PDA

View Full Version : Kerry surgery

Dru
08-01-19, 02:17 PM
Just a quick note for those who have voiced concern. Kerry goes in to surgery on 31st Jan 2019 (yes not far off) to remove a brain tumour. We expect recovery to be anything up to 3 months.

For the technically minded it is a meningeoma (tumour associated with the membrane surrounding the brain) which are not the most serious of tumours, unfortunately it’s against the brain stem and is effecting the trigeminal nerve (feelings to face and scalp). Location complicates things.

The expected outcomes are surprisingly good and we remain optimistic and quite enthusiastic once decisions have been made.

I will try to get an update out as things progress.

Sincere thanks for the friendship from our Jeeper supporters out there.

Dru Spork

Hitesh
08-01-19, 03:01 PM
Hi Dru n Kerry

Best of luck with the operation.
Our prayers are with you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave
08-01-19, 05:23 PM
Hi Kerry and Dru,

Best wishes and hoping for the best of outcomes! Very glad that the prognosis sounds so positive.

Stay strong and see you soon!!

Dave

OlegIv
08-01-19, 06:02 PM
Dru and Kerry - wishing you all the best, and hoping for the complete and quick recovery!

Jeep11
08-01-19, 07:02 PM
Dru and Kerry we wish you all the best of luck.

richhenning
08-01-19, 11:18 PM
Wishing all the best for the surgery and recovery. Prays and thoughts with you both. Rich and family.

jk_menace
09-01-19, 12:01 AM
Kerry all the best for the surgery. Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery. Strength to both of you . Dennis and Eleni

Jeepmuggle
09-01-19, 04:31 PM
All the best for the surgery and a successful outcome and recovery.

Steve F
09-01-19, 10:35 PM
All the best, sounds like Kerry is on the road to a full recovery and look forward to the days when we can hit the trails with you both again. If you need anything you have a lot of friends in the club so make sure you speak up.

Cheers
Steve

Dru and Kerry
10-01-19, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all of your well wishes. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate them. [emoji4]

See you all soon,
Kerry

Panda
10-01-19, 11:29 PM
Dru and Kerry - I wish you all the best and a very successful surgery ,will catch up with you all on the trail!

David

Goneagain
11-01-19, 03:48 PM
Hi Kerry and Dru,
Sorry to hear about this and sincerely hope you can give us some cheekiness again once you recover. All the very best on the road to recovery,
Best regards, Adrian.

floody
14-01-19, 01:37 PM
All the best Kerry - you and Izzy can compare scars afterwards!

H2Micr0
15-01-19, 02:25 PM
Hi Kerry and Dru

You will triumph over this bump in your life, and come out stronger and more vibrant at the end.

Jeepoz
15-01-19, 03:41 PM
Kerry and Dru, our prayers are with you. Best of luck with the operation.

Dru
31-01-19, 05:44 PM
Surgery went well today about as well as we could hope. It's all watch and monitor for now and Kerry is awake and lucid in ICU. While there is no "out of the woods" until she is out of the woods, it's about as good as it gets at this stage.

Hopefully tomorrow they release her to the ward tomorrow. Then hopefully she can return home early next week.

Thanks for everyone's best wishes, it really helps.

H2Micr0
31-01-19, 06:27 PM
About as good an outcome as you can hope for at this stage Dru.

Please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Kerry.

Cheers Ben

SnakeDoctor
31-01-19, 07:19 PM
Surgery went well today about as well as we could hope. It's all watch and monitor for now and Kerry is awake and lucid in ICU. While there is no "out of the woods" until she is out of the woods, it's about as good as it gets at this stage.

Hopefully tomorrow they release her to the ward tomorrow. Then hopefully she can return home early next week.

Thanks for everyone's best wishes, it really helps.

Thank you for posting the update Dru, best wishes from us all here for Kerry and yourself.

Jeepmuggle
31-01-19, 09:46 PM
All the best to you both and hoping for a really positive outcome to the surgery. Cheers, Darrell

Dave
31-01-19, 10:35 PM
Fabulous news Dru!

Best wishes to Kerry and you, and hope tomorrow and next week go just as well!!

Dave

Goneagain
01-02-19, 11:17 AM
That great news Dru!
Best wishes to you both and let it continue.
Best regards, Adrian.

StewartV
04-02-19, 02:25 PM
Great news Dru. All the very best to both of you

Dru
04-02-19, 02:36 PM
Stereotactic retrosigmoid craniotomy for petrous meningioma - bloody medicos, that's a mouthful. Try it this way:
Stereotactic: robotics, machines wired in to the MRI, microscopic surgery
Retrosigmoid: minimally invasive - keyhole surgery
Craniotomy: well most of us would get this bit "through the scull"
Petrous: I think it's the location, at the base of the scull near the brain stem (and hard to get to!)
Meningioma: tumour of the meninges which is the membrane that is around the brain. In this case the tumour clutched around three nerves but particularly the trigeminal nerve (face sensations)

Anyway the surgery went really well, all 5 hours of it, and while it seemed I had temporarily moved in to the intensive care unit Kerry was passed through to ward in not much more than 24 hours. Felt like a life time. Noisy scary places with incredible people. 3 days in ward and now, ta-dah!, she's home.

We have already realised that recovery has it's ups and downs, Kerry has done it tough during the night time with a cough that tries blow the top of her head off. And given the neurosurgeon's response, I'm not sure that is much of an over-reaction. But pain meds are back on and we are home caring for a bit. We are really chuffed she's back home. And she tends to do well during the day. :-) Plenty of sleep mostly.

We wont know about any further radiosurgery (it is stereotactic too) until pathology results are back. I imagine we will be monitoring for well, ever, no bad thing.

I don't think we'll be back on the trails for a bit - 4 to 6 weeks recovery but we'll see about 4wd in it's own time.

Kerry is on Facebook if you want to say hi. Sincere thanks to all the well wishers, I can't ever explain how much this helps.

All the best Sydney Jeep Club.

Dru'n'Kerry
(exhausted but very relieved)

Flatfender
04-02-19, 03:25 PM
Fantastic news Dru!
Here's wishing Kerry all the very best for her ongoing speedy recovery.

Ian W.

Hitesh
04-02-19, 03:59 PM
Hey - great news and plenty of resting for the 2 of you and the Jeep [emoji592]

Hitesh

Khabbazeh
06-02-19, 12:57 AM
Great news, happy to hear all went well :)

Wish you a smooth and quick recovery

Cheers
Khaled