PDA

View Full Version : Watagans Explore 21 Oct 2017

Dru
02-09-17, 09:49 PM
Where: Watagans

Detail: What we'd like to do here is a reccie through a number of well known harder tracks in the Watagans that we have managed to locate but don't want to reccie solo. Depending on how we pin things together it may include:

warm up with Green's Break

x Zigzag
x Whiteman's lane
x Tunks
x Erzburg (Farrell No 3)

And if people are keen - Cut Rock

We wont get all this done but they are the target tracks.

When: Saturday 21.10.17

Meet: F3 services

Time: 8:00 for 8:30am

Grade: Unknown, but Greens Break is C+; Cut Rock is B+, the rest we think sit between B and B+.

Requirements:

2" lift and 33" MTs but you will struggle on Cut Rock. 3" and 35" MTs recommended for this sort of reccie.
Must have rock sliders, front and rear bars, front and rear recovery points, full recovery gear. Radio.
Camera, lunch, water, suncream, first aid kit
Sense of enthusiasm and fun

This run is limited to: 4 vehicles including trip leader

Further info contact: Dru Spork M: 0419 855 121 (tel:0419 855 121)

Attending:

1. Dru, Dru'n'Kerry: JK
2. Hayesio, Jack: JKU
3. SteveT, Steve: TJ [confirmed]
4. aza mof, Aaron: TJ [TBC]

Stuart Tye
03-09-17, 11:46 AM
I'd love to join you guys on a reccie. Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve F
03-09-17, 11:51 AM
Hey Dru, aren't you guys coming camping up at Jenolan then it's the long weekend ;)

http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?5359-Jenolan-Camping-(Glenroy-Cottages)-and-Wheelin-weekend-30th-September-to-2nd-October

Dru
03-09-17, 12:27 PM
Hey Dru, aren't you guys coming camping up at Jenolan then it's the long weekend ;)

http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?5359-Jenolan-Camping-(Glenroy-Cottages)-and-Wheelin-weekend-30th-September-to-2nd-October

Yikes, missed it in the calandar - we'll push this one back.

Dru
03-09-17, 12:32 PM
I'd love to join you guys on a reccie. Stu

Apologies Stu - can you confirm the change in date? Thanks!

Dru'n'Kerry

Stuart Tye
03-09-17, 07:45 PM
All good here for the 21st.
Cheers Stu

Dru
03-09-17, 08:20 PM
Thanks Stu

Dru'n'Kerry

Hayesio
04-09-17, 06:09 PM
Hi Dru.
Sounds great! I'm in if thats ok.
Jack

Dru
04-09-17, 08:21 PM
Hi Dru.
Sounds great! I'm in if thats ok.
Jack

Look forward to meeting on the tracks again Jack. :highly_amused:

stevet
06-09-17, 03:20 PM
Hi, I would like to go on this run but my roster is not out for another two weeks for this date....... So can you put me as a standby presently...........

Dru
06-09-17, 03:48 PM
Steve, lets lock it for now. Get back if it's an issue. These are trails where we could use your help.

Dru'n'Kerry

Stuart Tye
14-09-17, 07:46 PM
Hi Dru'n'Kerry, I'm sorry to say I have to pull out of this trip. Engine and gearbox are to be replaced. [emoji17] hope you have an awesome time. Stu

Dru
14-09-17, 07:48 PM
Hi Dru'n'Kerry, I'm sorry to say I have to pull out of this trip. Engine and gearbox are to be replaced. [emoji17] hope you have an awesome time. Stu

wowser. Engine and gearbox? That's one up on us. What's the story?

Stuart Tye
14-09-17, 08:36 PM
That awesome run on Sunday at Yawal concurring wombat track, middle earth and monkey gum was finished off with some water on the track 1.5 km from Braidwood rd that was over a 1.5 mts deep, and well, not the ending you'd expect. Thank goodness my insurance looks like it's going to cover it.

