PDA

View Full Version : air lockers or E-lockers

snoik
21-06-16, 04:51 PM
I recently sold my 1997 TJ which had ARB air lockers front and rear and 4.88 diffs, have now purchased a 2010 JK, I was thinking about fitting lockers to it as I can't get anywhere near the places I could with the locked TJ.

I had no issues with the ARB air lockers, but was wondering if the E-locker would be better??

when I decide which way to go, will probably change the gear ratio as well, maybe 4.46 or 4.88, not sure what current ratio is but you need to ride the clutch just to take off, at 100k the tacho reads 1800-1900rpm in 5th gear, tyre size is 305/70/17.

any advice would be appreciated.

regards

Andrew

Dru
22-06-16, 08:16 AM
Cant help on a locker recommendation, but hopefully this link is a ratio chart. https://goo.gl/images/aFqbtJ

Our JK is a 2014 model, from recollection the Sport is 3.6, the Rubicon 4.1. We have upgraded (work by Hills 4x4) to 5.13 to go with 35"s. Overall the gearing is a touch higher, not so good highway, wonderful for crawling.

if you are working on the difs recomend you also upgrade: possibly a replacement would be easier, we used available kits to upgrade:
x installed inner sleaves (thickens the axle)
x installed outer seals (no more mud in the works grinding away)
x truss
x C gussets

Front axle is a weak point particularly between the pumpkin and LHS wheel.

TRBN8R
22-06-16, 09:04 AM
Hi Snook,

You r probably running 3.21 from your description of clutch slip..... 4.56 is probably best suited as it will let you do decent speed on highway without revving the engine crazy. As with lockers I reckon E Lockers are way better due to much less components. No compressors, air lines leaks etc to worry about. Just an electric solenoid to activate the locker.....

Cheers
Mani

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

snoik
22-06-16, 09:21 AM
thanks Dru,

did hill 4x4 supply and install all your upgrades.

Dru
22-06-16, 10:14 AM
Andrew, yeah they did. Harnessing some local trades to pull it all together. I'd check out the cost of D60 or aftermarket D40s to compare with upgrading.

I dont know what the advantage of air lockers is meant to be. Has to be something though. On the trails we have seen them fail or have pressure/leakage problems. So far the only problem we have seen with electric lockers is our own - branch hung up on the suspension ripped out the cable.

snoik
22-06-16, 10:35 AM
Thanks Dru,

I'll look into it, E-locker seems to be the go, although some reckon air lockers as you have a compressor which you can use for other things, but you could still mount a compressor for other uses than the lockers.

Steve F
22-06-16, 12:32 PM
Never had air lockers only auto lockers and now e-locker in the Rubicon. I really like the e-locker, minimal things to not work, quiet and quick to engage/disengage. For tyres I have a compressor larger than the typical ARB compressor and it airs up the tyres quickly. If I had to pick lockers I would go the e-locker.

Cheers
Steve

snoik
27-06-16, 10:40 AM
next question, YUKON or ALLOY USA gears for when I change the ratio??

Dieselcon
28-06-16, 08:59 PM
It's just pricing between the two

stevet
28-06-16, 10:31 PM
Yukon, made by Randy's ring & pinion.... 5 days delivery from order to door from the USA.....