PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Mountains 1 to 7 January 2018

Dave
02-08-17, 11:13 PM
Several people have asked if I was planning any touring in January 2018. Several more people have asked about D/C grade trips that stock vehicles (with 4WD) could handle.

So I thought about it, and here it is, 7 days and about 1500km Sydney to Sydney, combining the best bits of the Snowy trip we did in 2014 and some of the Victoria trip from 2016. For those who noticed the lack of wildlife in Victoria, this trip will take us to places where I have seen (but can't promise...) brumbies, kangaroos, emus, and where we heard wild dogs howling at night at Blue Waterholes in 2014. Lots of stunning scenery! It's a short trip as after Cape York I wasn't really planning one that was too long, and it sounds like a lot of people have to be back at work on Monday 8 Jan as well.

People with very capable Jeeps could consider towing a camper trailer - very steep and low range going up onto Davies High Plain. But there is nothing on this trip that a stock Jeep with low range could not handle if not towing (unless it rains). I scraped the bash plates on my KJ a bit on that climb. C grade unless wet! (If it is wet, or there are bushfires, we will have to change the route or cancel)

Itinerary

Monday 1 Jan - Sydney to Talbingo 453km all on tar.

Tuesday 2 Jan - Talbingo to Khancoban via Buddong Falls and Mt Black Jack 129km.

Wednesday 3 Jan - Khancoban to Tom Groggin including Mt Pinnabar 127km.

Thursday 4 Jan - Tom Groggin to Native Dog Flat Campground via Davies High Plain 85km.

Friday 5 Jan - Native Dog Flat to Berridale via Suggan Buggan, the Snowy River and Jindabyne Total for day 166km. If you aren't keen on heights, you are going to love Black Mountain!

NO Fuel between Khancoban and Jindabyne - 3 days and 350km - with some steep climbs and Low Range 4WD. You will need to carry enough fuel - 100 litres? More if towing?

Saturday 6 Jan - Berridale to Blue Waterholes via Adaminaby, Yarrangobilly Caves and Long Plain Track 143km

Sunday 7 Jan - Blue Waterholes to Sydney via Broken Cart Fire Trail, Brindabella and Canberra 415km

TOTAL DISTANCE - 1518km

Although - If you don't need to be back in Sydney on Monday 8th, we could extend the trip a couple of days. Instead of heading straight back to Sydney from Canberra, we could go South East to Bendethra Valley in Deua National Park. I have heard lots of people say nice things about this place and this would be a great opportunity to see it, then get home Tuesday / Wednesday-ish.

Please Consider! To go we need AT LEAST 3 vehicles. Maximum number would be 8 to 10. Please post below if you would like to come, or if you are thinking about it. I will generate a Definites and a Maybes list. If you didn't get an Itinerary at the meeting and would like a PDF version, please PM me with your email address.

Definites
1. Dave
2. Sean & Daf
3. Hitesh & family (4 all up)
4. John & Di
5. KevinF (My14JK)
6. Ben & Amy & Nash
7. SteveT - will do the add on to Bendethra too.
8. JohnC
9. Danny
10. Ali

Dave

isherz
02-08-17, 11:31 PM
Maybe John n Di...will confirm within the week with Johns new job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave
02-08-17, 11:32 PM
Maybe John n Di...will confirm within the week with Johns new job!

That was quick! I have emailed the itinerary :)

isherz
02-08-17, 11:33 PM
[emoji106][emoji228]

SeanC
02-08-17, 11:57 PM
Hi Dave,

Please put us down for the trip.

We weren't able to make the meeting tonight. Can you please email us the itinerary? I will PM you.

Cheers,
Sean and Daf

Dave
03-08-17, 01:39 AM
Hi Dave,

Please put us down for the trip.

We weren't able to make the meeting tonight. Can you please email us the itinerary? I will PM you.

Cheers,
Sean and Daf

Done and done!

Hitesh
03-08-17, 01:00 PM
Hi Dave - put us down. Thanks

Dave
03-08-17, 01:54 PM
Hi Dave - put us down. Thanks

Done. Thanks Hitesh!

If you are thinking about fuel carrying options, I had forgotten this option : http://www.jeepkonection.com.au/AEVJKFuelCaddyBlackAEVAEV10305031AB

Dennis and Kevin both have these, and thanks to Wayne for reminding me!

Dave

JKjessie
03-08-17, 04:40 PM
Can you put me down on the maybe list? I'd love to tag along but am waiting to hear about a job and not sure if I'll be able to get the time off. I'll PM you, can I get a copy of the itinerary too.
Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hitesh
03-08-17, 04:53 PM
Done. Thanks Hitesh!

