register at work and sort out a replacement.
I don't want to run the gauntlet of planning to do the run with you guys then at last minute being pushed to the reserve list so its safer for me to just say thanks but no thanks.

Regards
Shannon.

Cpage66
31-08-15, 04:31 PM
Lithgow for me please...

MY14JK
31-08-15, 07:12 PM
Hello there!

I would love to attend for the day, this would be my first outing with the club.

I’d meet at Lithgow.

Cheers,

Kevin.

TRBN8R
31-08-15, 07:20 PM
Hello there!

I would love to attend for the day, this would be my first outing with the club.

I’d meet at Lithgow.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the club mate... First post on the forum and its for one of the best tracks in NSW..... U gonna love it....

C ya at Lithgow

Mani

TRBN8R
31-08-15, 07:24 PM
Tentatively the 19th, Mani.

Cheers

What car u gonna be driving Sal, Syl's JK or the Tiny Grand Cherokee ;) I saw Parked at Eddy's last month....

AV8
01-09-15, 09:08 AM
Will be Syl's Black Ops JK Mani. It'll be her training day at Airly..

Tiny's getting some pedicure and hydro tlc..:smile-new:

Steve F
08-09-15, 10:17 PM
I have moved some posts from here, if anyone feels the need to continue you can find them in the club members section. Now back to Manis trip please.

Cheers
Steve

Teshie
09-09-15, 12:09 AM
Good call SteveF. Have a fantastic trip Mani and Co... bring lots of pics and vids for the Facebook page, this is one of the great trips of the Jambo :) can't wait to see the footage. Cheers !

Dru
09-09-15, 01:41 PM
Attention Mt Airlie team!

Is there anyone in the group who might be interested in staying in Capertee on Sat night? Maybe the Capertee pub?

Thence a run on Black Butt Mountain loop entering from the Turon and climbing "Fluffy Bunny" (aka widow maker) rather than doing the loop with this bit down hill. On the Sunday obviously.

To Clarify :- Mt Airlie Saturday as proposed (very excited to run this again before it's locked off), but does anyone wish to stay overnight and do an additional trail on the Sunday.

cheers

Dru 'n' Kerry

tex088
14-09-15, 06:31 PM
If there are spots left i am keen to join in. Have got the Tj back on the road with bigger lift, would like to test it out before Jambo.
Meet at Lithgow and am interested in camping.

Cheers Terry

redrubi
14-09-15, 07:24 PM
Sorry Mani,

Can't make it have to be at Rydal Showground for Test Track Backhoe work.

Cheers

Andy:pirate:

TRBN8R
14-09-15, 07:59 PM
No worries Andy....

Hi Terry.... See you at Lithgow.....

TRBN8R
17-09-15, 06:10 PM
Looks like a drizzle on Saturday but its only 1mm and 55% probability. Its all rocks and not gonna make much difference.......Carry some warm gear, just in case.....
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/17/be50c0de6a4bb2a6ebb49faa576684c2.jpg

Dru
17-09-15, 07:06 PM
Mani I've been keeping an eye on the weather too! 1mm is nothing.

:smile-new:

SteveC
18-09-15, 11:35 AM
Be great to see a few others attend to help out for Jambo or just for fun day.

uncaged123
18-09-15, 03:14 PM
Hi Mani, sorry I'm out. Not having any luck with shaking this flu. Was feeling good on Tuesday but then started feeling weak again on Wednesday and onwards.

RobS

Cpage66
18-09-15, 05:48 PM
Mani, I'm out as well. Got a broken distributor and can't get one in until Monday.

SteveC
18-09-15, 05:50 PM
Mani , really sorry but I'm crook as a dog. Thought I'd be OK.

Jeep11
18-09-15, 07:13 PM
Mani, is there petrol on the way to Mt Airly ?????

Dru
18-09-15, 07:28 PM

Fill up in Lithgow. But yes there is a servo at Capertee. Just before the turn off yo Mt Airlie.

TRBN8R
18-09-15, 08:04 PM
Heaps of fuel stations.... One at Richmond, Few along the Bells line of road, Few at Lithgow, One at Capertee about 7k from the track.....

TRBN8R
18-09-15, 08:05 PM
See you tomorrow.... Heaps of fuel along the way.....

