PDA

View Full Version : Capertee Weekend C Grade

Dru
05-04-17, 09:53 AM
EDIT: We have to postpone for now. Will update once a revised date can be set.

Capertee has much more than just the famous Genowlan Point Track (Mount Airlie). Kerry and I have not yet seen the Airlie Village ruins or the tram way track. And we haven't walked the grotto either. So it's time to settle into a weekend of exploration - C Grade style. 4WD access with a bit of walking and then 4WD home.

It's all part of the SCA (State Conservation Area) that is Mugii Murum-ban, and new rules are being developed regarding access. So we will walk the system with the 4WD Association of NSW and ACT in terms of what needs to be done for access. This is likely to include:
x vehicle registrationx record of people attending
x checking on conflicts with other trips (we would need to re-schedule if needed)
x trip/track report back to the Association and Parks after.

To finish the C grade weekend, I think a return to Sydney via Turon would polish things off nicely.

Where: Capertee

Details: Something like:
Sat am: Set up camp at the Mount Airlie camping area. Views to the famous Mt Airlie and Genowlan point track, as well as over the Capertee Valley.
Sat lunch/pm: Visit Tramway track and Mt Airlie Village. Max 6 vehicles on tramway.
Sun am: pack up, head back to Sydney via Turon River and exit at Sunny Corner.

When: Sat/Sun 6 and 7 of May 2017. Postponed - date to be reset.

Meet: in Lithgow - Bowenfelds Service Station

Time: Saturday 8:30 for 9:00

Grade: C Grade

Requirements: First Aid; Sun cream; warm clothes (can be cool); recovery points front and rear (just in case); radio; food/drink; camping set up; camera; rubbish bags - pack it in, pack it out.

Stock jeeps should be fine for this trip - but please know where your recovery points are. Pack recovery gear if you have it.

Note: there are no toilets, so spade etc to be packed.

Trip numbers: From experience we wont get big numbers for an early winter camping weekend, but let's say 8 including leader. Note however that only 6 vehicles will be able to run Tramway track. Maybe we can double up people into spare seats.

Attending:

Please include registration number.

1. dru: Dru'n'Kerry - CSW 35L
2. StewartV; Stewart - CJN 15A
3. Nash - AKO 812
4. Adrian
5. Sat only: Qaanita - DBA 79D

StewartV
05-04-17, 10:01 AM
Hi Dru. Count me in please. Stewart CJN-15A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dru
05-04-17, 10:07 AM
Airlie Village ruins

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Airlie%20village_zpsvmrrutic.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/Airlie%20village_zpsvmrrutic.jpg.html)

View from Mount Airlie (looking at Genowlan Point).
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/DruPics/Airlie25_zpsyiqiq56r.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/DruPics/media/Airlie25_zpsyiqiq56r.jpg.html)

darksidecustoms
05-04-17, 08:52 PM
Put me down. Cheers
Nash

darksidecustoms
05-04-17, 09:37 PM
Put Adrian B down too please!

Dru
05-04-17, 11:44 PM
Hey Nash, vehicle registration numbers please.

and all good for two vehicles! :shame:

Dru
05-04-17, 11:48 PM
Questions tonight whether people can just do one day. Yes of course it's possible. Both days basically start on the bitumen at Capertee.

Naturally we would prefer a group camping and there are limited numbers on the Tram Way trail. Tram Way trail could be done both days of course. Lets get everyone with interest on the list, and work it out from there.

SeanC
06-04-17, 12:38 AM
Hi Dru,

Please count us in. Rego: MUD15H

By the way, do you know if we can bring our camper trailer there?

Regards,
Sean and Daphne

Dru
06-04-17, 08:02 AM
Hi Dru,

Please count us in. Rego: MUD15H

By the way, do you know if we can bring our camper trailer there?

Regards,
Sean and Daphne

We've had 4wd camper trailers on Mt Airlie diamond mine area before. No good for street caravans. Also Turon to Sunny corner should be fine.

