View Full Version : OBD scan tool

lol
07-03-16, 08:42 PM
hi folks
Can anyone recommend a scan tool to extract the error codes from a 96 Xj.
I bought a Maxiscan. Thinking spending a bit more money on a tool would guarantee it would be compatible... seems I wasted my money.

cheers

darksidecustoms
10-03-16, 02:30 PM
OBD1 or OBD2? Haven't seen the Maxiscan, but I use an ELM327 OBD2 dongle from eBay with an app on my iPhone (OBD Fusion)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wooders
18-03-16, 02:51 PM
96 XJ is likely to have the OBD2 port but to be running OBD1 - which would be why the Maxiscan didn't work.
Unfortunately 96 was the crossover year for the XJ
I use an Innova Equus 3120 which is ok (screen isn't great). But dont expect to get as much data compared to the obd2.

Superscan811
12-06-16, 03:14 PM
Just purchased (and waiting on delivery of) a WITEC VCI POD. It supposedly allows you to reprogram most Jeep ecu's up until 2013. They aren't cheap at $650, but it will be cheaper than taking my '99 Larado to the service department to fix all my current issues.
ABS
Idle Speed Controller
Fuel gauge
Engine miss at 1900rpm
etc...

Cheers.

Superscan811
02-07-16, 02:00 PM
The Witech VCI pod works well.. Was able to install a new ECU and program it with the VIN so it works. ABS is a faulty sensor on the passanger rear and the fuel gauge issue along with engine miss is due to the old ECU.

Reset all codes and currently have codes for the O2 sensor and Leak detection pump (P1495)

The software isn't al that intuitive, but it works.

Very happy..