PDA

View Full Version : NSW Outback and Opals - July 2020

Dave
07-12-19, 08:44 PM
Final decision, following the National Cabinet meeting yesterday, with South Australia still saying that they plan to open their border on 20 July - which is too late for us, and may not even happen if the situation in Vic gets worse - its time to accept that we will only be doing an Outback NSW trip. I added the "opals" as we will go to White Cliffs and Lightning Ridge. Prepare to do all your Christmas shopping in one trip!

The Outback NSW plan is not as challenging or remote as the SA plan was, but we will still be out of Sydney, on dirt roads, seeing wide open spaces and camping! (And we will be a bit closer to 'civilisation' if anyone should fall ill...)

The plan is:

Day 1 Saturday 11 - Sydney to Cobar via Mudgee and Dubbo 685km
Day 2 Sunday 12 July - Cobar to Broken Hill via Ivanhoe and Menindee 593km
Day 3 Monday 13 July – Around Broken Hill Take the day to see the sights, Silverton, Mundi Mundi Plains, RFDS Base etc 100km
Day 4 Tuesday 14 July - Broken Hill to White Cliffs via Mutawintji National Park 272km - Sightseeing around White Cliffs for the afternoon. Buy some Opal and tour an Opal mine.
Day 5 Wednesday 15 July – White Cliffs to Tibooburra via Milparinka 270km
Day 6 Thursday 16 July – Tibooburra to Wanaaring 234km
Day 7 Friday 17 July – Wanaaring to Bourke 251km
Day 8 Saturday 18 July – Bourke to Grawin “Club in the Scrub” via Brewarrina and the Glengarry Hilton 215km
Day 9 Sunday 19 July – Grawin to Lightning Ridge 60km
Day 10 Monday 20 July – Around Lightning Ridge - There is a lot to see around Lightning Ridge, and you could buy more opal… 50km
Day 11 Tuesday 21 July – Lightning Ridge to Tamworth via Walgett, and Narrabri 412km
Day 12 Wednesday 22 July – Tamworth to Gloucester via The Thunderbolts Way 185km
Day 13 Thursday 23 July – Gloucester to Sydney - An easy drive home via The Bucketts Way 263km

Total Trip Distance Sydney to Sydney = 3590km (3700km with side trips)

I have emailed everyone with the new plans (See Page 7 of this thread). If anyone else is interested please PM me with your email address, although we are really at cut off time as I am finalising bookings today...

I reckon we will still have a great trip! Please let me know if you have any questions or want to change your plans. Oh and CAMPER TRAILERS are OKAY - as long as they are proper offroad trailers ready for rough dirt tracks!

Please Consider! To go we need AT LEAST 3 vehicles. Maximum number would be 12 to 15 given that these two options are a little less 'unforgiving' than the original Simpson Desert plan.
Please post below if you would like to come, or if you are thinking about it. I will generate a Definites and a Maybes list. If you would like a, Itinerary, please PM me with your email address.

Thanks,
Dave

Definites
1. DaveG
2. Timothy + 1 (confirmed)
3. Eva & Chris K (confirmed)
4. GregD (confirmed)
5. EdD & Sarah (confirmed)
6. GaryC +1 (confirmed)
7. DanielD +1 (confirmed)
8. AliH (confirmed)
9. BrianM +1 maybe (confirmed)

Maybes
Mariner & MarahH

Thanks,
Dave

Timothy
09-12-19, 01:11 AM

Looks amazing - Hi Guys, i just joined new and looks like a good trip, I have done the desert ride when i was in middle east - Sweihan and Liwa- it just pure desert for KM & KM, run the tires at 8-10PSi

Please advise the date for this trip, really looking forward to this one

Dave
09-12-19, 07:15 AM

Looks amazing - Hi Guys, i just joined new and looks like a good trip, I have done the desert ride when i was in middle east - Sweihan and Liwa- it just pure desert for KM & KM, run the tires at 8-10PSi

Please advise the date for this trip, really looking forward to this one

Hi Tim,
This will probably be very different from what you saw in the Middle East, and I’m going to have to google those places now haha.
For all the dates, please see the first post in this thread.
If you’d like a full itinerary, please PM me with your email address.
Thanks,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goneagain
11-12-19, 10:33 AM
Hi Dave, Yes 3rd time lucky.

Count me in please, Regards Adrian.

