PDA

View Full Version : Bowtells Swing Bridge via Jenolan Forest, 6ft track – Sunday 5th June

richhenning
10-04-16, 09:38 PM
Postponed due to bad weather

Scenic family day trip to Bowtells Swing Bridge via Jenolan Forest, also called 6 Foot Track.
Sunday 5 June 2016

This is an easy drive with lots of time for a picnic at Cox river bank and a bush walk to the Swing bridge, about a 1km walk, and a challenge to walk across it.

Meet: Hartley Court House (This is on Old Bathurst Road just slightly off Great Western Highway)

Time: 9:00am with 9:15am departure (If running late or no show please ring me on 0411 688 057)

Grade: D can potentially depend on weather in previous couple of days but track is suitable for stock vehicles. It can involve a couple of usually shallow river and creek crossings. Has some nice ruts!
Great for newcomers, stock vehicles, families, or if you want to show us your latest lift. Just a nice day out. There is lots of driving though, so be warned. Depending on weather and general consensus at the time we may come out via the Waterfall track, this will involve some C Grade 4WDing, exact route will decided on the day.

Requirements: recovery points Front/Rear, recovery gear, radio, food/drink, camera, sturdy shoes, family, friends.

Numbers: limited to 10

Fuel: Coming from Sydney, last servo is at Mt Victoria before Hartley. Be advised trek itself is ~60kms plus ~40kms on tarmac, Please fuel up before meeting the convoy.

Looking forward to the day!
Cheers,
Steve

1. Steve
2. Nash and family
3. Piero and Evonne
4. Amy & Ben
5. Aaron
6. Greg
7. James and family

darksidecustoms
10-04-16, 09:47 PM
Put us down Rich, Nash and family in the XJ. Just what we were looking for ;-)

Would time permit to head west-bound to visit Janolan Caves I the afternoon or would that cut it a bit fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richhenning
10-04-16, 10:00 PM
Hey Nash, that would potentially make for a very long day. The trip already involves a lot of time behind the wheel, but if folk wish to head to the caves afterwards, more than welcome.
Another option for those that are keen is to make a weekend of it in the mountains.

Peo
11-04-16, 12:41 PM
Please put me (Piero) and Evonne down Rich. Thanks
If time permits a trip to the caves sounds like fun.

eclectism
12-04-16, 09:02 AM
Put us down, hopefully our jeep will be ready by that point- Amy & Ben

darksidecustoms
12-04-16, 11:17 AM
Hey Nash, that would potentially make for a very long day. The trip already involves a lot of time behind the wheel, but if folk wish to head to the caves afterwards, more than welcome.
Another option for those that are keen is to make a weekend of it in the mountains.

Yeah an overnight stay might be a good idea

darksidecustoms
10-05-16, 11:15 PM
Bump

richhenning
23-05-16, 12:55 PM
Just a reminder for this trip in less than two weeks time.
A nice day out, and a good chance to get familiar with your jeep (any kind) in awesome surroundings (for those new to the calling).
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3FdNnt4ePAo/VDsMZwNA_ZI/AAAAAAADV04/nCpnPrv3YKY/s1024/MM_20110412_030146.JPG

richhenning
23-05-16, 12:58 PM
Challenge accepted

http://users.tpg.com.au/wlkrj01/Crossing%20Bowtells%20Swing%20Bridge%20over%20Coxs %20River.jpg

richhenning
28-05-16, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone,
Going to have to postpone this one unfortunately due to a broken jeep!
Put some new wheels on and picked up serious wobble. Going to take some time now to diagnose and fix, but the wobble is too bad for such a long trip.

Apologies, I was looking forward to it and will post the trip again when I have this thing fixed. Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

darksidecustoms
28-05-16, 10:12 PM
Sad to hear mate. We were planning to be up that way anyway, so will likely do the run as a reccie as planned with Eclectism.
Piero & Evonne let us know if you would like to join or wait for Rich's trip.
Rich we may join you again on this trip in the future too, it's a real nice one.

