PDA

View Full Version : Mt Airlie Sat 19-1-19 List Closed

Dru
07-01-19, 12:06 PM
We would like to run Mt Airlie again prior to Kerry being out of action for a while. Apologies at the short notice.

Where: Mt Airlie (out of Capertee)
When: Saturday 19th January, 2019
Meet: Richmond Macca's
Time: 7:00 am for 7:30 departure
Grade: B grade - note the step at roof rack canyon can be worse than this
Requirements: Recovery points Front/Rear, recovery gear, radio, 2" lift, 33" mud or AT tyres, food/drink of choice, camera. Recommendations: there is plenty of rock crawling on this trip, protection such as underbody armour and rock rails is recommended. This trip is not suitable for un-modified low clearance Jeeps.

This run is limited to: 6 vehicles including leader - apologies at the short list, especially with visitors

Attending:

1. Dru: Dru'n'Kerry; JK
2. SeanC: Sean & Daf; JK
3. My14JK: Kevin; JK
4. snoik: Andrew; JKU
5. aza mof: Aaron: JKU

List is now closed.

SeanC
07-01-19, 03:15 PM
Hi Dru,

Please put us down for the trip.

Sean & Daf

Dru
07-01-19, 03:28 PM
Hi Dru,

Please put us down for the trip.

Sean & Daf

Brilliant. List updated.

Dru'n'Kerry

H2Micr0
07-01-19, 06:16 PM
I would have liked to visit Mt Airlie, but B Grade is beyond the WH Grand.

Have fun guys and gals.

Dieselcon
07-01-19, 10:11 PM
I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isherz
07-01-19, 10:16 PM
Bugger we’re at Anna bay for the week!
Enjoy [emoji1785]

Dru
08-01-19, 07:25 AM
Hi Ben, as you know I really love the WJ/WH - it's an under-rated Jeep for sure. Mt Airlie would be a risk though, ramp over would be problematic in a few places annd there are not really many changes in line you can take to ease the angle. Discretion is probably the right call. there will be other trails.

John and Di, enjoy Anna Bay!

Dru
08-01-19, 09:34 PM
Quick update. The gates appear to be related to Ribaux family concerns about random people ruffling through Cols stuff. Which naturally we wouldn’t go near. I have feelers out hopefully looking for permission from the family.

Panda
09-01-19, 12:58 AM
I am IN!!!

Can I also bring a friend and his family with me with his Hilux Surf too?

Dru
09-01-19, 09:25 AM
David, PM sent. In short “no” to outsiders who we don’t know - apologies but this is probably the most challenging track that Kerry and I lead. Note this is the full blown Genowlan Point run, not the camping spot at the Diamond mine.

Dru

SnakeDoctor
09-01-19, 01:31 PM
In please!

Thanks Dru.

stevet
09-01-19, 02:27 PM
Bugger, working again...

Dru
09-01-19, 02:58 PM
Martin is added. I’m seeking confirmation from Panda due to the nature of the trail.

latest on the gates is that there is no issue and 4wd have been accessing the trail OK.

Stephen T - next time!

Dru
09-01-19, 03:33 PM
Update from the Association:

Just spoke to Sam from Centennial (Local mine), the Gate went up more to protect Col's place while family sort out what they are doing. I get the feeling it was done by a couple of managers without approval thinking they were doing the right thing. Access is as normal. Talking to Sam if anything they may move the access point but that's it. Since the gate went in they have been getting inundated with phone calls so the gates will be removed soon. Association has offered help and services if required with helping to clean up and/or maintain the area. We have been asked to get the word out that nothing has changed with access just be mindful and respect Col's place and family. So Dru, go for it.

BTW Sam said we have a really good name in the area and they have no problems with us using the area.

There are sometimes questions raised about the Association - but you can see at least in this case that the guys are active and building strong relationships for the betterment of 4WD.

MY14JK
10-01-19, 10:11 PM
Hi Dru,
I'd love to attend this trip, I haven't taken the Jeep out since the Simpson trip (that said I haven't really been in the country that much) so it'd be good to do a day trip.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Dru
11-01-19, 01:50 PM
Hi Dru,
I'd love to attend this trip, I haven't taken the Jeep out since the Simpson trip (that said I haven't really been in the country that much) so it'd be good to do a day trip.
Cheers,
Kevin.

great Kev, see you there

Dru
14-01-19, 06:00 PM
Update: there have been some bad storms in the region (Bathurst to Mudgee actually) and there is some lingering damage to roads and fences in areas not far from Capertee. I have advice that Mt Airlie is good however and we will meet up as planned.

Jose, will you meet us in Capertee or elsewhere?

cheers

Dru’n’Kerry

snoik
14-01-19, 06:44 PM
Hi Dru,

Can you add me to the list if its not too late, what time do you expect to be at Capertee?

