PDA

View Full Version : Mount Airlie - Options from D grade to B+

Dru
06-05-18, 09:03 PM
24 and 25 November 2018

OK I have unfortunately a problem and have to postpone. I am getting new diffs and cant sort this out after Grease Monkey and before this schedule. I'll revisit when i know more and will contact interested parties as we go forward.

Apologies

Dru

This is a place marker. The incredible Mount Airlie (Mugii Murum-ban State Conservation Area) is to be impacted by extensive track closures. This may well be the last chance we have at checking out this remarkable place. I propose a weekend camping on Mount Airlie itself - NOT the crazy difficult track but the first plateau which is a short C grade run to the camp spot. Right on the edge of the diamond mine itself!

Tracks to be covered by the group are:

a) Airlie village ruins - track scheduled to be closed - heritage site of ruins from an abandoned shale oil mining site. D grade, but spectacular if you haven't visited (and you wont again short of walking in).

b) We'll run the famous Mount Genowlan trail on both Saturday and Sunday if there is enough interest. B+ Grade. I can't speak highly enough of this track - to be closed - in terms of driver challenge and of just a spectacular ecology that simply has to be experienced to understand it. The drive is advanced, not for stock unfortunately. Last chance to see the best views in the Sydney basin. Yes the best views.

c) We'll look for trip leaders to pick up interesting returns to Sydney trips for those not doing the climb on the Sunday:
1: Turon River to Sunny Corner C grade, river crossings, views, great way to return to the big smoke.
2: The reverse run on Baal Bone (second best views in the Sydney basin). We'll avoid the big rock step (there is an alternate) to keep the trip C grade and then do an in-and-out from the Wolgan Valley side.

There will also be a chance to watch the starting climb of the Challenging Mount Genowlan for people wanting to see something a little challenging that requires guides. And a chance to explore the trig point - C grade - for the view of "the 300 sisters" (better than the Blue Mountains!) and the wet lands at the base of Genowlan plateau. You guessed it - also to be closed. Maybe we can find the walks that are meant to be well known.

This will all happen roughly a month after Grease Monkey, so hopefully everyone will be enthusiastic to have another crack at a weekend camping with the SJC!

Expressions of interest:
dru: Dru'n'Kerry: JK
Dave: Dave; Grand Cherokee
jk_Menace: Dennis: JKU
isherz: John and Di; JK
Hitesh; Hitesh: JK
StewartV: Stewart; JKU
Snakedoctor: Martin; JKU
Richhenning: Richard; JKU
SteveF: Steve; JK
Atto: Wayne and Julie
Easy77: Dusan; JK
SeanC: Sean and Daphne; JK
H2Micro:
SteveX: Steve; JK
Hunno: Hunno
Milky
RDO401
tardinha
stevet
snoik
goneagain
GregD
Afiq

Dave
06-05-18, 10:06 PM
Nice, sounds great! Been wanting to get up there since before I missed my chance at your passenger seat last year.

If there are bits that the Grand shouldn't tackle...?

Dave

Dru
06-05-18, 10:58 PM
Nice, sounds great! Been wanting to get up there since before I missed my chance at your passenger seat last year.

If there are bits that the Grand shouldn't tackle...?

Dave

You'd need to be game to take on the Genowlan Plateau climb. I'd suggest running out to the start of the ascent and checking out the progress. THEN you'll have a ball with the trig point for sure, and don't miss the Airlie village if you haven't been there.

Dave - I wouldn't recommend the Genowlan climb for a Grand Cherokee, but the camp site on Mt Airlie is completely good, even stock.

jk_menace
06-05-18, 11:48 PM
Sounds like an opportunity not to be missed. Put me down for the weekend please.
Dennis

isherz
07-05-18, 01:21 PM
24 and 25 November 2018

This is a place marker. The incredible Mount Airlie (Mugii Murum-ban State Conservation Area) is to be impacted by extensive track closures. This may well be the last chance we have at checking out this remarkable place. I propose a weekend camping on Mount Airlie itself - NOT the crazy difficult track but the first plateau which is a short C grade run to the camp spot. Right on the edge of the diamond mine itself!

Tracks to be covered by the group are:

a) Airlie village ruins - track scheduled to be closed - heritage site of ruins from an abandoned shale oil mining site. D grade, but spectacular if you haven't visited (and you wont again short of walking in).

b) We'll run the famous Mount Genowlan trail on both Saturday and Sunday if there is enough interest. B+ Grade. I can't speak highly enough of this track - to be closed - in terms of driver challenge and of just a spectacular ecology that simply has to be experienced to understand it. The drive is advanced, not for stock unfortunately. Last chance to see the best views in the Sydney basin. Yes the best views.

c) We'll look for trip leaders to pick up interesting returns to Sydney trips for those not doing the climb on the Sunday:
1: Turon River to Sunny Corner C grade, river crossings, views, great way to return to the big smoke.
2: The reverse run on Baal Bone (second best views in the Sydney basin). We'll avoid the big rock step (there is an alternate) to keep the trip C grade and then do an in-and-out from the Wolgan Valley side.

