PDA

View Full Version : WJ seeking information on E Lockers?

Goneagain
09-01-16, 04:28 AM
Hi All,

I am going to have some work done on the front diff Dana 30 and was wondering if any one has fitted a locker in the WJ Front Diff. I would get it fitted while it is open.

I have been suggested the Eaton E-Locker for $1500.

My off roading is mild but have been caught short once and hence now I have a winch and bar and would like to do more off roading and in the C++ bracket, with 2.5" lift.

Should I go for lockers in boths diffs of only one diff and which one specifically, front or back?

All advice welcome. :smile-new:

Regards, Adrian.

Elio S
09-01-16, 08:56 AM
Is your WJ quadradrive or quadratrac II. If it's quadradrive, you're going to have to swap out your front diff with that of a quadratrac II to fit a locker to it. As for the rear unfortunatley there aren't a lot of options when it comes to fitting a locking differential. If it's a quadratrac II you can fit an auto locker to it, but that is all that's available for them and not recommended if it's your daily driver. When I had mine, the plan was to fit an elocker to the front, and a quadradrive diff to the rear, but I sold it to buy a TJ before that happened.

Goneagain
09-01-16, 01:53 PM
Is your WJ quadradrive or quadratrac II. If it's quadradrive, you're going to have to swap out your front diff with that of a quadratrac II to fit a locker to it. As for the rear unfortunatley there aren't a lot of options when it comes to fitting a locking differential. If it's a quadratrac II you can fit an auto locker to it, but that is all that's available for them and not recommended if it's your daily driver. When I had mine, the plan was to fit an elocker to the front, and a quadradrive diff to the rear, but I sold it to buy a TJ before that happened.

Hi Elio S, thanks for your replay my WJ is a Quadratrac II and a daily driver. when I took it to Langs difffs in Hornsby to access the bearing noise in the front diff. Lang suggested 2 E lockers one front and one back and discounted the detroit locker I suggested. The rear has a Dana 44, in my reading some had put in a or quadradrive diff or detroit locker, and other similar auto lockers in the rear, but these click, not quadradrive, when turning which would drive me up the wall I like a quite ride but maybe I wouldn't notice it.

So it may be do the front diff and elocker and see about reseaching a quadradrive diff for the rear? Thanks and regards, Adrian.

Elio S
09-01-16, 10:09 PM
So it may be do the front diff and elocker and see about reseaching a quadradrive diff for the rear? Thanks and regards, Adrian.

Yes, I'd go a quadradrive rear diff too. The WJ ride is too nice to muck up with an autolocker, and if your Grand Cherokee just happens to be a diesel, it'll code up and go into limp home mode with an autolocker in it.

Wooders
09-01-16, 10:44 PM
The rear diff is a D44a not a D44. Regular D44 lockers will not fit.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Goneagain
10-01-16, 05:38 PM
The rear diff is a D44a not a D44. Regular D44 lockers will not fit.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Hello Dave, Nice to hear from you.

At the moment the plan looks like Easton E-Locker in the front which leaves the rear i don't know how much work a quadradrive would be or if there are other options suited to a D44a.

What options do I have for the rear with a D44a? And if I go the quadradrive rear diff what's involved please? :smile-new:

Regards, Adrian.

SJC #319

Goneagain
11-01-16, 02:52 PM
Ok, I have looked and it seems there are Aussie and Spartan lockers available for the rear as well as the Quadradrive.

Elio S, I am struggling with finding information of what's involved in installing a Quadradrive, did you work this out?

Is it a big task what's involved the whole rear end and would I be able to do it a nuts and bolts guy? Or does it have to go to a Mechanic? is there an approximate cost?

Best regards Adrian.:smile-new:

SJC #319

Elio S
12-01-16, 09:42 AM
Ok, I have looked and it seems there are Aussie and Spartan lockers available for the rear as well as the Quadradrive.

Elio S, I am struggling with finding information of what's involved in installing a Quadradrive, did you work this out?

Is it a big task what's involved the whole rear end and would I be able to do it a nuts and bolts guy? Or does it have to go to a Mechanic? is there an approximate cost?

Best regards Adrian.:smile-new:

SJC #319

Simple. Find a complete 2nd hand quadradrive differential assembly including housing, axles, etc.. Remove your standard open diff and install the new diff. Beware if you're ring around the wreckers for one, most wreckers aren't specific Jeep wreckers and they can't tell you wether it's Quadradrive or Quadratrac. Even All Model 4x4 had no idea when I rung them, in fact they were quite rude when I queried them. Best thing to do is find one that's still in a car that you can confirm is Quadradrive and say "I want that one"

Goneagain
12-01-16, 10:13 PM
Simple. Find a complete 2nd hand quadradrive differential assembly including housing, axles, etc.. Remove your standard open diff and install the new diff. Beware if you're ring around the wreckers for one, most wreckers aren't specific Jeep wreckers and they can't tell you wether it's Quadradrive or Quadratrac. Even All Model 4x4 had no idea when I rung them, in fact they were quite rude when I queried them. Best thing to do is find one that's still in a car that you can confirm is Quadradrive and say "I want that one"

Hi Elio S. Thanks for all the information I can do that. I'ii look around and see what is about. Thank you again for all you help it is very muchly appreciated. Best Regards Adrian.

Goneagain
12-01-16, 10:16 PM

Hi Elio S. Thanks for all the information I can do that. I'll look around and see what I can find. Thank you again for all you help it is very muchly appreciated. Best Regards Adrian.