PDA

View Full Version : 3.6 v6 penstar engine problem

jean05
04-09-16, 10:52 PM
Hi All

I am after a JK 5 door. From what I found on other pages, they had plenty of issues with cracked heads. I am planning on buying a new one but if worse comes to worse, I might need to look at a second hand one. Did any of you had this issue? If so, when did jeep fix it?

What else should I look at when buying one second hand?

Thanks

uncaged123
05-09-16, 02:47 AM
Hi Jean05, are you the same Jean I met up with in Orange mid last year? If so my jku has the 3.6 penstar motor and I've had no problem with it over the last 2 1/2 years since I brought it new. The only problem I have had was the clutch bearing collapsed a week after doing a "B" grade trip. Other than that it has been good.

If you're the same jean05 in Orange, I'll try to come up late October / early November and do that hill and the trail again with you.

Cheers RobS

Dru
05-09-16, 11:11 AM
Thought I had experienced most of the JK traps by now, but that's new to me.

Hunty discusses an oil guage fail that led to engine failure, as close as I can think of for head/engine problem.

without any order of precedence these are things I would look for in a second hand JK:
x universal joints in good order
x evaporator cannister OK, preferably protected (expensive fix and stuffs the computer)
x whines in the engine bay that indicate wonky electric bearings, belts, alternator etc.
x check the trip computer stuff does what its meant too
x aircon works
x obvious underbody shunts - I dont think evidence of use off road is an issue, but I'd want to know the maintenance and upkeep was matched with the use, more than service from somewhere with a Fiat badge on the front door and Jeep badge out the back
x retractable seat belts get sloppy
x on the Ruby, the sway bar disconnect servo goes and is an expensive fix
x wheel alignment - effects the computer if its out.
x hand brake adjustment - if its maintained by jeep this is likely to be rubbish. Its not a hard fix, just jeep service centres dont do it properly.
x clicking in the clutch in neutral - issue with the clutch plate that Jeep habitually refuse to accept
x if there is evidence of use, Id check that diff breathers are fitted, auto too if thats what you are looking at.

i'm sure there are others. Note that the JK is fundamentally aimed at the after mod market in the US. They produce an awesome package but do not over invest in components that may be replaced or dont need heavy duty for "mall crawling". In some ways a second unit just means that the typical issues have already been fixed!

Dru'n'Kerry

Steve F
05-09-16, 11:42 AM
There was a head problem on the early (2011 - 2013) 3.6 but was fixed under warranty if it came, in the US 7500 were recalled and the warranty extend to 10 years for the engine to cover the issue, I don't think we had the recall just fixed as required. Other than that Dru has covered it all.

Cheers
Steve

Dru
06-09-16, 09:05 AM
A discussion off line about the sway bar disconnect (Rubicon model) reminded me of something. Pushing a button on the dash is a matter of convenience (I like it), but the bar still binds a little and slightly holds back articulation even when disconnected. Mechanical disconnects are better. And cheaper. And a logical resolution to a failed servo disconnect.

Another item is the usual first transmission fail in a JK (after universal joints) is the front passenger side axle. I have no idea what you can do by inspection to check its OK but its a common fail point on JKs that frequently hit the rough.

jean05
09-09-16, 09:06 PM
Thanks you all. This will help a great deal. Yes Rob. Its me. I might not have a 4x4 by then. Will let you know when I do have one.