Regards
Andrew

Dru
14-01-19, 09:42 PM
Hi Dru,

Can you add me to the list if its not too late, what time do you expect to be at Capertee?

Regards
Andrew

Andrew, it would be my pleasure. Will update tomorrow and sort out Capertee times a bit later this week.

Dru

aza mof
16-01-19, 02:48 PM
If everthing falls in place i may be able to join yous will no friday night

Dru
16-01-19, 05:31 PM
If everthing falls in place i may be able to join yous will no friday night

I’ll add you to the list but do confirm on Friday.

And I will close the list at that point. :encouragement:

Dieselcon
16-01-19, 10:36 PM
I’m devastated as I have to pull out of this trip.. family commitments have spoilt my fun [emoji1745]*[emoji3603]

Dru
17-01-19, 09:52 AM
Thanks Jose.

Dru
17-01-19, 06:28 PM
Conditions update:

Parks: Total Fire ban. No closures.
Fires: 2x small fires to the north in Capertee NP under control. No impact on Mount Airlie
Weather: HOT!! Chance of rain but doesn’t meet “likely” criteria (pity!). Storms predicted for Sunday.

will continue to monitor fires and storms but we are good to go. :encouragement:

Dru
18-01-19, 05:11 PM
Final update before we meet up.

fires down to one, still north and no impact, still small and under control.
rain continues to look unlikely
hot
no closures

snoik
18-01-19, 05:43 PM
What time do you expect to be at Capertee, if you’re leaving at 7:30, I guess about 9:15-9:30, I’ll be at Capertee by 9:00

Dru
18-01-19, 07:55 PM
What time do you expect to be at Capertee, if you’re leaving at 7:30, I guess about 9:15-9:30, I’ll be at Capertee by 9:00

Sounds Good. 9:00am at Capertee it is.

SeanC
18-01-19, 09:31 PM
Hi Dru,

We will meet you guys at Capertee at 9am as well.

Assuming it's the Capertee General Store?

Sean and Daf

Dru
18-01-19, 09:42 PM
Hi Dru,

We will meet you guys at Capertee at 9am as well.

Assuming it's the Capertee General Store?

Sean and Daf

Yep, see you there.

aza mof
18-01-19, 10:05 PM
See your a in the morning

Dru
19-01-19, 05:57 AM
See your a in the morning

Cheers.

Richmond or Capertee?

edit: resolved by text

Dru
20-01-19, 12:52 PM
Quick update on what turned to be a rewarding but tough trip.

We lost Aaron early on the bitumen due to a recent oil filter change - too tight and damaged the seal so much loss of oil.

There was was a second group from All Wheel Drive Club with Paul Brennon. Paul was happy for us head up first. It’s a bit haunting heading in through the Ribaux property, quite emotional I felt.

What was the trail like? Honest, simply tough. A couple of recent storms have left the trail, even the section that Parks intend grading and keeping open, in not the best condition. I got hung up in several places in sections that we thought easy bits on previous trips. Kerry and I have done this trip 8 times (we think) and this was the toughest one!

It remains an iconic bucket list track and we can only hope that the 4wd association manage to maintain access on our behalf. I know they are working hard, but I expect we will see a closure at some point before any longer term solution is won.

I think Kevin is rustling up a report, but let me say it was a long day, with plenty of hang-spots requiring spotting and cautious driving. A “simple” recovery toward the end of the day demonstrated how there is actually no such thing. We were airing up at 7.30. :hurt: It’s always a pleasure, strangely enough, for any recovery to be with the SJC. Calm, common sense, discussion and consensus, patience.

On on a personal note, Mount Airlie remains our favourite trip. Kerry would like me to pass on our gratitude to all those who made this trip possible. It’s a long list given the current circumstances including other Clubs in the Western Region, the Association, the mine and even the Ribaux family. Most importantly, our sincere thanks to Aaron, Sean and Daphne, Andrew Chuck and the kids, Kevin and Rhonda.

Dru’n’Kerry

Dru
20-01-19, 12:53 PM
PS I’ve posted the first of the pics on the face book page.

SeanC
20-01-19, 07:40 PM
Thank you Dru and Kerry for another fantastic trip.

Mt Airlie was incredible. No shortage of technical challenges. Just touching or maybe a little bit beyond our comfort zone.

Thank you everyone who helped out with the recovery. Muttley lives to see another day :smile-new:

https://www.facebook.com/sean.conaty.73/videos/10155744927711296/

Hitesh
21-01-19, 10:58 AM
Wow Sean - the recovery looks epic!!!

SeanC
22-01-19, 12:51 AM
Wow Sean - the recovery looks epic!!!

Yes, it was a tricky situation we were in. Luckily there were good people to help us out.