PDA

View Full Version : Tj camper trailer towing

Peterjeeptj
09-09-16, 11:53 PM
Hi im looking at buying at 80s style e.g jayco dove windup camper trailer tare weight approx 550-700kg...gvm 800-1000kg...

The tj has crappy tow capacity 450kg unbraked and 900kg braked by the time the trailer is fully loaded it would close to the rated 900kg im guessing.. does anyone have a tj and one of these style campers and do you have any problems? Im guessing the pulling part wouldnt be much of a problem cause of 4.0 litre 6 cylinder my worry is the braking due most of these come with mechanical braking systems( i know at a later date i could get electrical brakes)...

Cheers peter

stevet
10-09-16, 12:08 AM
Totally wrong in the last posting..900kg braked TJ tow capacity...... There some good posting on www.ausjeepoffroad.com about TJ capacities etc

Peterjeeptj
10-09-16, 07:11 AM
Totally wrong in the last posting..900kg braked TJ tow capacity...... There some good posting on www.ausjeepoffroad.com about TJ capacities etc

Yeh thats what im saying its only 900kg braked.... i have heard people getting new rear disc brakes taking out the drum brakes and getting a engineers certicate to increase the towing capacity up 1500kg.... but think it would easier just to sell the car and buy new one lol...my wifes little 2002 nissan pulsar has a higher tow capacity then a tj wrangler .....but her car cant go where my car can.....

Steve F
10-09-16, 12:02 PM
JK shorty (with disks on the rear etc) is still only 1000kg unless it is a pre update model which is 1600kg. I'd be surprised if upping the braking would increase the towing capacity.

Cheers
Steve

Heidi
14-09-16, 11:27 AM
we towed our old 1991 aussie swag camper and our newer adrenaline which is heavier. You can feel the weight in it when it is fully loaded - but we have towed both through the vic high country with the TJ.
Our TJ had a hard life and towed most weekends
Whats the down ball weight on the camper? I thought most of them are quite heavy