Dru
14-09-17, 08:52 PM
Yeetch!

hope you get back quickly.

stevet
17-09-17, 06:43 PM
Hi Dru & Kerry, lock me in for the run.... Off that weekend plus a few more days as well!!!...

Dru
17-09-17, 07:09 PM
Hi Dru & Kerry, lock me in for the run.... Off that weekend plus a few more days as well!!!...

:encouragement:

aza mof
08-10-17, 05:01 PM
Im interested will have to confirm next week

Dru
11-10-17, 10:49 PM
Im interested will have to confirm next week

Let us know.

Dru

Dru
20-10-17, 10:28 AM
A quick update with conditions in mind.

Looks like the Watagans picks up something like an inch of rain today (just like Sydney). According to BOM-Meteye, tomorrow in the Watagans is largely dry with a chance of light sprinkles in the afternoon. I haven't bothered checking fires. Closures are the usual culprits in the Watagans. Our problem is that many tracks in the Watagans drain very slowly and an inch of rain is easily enough to fill the bogs that were bone dry yesterday.

It's hard to know the actual track conditions until we get there, but the reccie will proceed. If it is greasy we will choose tracks carefully and may change the itinerary. eg Cut Rock might get harder wet, but suffers no wet weather damage. Green's Break should be OK when lightly wet, but if truly greasy will be avoided. We won't try "Extreme Herzberg" (Farrel no #3) if it's wet. I am still keen to access Whiteman's/Zigzag but we will double back if that is the sensible thing. etc.

See you there!

Hayesio
20-10-17, 07:23 PM
Hi Dru, I'll be there!

I just want to clarify the rendez-vous. It's the Caltex service station with the McDonalds on the Pacific Motorway halfway between Sydney and Newcastle, North bound, correct?

Thanks
Jack

Dru and Kerry
20-10-17, 08:00 PM
Hi Dru, I'll be there!

I just want to clarify the rendez-vous. It's the Caltex service station with the McDonalds on the Pacific Motorway halfway between Sydney and Newcastle, North bound, correct?

Thanks
Jack

Hi Jack

It's the services just past the Wyong turnoff heading northbound. See ya

Cheers
Kerry

Dru
21-10-17, 09:29 PM
Great day at the Watagans. Big shout out to our Vice President, Greg. Mate we (Kerry) finally worked out how to get your zigzag track files on to our HEMA. Massively important to our navigation today.

Thanks to Jack and the omnipresent SteveT, it was definitely a challenge level that calls for more than one vehicle.

We poked our noses into zag zag. And let it go. Not the right conditions to play on B++, possible A Grade. Whitemans Lane was fun then on to the infamous Cut Rock. Pretty sure it’s the first time we have run it without vehicle damage in the group.

Reccied a a couple of “short cuts” at B grade and let one A grade go. Rounded out with Green’s Break where it has been wet enough to make the track amusing without forcing track damage.

Trip home via graded trails for a 4:00 air up.

🤔 What did you do on Saturday? lol. 😎

isherz
26-10-17, 07:49 AM
Great day at the Watagans. Big shout out to our Vice President, Greg. Mate we (Kerry) finally worked out how to get your zigzag track files on to our HEMA. Massively important to our navigation today.

Thanks to Jack and the omnipresent SteveT, it was definitely a challenge level that calls for more than one vehicle.

We poked our noses into zag zag. And let it go. Not the right conditions to play on B++, possible A Grade. Whitemans Lane was fun then on to the infamous Cut Rock. Pretty sure it[emoji769]s the first time we have run it without vehicle damage in the group.

Reccied a a couple of “short cuts” at B grade and let one A grade go. Rounded out with Green[emoji769]s Break where it has been wet enough to make the track amusing without forcing track damage.

Trip home via graded trails for a 4:00 air up.

🤔 What did you do on Saturday? lol. 😎

[emoji106]