If you are thinking about fuel carrying options, I had forgotten this option : http://www.jeepkonection.com.au/AEVJKFuelCaddyBlackAEVAEV10305031AB

Dennis and Kevin both have these, and thanks to Wayne for reminding me!

Dave

Thanks Dave - the wife was very impressed with your trip.

We are a tentative for your Simpson desert trip too...[emoji106]

isherz
03-08-17, 04:53 PM
Hey Dave we are a go change from maybe to definite!!!! John is very keen to see this area ! Thx

Dave
03-08-17, 08:31 PM
Hey Dave we are a go change from maybe to definite!!!! John is very keen to see this area ! Thx

Great, done. Pity it's just a little shorter than this years trip... :(

Dave

MY14JK
04-08-17, 02:24 PM
Count me in, not sure if i'll be solo or with family but i'll be there. If the family joins me i'll be towing.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Dave
04-08-17, 03:27 PM
Count me in, not sure if i'll be solo or with family but i'll be there. If the family joins me i'll be towing.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Awesome! I have also added an 'afterthought' to the back end if the Itinerary. For anyone that doesn't need to be back home for work on Monday 8th, we could head from Canberra through Bendethra back to the coast and home on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll email anyone on the list a new copy for consideration.

Thanks,
Dave

darksidecustoms
06-08-17, 07:00 PM
Put me down (Nash/XJ), + Ben & Amy Hunt (WJ) who are re-joining members, moved to Canberra.

Goneagain
06-08-17, 07:20 PM
Hi Dave, Put me down please. Best Regards Adrian.

Dave
06-08-17, 09:33 PM
Put me down (Nash/XJ), + Ben & Amy Hunt (WJ) who are re-joining members, moved to Canberra.

Hi Dave, Put me down please. Best Regards Adrian.

Done x 4 :)

Also emailed the Itinerary, hope I got the addresses right!

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
20-08-17, 01:03 PM
Since we are already at 9 Jeeps, I thought I had better get in and make sure the caravan parks at least have room for us...

Berridale on Friday 5th, no problem (I hope), I have reserved 9 sites and they should be $20 per night per site.

Khancoban on Tuesday 2nd, also no problem, reserved 9 sites although the price has changed. They now charge $35 per site for 1 or 2 people. They have a brand new amenities block and camp kitchen and need to pay for them...
And it'll be the last hot shower and flushing toilet for three days, so we'll take advantage :)

Talbingo I am a bit worried about as January 1st is an issue. They are going to call me back and let me know. If they cannot fit us in, there is free camping available along Blowering Lake before you get to Talbingo, but that would make it trickier to find each other to meet up. I hope we will have good news from the Caravan Park, which is $20 per night per site.

I didn't think they would be so booked up 5 months out! Fingers crossed,

Dave

Hitesh
20-08-17, 06:47 PM
Since we are already at 9 Jeeps, I thought I had better get in and make sure the caravan parks at least have room for us...

Berridale on Friday 5th, no problem (I hope), I have reserved 9 sites and they should be $20 per night per site.

Khancoban on Tuesday 2nd, also no problem, reserved 9 sites although the price has changed. They now charge $35 per site for 1 or 2 people. They have a brand new amenities block and camp kitchen and need to pay for them...

Talbingo I am a bit worried about as January 1st is an issue. They are going to call me back and let me know. If they cannot fit us in, there is free camping available along Blowering Lake before you get to Talbingo, but that would make it trickier to find each other to meet up. I hope we will have good news from the Caravan Park, which is $20 per night per site.

I didn't think they would be so booked up 5 months out! Fingers crossed,

Dave

Dave - do they have any cabins at Talbingo? And the other sites? Just wondering tour master [emoji12]

Dave
20-08-17, 07:10 PM
Dave - do they have any cabins at Talbingo? And the other sites? Just wondering tour master [emoji12]

Hi Hitesh,

All three of the caravan parks in the itinerary do have cabins - but as I found today, you will need to get in quick to have any chance of booking one - especially Talbingo. It is peak season I guess. Contact numbers for the caravan parks are in the itinerary.

I just heard back from Talbingo! The have space for 9 tents in "the overflow" all unpowered, probably down on the lake shore - which will be great. I asked but they have no cabins left.

Dave

Wallyd
24-08-17, 03:57 PM
I haven't been around here much at all. We will be a maybe. Waiting on Alicia to reply and then I'll see with work....

