PDA

View Full Version : EOI Watagans Exploration first week Jan

Dru
22-12-17, 12:51 PM
Mentioned this in the last club meeting, but we will be looking to a couple of day trips into the Watagans at the end of the holidays - from New Year through to Sunday 7.1.18. Let us know if interested in joining us.

We are hunting for B grade and more, so vehicles need the usual preparation - recovery points and recovery gear, off road tyres, lift, rock rails, first aid, reliable sense of humour - these are the sort of trips that have the highest risk of becoming stuck! Also very likely to be infrequent use roads which in the Watagans means heavily overgrown and scratchy.

Thoughts on possible day trips

If you know the area we'd like to test Harris Rd and Bowmans on one trip - grade unknown but possible C+/B with a likelihood of plenty of mud, deep in places with no bypass options. We would love to map a return trip from these trails into Yengo for a return to Sydney via Wisemans Ferry.

Would love to get back into Zig Zag, Whiteman's Ridge, Whiteman's Lane etc. We know a little more about these trails now so I'm going to call them for A grade, 3" lift, 35"s, proven rock rails, winch. A grade means risk of damage is higher than usual. You will scrape on these trails. Reliable lockers are recommended here.

Other tracks we want to poke our nose into are Rope Rd, Fence Line, Tunks Fire trail, Big Pole, Smithy's. Grades unknown, possible C+ but we'll know more when we get there. Several of these are out and back tracks.

Feel free to contact me if you have days that suit.

Dru: 0419 855 121

Dieselcon
24-12-17, 09:29 PM
Hi guys if I can get some time off will live to join in the fun. .. will find out next week[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dru
25-12-17, 09:55 AM
Jose, if time off is an issue, we can always use one of the weekends. It really would be great to catch up on the trails again. :eagerness:

Stuart Tye
28-12-17, 07:31 PM
Love to join any of trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dru
28-12-17, 08:58 PM
Super, stay tuned.

Dru

Dru
01-01-18, 08:37 PM
Stuart trip is arranged. :smile-new:

Jose, are you around or run out of time? Happens this time of year lol. If still keen our availability is:

Wednesday - with Stuart
Thursday is free
Saturday is free

Dru’n’Kerry

Dru 0419 855 121

Greg D
02-01-18, 11:17 AM
Dru,
I'm interested in coming along in my TJ (while I have it in Sydney). Not quite to your specs (31" with lift), but recovery gear etc. I've done ZigZag(up) & Whiteman's Lane (down) in the TJ a few times.
I'm free all days.
Greg

Dru
02-01-18, 12:25 PM
Dru,
I'm interested in coming along in my TJ (while I have it in Sydney). Not quite to your specs (31" with lift), but recovery gear etc. I've done ZigZag(up) & Whiteman's Lane (down) in the TJ a few times.
I'm free all days.
Greg

Greg the spec is more about making sure people have the right expectations. It would be fabulous if you could join us.

Are you OK for tomorrow (wednesday 3.1.18)?

Meeting 9:00 for 9:30 am at the F3 services.

Just the two of us as it turns out.

Dru’n’Kerry

Greg D
03-01-18, 06:50 PM
Dru & Kerry,
Enjoyed today - thanks for arranging. Now to explore that sound from the front diff / axle area!!!
Lots of unexplored tracks in the Watagans...
Greg

D.K.
04-01-18, 02:10 PM
Hi Dru, nice to chat just before.
Will be up at the twin servo's on sat....
Look out for a dark green TJ or a rescue green JKU

Cheers
Dave K

Dru
04-01-18, 02:21 PM
Cheers Dave, see you there.

Dru
04-01-18, 09:10 PM
Cheers Dave, see you there.

I should add - the avatar is still the same jeep - Silver JK with roof racks. Dave, looking forward to another day in the Watagans. :smile-new:

Dru'n'Kerry

D.K.
04-01-18, 10:07 PM
I should add - the avatar is still the same jeep - Silver JK with roof racks. Dave, looking forward to another day in the Watagans. :smile-new:

Dru'n'Kerry

Thanks, should be easy to spot.
Yeah, looks like being a warm one....

Dru
06-01-18, 07:45 PM
A "blast from the past"! It was fabulous wheelin' with a former SJC-er today. D.K. turns out to be Dave Knighton previously well known at SJC and has a penchant for challenge. If you have had a chance to wheel with guys like Jose (Dieselcon) or Roop (rupicon), you will know the sort of treat that Kerry and I had today with Dave.

We managed an entertaining and controlled day on the Watagans through Whiteman's Lane, Whiteman's Ridge Road, (a trail name for Steve and Hails :shame: ) "Skull and Cross Bones" (name and risk well related) and finally ZigZag. Some of the big name trails in the Watagans. We are MUCH better placed to consider these trails now.

The final steps on ZigZag proved too much for "Magnet" (yes we named our JK). When your nose is pointed truly at the blue, and your tail acts as a rolling fulcrum - it's an opportunity to test the tipping point. Which we well did before deciding that winch was the better part of valour. :hopelessness:

Dave - thanks again for a great day out. Hope we get the opportunity to do more.

Dru'n'Kerry

D.K.
06-01-18, 09:26 PM
As an occasional lurker on the SJC forum, was curious who this Dru bloke was.... great to meet up with you and Kerry.
Great day today, seems like it was cooler up there than back in Sydney.
and just remember..... its all easy ;-) ;-)