C&E Ksiazek
11-12-19, 12:26 PM
Hi Dave, Oh yes!!! Could you please add me to the list. Thanks Eva

Dave
11-12-19, 10:13 PM
Adrian and Eva on the list!
:)

Greg D
12-12-19, 09:28 PM
Dave,
count me in for this. Looking forward to getting past Poeppel Corner this time.
And, I’ll have a new radio by then ! ����
Greg

Dave
12-12-19, 10:48 PM
Dave,
count me in for this. Looking forward to getting past Poeppel Corner this time.
And, I’ll have a new radio by then ! ����
Greg

Awesome Greg, I'm hoping I'll get as far as Poepple haha. You beat me there and back last time!

Thanks,
Dave

Mariner
15-01-20, 05:17 PM
Gday Dave. Hope u have been well. Been thinking of this trip since the last one.
Can you put me down as a maybe at the moment. Still have to sort out dates and a few suspension issues.

Dave
15-01-20, 06:16 PM
Gday Dave. Hope u have been well. Been thinking of this trip since the last one.
Can you put me down as a maybe at the moment. Still have to sort out dates and a few suspension issues.

Sure thing, added to maybes!
Thanks,
Dave

Dave
09-02-20, 01:49 PM
Hi All,

Just an update 'chat'.

Had a bit more interest in the trip at the first meeting of the year, so I am expecting a full convoy of 10 Jeeps (maybe we can squeeze in a couple more if we need to). Going to be another awesome trip (as long as it doesn't rain way out west like it did last year)

A couple of people have told me that they have been booking cabins already, and that some places are already fully booked. That really surprised me as I usually book over Easter with no problems.

Anyway, I have booked a cabin for GregD and myself (separate beds thankyou :)) in Cobar for Saturday 11 July, and I have also booked in Broken Hill for Sunday 12 July. Both places had plenty of availability, and in fact Broken Hill said I was the first person to book a cabin there.
I hope that those who have booked, have the correct date and place?

Days 1 & 2 Saturday 11 & Sunday 12 July - Sydney to Broken Hill via Cobar

Night

Location and Contact

11 Jul

Cobar Caravan Park, 101 Marshall Street Cobar – Ph 02 6836 2425.

12 Jul

Broken Hill Tourist Park, 142 Rakow Street, Broken Hill - Ph 08 8087 3841 /
1800 803 842. Camp sites and cabins available.

I will book all the rest of the camp sites for all of us as per the Itinerary later on. I am planning to camp everywhere we go after Broken Hill, and in some places camping is the only option.

If you wish to try for other accommodation at eg Wilpena Pound, Copley, Mungerannie, Birdsville, Innaminka, Tibooburra, White Cliffs, Nyngan all the contact details are in the itinerary, please make sure you cross reference the dates.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
10-02-20, 02:46 PM
Ps, Cobar called me back today to confirm my booking, and added that anyone else booking should say they are with the Sydney Jeep Club group to get a 10% discount!

Nice :)

BrianM
11-02-20, 08:13 AM
Hi Dave .
As Discussed plan to come with my camper
by bass desert spend extra night at Birdsville.
Cheers.
Brian,

Dave
11-02-20, 09:43 AM
Hi Dave .
As Discussed plan to come with my camper
by bass desert spend extra night at Birdsville.
Cheers.
Brian,

Thanks Brian,
Added!

Dru
26-02-20, 09:00 AM
Checking in on the current river flooding and while the flooding in western Qld seems a potential concern I think it is coming up OK.

The flooding in St George will continue in to NSW but generally feeds down into Menindi - as long as water has backed off below road/weir level should actually be a good thing. Cooper is also picking up a bit but again not likely an impact on this trip.

Some minor flooding in Bedourie (north of Birdsville) which likely have little impact and likely too early to be a bother.

Dave
26-02-20, 11:01 AM
Hi Dru,

I know, I'm a bit of a compulsive watcher of the river conditions through the BOM. For our trip the ones that need to stay low are Eyre Creek and the Warburton River.

If there is a flood on the Warburton - http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDS60250/IDS60250.517013.plt.shtml - then we can't get to the K1 Line (the Warburton crossing was closed all of last year)

If Eyre Creek is flooded - http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ60295.html#Georgina - then we can't get to Birdsville from Poepple Corner.

Hopefully, if there isn't a massive rainfall/flood event like in February last year in Western Qld, we should be okay.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
01-03-20, 04:28 PM
Hi All,

Last week I sent a group email including a Registration Form - so I have everyone's full details and can go ahead and make all the camping bookings.

