PDA

View Full Version : Zig Zag/Newnes B Grade 30.4.16

Dru
06-04-16, 11:49 AM
In the absence of withdrawals - THIS TRIP LIST IS NOW CLOSED

Outline:

Kerry and I think we are better doing this trip in reverse. Starting at Spanish Steps, finishing at Pipeline. This means a different meeting point - meeting at Shell Service Station Lithgow - Corner "Magpie Hollow Road" and Great Western Highway. This is the first servo on the left as you enter Lithgow.

Alternative meeting place is Richmond Macca's 7:00 for 7:30 am.

Revised route means we get to the furthest point on bitumen, and finish up closest to Sydney.

Revised route is starting from Colgan Rd entering Black Fellow's Hand trail from the western end of Newnes. We will run out and back on Spanish Steps if anyone wants to wait out the B Grade start. Then cutting across Black Fellow's Hand to secondary trails out to the powerlines, Finish at pipeline.

The trip is perfect for anyone wishing to extend their driving experience. View points, alternatives etc will be respected throughout.

Where: Newnes State Forest and NP inside Lithgow.

Grade: B Grade C link roads

When: Saturday 30th April

Meet: A: Richmond Macca's 7:00 for 7:30

Or: B: Lithgow Servo 9:00 for 9:30

Requirements: Any B Grade trip should be treated with respect. Note however that this trip is ideal for experimenting with B Grade. Required: Radio, recovery gear, recovery points, lunch, water, first aid kit. Recommended: AT tyres, 2" lift, rock rails, camera, good fire trail shoes.

Contact Details: 0411 446 035: Kerry (changed contact)

This run is limited to: I'd like to keep this to a 10 vehicle convoy max. Some experienced drivers would be appreciated to assist - slots are held for this.

Attending:

Could everyone reconfirm so we know that every one is meeting up at the right (new) point?

CONFIRMED
1, Dru: Dru'n'Kerry; JK Richmond then on to Lithgow
2. Steve F: Steve; JK LITHGOW
3. Mohawk: "Canada" Nick and Pam, JK LITHGOW
4. Dobbo56: "Doggy" Dave, JK RICHMOND
5. Will98: Will; JK Lithgow

Cheers

Dru'n'Kerry

Will98
06-04-16, 12:00 PM
Hey Dru, trip sounds awesome!
Please put me down,
Cheers,
Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep11
06-04-16, 05:55 PM
Hey Dru,
i will sign up for this run please
Steve and Hayley

isherz
06-04-16, 06:58 PM
Hey dru
Please add us John & Di

Nekked
06-04-16, 08:55 PM
I'm in. But will 100% confirm closer to the date

Steve F
06-04-16, 10:31 PM
Why not :) Put me down as well.

Cheers
Steve

Teshie
06-04-16, 10:58 PM
Please count me in, thanks.

uncaged123
07-04-16, 04:56 AM
Hi Dru, I'm interested in this trip also.

Cheers RobS

SteveC
08-04-16, 10:56 AM
Please include me. Thanks.

Heidi
16-04-16, 09:28 AM
Steve C - is your membership current? If not you will need to re-join

Mohawk
16-04-16, 11:37 PM
Please add Nick & Pam (Yellow JK) to the reserve list.
I've gotta respond to these things more quickly. Still daydreaming of Airlie.
Cheers!

rupicon
18-04-16, 07:06 AM
I would be keen but J has a football game

Jeep11
18-04-16, 08:18 PM
Hey Dru,
Can you please take Hayley and I off the list for this trip
Thanks
Steve and Hayley

Dru
21-04-16, 12:13 PM
Could everyone sign back in on this thread and confirm the changed route? Same trip but we have decided to run it in reverse, Spanish Steps first, Pipeline last. This means the meet up point has changed. The front post has been altered, but I cant change the Thread title - but we finish at ZigZag - it is NOT the meeting point.

Reason is to finish closer to Sydney.

A: Richmond Maccas 7:00 for 7:30.
B: Lithgow Shell Servo 9:00 for 9:30: Corner Magpie Hollow Rd and Great Western Highway, Lithgow (the suburb is "South Bowenfels") - first servo on your left when you get to Lithgow from Blue Mountains.

