PDA

View Full Version : Meteor spotting this weekend - Mount Bindo

Dru
03-05-16, 10:36 AM
Late trip I know, just putting it out there in case there are other sky spotters out there. Friday and Saturday early morning is the time to watch the best meteor show on earth.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-02/may-sky-guide/7356040

Much better to watch in a dark area. So Kerry and I will find accommodation in Lithgow on Friday night after work 6.5.16. Catch a few winks (just a few) then head out, probably to Mount Bindo to be there by 4:00am latest.

Naturally this means just a couple of k of trails in the dark, but the trails to Mount Bindo are more D grade than C grade. We don't have auxiliary lighting and we are not worried about it. We need a view to open sky out to the south east.

We'd be very happy for Jeeps to join us.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/meteor-Eta-Aquarid-Mount-Bromo-Justin-Ng_zpsyjsvuqfa.jpg

That's an actual photo from this meteor shower (it's an annual event) in Indonesia in 2013. This year should be spectacular as there is no moon.

Once the show is over, and we catch the sun rise, we'll take a quick run through Jenolan State Forest - roughly the trip that Steve and Hayley ran at Jambo. Call it a C+ with C alternate.

Where: Overnight in Lithgow, Night track to Mt Bindo, return homw via Jenolan forest
Grade: D/C Grade for the night driving. C or C+ for the trip home.
When: Overnight in Lithgow this Friday 6.5.16
Meet 3:00am Saturday morning in the dark
Meeting Point:
Depends if we overnight together, if not let's meet at the Shell Servo in South Bowenfels, Lithgow; Corner of Great Western Hwy and Magpie Hollow rd
RQTs:
Stock is fine. If you want to do the C+ part, 2" lift and ATs recommended. Your headlights need to work on the night. REQUIRED: rug up, seats, coffee making, binoculars if you have them
Numbers: Not going to be a problem, but for forms sake let's say 8 max.

Steve F
03-05-16, 04:01 PM
Oooo, I'm kinda interested but may not be able to overnight, it does appeal though, will check with Bec as it would bee a family affair.

Cheers
Steve

Will98
03-05-16, 07:22 PM
Yeah I'm interested as well Dru, I'll let you know a little later in the week.
Cheers,
Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dru
06-05-16, 11:18 AM
Looks like we'll be on our own. But just in case there are late "leave-passes". Meet up point is changed to be at the trun off Great Western Highway to Oberon. I will only wait if there are people interested. If there are I'll be there 3:50 for 3:00am. Call if it's late. Dru 0419 855 121

Steve F
06-05-16, 11:22 AM
Yep, can't make it, I was tempted to just roll the swag out at Mt Bindo and get you to wake me when you got there ;) Have fun, I'll be trying to spot anything from the deck at home.

Cheers
Steve

redrubi
08-05-16, 08:09 PM
Dru & Kerry,

As I was too lazy to get up at 3:00AM!!!! Where are the photos!:highly_amused:

darksidecustoms
08-05-16, 09:49 PM
Yeah we tried to get up early this morning to head to the total National Park but the clouds had already rolled in. Will try again Tuesday morning.

Dru
09-05-16, 08:19 AM
Kerry wasnt up to the trek overninght, so with no takers I just picked a local park. Recollection is the last time we saw it in England was better. We dont have rime lapse or night time camera so no pics sorry.

darksidecustoms
10-05-16, 11:14 PM
Managed to see a couple but would have been better closer to the main even I think. Also it appears Geary Beach is closed til 5:30am for deer hunting...