PDA

View Full Version : Introduction Trip #1 Watagans

Dru
11-10-17, 10:28 PM
Edit: Other than cancellations, this tip is full.

This is a special call out for visitors interested in having a closer look at SJC out o the trails. It is is a stock Jeep trip, SJC-style. :smile-new: We'll re-run it 4 weeks later if there is enough demand. Established club members are most welcome, to help with any potential new members.

General: Consider this an introduction to the main access routes through the 4WD playground north of Sydney. Kerry and I have been gradually adding interesting off-piste bits, so I hope it's fun for everyone.

Where: Watagans

When: Saturday 28th October 2017

Meet: M1 Motorway services traveling North, just past Wyong. On Google it's called F3 Wyong North bound (Twin Servos). There is a Macca's and a healthy fast food as well.

Time: 8:00 am for 8:30 departure. Please be fueled and fed.

Grade: C Grade - easy.

Generally graded trails. Most of the route on our Navigation tool shows speeds of 20 km/h. Not a lot of low range though we might add a couple of "off piste" alternates - just because we can. Generally the track conditions are similar to Black Fellows Hand Trail in Newnes.

The Watagans are famous for mud. Not much we can do about that but we are carefully avoiding all known major bog hole challenges, just can't guarantee you wont need to wash your Jeep afterwards. Likewise for overgrown scratchy bushes - we are avoiding all known scratchy tracks, just can't guarantee it. Wave Rock entry may have some small wet spots and branches, still C grade and definitely worth it.

Requirements: Radio, food/drink of choice, camera. Full fuel tank. If you have recovery gear please pack it - no need to race out and purchase if you don't have any yet. Stock Jeeps are fine. Regarding Radio - convoy communications are a must. We have a hand held UHF which we use for spotting which can be used, but we really need everyone on the club Channel. See what you can do to help us out.

This run is limited to: 10

Attending:

1. dru: Dru'n'Kerry: JK
2. BlueJKU: Dave: JKU
3. Steve X: Steve, Jk
4. Jeep11: Steve (el Presidente) and Hayley: JK
5. RichHenning: JKU

Reserved for newcomers
6. Don M: Don: JK
7. Jeepstar2017: Brenton: JKU
8. tadinha: Mark: GC Trailhawk
9. 4-man: Henry: JKU
10. SnakeDocter: ?: JKU

Reserve list - refer to the second trip!

Dru'n'Kerry

BlueJKU
12-10-17, 12:32 PM
Hi Dru, can you please add me to the list - Dave 2011 JKU

Dru
12-10-17, 12:58 PM
Hi Dru, can you please add me to the list - Dave 2011 JKU

Done, List started.

Steve x
12-10-17, 10:48 PM
Hi Dru'n'Kerry,

Please count us in for this trip, but understand if new visitors preferred.
Regards Steve'n'Lisa.

Dru
12-10-17, 11:31 PM
Hi Dru'n'Kerry,

Please count us in for this trip, but understand if new visitors preferred.
Regards Steve'n'Lisa.

Steve'n'Lisa, guys, my great pleasure to have you guys on an introduction weekend. Lock it in. I really want some club guys on the trip.

Elio S
13-10-17, 09:14 AM
Hi Dru and Kerry, can you put me down for this please.

Dru
13-10-17, 04:26 PM
Hi Dru and Kerry, can you put me down for this please.

Elio, you're on the list. Mate are you still with TJ? I seem to remember that maybe you got something else.

richhenning
13-10-17, 09:15 PM
Hi Dru,
Happy to help with both these trips. I can assist as TEC to show visitors how we work together for a safe and fun trip. But also ok to let visitors go first. I’ll be actively promoting these trips at the club stand at the show tomorrow. Rich H

jeepstar2017
13-10-17, 09:47 PM
Dru, might be able to go if I can still get on the list. Will confirm with you tomorrow at the show. Brenton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeepstar2017
14-10-17, 12:45 AM
Dru, might be able to go if I can still get on the list. Will confirm with you tomorrow at the show. Brenton

Actually I’ll confirm now since I noticed you intend to attend Sunday vs Sat. I’ll be bringing my son, Hudson.

tardinha
14-10-17, 08:41 AM
Hey,

I’m in if there’s still room :)

Cheers

Mark

Elio S
14-10-17, 08:51 AM
Elio, you're on the list. Mate are you still with TJ? I seem to remember that maybe you got something else.

