PDA

View Full Version : New to 4wd and First car jeep

Zippy
03-12-15, 01:47 PM
Posted before not sure what happened (sorry if its a double post) , i just got my first car a jeep, i am thinking about joining but i am not sure what to expect, im new to 4wd and the whole thing as new as it can get, ( i'm still an university student (20) ) so yeah. I want to go on trips etc as all of my friends opted for street cars but yeh im totally new. So, i want to join/go on trips etc, but yeh im total noob, so what do i do in that situation

dobbo56
03-12-15, 05:53 PM
HI Zip, great choice, 4wheeling is a great lifestyle, Pity, we had our last meeting for the year last night, but keep an eye on this website, as we will be running trips over the Xmas- New Year break, our next meeting will be the first Wednesday in Feb, as per the home page. Keep the shiny side up and we hope to see you on the trails. Doggy Dave.

Dru
03-12-15, 07:03 PM
Zip, you wouldnt be our youngest member, Will would still hold that title! And I cant help wonder just how good Will is going to be, with vast experienced, at an age before I bought my first 4wd. Go Will!

Mate, what jeep?

Dru'n'Kerry

Zippy
03-12-15, 07:19 PM
yeh i know i saw it on the home page, wasn't sure if i could just intrude like that because i don't no anybody. yeh , i suck, ain't even going to argue ahaha. so do i just tag along to the meetings Irl for more info?

dobbo56
03-12-15, 07:25 PM
Yes mate, just come along..

Zippy
03-12-15, 09:30 PM
alright thanks, i'll definitely see you guys at the next one, say hi to the asian guy with the long hair! ahaha,ill keep a look out on the forum for trips but if guys have any easy trips planned(not familiar with any of the places) , ill be glad to tag along, i dont mind paying the membership fee, my jeep is pretty much stock, i got aftermarket tires( not even sure what ones they are)

dobbo56
04-12-15, 10:02 AM
Excellent, but your tires are road tires, not suited to anything more than light trail work, but we can help get you on the right track , Just one of the many benefits of joining a club. Doggy..:dog:

Zippy
04-12-15, 12:13 PM
yeh, alright, thankks. yeh i dont know much about 4wd at all. grew up with JDM / sports cars so, ill definitely get around joining after meeting you guys, what would you suggest me to start getting for the car? UHF radio? just some affordable things i can start working on. definitely keen so :) ill try keep an eye out for meetings/ easy tracks to meet you guys

uncaged123
04-12-15, 01:28 PM
Welcome Zippy, there was talk at the meeting the other night about another possible driver training/newbie day in mid January. Keep your eyes peeled to the club's site for details about it. That way you can experience some 4wding and meet some members before the next meeting. Also its recommended that you ensure you have recovery points front and rear. Mopar have reasonably priced front and rear bumpers with recovery points attachment.

Also you will require recovery equipment and a cb radio (hand held is ok) when on the trail. Any of the 4wd suppliers/outlets like ARB, TJM, hills4x4, eta can help you with equiping your jeep. Note ARB is at the top end of pricing followed by TJM. Hills4x4 is a club member who will be very happy to assist you.

Cheers and have a good festic season.

RobS

Zippy
04-12-15, 03:24 PM
ah yeh, awesome, yeh theres an ARB past bunnings not far from where i am i'll check it out probably out of my price range for some stuff but ill have a look, also cb radio, can those suppliers/outlets help me install also? because i'm not that good with the wiring etc. yeh thanks ill definitely keep an eye out on the forums, ill get to work on the jeep till then i guess. Thanks

Zip.

dobbo56
04-12-15, 05:46 PM
You can get a lot of the things you need on ebay and good oll Supercheep. You've already got a bulbar so that's a good start, dose it have a towbar? For basic recovery you will need an 8ton snatch strap and two 3.7ton rated shackles, that will get you started, SCA are Ok for these, an 80 ch uhf, shop around, wait for the boxing day specials, Have you been on ausjeepoffroad.com yet? that's a good forum, And Jeep Action magazine is the Jeep owners bible. Anything else, don't be afraid to ask, Cheers Doggy.:dog:

Steve F
04-12-15, 07:32 PM
ah yeh, awesome, yeh theres an ARB past bunnings not far from where i am i'll check it out probably out of my price range for some stuff but ill have a look, also cb radio, can those suppliers/outlets help me install also? because i'm not that good with the wiring etc. yeh thanks ill definitely keep an eye out on the forums, ill get to work on the jeep till then i guess. Thanks

Zip.

