PDA

View Full Version : Trip 2 Wattagans C grade 29-10-16

Dru
15-10-16, 08:11 PM
Due to popular demand we will re-run the the Wattagans trip over a second Saturday. The original trip notes are here: http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?5220-Watagans-C-Grade-22-10-16

We can't avoid branches on this one. We do avoid the known overgrown tracks like "Borneo" (our name, I'm sure you can guess why). And we avoid all the bog hole "challenge" tracks. But you can't avoid mud at the Watagans. We remain completely comfortable that stock jeeps are completely comfortably fine for this trip.

Here is a novelty - Dru'n'Kerry doing a C grade! What is the world coming to!! It is a bit of a "what is where" tour of the Watagans with a focus on the day on easy cruising to pretty spots. We also cruise past some more challenging tracks. If you want to find out where they are, this trip may help!

General: Consider this an introduction to the main access routes through the 4WD playground north of Sydney. Kerry and I have been gradually adding interesting off-piste bits, so I hope it's fun for everyone.

Note, the wet weather and trail damage reported out west isn't replicated in this area. The main trails are graded but rarely, corrugations are not comfortable so you will want to air down. Update - if anything the bogs and puddles are as low as we have ever seen them. Great time to visit the Watagans.

Where: Wattagans

When: Saturday 29th October 2016

Meet: M1 Motorway services travelling North, just past Wyong. On Google it's called F3 Wyong North bound (Twin Servos). There is a Macca and a healthy fast food as well.

Time: 8:00 am for 8:30 departure. Please be fueled and fed.

Grade: C Grade - easy.

Generally graded trails. Most of the route on our Navigation tool shows speeds of 20 km/h. Not a lot of low range though we might add a couple of "off piste" alternates - just because we can. Generally the track conditions are similar to Black Fellows Hand Trail in Newnes.

The Watagans are famous for mud. Not much I can do about that but we are carefully avoiding all known bog hole challenges, I just can't guarantee you wont need to wash your Jeep afterwards. Likewise for overgrown scratchy bushes - we are avoiding all known scratchy tracks, just can't guarantee it. Wave Rock entry may have some small wet spots and some branches, still C grade and definitely worth it.

Requirements: Radio, food/drink of choice, camera. Full fuel tank. If you have recovery gear please pack it - no need to race out and purchase if you don't have any yet. Stock jeeps are fine. RE Radio - convoy communications are a must. We have a hand held UHF which we use for spotting which can be used, but we really need everyone on the club Channel. See what you can do to help us out.

This run is limited to: 10

Attending:

1. dru: Dru'n'Kerry: JK
2. isherz: John and Di; JK
3. Nev'nAnna: Nev and Anna; TJ
4. Qaanita: Qaanita, JK
5. RichHenning: Rich; JKU
6. BlueJKU: Dave; JKU
7. Andrigo Muller Wrangler
8. Daniel Djuracic; WK2 Grand Cherokee
9. crdsteve: Steve; JKU

Reserve list

Dru'n'Kerry

eclectism
15-10-16, 08:13 PM
Hi Dru. Can you put us down for this one and take us off reserves for first trip (22nd) please? 29th works better for us!

Cheers, Amy & Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isherz
15-10-16, 08:47 PM
Hi Dru
Di and I would like to join you please add us. Thank you for the 29th. John

eclectism
15-10-16, 08:51 PM
Seems my phone is sending double posts - apologies

Nev'nAnna
16-10-16, 09:46 AM
Hi Dru per SMS I sent you yesterday, my wife Anna and I are newbies who met a few guys Brian, Sam Jolly and ??? from SJC at the 4WD show yesterday. We have a TJ with 31's, 2" lift, no snatch strap or UHF radio at this stage but would love to join you on the 2nd run (29 October). Cheers, Neville

Dru
16-10-16, 04:15 PM
OK trip notes updated.

@Ben - all good and updated, it'll be good to catch up out on the tracks again.
@John - done! We'll make sure we point out the C+ and B grade stuff that we pass. You could get some good info to plug in to your nav tool on this trip.
@Kevin - done! You really do need a radio though. We will have a spare hand held, but if you get a chance you should ideally pick up a hand held of your own. Convoy communications are a must - BUT we WILL have a spare. You are OK without snatch etc on this C grade. There is always a remote chance that some "help" might be required but we have gear that can be put to the task.

