PDA

View Full Version : Introduction Trip #3 Watagan s

Dru
03-11-17, 06:41 PM
It looks like we need a third trip!

This is a stock jeep trip, SJC-style. :smile-new: Established club members are most welcome, to help with any potential new members.

Visitors - if you are interested, just register at the forum (no cost for that) then post your interest below. :encouragement:

General: Consider this an introduction to the main access routes through the 4WD playground north of Sydney. Kerry and I have been gradually adding interesting off-piste bits, so I hope it's fun for everyone.

Where: Watagans

When: Saturday 2nd December 2017

Meet: M1 Motorway services traveling North, just past Wyong. On Google it's called F3 Wyong North bound (Twin Servos). There is a Macca's and a healthy fast food as well. Meet up in the Macca's car park.

Time: 8:00 am for 8:30 departure. Please be fueled and fed.

Grade: C Grade - easy.

Generally graded trails. Most of the route on our Navigation tool shows speeds of 20 km/h. Not a lot of low range though we might add a couple of "off piste" alternates - just because we can. Generally the track conditions are similar to Black Fellows Hand Trail in Newnes.

The Watagans are famous for mud and scratchy branches. . Not much we can do about that but we are carefully avoiding all known major bog hole challenges just can't guarantee you wont need to wash your Jeep afterwards. Likewise for overgrown scratchy bushes - we are avoiding all known scratchy tracks, just can't guarantee it. Plank Hill ws the worst of it in Trip 1, Wave Rock entry may have some small wet spots and branches, still C grade and definitely worth it.

Requirements: Radio, food/drink of choice, camera. Full fuel tank. If you have recovery gear please pack it - no need to race out and purchase if you don't have any yet. Stock Jeeps are fine. Regarding Radio - convoy communications are a must. See what you can do to help us out.

This run is limited to: 10

Attending:

1. dru: Dru'n'Kerry: JK
2. stevet: Steve Taylor: TJ
3. Stuart Tye: Stuart: JK

4. Jeepstar: Brenton: JK
5. H@mircO: Ben: WK
6. gp: John: JK
7. OlegIV: KL Trailhawk
8. Afiq: Afiq: JKU

Dru'n'Kerry

stevet
03-11-17, 07:08 PM
I'm available for the run Dru but please give the first timers priority for the run.....

Dru
03-11-17, 07:33 PM
I'm available for the run Dru but please give the first timers priority for the run.....

Steve, If you are available and happy to join us I'f like to lock you in. Always good to have some experience along. We wont leave out any newcomers, we might just be repeating the trip a bit.

Dru'n'Kerry

Stuart Tye
03-11-17, 10:02 PM
Hi Dru’n’Kerry
Can you count me in please.

Cheers Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevet
04-11-17, 02:32 AM
Lock me in Dru... Cheers Stephen

imow4u
06-11-17, 08:50 AM
Hi Dru,
Can I come along as I’m not a member yet!
Cheers Ian

Dru
06-11-17, 05:55 PM
Hi Dru,
Can I come along as I�m not a member yet!
Cheers Ian

You are welcome Ian. Buddy, what is your vehicle?

imow4u
06-11-17, 10:39 PM
You are welcome Ian. Buddy, what is your vehicle?

Hi Dru, 2013 JKU auto, 3.6 ltr here is a pic. Cheers Ian.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/d5af3a0d4ea9758af07569df89693c06.jpg

Dru
07-11-17, 12:48 PM
Cheers Ian

jeepstar2017
11-11-17, 11:01 PM
Dru, put me down for this one please. Thx.

H2Micr0
11-11-17, 11:09 PM
Please add me to this one, and remove me as a reserve for number 2.

Many thanks
Ben

Dru
14-11-17, 08:13 AM
List updated. Brenton great to see you back. We might change our entry point on this trip, mixing it up a bit but with the same end.

Ben - thanks for helping balance the convoy's greatly appreciated. It might sound a small thing but it does make life easier.

Dru'n'Kerry

gp
17-11-17, 08:52 PM
Drew please put me down for this trip.
John Clark Silver Rubicon

Dru
18-11-17, 06:45 PM
Drew please put me down for this trip.
John Clark Silver Rubicon

Sounds great John. :-)

OlegIv
19-11-17, 07:20 PM
I'd like to join the trip as well. I'm on KL Trailhawk

Thank you

Dru
20-11-17, 08:19 AM
I'd like to join the trip as well. I'm on KL Trailhawk

Thank you

Done, and welcome.

Afiq
27-11-17, 11:49 AM
Hi Dru,

Couldn't make it last weekend due to health reasons. But definitely keen for this one.

