PDA

View Full Version : Watagans reccie #3

Dru
06-08-18, 03:01 PM
Join us as we reccie for Grease Monkey. Get involved where you can, though most reccies will have group small numbers due to the logistics involved when we are trying to works things out.
Where: Watagans

When: Saturday 25th August 2018 day trip - to leave meet point at 9:00am

Meet: M1 Motorway services traveling North, just past Wyong. On Google it's called F3 Wyong North bound (Twin Servos). There is a Macca's and a healthy fast food as well.

Grade: Well it's a reccie so formally this is X grade - unknown; let us know what you want to target in the reccie

Requirements: Recovery gear, recovery points front and back, off road tyres (ATs fine),

This run is limited to: 5 max

Attending:

1. dru - Dru'n'Kerry, JK
2. stevet - Stephen
3. H2micro - Ben

Dru
20-08-18, 10:54 AM
Giving this a bump.

Probably re-visit the area to the other side of Mandalong/Martinsville where somehow I have lost all my GPS plots.

Then I'd like to look closer at one our previous C grade runs starting from the Cut Rock air down point and looking for the side tracks running next to the main graded trail.

Who's up for a reccie?

Cheers

Dru'n'Kerry

richhenning
20-08-18, 03:39 PM
Hi Dru,
I won't be able to join you this weekend unfortunately.
I am thinking that I would lead a C grade trip along our previous C grade runs, from bottom of cut rock, taking in Mckenzies and maybe offer Muirs lookout walk as a type of 'Walk and Drive' half day out.

I'll head up that way to reccie some more in September.
Rich

Dru
20-08-18, 04:17 PM
Hi Dru,
I won't be able to join you this weekend unfortunately.
I am thinking that I would lead a C grade trip along our previous C grade runs, from bottom of cut rock, taking in Mckenzies and maybe offer Muirs lookout walk as a type of 'Walk and Drive' half day out.

I'll head up that way to reccie some more in September.
Rich

Cheers Rich and thanks heaps. :encouragement:

stevet
21-08-18, 12:31 AM
Hi Dru,
I should be back on the road this week at last.... Please put me down for this... It will be a shake down for me so whatever you lead us into!!!
Cheers... Stephen T.

Dru
21-08-18, 10:37 AM
Typical, Stephen drops in when I was only intending targeting C grade! lol.

OK we'll see if we can mix it up a bit. Great to see you back on the dirt Stephen.

:encouragement:

H2Micr0
22-08-18, 01:36 PM
Hey Dru

Can I join in on the Reccie?

The WH now has 2" lift, bull bar and winch.

Cheers
Ben

Dru
22-08-18, 08:37 PM
Most welcome Ben. See you Saturday.

stevet
23-08-18, 01:01 AM
Dru, I'm easy with whatever grading but I may still have some issues so the easier the better at this stage....

Dru
23-08-18, 02:13 PM
Cheers Stephen.

Will target C Grade in the area where I have most my trail plots. Never quite sure what we'll find though.

Dru
25-08-18, 08:41 PM
We always enjoy being on the trails but Kerry and I today had one of those truly special days. I really hope that Ben enjoyed it as much (unfortunately Stephen was unable to join us).

Bit of everything.

We toyed with Drury Lane before having to turn back at a point inappropriate to C grade, C+ or even B. BUT found that we can tag Drury Lane together with side routes. Mostly C+ but some that can work with C grade. (haha! Dru'n'Kerry C grade with entertainment!) There is real opportunity in that area of Jilliby.

We visited some old trails - first trail we did with SJC. The horror section that took 5 hours to travel 400m when we last did it is now quite dry. "Quite" meaning there are challenging bogs for anyone but certainly for a WJ (think I have that right!). This said the twin locked-vary locked diffs provided awesome performance on all trails.

We hit some harder stuff that was not expected, lot's of fun, wont be added in to the trip list for Grease Monkey, but both vehicles had plenty of fun.

We had not 1, not 2, but 3, yes THREE hail (sic) storms.

The result has been a true reccie, varying in and out of the intended C grade, and we think possibly we have pinned together a third C Grade trip in the Watagans. Geez Ben, you are a champion. Looking forward to getting Pat and Hitesh, and hopefully Adrian, out to play with it in Watagans reccie #4. I think you guys are going to like it.

Fabulous day. Exhausted. Feel like we achieved something.

:shame:

Dru'n'Kerry

H2Micr0
25-08-18, 09:08 PM
Thanks Dru and Kerry, for a fabulous day out.

The WH Grand is truly a underrated package, especially with the Diesel and Quadradrive 2.

The hail certainly got quite heavy in the middle there.

We found a couple of spots the Grand just didn't have the breakover for and had to be gently tugged back onto it's tyres. No damage though.

Looking forward to another Reccie in a few weeks, and of course, Grease Monkey itself.

Cheers
Ben