Qaanita
06-04-17, 08:29 AM
Hi Dru, keen for the Saturday then will drop out at some point if thats okay
Rego - DBA 79D
Thank you!

Dru
06-04-17, 11:10 AM
Qaanita, have you on the list. PS @ Sean and Daphne, we are thinking of joining the lazy trailer set for this trip too.

darksidecustoms
06-04-17, 01:59 PM
Hey Nash, vehicle registration numbers please.

and all good for two vehicles! :shame:

AK0812 for me
Don't have Adrian's off hand

AJ96XJ
06-04-17, 06:16 PM
Please put me down as a maybe, as i still need to do some TLC on the XJ, but should be ready by then.
My rego is DDV66Q

Dru
06-04-17, 08:23 PM
Please put me down as a maybe, as i still need to do some TLC on the XJ, but should be ready by then.
My rego is DDV66Q

Sorry friend. There is no " maybe" list. We need to register with third parties. Dial back in when you get past your hump.

I will be pretty flexible around numbers here.

Dru

SeanC
07-04-17, 12:02 PM
Qaanita, have you on the list. PS @ Sean and Daphne, we are thinking of joining the lazy trailer set for this trip too.

Sounds good Dru, looking forward to it.

darksidecustoms
11-04-17, 11:27 PM
Don't have Adrian's off hand

BBB 06R

Mine is a AK 0812 by the way (number 0, not the letter o). For now, plates changing soon but unlikely prior to the trip.

darksidecustoms
13-04-17, 09:54 AM
Please also put down Ben & Amy - rego currently CE46NJ but may change to ACT rego between now and then (traitors) lol

Dru
13-04-17, 03:10 PM
Really sad to do this, but we unfortunately need to postpone leading this trip. Sorry guys.

Engine malfunction on our JK turns out to be a stretched timing chain. Which could take a little time to get resolved via warranty etc. I will keep this thread rolling and simply update dates when I am able to confirm.

Sorry guys!

darksidecustoms
13-04-17, 07:37 PM
All good mate, let us know when it's back on deck

StewartV
17-04-17, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hear that Dru. No problem though. Hope it all gets resolved. What were the symptoms by the way?

Dru
17-04-17, 01:56 PM
Engine malfunction light on. Then "limp home mode". Needed a mechanic to download the codes and interpret.

StewartV
19-04-17, 09:40 AM
Thanks. I've had a little niggling problem with mine that no-one seems to be able to identify. Not the same as yours so that's one less option I guess!

Alva
23-04-17, 09:43 PM
Hello, when it gets rescheduled count my in. Blue Tj 2006

Dru
20-05-17, 02:28 PM
OK guys, we e ack in action. We are open to thoughts on dates for his delayed trip.

Dru'n'Kerry

SeanC
21-05-17, 12:20 AM
OK guys, we e ack in action. We are open to thoughts on dates for his delayed trip.

Dru'n'Kerry

How about the June long weekend, would give us an extra day on the tracks if we like.

Dru
29-05-17, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the input Sean and sorry for belated response. I think we'll wait for the next meeting to test interest. Which probably means to quick to get up for the long weekend.

Working on it.

Dru

Mohawk
01-06-17, 10:03 AM
We're now back from our trip and want to get out with the club again soon, but have to sort our suspension first.

For the first bit of the trip we were packed heavily enough that we would bottom out frequently when going more than 85km/h, or in towns going over speed bumps and potholes... so we had the rear suspension changed to a setup suited to the rear of a JKU +200Kg with a 2.5" lift. It was perfect at the time, however it's now pretty darn stiff.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Wednesday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dru
29-06-17, 08:56 AM
A quick update for the curious - I have had some big changes in my comittments which means finding a time slot for a full weekend with camping is difficult for a bit. Which means we are back to day trips for a few months.

This trip will happen, but not till closer to the end of the Year. I'll post a new thread at the appropriate time.

Sorry for the delay.

Dru