Can you add me to the list? Thanks :smile-new:

Afiq - JKU

Dru
27-11-17, 12:03 PM
Hi Dru,

Couldn't make it last weekend due to health reasons. But definitely keen for this one.

Can you add me to the list? Thanks :smile-new:

Afiq - JKU

All good, list updated. Hope you are feeling better!

Dru'n'Kerry

H2Micr0
27-11-17, 06:26 PM
If we have wet weather all week and then on the weekend, will this go ahead? Or will it possibly be postponed?

Not overly keen on mud LOL.

Cheers
Ben

Dru
27-11-17, 07:53 PM
From the first post description “The Watagans is famous for mud and scratchy branches.” The notes are there for a reason.

We always keep a close eye on the weather. And Park closures. And fires. And we will let everyone know how it is looking. With as much warning as BOM/Parks/Bush Fire is able to provide.

There is a fair chance you will get muddy.

Dru

Dru
28-11-17, 02:27 PM
OK let's take a look at the BOM. Firstly the big wet coming is dragged from Vic up through the Central Tablelands -our trip is inside of Newcastle, we are just on the edge of it.

MetEye is the better of the long term BOM forecasts for our purposes: http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/
Type in "Mandalong" which is pretty much the closest town to our trip.

Wed 60% chance of rain; 0-2mm
Th 30% of rain; 0-0.4mm
Fri 50% chance of rain; 0-4 mm
Sat 95% chance, 5 to 10mm.

Statistically that is something less than 2mm-4mm of rain during the week prior to the trip - almost enough to dampen the dust.

Saturday is raining, but if you look through the hour by hour forecast, it is 25% to 50% in each time band with it looking more likely in the middle of the day and to the north of our trip.
Note that the long term forecast takes a jump to better accuracy at -3 days (they use local datapaks at that stage). For now the weather looks fine but we will know better from Thursday. We will check wind and storms as we get closer (I don't like to have to deal with too many fallen trees, so wind tends to be more important than rain.) And also any zealous Park response with track closures.

You'll be washing off the mud on Sunday, think about boots, waterproof jacket and umbrellas for the trip, but we are looking good to go. If it is greasy we will avoid Creek Road, but the rest of the trip should be fine.

Stay in touch! We are on weather watch!

Dru
30-11-17, 08:26 AM
It is all good. BOM/Meteye is now showing Saturday as 80% chance of rain - 0-4mm. So dont forget a wet weather coat.

We WILL check the radar on Saturday - but the trip is uneffected. Park closures are also not concerning.

See you all at the meet up point!

Cheers

Dru'n'Kerry

H2Micr0
30-11-17, 12:40 PM
Sounds Good.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Cheers
Ben

Dru
01-12-17, 05:55 PM
OK, final condition check.

Generally things look good in the morning, but the chance of rain increases through the day and a total of 10mm to 20mm is expected. Parks have no specific additional closure notes other than don't take a 2wd.

Caution will guide us during the day, but we'll see everyone there at the meet up point.

Dru'n'Kerry

jeepstar2017
02-12-17, 06:48 PM
Another great trip! Thanks again Kerry & Dru!

Dru
02-12-17, 07:00 PM
Thanks Brenton. I think that version of the trip is probably the most spot on for the published grade. We remembered a couple of trails we hadnt been on for a while and they fitted nicely.

Nice that the rain (almost) held off until we were aired up.

:joyous:

Dru'n'Kerry

Stuart Tye
02-12-17, 07:20 PM
Great trip guys, thanks to all for a great day

OlegIv
02-12-17, 08:14 PM
Nice trip, thank you everyone! And the rain started just at the right moment to wash the dirt off on the way home, perfect timing there as well :encouragement:

H2Micr0
03-12-17, 08:31 PM
Many thanks for the day.

I really enjoyed myself and learnt some things along the way.

Afiq
05-12-17, 04:52 PM
Great trip guys! Thanks again!

Afiq & Sammie

gp
05-12-17, 08:52 PM
A very good trip on Saturday thanks Drew and Kerry.

John Clark

jeepstar2017
06-12-17, 08:07 PM
Thanks Brenton. I think that version of the trip is probably the most spot on for the published grade. We remembered a couple of trails we hadnt been on for a while and they fitted nicely.

Nice that the rain (almost) held off until we were aired up.

:joyous:

Dru'n'Kerry

Remember I mentioned that Israeli suspension?
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/49519-2017-SEMA-Rego-4x4-REX-Jeep-JK-Wrangler

Dru
07-12-17, 01:14 AM
Remember I mentioned that Israeli suspension?
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/49519-2017-SEMA-Rego-4x4-REX-Jeep-JK-Wrangler

Fascinating, and an IFS done well as far as we can tell. I'll stick with a live axle lol.