Dru
28-05-16, 10:37 PM
Guys, not a reccie, just a run. Rich asked me to drop the calandar space. If you are still running, would you like the calandar slot back?

Dru

darksidecustoms
28-05-16, 10:54 PM
Guys, not a reccie, just a run. Rich asked me to drop the calandar space. If you are still running, would you like the calandar slot back?

Dru

Sent you a pm.

Peo
28-05-16, 11:01 PM
Sad to hear mate. We were planning to be up that way anyway, so will likely do the run as a reccie as planned with Eclectism.
Piero & Evonne let us know if you would like to join or wait for Rich's trip.
Rich we may join you again on this trip in the future too, it's a real nice one.

Jeep has just been serviced. Baby sitter has been organised for the 4 month old. We are still keen, just have no idea where we are going :encouragement:

Steve F
28-05-16, 11:55 PM
Happy to lead the trip if needed?

Cheers
Steve

Dru
29-05-16, 08:39 AM
There's a champion!

darksidecustoms
29-05-16, 10:03 AM
Sounds good Steve F, happy for you to give me some leadership pointers on the day for future.

Steve F
29-05-16, 10:31 AM
Ok, trip is back on, I'll edit the front page later today :) All details will stay the same though.

Cheers
Steve

richhenning
29-05-16, 01:35 PM
Thanks Steve, that's awesome. I really wanted to do this trip, but jeep is almost undriveable. Not sure it's full on death wobble yet, but if I hit a bump the wobbles get going and need to pull over for it calm down.

Thanks for keeping the trip on.
Rich.

Steve F
29-05-16, 01:37 PM
Thanks Steve, that's awesome. I really wanted to do this trip, but jeep is almost undriveable. Not sure it's full on death wobble yet, but if I hit a bump the wobbles get going and need to pull over for it calm down.

Thanks for keeping the trip on.
Rich.

If you want to come along I can pick you up on the way, I'm just in Mt Colah

Cheers
Steve

Peo
29-05-16, 09:46 PM
Ok, trip is back on, I'll edit the front page later today :) All details will stay the same though.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. Looking forward to a nice day out.

richhenning
30-05-16, 10:16 AM
Thanks very much for the offer Steve, but this was meant to be a family trip, so there were four of us planning to go along. I'll put up another trip later in the year.

Steve F
30-05-16, 05:49 PM
Thanks very much for the offer Steve, but this was meant to be a family trip, so there were four of us planning to go along. I'll put up another trip later in the year.

No problem, I thought that might be the case.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
01-06-16, 08:52 AM
Looks like there is a reasonable chance of rain on Sunday so be prepared, it's a bit of a hike/clamber to the bridge so some grippy, waterproof shoes will make it more enjoyable.

Cheers
Steve

AJ96XJ
01-06-16, 11:39 PM
Hey guys, it is Aaron here, the visitor who came with my dad Stewart and my brother Owen, the one who owns the 96 XJ.
I am interested on coming on this trip. The vehicle is bone stock. I am able to get snatchet straps (will I need these?), also does my XJ have sufficient recovery points? I also only have street tyres?
Sorry for sounding like a newbie but I am just curious as to whether my Jeep is up to sufficient standard or not?
I hope to go on this trip.:smile-new:

Steve F
01-06-16, 11:43 PM
Hey guys, it is Aaron here, the visitor who came with my dad Stewart and my brother Owen, the one who owns the 96 XJ.
I am interested on coming on this trip. The vehicle is bone stock. I am able to get snatchet straps (will I need these?), also does my XJ have sufficient recovery points? I also only have street tyres?
Sorry for sounding like a newbie but I am just curious as to whether my Jeep is up to sufficient standard or not?
I hope to go on this trip.:smile-new:
It'll be fine :)

Cheers
Steve

AJ96XJ
02-06-16, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Steve.