TRBN8R
19-09-15, 11:15 PM
Hi Guys,

Following people attended todays recce for Mt Airly.
1. Mani @ Trbn8r @ JKU Sport
2. Dru & Kerry @ Dru @ JK Rubi
3. Terry @ Tex088 @ TJ
4. Kevin @ MY14JK @ JK Rubi
5. Will @ Will98 @JK Sport

We metup Dru, Terry and Kevin opposite The Minor's Lamp at Lithgow about 0905Hrs. After signing on we left for Capertee and met Will at Col's Place. Aired down, disconnected and we were on our way by 1015hrs. We progressed well with Young Will showing extraordinary driving skills and throttle control. Miraz Hill was conquered with ease. While descending into The Lost World we came across a fallen tree on the track. Terry used his chainsaw and the rest of the team quickly cleared the track of the debris. We came to the first long climb. As Will and Kevin were relatively new to 4wding and Terry was driving this track for the first time we decided to walk the track. Every one was spotted through the climb and the hill was conquered. From there we drove upto the Roof Rack Canyon. Every one cleared The canyon without any problems. Will needed a little tug just before the canyon as he was running road tyres and the rocks were a little wet causing a loss of traction. We decided to gently tug him over the obstacle to eliminate any chances of track damage or damage to the car. The Giant step at the end of the canyon was even more dug up than the last time. We decided to give Dru the first go as his JK was dual locked. After a couple of attempts we decided to winch him up the rock. I was snatched after him and then Kevin. Terry decided to give it a go in his mighty red TJ and managed to climb up using a totally different line with only minor damage to his rigth fender. We decided to leave Will's JK before this step as we didnt want to cause any sill damage to his Jeep (No rock sliders). It was already past 1300hrs. Rest of the track was done without any further incident. We walked upto the edge and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. We walked back to the Cars, had some lunch and then started our journey back to the base. But we just couldnt finish the day without any incident. My jeep got a bit high centered when a rock rolled under the transmission skid plated and ended with three wheels in the air. Terry to the rescue again. We borrowed his high lift to lift up the rear of the Jeep and then used his sledgehammer to smash the rock out from under the car. Once that was done we rolled down the track and hit the base of the mountain about 1700hrs. We aired up, reconnected the swaybars and were on our way back home by 1730hrs.

It took us about 7hrs return to the base of the mountain. Add another 1 hour up and down from Rydal and this is an easy 9 hour trip.

PS: Can the guy with pics please post up some to make others jealous ;) ....

Cheers
Mani

tex088
20-09-15, 05:52 PM
Thanks Mani, had a fun day. Really nice track.
Camped at Baal Bone last night, started driving this morning and clutch wasnt working only way to change gears was to turn the car off and put it in gear then start again. Was an interesting trip home.

TRBN8R
20-09-15, 06:51 PM
Wow Terry, that would have been interesting turning the car off on climbs, losing steering and brakes, changing gears and starting again.....

Dru
20-09-15, 10:38 PM
Bummer Terry.

Mani, another awesome day. And a wonderful track.

Dru 'n' Kerry

Cpage66
21-09-15, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a great day...the little HEEP has been with the auto electrician since last Wednesday and it's STILL not finished!

Dru
25-09-15, 01:03 PM
The special thing about the Mt Airlie (Mt Gonowlan) trip is that we ascend through Rocky Mesa structures of the area. While there are small sections on trail in newness that have sections like this (eg the Rock at Blackfellow's Hand, or Baal Bone) this trip is unique in being able to climb through these structures.

Will in the rock Meza.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Mt%20A%203_zpsasozhqer.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/Mt%20A%203_zpsasozhqer.jpg.html)

If "B Grade" is defined by risk of damage to even modified vehicles, both times Kerry and I have completed this trip meet the definition. B/B+ for me!
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Mt%20A%206_zpsdv2zpuhr.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/Mt%20A%206_zpsdv2zpuhr.jpg.html)

Terry on the trail. The only Jeep that made it through the exit to "Roof Rack Canyon" by driving.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Mt%20A%207_zpsx05kp9lo.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/Mt%20A%207_zpsx05kp9lo.jpg.html)

Kevin with his immaculately prepared Rubi, sitting on the exit to the canyon. Remember that photos completely flatten steep grades. No matter how steep it looks, it is actually much much more! Fantastic first trip with the SJC Kevin!
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Mt%20A%202_zpsmgzbu9ja.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/Mt%20A%202_zpsmgzbu9ja.jpg.html)

An this is what we are chasing - yes the view is even more spectacular than Baal Bone.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Mt%20A%205_zpswtfnygih.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/Mt%20A%205_zpswtfnygih.jpg.html)

But it comes with sensitivities - this is the Meza Plateau heathland "endangered ecological community" We need to look after it.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Mt%20A%204_zpsstqcji82.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/Mt%20A%204_zpsstqcji82.jpg.html)

Dru
25-09-15, 04:53 PM
Jeepers demonstrating manly survival gear for harsh conditions. Make sure you have one for Jambo. ;-)

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Mt%20A%20AA_zpszvwtxosh.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/Mt%20A%20AA_zpszvwtxosh.jpg.html)