Dave
24-08-17, 04:33 PM
I haven't been around here much at all. We will be a maybe. Waiting on Alicia to reply and then I'll see with work....

Thanks Wally, good to hear from you! Hope you will come to the AGM in 2 weeks - 6 September.

If we get too many people we may have a problem at Talbingo caravan park (I reserved 9 sites, but there may not be any more...) There is a free national parks camp site just a couple of km out of town, if anyone doesn't want/need caravan facilities the first night I can take some Jeeps there after we all meet up. Just have to see how we go.

Thanks again,
Dave

Dave
30-08-17, 02:06 PM
Not really a bump, but Hitesh has managed to book in to cabins at Talbingo, Khancoban and Berridale, so we do have a 'spare' reserved campsite at each place. I reserved 9 but we now only need 8.

If either of the maybes become definite...?

Thanks,
Dave

Wallyd
30-08-17, 02:31 PM
Won't be able to make this. Planning a holiday for later in the year

Dave
30-08-17, 05:43 PM
Won't be able to make this. Planning a holiday for later in the year

Okay, no worries, hope you will be going somewhere great!

Wallyd
30-08-17, 07:34 PM
We're talking cruise around oz, so yes

Mohawk
08-10-17, 12:16 PM
Another Maybe here...

We return from a Christmas holiday on the Afternoon of the 2nd. Might try to catch up with you guys on the evening of Jan 3, in Tom Groggin. I'm really keen on it at the moment but Jet lag may dictate otherwise on the 3rd.

Cheers,
Nick

Dave
15-10-17, 02:02 PM
Another Maybe here...

We return from a Christmas holiday on the Afternoon of the 2nd. Might try to catch up with you guys on the evening of Jan 3, in Tom Groggin. I'm really keen on it at the moment but Jet lag may dictate otherwise on the 3rd.

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks Nick, added to the Maybes.

Dave
04-11-17, 05:47 PM
Okay, checked our numbers at the meeting on Wednesday. Nick and Pam can't make it, neither can Adrian, but if Kaitlyn (JKJessie) can come we will be at 10 Jeeps and set for a great trip :)

I have checked with Talbingo, Khancoban and Berridale. All three caravan parks are expecting us and don't need any money up front, so all we need to do is turn up in Talbingo on New Years Day!

That said, if anyone has a problem and can't come, or if anyone else is really keen, let me know ASAP so I can let them know. I did not hear back from everyone before or at the meeting, so I hope everyone on the list is still coming!

The rest of our camp sites are in the bush, so no number problems. Hunno said he might meet us at Tom Groggin for our night there and down in Victoria, just for fun.

I will be happy to meet anyone that wants to convoy down to Talbingo on New Years Day. Heading South in the past we have met at the big Southbound BP service station at Marulan on the Hume Highway. About an hour and a half from my place in Croydon, or an hour from Campbelltown. I plan to stop there for lunch around 12.30 or 1pm. Happy to meet anyone there, it will be three and a half or four hours from there to Talbingo, depending on whether we stop for arvo tea at the Dog on the Tuckerbox (another favorite) and fuel...

Any questions, please get in touch. All my details are in the Itinerary and I'll be at the December meeting and the Christmas Party if you want to chat!

All the best,
Dave

jeepstar2017
11-11-17, 11:02 PM
I might be a maybe for this. Does that count? :-)

Dave
13-11-17, 06:22 PM
I might be a maybe for this. Does that count? :-)

Sure! I'll add you to the maybes.

I have reserved a number of camp sites at three caravan parks, and if everyone that has their name on the list does turn up we may have to squeeze up... But then I haven't heard from some of the 'definites' in months, so they may not all be coming...

Do you have an itinerary? If you would like one, please PM me with your email address and Ill send one!

Let me know if you are definitely coming ASAP :)

Thanks,
Dave

jeepstar2017
13-11-17, 06:29 PM
Dave, thx. No I don’t have the itinerary. Please send. Thx. I’ll let you know ASAP.

isherz
14-11-17, 01:17 PM
John and di is a definite

Dave
14-11-17, 05:14 PM
John and di is a definite

Awesome, thought you would be :)

TrailHunt
17-11-17, 08:34 AM
Hi Dave. Amy and I are also a definite for this trip, though as we’re coming from Canberra, we’ll meet you guys at Talbingo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stevet
18-11-17, 01:18 AM
I'm a definite for the trip Dave..........

Hitesh
18-11-17, 10:49 AM
We are all locked and loaded for the trip... all terrains tyres are on .. awning tent ⛺️ purchased and tested... thanks Dave for putting this on..