Regards

Dru'n'Kerry

See front page/post of list confirmation.

Link for the Lithgow Servo: http://www.localstore.com.au/map/49261/coles-express-lithgow/lithgow/

Mohawk
21-04-16, 02:19 PM
Canada confirms! Glad we squeaked in :) Cheers!

Teshie
21-04-16, 09:01 PM
Sorry Dru, please count me out as I am looking at getting a skid plate or two and some heavy duty bars before trying B grade trips. Thanks.

Steve F
21-04-16, 09:16 PM
Confirmed, see you in lithgow

Dru
22-04-16, 11:44 AM
Trip notes if you wish to print them.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Newnes%20B%20Grade%20Trip%20notes_zpsrx9ivik1.jpg

uncaged123
22-04-16, 12:04 PM
Hi Dru, jeep will be back on the road Wednesday/Thursday. Clutch problem - possibly the thrush bearing on its way out.

I'm fine with the reverse travel and will meet you at Lithgow. Hope the spanish steps is not as bad as that step Ii needed to be pulled over last trip. Lol

Cheers Rob

Steve F
22-04-16, 12:04 PM
So both ways on Spanish steps. Cool :) Rob, Spanish steps isn't too bad, there are a couple of ways through it, my favorite bit is the shorty climb only at the end of the steps, looks tough but so grippy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRwJxBLiwk

Cheers
Steve

uncaged123
22-04-16, 12:12 PM
Thanks Steve. The ahorty bit looks similar to the step I was pulled over on.the last trip. Thats the only problem with a jku.

Cheers Rob

Steve F
22-04-16, 12:15 PM
Thanks Steve. The ahorty bit looks similar to the step I was pulled over on.the last trip. Thats the only problem with a jku.

Cheers Rob

No need to drive this bit, it's off to the left of the main track after the steps. Last time I was there was with a mate in a 2" lifted Prado with traction control and all terrains. Other than a bit of banging underneath he drove the steps easily, just a case of taking the line that suits the vehicle.

Cheers
Steve

Dru
22-04-16, 01:58 PM
Rob, remember how on Airlie there were spots where the JKU had front and back wheels approaching steps at the same time? Here its the shorties with that issue, and the JKU just crawls through. Shortie ramp over helps on the optional play bits like Steve F's vid. But mostly the long wheel base is better on this one.

Ditto, auto wins over manual on these rocks.

The only reason for a tow or winch, is if someone gets off line and cross camber becomes an issue. (Says while quickly wrapping knuckles on wood.)

Its true rock crawling and perfect for Jeeps. :excitement:

isherz
23-04-16, 09:52 AM
Hey Dru
Just realised its a Saturday and we now have a family commitment ...duty calls do till next time ...we can chat about your cargo area at the next meet ????

Dru
23-04-16, 10:36 AM
OK there is room for more, there is no reserve list and confirmations are seeing the list number down.

lpires
23-04-16, 01:42 PM
Hi Dru,

I'm quite new to the forum and not a member yet, can I still join you guys?

Cheers,
Laert

Dru
23-04-16, 04:00 PM
Hi Dru,

I'm quite new to the forum and not a member yet, can I still join you guys?

Cheers,
Laert

Ipires, SJC always suggest possible new members do a couple of trips to check us out first and then join.

I dont recommend a B grade as your first club trip though! Its what we did and cost us a couple of thousand $. Starting on a C/C+ might be advisable.

To put it in perspective, C grade is "normal" 4wd-ing, C+ grade is challenging, B Grade is advanced and damage expected (my last B Grade trip had 3 out of 13 jeeps back at the mechanics, all were modified and updated jeeps; the one before that had 1out of 5 at the mechanics), A grade is rare and close to comp truck stuff - half their fun is re-building the truck.

let us know what you think.

Dru

dobbo56
23-04-16, 06:10 PM
Seeing as there's room, please put me on the list thanks Dru, been wanting to do Spanish Steps for ages. Many thanks, see you at Richmond, Doggy...;-)

Dru
23-04-16, 07:41 PM
Seeing as there's room, please put me on the list thanks Dru, been wanting to do Spanish Steps for ages. Many thanks, see you at Richmond, Doggy...;-)

Done, Dave. See you at Richmond.

