PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

wayne
12-02-16, 09:33 AM
Hi guys,

Here we go again, more tyre questions.

I'm needing to replace my JK's tyres, they still have the standard 245/75R17 on. The jeep used to used mostly(99%) as a car for the wife to get to work and travel around, this is about to change. She's getting her own car, now I can do what I've always wanted too with it.

I've also recently joined up with you guys, so I'll be joining some of the trips, starter ones and then onto whatever else.

Anyway, I need to replace the tyres as they pretty much need to be, remember the car is going to be less used for the daily commute. I'm looking at the Cooper AT3 LT 245/70R17 or the S/T MAXX 265/70R17.

Would you guys suggest first the more offroad tyre, being the ST/MAXX for the purpose of the car in the future, and will be there be any issues/problems going with the 265 instead of the 245 tyre width?

Wayne

Milky
12-02-16, 12:10 PM
I would suggest going for at least 245/75R17 as moving to 245/70R17 will reduce your ground clearance by approx 1/2 inch and affect gearing (higher engine RPM at given velocity).
Only problem is not many tyres here in the land down under come in 245/75R17 so 265/70R17 is the closest you can get to stock.
A tyre I am considering is the Kelly Safari TSR which I believe comes in 245/75 and 265/70, also worth checking the load rating of a given tyre as E rated will generally have a thicker sidewall and ride a bit rougher than say C or D rated.
Re increasing width to 265 this is only 20mm wider than stock, and 10mm wider than the 255 width tyres they put on Jeeps in the land of the free & cheesy fries so should be fine.
I'm currently weighing up 265/70 vs 285/70 but leaning towards the latter as bigger is better (provided no rubbing on stock wheels or gearing out of whack).

wayne
12-02-16, 12:22 PM
I've noticed that same thing with trying to find a 75, most are 70.

Ok, then I'll have to do some reading on the load rating. Let's hope the website says something about that. As for the 285/70, I've also read that some people are getting the rubbing effect :-), but only on certain tyres. So to skip having possible issues I'm going to steer clear of that size.

If for example I go for the 265/70, which will reduce ground clearance, lifting the car will negate this if I do that in the future correct? But I suspecting this will bring in some new questions... So much to think about.

Dave
12-02-16, 02:29 PM
If you are about to start getting into trips off the tar you should also consider replacing your stock springs and shocks! A 2 inch lift is easy to come by, ARB, TJM, Ultimate Suspension... they all do it. If you flash your club member card, many places will give a 10% discount. You will also find that your ride improves both on and off road.

Most importantly you will make it much easier to fit larger tyres without rubbing! I know guys in the club that are running 285/70/17 (which is about 33' diameter) without rubbing/clearance issues. It will affect your performance a bit, and many JK drivers change their ratios too...

Happy Jeeping :)

Dave

wayne
12-02-16, 02:47 PM
Hi Dave,

Club card, does that come through sometime after I join up. Did this morning, so I assume it would take a while before that happens. Then I'll wait a while till that comes through, I've gotten a quote from PowerTyres on the Coopers, are there are list of preferred places to go too.

We will most certainly be doing some off-road stuff, want to have a look for easy trips the club is organizing when I have a chance this weekend. As I'm new to the whole thing, will take it easy.

In the next month or two I'll be outfitting the jeep with front and rear bumpers, I also need some trays for the back and a roof rack, only to mention a few things. There obviously all the smaller items that need to come too.

Dave
12-02-16, 09:34 PM
Hi Dave,

Club card, does that come through sometime after I join up. Did this morning, so I assume it would take a while before that happens. Then I'll wait a while till that comes through, I've gotten a quote from PowerTyres on the Coopers, are there are list of preferred places to go too.

We will most certainly be doing some off-road stuff, want to have a look for easy trips the club is organizing when I have a chance this weekend. As I'm new to the whole thing, will take it easy.

In the next month or two I'll be outfitting the jeep with front and rear bumpers, I also need some trays for the back and a roof rack, only to mention a few things. There obviously all the smaller items that need to come too.

Hi Wayne, yes, the club card should come soon. Our membership officer sorts them, and he should have received your online membership today.

Front and rear bars etc are obviously heavy, so up rated tyres and suspension are definitely a good idea! I don't have a JK, but if any other members out there have any ideas for you, I'm sure they will come through :)

If you can wait a month or two for roofracks, trays/drawers... then you can often get good ideas and deals at the Rosehill Supershow in April.

See you out there!
Dave

Heidi
16-02-16, 08:41 AM
We are running Dick Cepek Fun Country on our JKU - whilst they where not what we originally wanted we are more than happy with them. They are a fairly aggressive AT. We have done over 40k so far and they are wearing well. They were a fair bit cheaper than the coopers and mickey thompsons which is why the lease company was happier for us to have them.