Dave
18-11-17, 04:20 PM
We are all locked and loaded for the trip... all terrains tyres are on .. awning tent ⛺️ purchased and tested... thanks Dave for putting this on..

Fantastic! I know I’ve only been back six weeks from the last trip, and I’m already looking forward to getting out of town again!
Dave

Dave
19-11-17, 10:11 AM
Hi Dave. Amy and I are also a definite for this trip, though as we�re coming from Canberra, we�ll meet you guys at Talbingo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great! Have heard back from nearly everyone! Looking forward to it, six weeks tomorrow!

Dave

Dave
19-11-17, 10:12 AM
I'm a definite for the trip Dave..........

Thanks Steve, was sure you would be.

Just waiting to hear from Darksidecustoms and the two maybes and that's everyone :)

Six weeks tomorrow!

Dave

chips
20-11-17, 11:03 AM
Yes Dave put me down Danny

Dave
20-11-17, 03:00 PM
Yes Dave put me down Danny

Crikey, now we really are full! Great to have you along Danny, you and Sharon?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
22-11-17, 06:34 PM
http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/images/icons/icon1.png Re: snow mountain Tour

http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Ali
Hey Dave,

i just joined the club and seen snow mountain tour. i got 2011 2 door stock jeep wrangler. This tour would be perfect for my skill and car.

The list seems to be full if there is any chance someone drops out or you can fit me in please let me know.

Regards,

Ali

Hi Ali,

I'll add you to the Maybe list and definitely keep you in mind. I'll also email the itinerary for you to have a look at.

I have not heard from a couple of 'Definites' since they signed up, or one of the other 'Maybes' since the last club meeting, so we may have room for one more. I will try and finalise at the December meeting!

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
03-12-17, 11:20 AM
Hi Snowy Mountains Trippers,

This weeks club meeting and next Sundays Christmas Party are our last chance to have a chat and get things organised pre-trip, although I am usually available by phone and email.

The list as it looks is

Definites
1. Dave
2. Sean & Daf
3. Hitesh & family (4 all up)
4. John & Di
5. KevinF (My14JK)
6. Ben & Amy & Nash
7. SteveT - will do the add on to Bendethra too.
8. JohnC
9. Danny
10. Ali

We are fully subscribed. All the Definites have confirmed.

How about meeting up on the way down on New Years Day? If you are happy to meet at Talbingo that's fine. Otherwise heading South in the past we have met at the big Southbound BP service station at Marulan on the Hume Highway. About an hour and a half from my place in Croydon, or an hour from Campbelltown. I plan to stop there for lunch around 12.30 or 1pm. Happy to meet anyone there, it will be three and a half or four hours from there to Talbingo,depending on whether we stop for arvo tea at the Dog on the Tuckerbox (another favourite) and fuel...

Any questions, please get in touch. I'll be at the December meeting and the Christmas Party to chat and finalise numbers and anything else. We head off 4 weeks tomorrow!! Can’t wait J

All the best,
Dave

Dave
11-12-17, 06:30 PM
Hi All,

Three weeks from about now and we should be meeting up in Talbingo! Lots of excited people at the Christmas Party yesterday and it was great to catch up with the few I hadn't spoken to in a while.

Because I said I needed to have final numbers by the end of last week, I am closing the trip at 10 Jeeps and I think it is 17 people!

A few of us will convoy down from Marulan, the rest will meet us on the banks of Jounama Pondage. Can't wait!

Please get in touch if you have any last questions or concerns, otherwise, see you in three weeks :)

Dave

Prescy
12-12-17, 01:39 PM
Hi, wondering if you're offroading on this trip.

Prescy
12-12-17, 01:40 PM
Hi,wondering where you will be offroading on this trip?

Dave
13-12-17, 04:18 PM
Hi,wondering where you will be offroading on this trip?

We will be on dirt every day except for the drive from Sydney to Talbingo. Some of the dirt is easy, well made track. Some will require low range eg the climb to Davies High Plain, and some of the track up there.

This trip was designed to be achievable by stock Jeeps with hi and low range. That said if it rains...

Dave
29-12-17, 03:16 PM
Hi All,

Last minute check up for everyone... Three days from now and we should all be well on our way to Talbingo :)

I'm meeting a few people at the South bound BP Servo at Marulan (John and Steve at least...) - about 2km past the truck weigh station. I plan to leave home about 11.00am so I'll be there by 12.30 for lunch (all things going to plan). Hope to leave there again about 1.00pm which should put us in Talbingo about 5.00pm, factoring in a stop for arvo tea and fuel. We all want to have a full tank of fuel in Talbingo, although the drive on Tuesday to Khancoban isn't that long distance. I'll be filling up again in Khancoban, and my Jerry can! It is three days from there to the next fuel.