Yep still have the TJ. Don't think I can bare to part with the old girl lol

Dru
14-10-17, 08:14 PM
Hey,

I’m in if there’s still room :)

Cheers

Mark

Of course there's room mark. What is your vehicle?

Dru
14-10-17, 08:22 PM
OK:

1. I have provisionally listed two guys who somehow got my mobile number from the Show (who done that!) rather than come through the forum. We will sort out forum registration over the next few days. Welcome Dona and Henry :smile-new:

2. Rich - any chance we can ask you to "own" this trip? (And probably the C+ you also know). It'd be great for someone to pick up grease monkey.

3.Brenton - it'll be great to catch up again.

So this trip has one more visitor slot. Club members please look to Introduction Trip #2 Watagans. :shame:

4-Man
14-10-17, 08:41 PM
Hi Dru...
Thanks for the SMS.
Please put me down for the trip...
Cheers
Henry

2010 JKU Stock
Reg: IMADJ

Dru
14-10-17, 08:45 PM
Hi Dru...
Thanks for the SMS.
Please put me down for the trip...
Cheers
Henry

2010 JKU Stock
Reg: IMADJ

Brilliant. Thanks Henry - locked in.

4-Man
14-10-17, 08:50 PM
Your number come through on my Tapatalk notification about the trip...
Cheers...

Jeep11
14-10-17, 09:14 PM
Hey Dru,
i was at the show today and we were referring everyone to the forum. Maybe they got your number from the front page of your trip? We weren't handing out numbers

Don M
14-10-17, 10:52 PM
Hi Dru, it's Don here... As per discussed please count me in as a newcomer... Much appreciated and looking forward to it.

Thanks Don. Seer you there.

tardinha
15-10-17, 01:44 PM
Of course there's room mark. What is your vehicle?

2013 GC Trailhawk :)

Dru
15-10-17, 04:58 PM
Hey Dru,
i was at the show today and we were referring everyone to the forum. Maybe they got your number from the front page of your trip? We weren't handing out numbers

Sounds like it! The trip is lining up nicely.

SnakeDoctor
15-10-17, 10:23 PM
Hey guys, if that last slot is available i'd like to take it.

JKU.

Dru
16-10-17, 07:15 AM
Hey guys, if that last slot is available i'd like to take it.

JKU.

Done. List full.

Elio S
25-10-17, 04:37 PM
Hi Dru and Kerry, unfortunatley I'm going to have to pull out of this trip. I've had a couple of medical emergencies this week with my mother ending up in one hospital and my father in law ending up in another hospital. As we are the first point of call as the rest of our families live far away, it's probably best if I stay in town this week 'just in case'. Sorry guys

torana.kruse75
26-10-17, 06:33 AM
I would love to join in
Unfortunately I need to get my front diff rebuilt first [emoji22]

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Dru
26-10-17, 01:27 PM
I would love to join in
Unfortunately I need to get my front diff rebuilt first [emoji22]

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Keep an eye on things, there are trips coming up all the time. :smile-new:

Dru
26-10-17, 01:36 PM
Hi Dru and Kerry, unfortunatley I'm going to have to pull out of this trip. I've had a couple of medical emergencies this week with my mother ending up in one hospital and my father in law ending up in another hospital. As we are the first point of call as the rest of our families live far away, it's probably best if I stay in town this week 'just in case'. Sorry guys

Wow. Elio, our best wishes for mum and dad. Hope it all turns out well.

Dru’n’Kerry

Jeep11
26-10-17, 09:53 PM
Hi Dru, could you myself and Hayley to the list please

Dru
27-10-17, 08:00 AM
Hi Dru, could you myself and Hayley to the list please

all good Steve.