I also asked if you could let me know if you have already booked other accommodation or would prefer to camp at Wilpena, Copley, Mungerannie, Birdsville, Innaminka, Tibooburra, White Cliffs and Nyngan, so I know how many sites to book.

I've heard back from half of us, if everyone else could email me back with that info, or bring it hard copy on Wednesday to the meeting, that would be great!

Any questions, please let me know. Just over 4 months to go :)

Dave

jeepney
16-03-20, 10:41 PM
Hi Dave, I and my friend would like to join this iconic trip if there's still room for 1 more Jeep. I'll contact Birdsville and buy the Desert Parks Pass once my spot is confirmed.

Dave
17-03-20, 09:21 AM
Hi Dave, I and my friend would like to join this iconic trip if there's still room for 1 more Jeep. I'll contact Birdsville and buy the Desert Parks Pass once my spot is confirmed.

Hi James,

It'll be great to have you along! Just make sure that Grand Cherokee of yours is in tip top condition before we set off as it can be a hard trip on vehicles!

I'll send you an Itinerary and Registration Form and any other information from home this evening, then you can make any bookings that you want in Cobar and Broken Hill, and then yes everyone needs to pay a deposit with Birdsville. Not advising anyone to get their Desert Parks Pass just yet, can do that in early June.

Thanks and talk soon I hope!

Dave

...and with that we are back to 15 people (or $15 per person at Wilpena :))

jeepney
17-03-20, 09:41 PM
Thanks Dave. Will do prepare. Don't want to have a breakdown and delay the group or pay expensive towing fee.

Dave
22-03-20, 12:08 PM
Hi All,

I did hear back from White Cliffs caravan park. Their camping fee has gone up to $20 per site. On the flip side we are now back up to 10 Jeeps and 15 people as JamesM and friend have joined us, so Wilpena Pound has dropped to $15 per person.

In case you have been following the desert conditions, the desert officially reopened for the year on 16 March. However because of the rain in February, the Warburton Crossing (our way in to the desert from Mungerannie) and Eyre Creek (our way out again) are flooded and closed at the moment. As long as there is no more rain in the next few months they should have well and truly dried out by the time we go.

And of course we will have to take into account the travel advise from the government. Currently advising against all non essential travel. Tasmania, Northern Territory and South Australia now require 2 weeks isolation. Will the rest of the mainland states close? Will they open again by July? If they don’t then we will not be able to do this trip. Maybe we could do something NSW only... Lots to wait and see about this year [emoji852]

Thanks,
Dave

Greg D
02-04-20, 05:18 PM
Count me in for whatever is on. In 90 days I am going to want to go somewhere, anywhere!����

Dave
02-04-20, 09:25 PM
Count me in for whatever is on. In 90 days I am going to want to go somewhere, anywhere!����

Yes!

Goneagain
02-04-20, 11:16 PM
I am still in!!

jeepney
07-04-20, 08:46 AM
That trip within NSW is still a good alternative, Dave. I'm still in.... hope we're still "3rd Time Lucky".

Dave
07-04-20, 09:31 AM
That trip within NSW is still a good alternative, Dave. I'm still in.... hope we're still "3rd Time Lucky".

I am still in!!

IF we are allowed, it would be great to do something! To be decided in early June I think. Hopefully we will have a bit more info by then and can actually make an informed decision!

Dave

Dave
08-04-20, 07:22 PM
Hi All,

This afternoon we all received an email from Birdsville Caravan Park advising:

"Due to the public health directives put in place for COVID-19, non-essential travel must be deferred for the foreseeable future. Because of this, we are cancelling and refunding all accommodation booked for the remainder of this calendar year. We are sad to do so, however this is necessary to protect the safety of all."
To receive your refund please email:
refunds@diamantina.qld.gov.au
with the following information:
- Reservation Number
- Full Name
- Best Contact Number

I have not asked for my refund yet. I was surprised that they are closing for the rest of the year so I emailed back to ask about July - it's still 3 months away.
The Big Red Bash (10 days before we were to get there) is cancelled. But if the caravan park is closed then they are also implying no accommodation for the September Birdsville Races as well... So I am waiting for a reply.

I also contacted Wilpena Pound (South Australia). They are closed until June 30 and will advise. If South Australia is open and travel restrictions eased, we still have options!

I will advise everyone when I hear back from Birdsville re applying for refunds.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
09-04-20, 04:52 PM
Hi All,

Another update.