There will also be a chance to watch the starting climb of the Challenging Mount Genowlan for people wanting to see something a little challenging that requires guides. And a chance to explore the trig point - C grade - for the view of "the 300 sisters" (better than the Blue Mountains!) and the wet lands at the base of Genowlan plateau. You guessed it - also to be closed. Maybe we can find the walks that are meant to be well known.

This will all happen roughly a month after Grease Monkey, so hopefully everyone will be enthusiastic to have another crack at a weekend camping with the SJC!

John and Di will be in plz add us to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dru
07-05-18, 04:21 PM
Attendee interest:

1. Dru and Kerry
2. Dave
3. jk_menace; Denis
4. isherz; John and Di

Hitesh
07-05-18, 05:02 PM
Would love to do parts of it... not the B grade parts. Please lock us in.. now I need to move on to convincing the wife why she needs to spend her birthday [emoji320] camping [emoji23]

StewartV
07-05-18, 05:12 PM
Please put me down as well Dru

Stewart

SnakeDoctor
07-05-18, 08:03 PM
Definitely keen for this.

richhenning
07-05-18, 08:18 PM
Would be interested, thanks.

Dave
07-05-18, 09:48 PM
Dave - I wouldn't recommend the Genowlan climb for a Grand Cherokee, but the camp site on Mt Airlie is completely good, even stock.

Great, definitely keen. Will ask if anyone has a passenger seat free for any tough bits that are a must see!

Thanks Dru,
Dave

Steve F
07-05-18, 10:10 PM
Also keen :) it's a long way off but put me down.

Cheers
Steve

atto
07-05-18, 10:51 PM
Please add Wayne & Julie to the list.

Easy77
07-05-18, 11:36 PM
Also interested. Put me on the list, thank you.

Dusan

SeanC
07-05-18, 11:59 PM
Please put us down for this Dru, very keen.

H2Micr0
08-05-18, 03:53 PM
Also interested for the non B Grade options.

Please add me to the interest list.

Steve x
08-05-18, 10:53 PM
Hi Dru,

Would like to try this trip. Please include us for the weekend.
Lisa and Steve

Dru
08-05-18, 11:37 PM
OK Airlie team :smile-new: I've listed this as expressions of interest. It's a long way off.

Also - very much keep posted for Grease Monkey updates. :smile-new: :smile-new: :smile-new:

Hunno
09-05-18, 02:43 PM
Yep. I’m keen

Milky
10-05-18, 11:55 AM
Please add me to the EOI list :encouragement:

RD0401
11-05-18, 10:45 PM
Sounds awesome. Add me to the EOI list please

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

tardinha
12-05-18, 11:08 AM
I’m interested :)

stevet
13-05-18, 12:35 AM
Interested if not working...

Dru
14-05-18, 03:05 PM
EOI list updated.

I've been thinking that they may well be a few members interested in riding shotgun to Genowlan Point (ie wanting to take up a passenger seat). It would be useful for people to indicate if they are interested in the climb and if they are likely to have spare seats that they can share.

ALSO: don't forget to cross over to the Grease Monkey thread and indicate interest! http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?5523-Grease-Monkey-2018-NEW-Dates-26-27-28-October-weekend

StewartV
15-05-18, 06:25 PM
Didn’t see my name on the updated list, but I’m still good for this Dru. Also potentially have a spare seat for the climb - depends if my son ends up coming along that W/E

Dru
15-05-18, 11:28 PM
Stewart - you are 6th on the list.

And the list is not working to a number. It's my last chance at taking the club to this marvelous place. Parks are not going to like it, but Kerry and I took a group of basically over 30 up to the plateau for Jambo. I wouldn't want to do it again, but I'm not limiting numbers here.

snoik
19-05-18, 08:28 PM
please add me to the list, it's been several years I've been up there

Goneagain
23-05-18, 08:35 PM
Hi Dru and Kerry please put me down for this one.
best regards Adrian.

Greg D
27-05-18, 10:09 AM
Dru & Kerry,
Please add me to the list ...
Greg

Afiq
30-05-18, 05:07 PM
Interested! Sorry, we both had to make sure we're free that weekend :)

- Afiq and Sammie; JKU

Dru
08-10-18, 12:54 PM
Apologies to all but I need to postpone this trip - our JK is going in for new diffs which then need breaking in. I have no chance of doing this after Grease Monkey and having them broken in before the dates.

We will pout it up again soon, and i will contact all parties who have responded here when i have a better idea of when we will be ready.

Cheers

Dru

darksidecustoms
17-10-18, 07:41 PM
Hey Dru, put me down as expression of interest for the new dates when you’re ready.