Dru
27-10-17, 08:15 AM
CONDITIONS WATCH

Things look good to go for tomorrow, though obviously we have our attention on the rain. Trip grades (dificulty) in the Watagans are effected by the wet. BOM Meteye we find to be remarkably accurate and while a band of rain went through on Thursday night, Friday is surprisingly light, and Saturday basically dry. At least we dont need to worry about fire alerts!

We can adjust the trip as needed to avoid most slippery and boggy roads (not all), though you are definitely going to be washing the Jeep after. :highly_amused: We may drop McKenzies on this trip depending how it looks. Also “dry creek rd” (wont be) and Farrells.

A watch is out on the reaction from National Parks who in this area can be zealous (with closures). It’s unlikely we would be effected, but do check-in again mid-afternoon today (Friday). We will report back.

Yours in Jeepin’!

Dru’n’Kerry

4-Man
27-10-17, 10:29 AM
Hey Guys...
Could anyone confirm or clarify if the stock recovery points are sufficient as per pix...
Cheers...
Henry https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/a3a8e4314742623bff36456d2caedb76.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jeep11
27-10-17, 10:53 AM
Hey Guys...
Could anyone confirm or clarify if the stock recovery points are sufficient as per pix...
Cheers...
Henry https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/a3a8e4314742623bff36456d2caedb76.jpg

Hey Henry,
it looks ok,

Dru
27-10-17, 01:45 PM
CONDITIONS WATCH - UPDATE

All good, the trip is definitely on!

Rain today has been mild, after the heavy downpours this morning. Tomorrow is predicted no chance of rain at no mm. Watagans does hold water and drain slowly but we will do our best to avoid the obvious problem areas.

Parks have not closed any further trails due to inclement weather, there is just the usual to avoid the area in inclement weather in 2WD vehicles.

See everyone tomorrow at the meeting point - use the car park in front of MacDonalds - F3 services on the north motorway. Just past the Wyong tourn off.

Dru'n'Kerry

jeepstar2017
27-10-17, 06:22 PM
Sounds good! Looking forward to trying out my mud tires in actual mud :-)

4-Man
27-10-17, 08:02 PM
Hey Dru...
Looking forward to tomorrow...
What tracks do you have in mind...
Henry...

4-Man
27-10-17, 08:04 PM
I understand you mentioned C grade...
What would you class Greens Break Rd

Don M
27-10-17, 08:40 PM
Looking forward to the (slushy) trip tomorrow... My internal CB is shot but I have a pair of 80ch 2 watt handhelds... hopefully that's okay. Gonna take my brother (Dennis) and a mate (Scott) along for the ride.... Catch you tomorrow. Regards, Don M

Dru
27-10-17, 09:57 PM
I understand you mentioned C grade...
What would you class Greens Break Rd

Gradings are always subjective. This is a trip on the easy side of C grade - an introduction trip for stock Jeeps.

We use Green’s Break in our Watagans C+ trip. We are happy running B and B+ but this isnt that sort of trip. A is basically comp truck if you want to avoid damage, highly moded if you’re not so worried about damage.

Hope that helps. :encouragement:

4-Man
27-10-17, 10:06 PM
C+ would be about right for that track with a bit of extra difficulty when wet...

Dru
27-10-17, 10:23 PM
C+ would be about right for that track with a bit of extra difficulty when wet...

Grades are always somewhat subjective and it is easy to under or over rate trails. Which doesnt help anyone. Green Break can be amusing at the tree. Cherokees are going to find it something of a deal breaker unless lifted more than the norm, and maybe even then.

The washed out clay climb just needs sensible driving, but if super wet it is only going to result in trail damage. Which doesnt fit with SJC thinking. We ran it last weekend after rain, I wouldnt call it above C+. Wetter than this and I’d suggest let it go for other trails.