Just get a hand held radio to start with, fine for convoys and short range on trips etc and much cheaper than an in car. Look at dick smith, jay car, super cheap etc they all do them. Go for an 80 channel one as it will be more modern and will be usable for many many years. Also look at something that you can charge in the car, much more convenient than having to put it in a cradle at home and then forgetting it's not charged on the next trip ;)

Cheers
Steve

Zippy
04-12-15, 10:08 PM
ah yeh, had an look at supercheap today. handheld is alot cheaper. Do you guys have the in built ones? if you guys do where do you mount it, doesnt look like it can fit anywhere unless you take the radio out. ill probably get an hand held one which doesnt require you to install an external antenna am i correct? umm i have a couple of hooks and things on my car not sure if thats what you're talking about ( i have no clue ahha total noob) http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2977&stc=1http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2978&stc=1http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2979&stc=1 ( not sure if you guys can see the images, totally bugged out on my screen but yeh )

so atm
1. hand held radio
2. recovery snatch / shackles

uncaged123
04-12-15, 11:13 PM
A hand held radio is good to have, even with an internally fitted radio. I suggest that you start with the hand held unit and check where members have their fitted radio installed, if you wish to install one later. Take Doggy Dave and Steve advice regarding the equipment, they are very experienced members with many years 4wding.

Cheers and catch you on the trail.
RobS

dobbo56
05-12-15, 12:45 PM
HI Zip, mate your photos don't come up, none of ours do either, use the link you used in your first post, if you get an hand held radio, make sure its a 5watt, and one you can unscrew the aerial, that way you can fit an external antenna. some have an external mike as well, that is, one like the police use, has the speaker and mike in one on a curly cord.. But as I said, wait for the post Xmas sales, all the junk mail will be full of goodies you'll want. Doggy:dog:

TRBN8R
05-12-15, 12:49 PM
Dick Smith is allegedly going for a big sale this year. See of they come up with good deals....

Zippy
06-12-15, 12:16 PM
umm yeh alright i post new link with the photos http://imgur.com/a/xMviL . are any of those a valid recovery point, or i have to get some attachments. alright yeh defs ill wait. and where did u guys get your jerry can mounts. do u you guys put it at the back? thanks for all the help

Wooders
14-12-15, 11:37 AM
Step 1: Get your recovery and comms sorted.
Step 2: Get out there and wheel with club &/or mates.
Step 3: Learn how to drive offroad, Learn recovery techniques, Learn the capabilities of your rig
Step 4: Plan your mods - it's easy to spend a BUNCH of $$ and it's easy to waste a bunch of $$

Wooders
14-12-15, 11:46 AM
umm yeh alright i post new link with the photos http://imgur.com/a/xMviL . are any of those a valid recovery point, or i have to get some attachments.
First is definitely not a recovery point.
Second - Pull the tow tongue out and simply put a shackle or hook receiver into the tow bar. NEVER use the tow Ball.
Third - IMHO it's not ideal but ok for light recoveries.

uncaged123
14-12-15, 10:58 PM
Ziggy where about do you live? Maybe one of the member who lives near you could drop by to check your jeep and discuss what you require in getting ready for your first offroad trip.

Cheers Rob

Zippy
18-12-15, 12:29 AM
i live around bankstown area.
Alright, ill try sort what i can out, yeh i wanna learn just most my friends bought you know street cars since im only 20. never been keen for street cars so.

uncaged123
19-12-15, 07:22 AM
Ziggy, I live in Cabramatta and could meet you one day next week, either near Sporty or in Bankstown Square carpark. Just text to me your mobile no. My mobile no. is 0432 444 247.

Cheers RobS

uncaged123
15-01-16, 12:23 PM
Hi Zippy, the next club meeting will be on the first Wednesday in February at Dooley Bowling Club, Regent Park. Starting at 7:30 pm if you're able to make it. Also I could meet up with you sometime next week around Bankstown to look at your jeep to advise of recovery points. Let me know where you like to catch up for a chat.

Cheers RobS