PDA

View Full Version : Watagans Reccie 25 June

Dru
21-06-16, 03:08 PM
Sorry for the late notice. We are continuing with our reccies through the Watagans. We don't know the track grades from first hand experience - it's a reccie - U tube investigation let's us target B Grade, expect it might vary into B+.

Target tracks will be CPT80 and/or Wave rock. If the weather is too poor for sensible reccie we will run through Cut Rock (which we now do know, definitely B Grade but quite short) and extend our investigations through the various C grade tracks in the area.

It will be a lazy start, 10:00am and an intended shortish trip, all things going to plan we will be airing up well inside daylight.

Where: Watagans
When: Saturday 25.6.16
Meet: Corner Jilliby Road and Watagan Forest Drive
This is at the start of the main track entry into the area, 5 mins from the Pacific hwy turn off to Wyong. We'll post a map later in the week.
Time: 10:00am
Grade: Reccie so the grade is unknown, but expect B Grade or B+

Requirements:
B Grade means there is a risk of damage so Jeeps need to be prepared. We always recommend 2" lift, off road tyres and rock rails with B Grade. Recovery points front and rear. Recovery gear, please. We are trying to avoid the obvious bog holes but it's the Watagans and you can expect mud. Good walking shoes are worthwhile in this area.

Notes:
We have found our forays into the Watagans very enjoyable with an interesting level of challenge. Plenty of C grade transit tracks, and the challenges are fun when you hunt them down. Bell birds everywhere and sections of temperate rain forest scatter through the place. Some tracks are overgrown and scratchy. We're not looking for those, they just seem to find us.

If things run sweetly, and people are up for it, we will return via Wiseman's Ferry taking the scenic C/D Grade journey back to Sydney rather than the bitumen.

Numbers: It's a late notice so we don't expect a huge group, may even end up solo!

1: Dru: Dru'n'Kerry, JK
2: Flatfender: Ian, classic
3: GT Pete
4:

Flatfender
21-06-16, 08:56 PM
Hi Dru - I'll put my hand up for a run on Saturday. Looks like it might be nice weather too!
Ian W. 0417 063 521

Flatfender
23-06-16, 07:51 PM
Are we still on for Saturday Dru?
Ian W.

Dru
23-06-16, 09:40 PM
Hey, Ian. Just confirming, yes Kerry and I are playing in the Watagans this Saturday. Hope to see you there!

Dru

GT-Pete
23-06-16, 11:15 PM
Just getting a panhard rod replaced tomorrow (part is in stock, just awaiting fitting).

As long as that all goes well, I'd be up for a wander on Saturday

Dru
24-06-16, 08:13 AM
See you there Pete.

GT-Pete
24-06-16, 06:28 PM
Perfect - looking forward to it!

If anyone wants to cruise up from Crows Nest with me - let me know.

uncaged123
24-06-16, 07:51 PM
Hi Dru, would have love to join you but have personal issues to attend to. Beside I'm not happy how my jku is going at present. Need to check the wheels after my last trip with you.

Have a good one Rob

Dru
25-06-16, 08:10 AM
Pete and Ian, cold morining! Ian hope you have plenty of woollies. We'll bevheading up at 8:00 so should be at the meet point closer to 9:30 than 10:00.

dru: 0419 855 121

Dru
25-06-16, 07:01 PM
Great day today. Think we sorted min recommendations on Cut Rock - 33"s lol. CPT80 is an entertaining intro to the Watagans, call it C+.

bit of damage, Pete with rear shaft (sheared the spline) and we broke a roll bar bracket and something haywire in the front end. Ian's Willy got through unscathed though!

Dru'n'Kerry

Flatfender
25-06-16, 08:43 PM
That was a great day out, great tracks, great company and great fun and even great weather although + another 10 degrees would have been better! Many thanks to Dru and Kerry for leading and I hope Pete got home OK in front wheel drive.

Ian W.

GT-Pete
28-06-16, 12:14 PM
Great day out guys, and made it home ok! Looks like the driveshaft upgrade will be fasttracked!

uncaged123
28-06-16, 05:12 PM
Hi Dru, was it similar to the trip at Capertree, or a little easier? Do you think that my jku would be able to handle it?

Cheers Rob

Ps: heading to Fraser with you guys. Where do you intend to stay on 27/12?

Dru
28-06-16, 05:37 PM
Rob, CPT80 is a fun track, C+, you would have a ball.

First time we did Cut Rock everything was fine, this time not so. You really dont have a load of line options and once on the rock you're on the rock. We did some damage this time that I'm not happy about.

I guess we will run cut rock again at some - it is a pretty cool section of rock, but damage is a definite risk.

we will at some point also be hunting for Wave Rock and a few others. There is plenty of play areas in Watagans and I think you'll love it.

Dru
29-06-16, 08:20 AM
Just a couple of quick pics from cut rock.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DruKerry/IMG_0324_zps51ijy5yr.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DruKerry/IMG_0329_zpsi4hyymnu.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DruKerry/IMG_0319_zpskygidqas.jpg

Dru
29-06-16, 12:14 PM
This is the Cut Rock itself. Inches only to either side of a jeep.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/cut%20rock%202_zpshmn7ztzt.jpg

Flatfender
04-07-16, 09:49 AM
Hi GT Pete - No Video???

Dru
04-08-16, 05:40 PM
Cold. I suspect Ian was chilly on the way home. :shame: