PDA

View Full Version : Killie Loop B Grade 1.4.17

Dru
28-02-17, 12:41 PM
Trip confirmed to proceed - We would appreciate confirmation of who is attending. Confirmations updated below.

I can't help the date, but no, this is not a wind up. Who is up for a B Grade run on April Fool's Day?

Where: Killie Loop

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/SJC/Loop%20dip_zps64rx4qck.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/SJC/Loop%20dip_zps64rx4qck.jpg.html)

The Killie loop starts from behind the little town of Killingworth on the way north behind Newcastle. It is only a short hour-ish drive from the city to the meet up point. And maybe a further 20-30 mins up the highway after that.

This is a fun, blast of a track. Mud. Rock crawling. Wombat holes. Climbs. Technical sections. We'll all need some spotting. It's got a bit of everything.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/SJC/Loop%20Climb_zpscrnuermn.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/SJC/Loop%20Climb_zpscrnuermn.jpg.html)

On our first trip here, with plenty of non-jeeps, we had recoveries starting from well before we were actually on the loop. And then I got stuck in the most innocuous bit of mud. :hopelessness:

The second time with Nick - who I willingly led astray - both of us seriously needed winching. Nothing innocuous about the mud that time. Though you would have to be pretty silly to take that particular line. :smile-new: What can I say, there are (mostly) options.

When: Saturday 1st April

Meet: M1 Motorway services travelling North, just past Wyong. On Google it's called F3 Wyong North bound (Twin Servos). There is a Macca's and a healthy fast food as well.

Time: 8:30 am for 9:00 departure. Please be fueled and fed.

Grade: B

Requirements: No mag wheels. Rock Rails are required. Rated recovery points front and rear are mandatory. First Aid, sunburn cream, insect repellent, water, snacks, lunch etc. Sense of fun. I'm happy after that to recognise that a stock wrangler will do this track (risk is yours), BUT you're going to scrape and may need to be skull-dragged, so - Recommended: 2" lift, MT/AT tyres. This is definitely a trail for testing your new mods and improved articulation.

EDIT on recommendations: you can choose to avoid most, but not all bogs. Diffs will get submerged unless we have an unusual dry spell. So diff' breathers are advised.

For what's it's worth, A grade trucks can still find testing lines on the loop.

No alcohol please. Killingworth has a pub on the way out if you are interested.

This run is limited to: 8 including leader

Attending:

1. Dru: Dru'n'Kerry; JK
2. isherz: John and Di; JK
3. SteveT: Steve Taylor; TJ
4. gp: John Clark; TJ
5. aza mof: Aaron; TJ

Reserve List:

isherz
28-02-17, 01:29 PM
Aha something new for us....put us down please Dru April fools will prove interesting....! Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevet
28-02-17, 04:54 PM
Yes please.... Depending on my roster when it comes out..... A good way to celebrate ones birthday!!!!!!.....

Dru
28-02-17, 05:11 PM
Yes please.... Depending on my roster when it comes out..... A good way to celebrate ones birthday!!!!!!.....

:hororr: The jokes your poor mother must have had to deal with.:highly_amused:

stevet
28-02-17, 06:56 PM
:hororr: The jokes your poor mother must have had to deal with.:highly_amused:
Yeah, whatever............... Heard it all before....

Rocket55
28-02-17, 07:03 PM
Sign me up at this stage please Dru.

Teshie
28-02-17, 08:52 PM
Hi Dru - please add me as a maybe if that is Ok. Thanks.

Jeep11
28-02-17, 08:59 PM
Please add Steve C to the list thank you

gp
28-02-17, 09:44 PM
Dru please put me down for this trip, thanks.

Mohawk
28-02-17, 11:32 PM
Hey Dru,

I'd love to tackle this track again, but we're leaving for a much bigger loop on April 5th and I think we'll need the time to prepare.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170228/f895df2416a35d8a1980a19a43adc4d0.jpg

See everyone at the club meeting tomorrow.

Cheers,
Nick

Dru
01-03-17, 08:55 AM
:excitement:
Hey Dru,

I'd love to tackle this track again, but we're leaving for a much bigger loop on April 5th and I think we'll need the time to prepare.

See everyone at the club meeting tomorrow.

Cheers,
Nick

Pfft, we're right on your way. OK, like most of the rest of Australia, but right on your way.

uncaged123
05-03-17, 01:43 PM
Yeah, would love to give it a go as I've haven't been out 4wding for a long time. However I'll be doing the Great Ocean Road through Mt Gambier to Adelaide then returning to Sydney via Grampians National Park. Have a great day and hopefully catch you up in the near future.

Cheers Rob

aza mof
05-03-17, 07:23 PM
Hi
Put me down for this
We did it a couple of weeks ago was a good drive

Rocket55
05-03-17, 08:25 PM
Sorry Dru, I have to pull out of this one :-(

You guys will will have a blast on this trip, it's a great track.

Dru
07-03-17, 03:32 PM
Sorry Dru, I have to pull out of this one :-(

You guys will will have a blast on this trip, it's a great track.

Rod, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Pity you cant make, you'll be missed.

Dru
07-03-17, 03:37 PM
Yeah, would love to give it a go as I've haven't been out 4wding for a long time. However I'll be doing the Great Ocean Road through Mt Gambier to Adelaide then returning to Sydney via Grampians National Park. Have a great day and hopefully catch you up in the near future.

Cheers Rob

Bloke, you honestly need to get out on the trails. Its been too long. Give me a day, and the world is your oyster. The trails are saying "just do it!" Trails are getting lonely Rob, they need your presence. :shame:

Rocket55
07-03-17, 09:44 PM
Rod, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Pity you cant make, you'll be missed.

Haha, thanks for the birthday wishes!!

Shame I can't get there this time.

Dieselcon
15-03-17, 02:15 PM
This looks like a great track ... Maybe one day... hopefully sooner than later.. Have fun

Dru
21-03-17, 04:16 PM
Just giving this thread a bump - still room for more. :smile-new:

Rocket55
21-03-17, 09:21 PM
This weather will add to the fun factor :eagerness:

aza mof
29-03-17, 06:37 PM
Well it looks like up here in newcastle we are going to get 40mm so wether.com.au say tomorrow so fresh full wet track for satday

Teshie
29-03-17, 06:53 PM
Sorry Dru - I have to pull out of this trip, many apologies for not making it. Catch you all next time. Thanks.

isherz
30-03-17, 08:52 AM
Well it looks like up here in newcastle we are going to get 40mm so wether.com.au say tomorrow so fresh full wet track for satday

It's going to be a messy slippery one....can't wait!

Dru
30-03-17, 01:56 PM
OK guys:

The Met/BOM has all kinds of severe weather warnings out right now, all the way down to Sydney and specific to the Killingworth area. BUT MetEye (local weather predictor at the BOM) is showing Saturday in Killingworth as low winds, 60% chance of rain but only 0-1mm.

Here is the BOM link: http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/
[Type in "Killingworth" in the location, choose the Killingworth NSW option. Then at the top change the date by clicking on Saturday.]

So we are on weather alert - but not (yet) cancelled. I'll make a call lunch time on Friday as to whether I think that Kerry and I are still cool. Then we will take a roll call.

Think about it though! I will do what I can as Trip Leader, and think about the right thing by the Club, but you are all responsible for your own safety and need to make your own call. If we proceed you need to be ready to walk the creek and bogs etc. There will be plenty of mud. It wont be a trip for passengers wanting to stay inside the cabin. The worse it is, the more we need to walk it. You will get <ahem> dirty.

The trip will be postponed if there are Saturday weather/wind/storm warnings.

Roll call tomorrow!

aza mof
30-03-17, 10:41 PM
It's only been light rain most ov the afternoon some times hevey but not for long term
No where nere the amount that was prodicted unless it falls tonight
I did the loop a couple of weeks ago and was pretty dry
Other than one big hole That did not look that deep

Dru
31-03-17, 08:48 AM
Kerry and I are keen to go!

Thanks to Aaron (aza mof) for the local knowledge.

Saturday weather forecast has actually gotten (slightly)better and the bad weather is clearing (slightly) quicker than originally forecast. We are now 50% chance of rain at 0-0.4mm. And light winds.

We recommendbringing rain coat/jacket, towel, spare clothes etc. If you have branch clearing gear, bring it if you have space.

We would appreciate confirmation from everyone who will be attending. (I will update the front sheet.) See you all on Saturday.

Dru'n'Kerry

PS we can expect that on Saturday, the loop is no longer on the "softer" side of B grade. :highly_amused: :hypnotysed: :highly_amused:

Jeep11
31-03-17, 07:07 PM
Hey Dru, I will be withdrawing from this trip, sorry for the late notice
Steve an Hayley

stevet
31-03-17, 08:09 PM
See you at the meeting point in the morning.... Looking forward to the run....

gp
31-03-17, 08:37 PM
I intend to go if on, will see you at the twin servo's
regards John Clark

Dru
31-03-17, 08:47 PM
See everyone tomorrow.

Dru

isherz
31-03-17, 09:41 PM
We r in
Sorry for late reply
Works been busy see you tomorrow
John n Di

aza mof
31-03-17, 09:46 PM
I will be there

Dru
01-04-17, 06:47 AM
Final weather report Sat morning - all as predicted. Rain with sunny spells. Rain is low probability and nominal (0 to 0.4mm) if there is any. Light wind. No thunderstorms predicted, nor on radar.

see you all at the meet up point at the F3 services.

Dru'n'Kerry

aza mof
01-04-17, 03:21 PM
Made it out
Plenty of good areas to play in on that trail as well

Rocket55
01-04-17, 06:21 PM
Pics or t didn't happen :smile-new:

Dru
01-04-17, 09:01 PM
Lost one CA, electrics we think in another, and a clutch. All safe and back on bitumen. :encouragement:
(Though two with a slow trip back to Sydney with NRMA.)

The main down side being that the Killingworth pub is closed. For, hmm 40 years apparently. Settling down to rugby and beer right now.

pics tomorrow.

Dru
02-04-17, 03:02 PM
I'm giving up attempting to put up vids here, just too complex and we are having internet problems (bloody NBN).

I have managed to load the only three stills we took.

Anyway, it was a glorious day, full of sunshine. The Triple Diamond club was also out on the trail, though I suspect they may not have taken the lines that this adventurous bunch of jeepers did!

At the half way point Aaron somehow had a CA come apart, stripped the thread at the adjustment and pulled out. Re-built on the trail but not confident it wouldnt pull out again, so cut out on the halfway exit road.

Track was somewhat washed out, though most bogs were not as deep as usual. Most not all! With the washing out and the deeper bogs I cant call the trail "softer side" of B grade anymore.

Di did walk the creek which was appreciated by all.

The four vehicles who were left all managed to get stranded in deeper bogs. Starting with me.

Trip out: I was towing Steve T; John Clark was towing John and Di.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DruKerry/IMG_0689_zps1cxk6fvy.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/DruKerry/media/IMG_0689_zps1cxk6fvy.jpg.html)

Safelyback on bitumen

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DruKerry/IMG_0690_zpsaqhfg3ch.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/DruKerry/media/IMG_0690_zpsaqhfg3ch.jpg.html)

This is the bog that did all the damage. John got snatched out fine, but both John and Di, and Steve and Maria had their jeeps go terminal in the bog. Electrics to Steve, Clutch or gears with John and Di.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DruKerry/IMG_0685_zpsnhj0y3fg.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/DruKerry/media/IMG_0685_zpsnhj0y3fg.jpg.html)

At any rate, sense of humour lasted throughout even through a pretty tough towing expedition on a B grade track.

Funny I was speaking to Heidi just recently about "when you will play, you will pay!" And it was one of those kind of days.

hopefully some of the others can put some pics up, it really is a fun track that will test a jeep!

stevet
03-04-17, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the day Dru & Kerry... Home on the back of a towie.... My young fella took 5 minutes find the problem then 10 minutes to replace a cracked battery terminal and so I was back running again..... Now to clean out the TJ.... Lol... Thanks again everyone for a good and interesting day..............

Dru
03-04-17, 05:06 PM
Glad to see you motoring again!

aza mof
03-04-17, 09:08 PM
Thanks for letting us tag a long will have new arms on way by the end of the week pulled them out tonight and both thread's are damaged
I look forward to the next trip ether up newy way or down there