Dru'n'Kerry

Nekked
23-04-16, 10:03 PM
Yep I'm good for Richmond maccas at the meet time. 👍

Dru
23-04-16, 11:28 PM
Yep I'm good for Richmond maccas at the meet time. ��

Thanks Alex!

Our jeep's at the certifiers test track this weekend. So it will be TWO bloody WEEKS since we've been on the trails. Getting a touch edgy. It'll be good next weekend. One of our favourite play grounds and a group who want to play.

:smile-new::smile-new::smile-new:

lpires
24-04-16, 03:02 PM
Ipires, SJC always suggest possible new members do a couple of trips to check us out first and then join.

I dont recommend a B grade as your first club trip though! Its what we did and cost us a couple of thousand $. Starting on a C/C+ might be advisable.

To put it in perspective, C grade is "normal" 4wd-ing, C+ grade is challenging, B Grade is advanced and damage expected (my last B Grade trip had 3 out of 13 jeeps back at the mechanics, all were modified and updated jeeps; the one before that had 1out of 5 at the mechanics), A grade is rare and close to comp truck stuff - half their fun is re-building the truck.

let us know what you think.

Dru

Thanks Dru, I got a 2.5" lift, 32" duratracs, front+rear bars, disco's and winch on a shorty crd. Im not the most experienced wheeler out there so if you think is not a good trip to tag along... I'll try another one next time!
Cheers,

Dru
24-04-16, 03:49 PM
Thanks Dru, I got a 2.5" lift, 32" duratracs, front+rear bars, disco's and winch on a shorty crd. Im not the most experienced wheeler out there so if you think is not a good trip to tag along... I'll try another one next time!
Cheers,

Probably better for your first. Keep checking in, trips come up all the time.

Dru

Elio S
25-04-16, 08:57 AM
Hi Dru, although I'm on shift that day, I'm interested in coming if I can get a day off in leui. I'll have to let you know when it gets approved. In regards to the Spanish Steps, I was a member of the Blue Mountains 4wd club up until this year and apparently the Spanish steps are gated as they were always organising trips to repair damage done to the gates by rogue 4x4'ers. Did you know this?

Dru
25-04-16, 10:54 AM
Elio, thanks for the heads up. No I know nothing about the gates being repaired. I thought Lithgow Club was in control of the gates previously? What is tne Blue Mountains role? Do you know who to contact?

the gates were unsuccessful and the trail open for many years. Our last access was last year at Jambo, and we had a look at the start from Blackfellows Hand 6 months ago (ish) there was nothing new at the gates back then.

dru

Steve F
25-04-16, 12:44 PM
The gates haven't been there for years, in fact at the Blackfellows had end there is just a post, no gate at all, and even the post is pretty much rusted away. I was there, 6 months ago, and I can't imagine it has changed much since then. Even it if there is a locked gate at the Sunnyside ridge track (there is a sign but it's been there forever) we are turning around and running back anyway :)

Cheers
Steve

Dru
25-04-16, 01:03 PM
Thats what I am expecting too Steve.

Elio S
26-04-16, 06:17 AM
Haven't been to one of the club meetings in the best part of about 14 -16 months, I just seem to recall there was always mention of a workshop day where members with generators and welders were needed to repair the gates. Not sure who's on the committee now, but I found this email address on their website info@bluemtns4wdclub.asn.au.
I will ask the question via Facebook, as several members are on my friends list.

Dru
26-04-16, 08:00 AM
We've driven it four times in the period. I'd suggest that the gates are beyond repair. I have a query out with the State Forrestry (interesting if that gets a response).

Elio S
26-04-16, 08:54 AM
Ok the official word seems to be the track is supposed to be gated. Unofficial word is the gates are in such a state of disrepair that anyone can access the track. No one seems too worried about it

Goneagain
26-04-16, 12:37 PM
Hi Dru,

Please put me down for this one. WJ Grand Cherokee. Richmond

Dru
26-04-16, 12:43 PM
Thanks Adrian.

OK - (subject to any withdrawals) This trip list is now closed.