I heard back from Birdsville and I contacted Diamantina Shire Council - who will give us our refunds on application.

They confirmed that Birdsville is basically shut for the rest of the year. No Big Red Bash in July, No Birdsville Races in September. No visitors staying in the caravan park.

So, our trip to Queensland is CANCELLED. We will not be able to go up the K1 Line to Poepple Corner and on to Birdsville. Please do as your email from Birdsville said and claim your refund.

BUT, as I said yesterday, Wilpena Pound (South Australia) is still only closed to the end of June. I am going to hope that in July the SA State border will have reopened and we will still be able to go West from Broken Hill and on to the Flinders Ranges, Lake Eyre, Innaminka.
I will re plan the itinerary and email everyone with the new details. I quite understand if anyone wants to drop off the trip list if we can't go to Poepple Corner, but I reckon we could still have a great trip!

IF South Australia is still off limits in July, I already started thinking about a trip just within Northern NSW (if we are allowed out of Sydney), and I will email that to everyone as well. Some light reading for everyone if nothing else.

So, third time NOT so lucky, but hopefully we will still be able to do something in July!

Very sorry,
Dave

Steve F
09-04-20, 05:31 PM
Keep us updated Dave, getting itchy feet and with no desert it means campers are Ok again (I assume), might find us taking the spot of someone who drops out if work allows.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
09-04-20, 06:28 PM
Keep us updated Dave, getting itchy feet and with no desert it means campers are Ok again (I assume), might find us taking the spot of someone who drops out if work allows.

Cheers
Steve

Sounds good, actually thinking if we can go to south Australia to head to Arkaroola amongst other places. You can show us around if if if!!
Going to play with itinerary over the weekend, will email around, but would be camper friendly!
Dave

Mariner
10-04-20, 06:09 PM
Hi All,

Another update.

I heard back from Birdsville and I contacted Diamantina Shire Council - who will give us our refunds on application.

They confirmed at Birdsville is basically shut for the rest of the year. No Big Red Bash in July, No Birdsville Races in September. No visitors staying in the caravan park.

So, our trip to Queensland is CANCELLED. We will not be able to go up the K1 Line to Poepple Corner and on to Birdsville. Please do as your email from Birdsville said and claim your refund.

BUT, as I said yesterday, Wilpena Pound (South Australia) is still only closed to the end of June. I am going to hope that in July the SA State border will have reopened and we will still be able to go West from Broken Hill and on to the Flinders Ranges, Lake Eyre, Innaminka.
I will re plan the itinerary and email everyone with the new details. I quite understand if anyone wants to drop off the trip list if we can't go to Poepple Corner, but I reckon we could still have a great trip!

IF South Australia is still off limits in July, I already started thinking about a trip just within Northern NSW (if we are allowed out of Sydney), and I will email that to everyone as well. Some light reading for everyone if nothing else.

So, third time NOT so lucky, but hopefully we will still be able to do something in July!

Very sorry,
Dave

So is the hole of Birdsville closed all year or just the caravan park?

Dave
10-04-20, 06:29 PM
So is the hole of Birdsville closed all year or just the caravan park?

Short answer, don’t know. At the moment you can’t cross the border to Qld at all. The caravan park is closed for the rest of 2020, and Diamantina shire has cancelled the July Big Red Bash and the Birdsville races in September are also cancelled. These are the two events that happen in Birdsville each year. Birdsville caravan park is the only campground. Birdsville hotel website only has accommodation for essential travellers (not tourists), so no accommodation for us in town! I’d say they are doing their best to discourage all visitors.

So, got two alternate plans in the works, one for NSW and South Aus (if we are allowed in) and one for NSW only.

More soon,
Dave

Dave
11-04-20, 03:53 PM
Dear ex Simpson Desert Trippers,

Following the conversations above, and Dru is quite right about state borders, with the closure of Birdsville - by closure I mean the caravan park is closed for the rest of 2020, the Birdsville Hotel is closed except to essential workers (not tourists) and the Qld border is closed. We cannot realistically plan to go into Qld this year. But still hoping to be driving Sydney to Cobar in three months today!

IF Qld and Birdsville change their minds again, we can re-visit the idea of running the original trip, but we would have to know by early June (to order Desert Parks Passes) and it does not sound likely.

So I have put together 2 new plans, assuming that Qld is off limits. I have emailed these 2 new plans to all the people in our trip list, and if anyone else is interested please PM me with your email address.

