PDA

View Full Version : Tech help dana 30 front

sasjeep
16-07-06, 07:51 PM
Hey guys ?. What does it mean if there is greese running out from the seal where the universal meets the axle housing ( dana 30 front on the short side). Also the caps on the universal have blown off. I heard a ungodly sound like I run over some roofing tin when driving home, then it seemed fine. I drove the rest of the way home witch is about 60k. The next morn I saw the grease. Also I had parked with one wheel higher then the other and the seal seemed to be pulled away from the housing around 25mm. Was not sure if that just what they do or not, have never looked before

Steve F
16-07-06, 08:37 PM
That isn't a true seal, the axle seal is up in the housing not at the end of the axle tube. What you're seeing there is basically a basic seal to keep rocks out and that's about it. Sounds like the grease is probably from the uni if you've blown the caps off. Replace the uni and all should be cool.

Easiest thing to do is pull the axle, just take the wheel off, the three bolts that hold the hub on, tap the bolts before they are all the way out to release the hub. Then you can pull the axle and hub at the same time and check the spline end of the axle. You can also shine a torch in the axle tub and see if there is oil running down the inside of it.

Cheers
Steve

Wooders
16-07-06, 09:36 PM
Sas,

Steve is right - the "seal" on the axle shaft is not really a seal at all - although it does hold mud inside the tubes really well.
If there's a lek it will be your inner seal that is leaking - and that "grease" is probably your differential oil.

As for the decapped uni - driving 60k's would not have done thtose axle shaft ears any good.
make sure you check then CAREFULLY for damage or you'll be replaceing the unis again sooner.

sasjeep
16-07-06, 10:36 PM
Thank you again for the help. Can I put the 716 uni in the standered ears?