Dru'n'Kerry

Elio S
26-04-16, 02:50 PM
Hi Dru, have just heard back from one of the committee members of the BM4WD club and he reported the Spanish steps are definitely open. Sorry about any confusion I created :-/

Dru
26-04-16, 04:13 PM
No worries. Much better to chase in advance. It'll be interesting to see what State Forrestry comes back with - I fired off a request that seems to have them chasing answers.

Dru

Heidi
26-04-16, 05:18 PM
It was gated with the key's held by the 4wd association. Unfortunately the gates where constantly damaged that after many years of trying to make it work it was finally agreed not to continue with the keyed access. State forest where still happy with the constant diligence for repeated working bee's etc and it has helped start conversations about other area's
I once asked at a NPWS meeting how they maintain the gates to their locked area's - the response was that they replaced them every week when they are new and gradually the time between gates being destroyed is lengthened as people give up accessing (plus camera's)

Dru
27-04-16, 01:00 PM
Weather forecast - RAIN Almost no chance we will avoid it. Expect mud and clay.

This will make life interesting. :highly_amused: We may need to avoid parts of the Power Lines. OTOH, it wont be hard to find B Grade, LOL.

uncaged123
29-04-16, 10:26 AM
Hii Dru, sorry I'm out ! Jeep fixed but I'm down with the ruddy flu !!! Was looking forward to doing the spanish steps after the last trip a few weeks ago.

Hopefully another return trip will come up again soon.

Cheers Rob

Dru
29-04-16, 10:46 AM
Thanks Rob.

Goneagain
29-04-16, 11:13 AM
Hi Dru, sorry I'm out too! I just came back from the Doctor's and he has ordered me to bed because of the flu.
I was looking forward to do the Spanish steps after all I have heard about them, next time.

Have a great time.

Regards Adrian

Dru
29-04-16, 12:48 PM
Cheers Adrian.

dobbo56
29-04-16, 03:13 PM
Hi Dru, I'm Still in yea... see you tomorrow.

Nekked
30-04-16, 06:28 AM
Apologies Dru and Kerry,

cannot make ale it as I've got another commitment I cannot get out of.

have fun everyone!

Dru
30-04-16, 07:58 AM
New contact if needed Kerry 0411 446 035

dobbo56
30-04-16, 06:33 PM
Another very Challenging day out on the tracks, nice tight group today, only 5 JKs, 3 Rubis and 2 Sports, open difs but Will and I followed the Rubis everywhere. Thanks Dru and Kerry for all your planning, top day. Now its Beer oclock. Doggy.

Steve F
30-04-16, 06:53 PM
Great day, I'm shattered now though :) Only one vehicle needed a recovery but it winched itself out of a bog hole.... Well done Dru and Kerry ;)

That Jeep traction control is very good, I ran tail behind Will and it was interesting watching it stop for a second until the traction control kicked in and then it was off again, I think the lockers made it easier for me but on this trip they were no huge advantage as the rock was gripping and the traction control helped when wheels were lifted.

We got through Spanish Steps, Son of Bob, Lost city, Power lines and then down to pipe line where 3 of us had to bail, hopefully that last bit went well for Dru and Will.

Again, great day, thanks guys.

Steve

Dru
30-04-16, 07:14 PM
The only thing to add about that bog hole is that it was completely empty. :heart-borken: Pretty much no rain during the day either, just enough to reduce dust.

Pipeline is a challenge but both jeeps straight through and only took about 20 mins.

Great crew today, thanks everyone for a another enjoyable days on the trails. Lets hope it rains tonight for the farmers, they need it.

Dru'n'Kerry

Mohawk
30-04-16, 07:38 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160430/1af14c25ab8f0abfbb1ff5bdac63f92a.jpg

Amazing Day! The company and the trails were great, and the Lost City was stunning.

Thanks Everyone!

Will98
30-04-16, 07:50 PM
Thanks Dru and Kerry, it was a great day!!
All the tracks were great, It was awesome to do Spanish steps for the first time, and pipeline was good fun!

Cheers,
Will

Steve F
03-05-16, 11:01 PM
Forgot to get the video off my dashcam before it got over written as I had a smaller card in it, anyway, I did get some :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m29VsG8mISI

Cheers
Steve

Dru
04-05-16, 12:36 PM
View from TEC looks particularly cool. You get to see the flex.

:-)