Out of interest, we air down tomorrow at Cut Rock. I used to call Cut Rock B+, but these days noting that I have only once (last weekend) led a group through without serious damage somewhere in the group, I now call it A. Check out the cut tomorrow before we head out. Doesnt look particularly dangerous, but it is.

4-Man
27-10-17, 11:19 PM
Mate I'm totally stock...
I've done plenty at Wotto in a stock sierra on 27's belonging to the suzi club... have been winched and pulled through a few B & B+...
But I really don't want to wreck the Mallside Cruiser... lol..

SnakeDoctor
28-10-17, 08:03 PM
Really nice to meet everyone + big thanks to the organisers for making it such a fun day and a friendly environment for all.

I've joined Sydney Jeep Club now so I hope to see you all again on future trips shortly.

Regards,
Martin (White JKU)

BlueJKU
28-10-17, 08:19 PM
Thanks to Dru and Kerry for organising, had a great time.

richhenning
28-10-17, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone for a great day. Big thank you to Dru and Kerry for leading today.
Really good to meet all the new and returning visitors, very welcome at SJC

I’ll post up some pics soon, but had to get this awesome photo up straight away.
Rich

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171028/3a28ed8b002fd75bc40395c4b0f3ba91.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dru
28-10-17, 09:22 PM
What a great bunch and a great day. Let me start with a special vote of thanks to wonderful Kerry for leading this trip. And a belated apology for my sometimes dopey navigation. :highly_amused:
Rich, As usual we completely neglected to say thanks for running tail, ditto to Steve for running "piggy in the middle". This large group did actually get spread enough on a couple of occasions that we needed the radio relay.

Watagans really put on a great day. Everyone enjoyed the challenges more and more and at the end of the day we were convinced to exceed our brief. Adding in Farrel 2 and 3 (not the crazy climb) and Creek Road a clear C+ trail.

And we nearly made it. :highly_amused: We needed to harness Don for his first snatch to give Henry just a little help on a greasy, slippery climb needing more clearance than stock offers. A first for us too - quadruple snatch to clear the bottom and top of the climb. Whew, all good. :eagerness: :encouragement: Top work Don!

Generally the crew ran well, no lost Jeeps, no broken convoys. No complaints due the sometimes scratchy trails in Watagans.

Wildlife check for the day: pademellon (small wallaby), lyrebirds, goanna, echidna, turtle. No snakes. ANd if you were listening birdsong included bell birds (obviously), king parrots, rosella, cockatoo, black cockatoo (distinctive), whip birds.

Ah well, another fabulous day on the trails, and ten Jeep owners now pondering how to get all that mud off!

Dru'n'Kerry

PS I think I want a Trailhawk!

Dru
28-10-17, 09:30 PM
I've joined Sydney Jeep Club now so I hope to see you all again on future trips shortly.

Regards,
Martin (White JKU)

Another happy customer. :encouragement:

4-Man
28-10-17, 09:53 PM
Hey Gang...
Home Safe & Sound...
Washed... Feed... Relaxed...

Great Day...
Thanks Dru... Thanks Kerry...

And Thanks to The Group...

How do we compile and get copies of footage from all the cameras...
Unfortunately I only took 3 or 4 pics... not much to brag about...

Henry...

tardinha
28-10-17, 10:17 PM
Brilliant day!!!

Definitely the club for me :)

Cheers
Mark

Don M
28-10-17, 11:29 PM
What an amazing day! Learnt a lot from this first trip... Got to test a whole lot of gear (deflators, compressor, hema maps, diff lockers, disconnects, hi-lo range, recovery gear, mud tyres, radio etc.) and driving capability of myself and Betty (which far exceeded my expectations - still buzzing from it really)... I might just leave the mud patina on for a week, park next to the boss and ask how his weekend was ��

Cheers to everyone in this group and Sydney Jeep Club for organising... What a top bunch and club!... Catch you at the meeting!

Dru
29-10-17, 11:49 AM
Hi Henry, given its only a few pics, can you send them through to Dru’s phone? I’ll pop some up on facebook.
Kerry