PDA

View Full Version : JK Exhaust

Peo
03-06-16, 10:56 AM
Hi All
I am thinking of upgrading the exhaust but wanted to get some opinions on brands and distributors. The aim is to get a bit more fuel economy but also the sound and aesthetics.

I was looking at something like the Dynomax but cant find it here in Aus and I cant justify the US shipping costs.

http://www.dynomax.com/single-2-5-cat-back-system-ultra-flo-welded-muffler-696.html

There's always Liverpool Exhausts but I am worried about the workmanship and quality of the system plus I don't want it too loud as it is the daily driver as well.

As you would expect the aim is to keep the price down as much as possible but not to the detriment of quality.

Any help with this is appreciated.
Piero

Steve F
03-06-16, 11:15 AM
I would look for something that doesn't have the huge muffler at the back, my eventual plan is to replace the exhaust as well and then cut out the small storage box at the rear under the floor and extend it down to accommodate my batteries (in there at the moment) but also on board air. Other than that I'm no help :( But am interested in what way you go.

Cheers
Steve

DanD
04-06-16, 10:01 AM
I got a low profile one put on with the exhaust tip finishing right near the chassis rail to avoid it getting squashed - I'll dig up some pics and post them up later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peo
04-06-16, 01:16 PM
I got a low profile one put on with the exhaust tip finishing right near the chassis rail to avoid it getting squashed - I'll dig up some pics and post them up later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be really handy.

DanD
04-06-16, 01:47 PM
I just wanted the big muffler reduced in size and said that to the blokes at the muffler shop - cost around $200 from memory to have it done and only took an hour (quiet morning at their shop) has a nicer tone to it than the standard exhaust and not too annoying

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/WhiteMeatVarmint/IMG_0571_zps6xekumnz.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/WhiteMeatVarmint/IMG_0573_zpsokdtpkwe.jpg

Peo
05-06-16, 10:45 AM
Dan, was that a cat back or axel back? $200 is cheap compared to what I have been seeing.

DanD
05-06-16, 12:33 PM
Dan, was that a cat back or axel back? $200 is cheap compared to what I have been seeing.

No idea to be honest, I just said that I wanted the big can at the back gone and replaced with a smaller one - its still all the original jeep plumbing throughout - all they did was take the old muffler off (and into the bin to go off to the scrap metal people) and put the new one at the back on with the exhaust angled how I wanted it - pretty sure that there is another muffler further up towards the front so may go back one day and discuss the effects of having that one removed

Peo
05-06-16, 01:57 PM
:excitement: so axle back then.
We'll financial controller has said I need to hold off on this one so will have to pick this one up in a few months.

DanD
05-06-16, 02:49 PM
:excitement: so axle back then.
We'll financial controller has said I need to hold off on this one so will have to pick this one up in a few months.

I'm ignorant of this cat back and axle back stuff - am assuming that cat back means that the only muffler is up closer to the engine whereas axel back means theres a (or another) muffler near the back axle? Or am I way off the mark?

dobbo56
05-06-16, 03:14 PM
Cat + catalytic converter, it is a little pot type muffler at the very front of the exhaust, i think one on each branch, these convert deadly gasses into not so deadly gasses, and smell like rotten egg gas until the car has warmed up, most sports type exhaust systems are "cat" back because the cats are VERY expensive to replace. No roadkill jokes please Dan..

DanD
05-06-16, 03:31 PM
Thanks Dave! Its one (of the many) areas that I haven't looked into :o

Didn't even think to make any roadkill jokes either lol

Elio S
10-06-16, 06:42 AM
Hi All
I am thinking of upgrading the exhaust but wanted to get some opinions on brands and distributors. The aim is to get a bit more fuel economy but also the sound and aesthetics.

I was looking at something like the Dynomax but cant find it here in Aus and I cant justify the US shipping costs.

http://www.dynomax.com/single-2-5-cat-back-system-ultra-flo-welded-muffler-696.html

There's always Liverpool Exhausts but I am worried about the workmanship and quality of the system plus I don't want it too loud as it is the daily driver as well.

As you would expect the aim is to keep the price down as much as possible but not to the detriment of quality.

Any help with this is appreciated.
Piero

Peo, I can vouch for Liverpool exhausts. I went there for the first time when I needed a muffler replaced on my TJ after years of using Precision Mufflers in Croydon, and admittedly they did a good job for a good price. The instruction I gave them was to put a hi flow muffler on which wasn't noisy, and it came back sounding very similar to stock. Think from memory it was about $100 for the muffler and I had it back in 15 minutes.

Peo
13-06-16, 11:33 PM
Peo, I can vouch for Liverpool exhausts. I went there for the first time when I needed a muffler replaced on my TJ after years of using Precision Mufflers in Croydon, and admittedly they did a good job for a good price. The instruction I gave them was to put a hi flow muffler on which wasn't noisy, and it came back sounding very similar to stock. Think from memory it was about $100 for the muffler and I had it back in 15 minutes.

Thanks Elio. The price they gave me when I called them was extremely low compared to others. For it to be that low I figure there has to be something wrong but everyone I have spoken to rates them highly.

I guess I'll have to be nice and maybe santa will put it in my stocking.