Greg D
02-06-16, 12:21 PM
Steve, I'll join you on this trip. See you at Hartley.
Greg

Steve F
02-06-16, 05:22 PM
Check back here on Saturday for confirmation of the trip, Sunday has a 95% chance of rain with up to 80mm in Sydney and 40mm in Lithgow (following 80mm the day before). If there is a lot of rain the day will not be a lot of fun and the tracks will potentially become very slippery. Lets see how it looks on Saturday afternoon and go from there.

Sydney weather

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/sydney/sydney

Lithgow Weather, heavy rain Saturday with the same on Sunday.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/central-tablelands/lithgow

Cheers
Steve

jamest
02-06-16, 10:48 PM
Hi Steve,

I'd love to join this trip as well if it goes ahead. I'd be coming with my wife Karen and son Angus (4) and had been watching out for a day like this where I could bring the family along.

The BOM forecast is predicting 45 to 120mm of rain on Sunday! http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/jenolan-caves.shtml

I'm in a wk2 and still only have road tyres, so understand if it is too slippery and better to sit this one out.

Cheers

James

Steve F
02-06-16, 10:54 PM
I'll add you to the list, if it's terrible weather we'll postpone the trip but if it goes ahead the WK2 will be fine :)

There is an easier way in and out if the weather is questionable, graded track etc, planning to go ahead at this point but will know for sure Saturday afternoon.

Cheers
Steve

Peo
02-06-16, 11:12 PM
Just had another look as well. Forecast for heavy rain

http://m.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/central-tablelands/jenolan

Fingers crossed they are wrong

AJ96XJ
03-06-16, 05:10 PM
Hey guys, if it is going to rain on the Sunday, I will probably not be coming.
I don't think my tyres would be up to it. They aren't to great in the rain let alone in the mud or on black ice?
I guess we're just going to have to wait and see what the weather does, but it doesn't sound to pleasant so far.
Will be getting a 2 inch lift and all terrains asap so hopefully next time if it rains.

Peo
03-06-16, 07:48 PM
Forecast is for heavy rain all of Saturday and continuing until midday on Sunday when it changes up to showers.

It's looking less and less likely we will be able to go.

Steve F
03-06-16, 09:57 PM
Yep, not looking good but we'll check the weather around 4:00pm on Saturday and make a call then.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
04-06-16, 11:35 AM
I think it's safe to say the trip is postponed, apart from the trails the walk to the bridge isn't especially safe in this sort of weather or after all this rain. So, we'll reschedule for some time after the long weekend.

Postponed due to bad weather

Cheers
Steve

eclectism
04-06-16, 11:39 AM
Fair call. We'll keep any eye out for the next trip.

darksidecustoms
04-06-16, 11:43 AM
Agreed, was thinking about it this morning that Cox's River will likely be real high.

Greg D
04-06-16, 12:21 PM
Good call, Steve.

Peo
04-06-16, 01:14 PM
Was already planning what movie I was I was going to watch instead. Will keep an eye out for the next C or D trip

Steve F
05-06-16, 11:38 AM
When I need the Jeep to navigate the flooded local roads to get to the shop I know we made the right choice ;)

Cheers
Steve

AJ96XJ
09-06-16, 09:15 PM
Hey guys, I am wondering when this trip is going to happen, or if it has just been cancelled?
I am new to all this so I am not sure and as I see there is no harm in asking right?

Heidi
09-06-16, 11:16 PM
Hi AJ96XJ

I am sure it will be rescheduled soon, a new post will go up when it is.

Heidi

AJ96XJ
10-06-16, 12:14 PM
Ok, thanks.

darksidecustoms
19-07-16, 08:17 PM
I'm going to give this a nudge anyone has some proposed dates for reschedule?

richhenning
20-07-16, 12:40 PM
Hi Nash,
I do intend to run this trip still, and will repost, but won't run it until late October at least. We are preparing for a 4 week USA family trip in September, and the jeep is still having some issues - might be ball joints not sure. So when those two things are sorted and behind me then I'll repost.

cheers,
Rich

darksidecustoms
20-07-16, 10:10 PM
All good, works for us.