Steve x
16-10-16, 06:38 PM
Hi Dru,
Yes, confirming Steve and Lisa for this one (as per No.5 on current list), please

Dru
16-10-16, 07:08 PM
Thanks Steve and Lisa!

Qaanita
16-10-16, 07:45 PM
Yes please! Count me in for the 29th thank you :)

stevet
16-10-16, 10:01 PM
Dru/Kerry,
Please add me to the run...May not be back on the road by then but fingers crossed... Will advise you as soon as I can...........

Dru
16-10-16, 10:08 PM
@Qaanita, all done.
@Steve, it'd be great if you can make. All the best.

:encouragement:

Nev'nAnna
18-10-16, 07:40 PM
Hi Dru

I tried to post this message in a reply above but seems it did not work due to me being new and lack of privileges and I included a URL about the UHF radio.

Seems you've got my name wrong in the "Attending" list above, its Nev and Anna (not Kev) and we drive a TJ not a JK. Ok, I'll see if we can buy a hand held UHF before the trip but im really not sure what to buy. Is a $100 Uniden from Oficeworks or like going to suit the purpose? Any UHF tips would be appreciated!

Dru
18-10-16, 09:18 PM
Hi Nev, Any hand held is fine. We had one if the Unidens before and it works well. The only problem is it isn't very robust and didn't last long. Our current handheld is a GME TX6150. It was recommended to us, and so far it has proven robust and reliable, bit more expensive though. Look forward to meeting you. Kerry

BlueJKU
19-10-16, 05:33 PM
Hi I'd like to put myself down for this run too please.

Dru
19-10-16, 07:12 PM
Its done Dave.

uncaged123
21-10-16, 02:59 PM
Hi Dru, could you please move me from tomorrow to this trip please. Hopefully my arm would have healed by then.

Cheers RobS

Dru
21-10-16, 05:22 PM
Hi Dru, could you please move me from tomorrow to this trip please. Hopefully my arm would have healed by then.

Cheers RobS

Done Rob. All the best with the arm.

Dru

uncaged123
21-10-16, 06:15 PM
Thanks Dru, hopefuly another week if all goes well regarding no cracked bones, I should be fine for it. Thanks heaps.
Rob

Steve x
25-10-16, 10:28 PM
HI Dru,

Sorry, but my jeep won't be ready this week for 29th October, so would you please withdraw us from the list (at No. 5) for this one. Thanks.
Steve and Lisa.

Dru
25-10-16, 11:25 PM
HI Dru,

Sorry, but my jeep won't be ready this week for 29th October, so would you please withdraw us from the list (at No. 5) for this one. Thanks.
Steve and Lisa.

Thanks Steve

Heidi
27-10-16, 09:23 AM
Dru I have added Andrigo Muller to the list - contacted via Facebook club page

Dru
27-10-16, 10:43 AM
Dru I have added Andrigo Muller to the list - contacted via Facebook club page

Received a text from Andrigo as well.

Dru
27-10-16, 11:01 AM
So, to be consistent with the "Trip Leader Thread" these are the current pre-trip checks:

Fire - out of control fire in Cooranbong - vehicle fire of nil Ha so imagine not a bush fire. Will double check before we leave but seems a non issue.

National Parks closures: there are a number in the area (Watagans National Park and Jilliby State Conservation Area), fortunately we avoid them, and for that matter 99% of the trip is in Olney State Forest rather than the National Park

State Forest closures: embarrassed to admit the kerry and i found the collapsed bridge on Watagans Creek Rd before we read the Forestry advice! From our own reccies, we also know that the bridge on Old Mill Road is down - forestry havent caught up with this yet as it happened recently.

From MetEye the weather looks quite ideal. Reasonable chance of light rain that will simply dampen the dust, winds light beforehand and throughout the day.

Will check the radar and fire before leaving on Saturday morning.

Dru
27-10-16, 12:29 PM
Also Daniel Djuracic on board.