Hope everyone is getting all their gear together. Any last minute questions or problems, please give me a call. All my contacts are in the itinerary.

See you on Monday, and Happy New Year!

Dave

isherz
07-01-18, 04:50 PM
Homeward bound after a fantastic week away down south... huge shout out and a big thanks to David Grime...a well executed trip with variety of tracks , his fabulous knowledge and great time keeping whipping a large group into scheduled timekeeping isn’t easy!
I’ve never laughed so much in a trip around the proverbial. Campfire especially the derelict caravan park that looked like the hydro majestic from the front...after many wolf creek jokes we had a ball...even the unexpected c+ small challenges on 1 leg was embraced with enthusiasm by all!
Thx David Cant wait till the Simpson [emoji247]!

John n Di

Dave
07-01-18, 06:55 PM
Homeward bound after a fantastic week away down south... huge shout out and a big thanks to David Grime...a well executed trip with variety of tracks , his fabulous knowledge and great time keeping whipping a large group into scheduled timekeeping isn�t easy!
I�ve never laughed so much in a trip around the proverbial. Campfire especially the derelict caravan park that looked like the hydro majestic from the front...after many wolf creek jokes we had a ball...even the unexpected c+ small challenges on 1 leg was embraced with enthusiasm by all!
Thx David Cant wait till the Simpson [emoji247]!

John n Di

Thanks Di and John, it was a great trip with a fabulous group of people! Loved almost every minute :)

Home now, and Jeep mostly unpacked. Already missing the high country with 25 degree days and 10 degree nights, because it is 38 degrees here! Yuk!!

Looking forward to all the pix next meeting, and hopefully Shaun and Danny can show some of the awesome (and hilarious) videos. Hope everyone else is home safe.

Thanks one and all,
Dave

Hitesh
07-01-18, 10:16 PM
Dave - thanks again for such a well run trip. My family thoroughly enjoyed it... also big thank you to everyone on the trip was heaps fun .. some memories...winching, ruts, river crossings, snakes, gorgeous views, dust, kangaroos, brumbies, flies, camp fires, caves, frozen ankles, marshmallows, lock picking, getting lost, homesteads, rocks big and small, people helping each other ... I learnt so much from others and thanks for letting me pick your brains... see you all soon... thanks Hitesh and Patricia

isherz
07-01-18, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=Hitesh;55832]Dave - thanks again for such a well run trip. My family thoroughly enjoyed it... also big thank you to everyone on the trip was heaps fun .. some memories...winching, ruts, river crossings, snakes, gorgeous views, dust, kangaroos, brumbies, flies, camp fires, caves, frozen ankles, marshmallows, lock picking, getting lost, homesteads, rocks big and small, people helping each other ... I learnt so much from others and thanks for letting me pick your brains... see you all soon... thanks Hitesh and Patricia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

OMG the dust...!!! Red dust white dust grey dust every day a different dust!!! I’m sure you thoroughly enjoyed that too [emoji23] what a great family!

Hitesh
07-01-18, 10:47 PM
So love the sound of flushing toilets [emoji23]

Hitesh
07-01-18, 10:53 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180107/07961ae1c369e407e67b41dd3f8556f2.jpg

Dave
07-01-18, 11:25 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180107/07961ae1c369e407e67b41dd3f8556f2.jpg

That is a beautiful pic - Tom Groggin is a beautiful spot! So glad you had fun [emoji3]

isherz
08-01-18, 07:12 AM
So love the sound of flushing toilets [emoji23]

Crying.....not as much as Phoenix!!!!!!

Hitesh
08-01-18, 09:05 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180107/9f0dbe7fa16c294c19644575a7b3fd5f.jpg

Dave
08-01-18, 01:52 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180107/9f0dbe7fa16c294c19644575a7b3fd5f.jpg

Wow, another awesome pic - the whole crew at The Poplars campsite on Davies High Plain. Very nice.

On another note, just spoke with Kev, and got a text from Ali, both got home safe on Saturday!

Thanks again to all who came along and made it so good!

Dave

MY14JK
08-01-18, 07:53 PM
As per the previous posts, huge shout out to Dave for organising another sensational trip, i had a great time especially on the days the tracks got a little tuff. I particularly enjoyed the group, the scenery, the camp sites and the awesome and sometimes intence tracks

Thanks again Dave, i enjoy your trips and look forward to the Simpson trip!

Cheers,

Kevin.