PDA

View Full Version : Wattagans: Daniels Point Road 23-7-16

Dru
07-05-16, 08:24 PM
Apologies to everyone. Our jeep is not going to be ready. We are planning to re-schedule this trip once we have a better idea of timing on certain JK repairs.

(Happy to hand over to an alternate trip leader if anyone is interested)

Dru: 0419 855 121

We had time to kill, so we ran a reccie of DPR today. Interesting drive. This is a track that is naturally slippery. The descent in is dirt wombat holes. All rain in the area catches at the bottom of the track. There is no way to avoid the bog holes there. Expect to need to winch. The climb out is mixed dirt wombat holes and rock steps. A capable jeep will still leave the driver with some technical driving, it's an interesting track.

There is only one spot with an alternate, and the alternate is B Grade. Environmentally there are many stretches of Bell Birds. Sweet! The vegetation is rain forest like. Gorgeous!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DruKerry/thumb_IMG_0299_1024_zpsxahacmnb.jpghttp://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DruKerry/thumb_IMG_0301_1024_zpse8jimnyg.jpg

Where: Daniels Point Road, Wattagans
Grade: B+ please note a risk of damage goes with a B+ grading.
When: Saturday 23rd July
Meet: 8:00 for 8:30
Meeting Point: To be confirmed, but somewhere local to the track - Wattagans or Wyong area

RQTs:
Well prepared vehicles for this. Mud tyres recommended, lockers are an advantage otherwise make sure you are familiar with your traction control system.
Required: Winch. It's likely to be needed in the bog holes at the bottom. At the exit of the bogs is little room for snatching. At least good AT tyres, MT preferred. 33" tyres. 2.5 inch lift required. Recovery equipment. Rock Rails.

Appropriate clothing - there will be mud.

Numbers: Limited to 6

1: Dru: Dru'n'Kerry, JK Ruby
2: Flatfender: Ian, classic. :emmersed:
3: tex088: Terry, TJ
4: Dieselcon: Jose, TJ Rampage
5: isherz: John and Di, JK
6:

Reserve:
guys, we have a 50/50, a waiting on work schedule and a maybe. Good chance for anyone on the reserve list.
1: aza mof: Aaran, JK
2: rupicon, Ro: JK
3: Mohawk: Nick, JK

Steve F
07-05-16, 08:38 PM
I'm keen but no winch, as it's a requirement happy to give it a miss as it's been years since I've driven that track so happy to bow to your judgement, that bog hole looks nasty :)

Cheers
Steve

Dru
08-05-16, 10:01 AM
For reference, this is Alloffroad (again) running DPR.

http://youtu.be/TXc7QahT8Hk

Flatfender
08-05-16, 11:23 AM
I am keen Dru - as long as short (80") wheelbase is not a problem.
On the plus side I do have winch, lockers and 33" MT's.
Ian W.

Dru
08-05-16, 03:15 PM
Glad to have you on board Ian! I realise that there is SWB (JK) and there is SWB (awesome classic!), but our shorty was fine. Articulation in the wombats is interesting, and the rock shelves are steeper in a shorty, but all good.

I'm locking you in before you change your mind!

isherz
09-05-16, 08:58 AM
Hi dru
Love to go.
Please add us on the reserve list. Pending a new bar and winch. Which is next on our list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dru
09-05-16, 01:04 PM
Trip notes.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Daniels%20Point%20Road%20map_zpsjnyxjfvs.jpg

tex088
09-05-16, 08:42 PM
Put me down please Dru, love this track

Dieselcon
09-05-16, 10:48 PM
Interested .. Can you put me as a 50% yes

stevet
10-05-16, 11:17 PM
Will say yes at this time..............I have another 5/6 weeks before that roster comes out.............

isherz
11-05-16, 03:26 PM
Hi Dru
If you don't mind please trf us up the list.I bought a winch today.

Mohawk
12-05-16, 06:54 AM
Hey, Awesome!

aza mof
14-05-16, 10:46 PM
Put me down if someone drops out

rupicon
29-05-16, 11:10 AM
Please put on the reserve list Dru some great spots up there

Mohawk
13-06-16, 10:10 AM
That reserve list is calling my name... Please add me, Dru

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dru
13-06-16, 10:45 AM
That reserve list is calling my name... Please add me, Dru

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reserve list updated.

Dru
04-07-16, 07:41 PM
Bad news, but we have some repair works that will keep us off the trails for long enough that we can not lead this trip. Ideally I'd like a volunteer to run it. We have Hema trails etc available and happy to talk it through.

Alternative is to put it on hold for another month.

sincere apologies.

Dru

stevet
05-07-16, 12:01 AM
I am out for the run.... Working and the jeep is off the road...........

aza mof
22-07-16, 09:06 PM
Well we are to late it has been confirmed that this trach has been closed by national parks and willdlife by 4x4 action on there Facebook

Steve F
22-07-16, 09:32 PM
Only gated at one end last I saw?

Cheers
Steve

Dru
22-07-16, 09:44 PM
Guys, keep calm. It was open both ends just recently. The whole area gets managed with closures that dont tend to be permanent. NPW cant simply permanently close trails. It has to be covered in their Plans of Management. I get that groups like 4x4 Action want to push this sort of thing... But lets see.

I'll test it before re-scheduling.

Steve F
22-07-16, 10:42 PM
Photos of a gate up at one end yesterday with a sign stating why it is closed. Not sure how legit the gate and sign are though.

Cheers
Steve

aza mof
23-07-16, 03:25 PM
Thay are fencing gateing a lot of bush in the cessnock area most of it is all crown land

Dru
23-07-16, 09:27 PM
There has always been a gate at the North end. If there is one form the powerlines entry it's new. aza, there is no problem with controlling access in the bush, crown land is no different. But there tends to be rules that work with responsible clubs.

I'll scream if you are right, but I'm not going to get myself knotted right now.

Dru

nitrobrent
24-07-16, 03:44 PM
Looks legit to me.
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/Jilliby-State-Conservation-Area/Local-alerts

Dru
24-07-16, 04:50 PM
Looks legit to me.
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/Jilliby-State-Conservation-Area/Local-alerts

Yes thats interesting. "Damaged roads and trails" where he track condition is exactly the way it has been for years. I'll contact them guys, thence the Association.