List is now complete. :joyous:

Dru'n'Kerry

eclectism
27-10-16, 08:53 PM
Hi Dru. Regrettably Amy and I won't be able to join this trip. We're in the process of moving house and just can't find the time to get out on the tracks. Hopefully we'll meet up with everyone soon :)

Dru
28-10-16, 12:04 PM
Text received from cdrsteve - Steve another potential new member from the 4WD expo. Welcome Steve! List updated.

Dru'n'Kerry

Dru
28-10-16, 12:16 PM
One final note: BOM - MetEye has firmed up rain predictions. We can expect rain but only 0 to 4mm. Just enough to dampen the dust. :encouragement:

That fire warning has cleared as well.

Dru'n'Kerry

stevet
28-10-16, 03:37 PM
Have to pull out of this run Dru.... The TJ is not back on the road yet...... Anyone need/want a jockey??..... Next run......
Stephen T.

uncaged123
28-10-16, 09:25 PM
Hi Dru, sorry I have to pull out off this trip too. Arm is mending well but I've come down with a flu like virus which has drained my energy. I'll catch up with you on the trail soon if we can eliminate my companion stomach issues.

Cheers RobS

Dru
29-10-16, 06:44 AM
Rain and wind situation is all good. The Watagans have had 1mm (sic) of rain since 9:00 yesterday. Reasonable chance of slight rain rain today (0 to 5mm).

See you all at the twin servo.

Dru'n'Kerry

Dru
29-10-16, 09:22 PM
Our esteemed trip leader. (2 weeks running!)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/jB6rPI.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmjB6rPIj)

Convoy at Burma Road

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/921/RnMgO3.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plRnMgO3j)

Viewpoint at Burma!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/921/TV4cL0.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plTV4cL0j)

Thanks everyone for a great day. Fabulous crew. Special thanks to our much demanded TEC - Richard Henning - cheers bloke!

Dru'n'Kerry

Dru
29-10-16, 09:34 PM
And here's the happy crew!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/xHnEWR.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmxHnEWRj)

richhenning
29-10-16, 10:50 PM
It was a pleasure Dru and Kerry, thank you for the shout out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

richhenning
29-10-16, 10:52 PM
It was indeed a good day with awesome people, nice tracks, great weather and Jeeps!

Big thanks to Dru and Kerry for arranging and leading.

Here's a Dropbox link with some pieces from the day.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/es7f4lncci89i0k/AAAKGc1SCrMKXDmCCohBuAG1a

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlueJKU
30-10-16, 12:55 PM
Had a great day yesterday, thank you to Dru and Kerry for all your help and for running things so well.

Qaanita
30-10-16, 02:43 PM
Hi All,
Just wanted to say that was the best intro to 4wd i could have ever imagined. So much fun! And so much mud to show for it haha..
Thanks so much Dru and Kerry for the trip!
I think im addicted. :eek-new:

Qaanita

Dru
30-10-16, 05:30 PM
We are slowly adding to the list of wildlife we have seen in the Watagans/Olney/Jilliby area. Yesterday we added:

Red Bellied Black Snake - positive ID, big bugger, thick and at least 5' long. Aparantly the males are very avtive this time of year - on the prowl for mates.

What we were reporting as wallabies were actually Red-necked Pademelon. Never headr of a pademelon? Us either! So if a wallaby is a small kind of kangaroo, the Pademelon is an even smaller kind of Kangaroo.

The Lyre Birds are the Superb Lyrbird.

list is growing.

Dru'n'Kerry

isherz
30-10-16, 06:17 PM
Thanks again to Dru and Kerry always up for leading trips at all levels...
You left out the echidna...?
Weather was fab no rain at all!

Dru
30-10-16, 08:27 PM
We put a short vid on the echidna on the Face Book site. Couldnt get it to work here. The forum requires third party sites in order to put up images. Imageshack wont do video, and photobucket kept treating the echidna like ilicit images. I refuse to look for a third. Enough is enough already. :grey:

Cute little thing though.

isherz
31-10-16, 03:54 AM
We put a short vid on the echidna on the Face Book site. Couldnt get it to work here. The forum requires third party sites in order to put up images. Imageshack wont do video, and photobucket kept treating the echidna like ilicit images. I refuse to look for a third. Enough is enough already. :grey:

Cute little thing though.

Very :0)!