Trip 1 - Outback NSW and SA would take us to South Australia IF we are allowed to go, following the original timetable and using our existing bookings in Cobar, Broken Hill and Wilpena. Wilpena Pound has reopened. IF the SA Border is opened as well, we would go! We would then spend two nights in the Flinders Ranges before going to Arkaroola for two nights in the Gammon Ranges (I have never been but it looks good), then back to Copley, Lake Eyre, Marree, Mungerannie, and then take the Walkers Crossing track across the Sturt Stony Desert to Innaminka. From there back on original timetable to Tibooburra, White Cliffs and home through Nyngan. Same number of days as the original plan, just no Qld, and we would not need Desert Parks Passes. The dates that we would be in Copley and Mungerannie would change and we would have to let them know, but I’m sure we could do that on 1st July once we know if the trip is allowed or not. I would also extend our booking at Wilpena for a second night, and make reservations at Arkaroola.

BUT, if we are not allowed to leave NSW in July (and if we can travel within the state):

Trip 2 - Outback NSW Only would take us to Cobar and Broken Hill using our existing bookings, then north to White Cliffs, Tibooburra, and east to Wanaaring, Bourke then on to Lightning Ridge and home through Tamworth and Gloucester. Not nearly as adventurous as the original Simpson Desert plan or the new Sturt Stony Desert plan, but still out of town, wide open spaces, camping and dirt roads! I would cancel our SA bookings, extend booking in Broken Hill for an extra night, and re-book in White Cliffs, Tibooburra etc…

I know that neither of these is what we originally planned, but IF we are allowed to travel at all in July, these are the best I can think of with the bookings and info we have so far. I hope the plans sound okay.

If you no longer want to come along on any trip, please let me know and I will take you off the list. I hope that most or all of us will still want to get out of town – and hopefully out of NSW – and that we will be allowed to go!

We will make the decision which trip we will do later, if any are allowed. Hopefully we will know what we can do by 1st July at the very latest. I will keep everyone updated if I hear anything.

Fingers crossed,
Dave

JaredC
12-04-20, 02:14 PM
Hi Dave, not sure if this might help, but if heading to SA, willow springs station is a good place to camp and their Skytrec track is awesome, full day out with awesome views, be a good 2 night camp and day out

Dru
12-04-20, 02:57 PM
Love your work, Dave.

:encouragement:

Dave
12-04-20, 04:29 PM
Hi Dave, not sure if this might help, but if heading to SA, willow springs station is a good place to camp and their Skytrec track is awesome, full day out with awesome views, be a good 2 night camp and day out

Thanks Jared, not far from Sacred Canyon, Worth looking in to!

Dave

JaredC
12-04-20, 04:33 PM
Thanks Jared, not far from Sacred Canyon, Worth looking in to!

Dave

No worries, it’s definitely a place to see

Dave
08-05-20, 04:52 PM
GOOD News everyone. In the easing of restrictions announced today, caravan parks will be able to reopen in Stage 2 - so in June I'd guess - and state borders are expected to re-open at about the same time, or at least by July.

So, even if South Australia does not re-open, we will definitely be able to travel through NSW. My preference would be South Aus, Flinders Ranges, Arkaroola, Lake Eyre, Innaminka...

Lets just hope it all goes to plan and things re-open! Keep that curve flat.

When we hear more - hopefully in June - I will confirm with everyone what you want to do, and do some re-booking.

Yay!
Dave

jeepney
08-05-20, 07:13 PM
Love your work, Dave.

:encouragement:
Agree Dru. The best Trip Leader - planning, organisation, coordination, communication etc. I had joined 3 trips with him before. If allowed, I would give him top marks.

Dave
10-05-20, 06:39 PM
More good news!! Both Wilpena Pound and Arkaroola re open tomorrow 11 May. That takes care of our first four nights West of Broken Hill! If caravan parks and campgrounds re-open as planned in Phase 2 (June) then all our stops are okay!

Now we just need the SA border to reopen by start of July and we are all systems go for the NSW and SA trip!

Can hardly wait, 9 weeks tonight and we should be having dinner in Broken Hill!

Dave

Dave
11-05-20, 11:55 AM
Got a call from Cobar Caravan Park this morning, asking if our group wanted to keep its bookings.
I said YES! As long as we are allowed to travel out of Sydney, we will be there. We should be there 2 months Today!!

I gave Broken Hill a ring to confirm our plans to get there, and the possibility that we may want to add a day if we are not allowed to go to South Australia. They said there should not be a problem.

I guess at this point if there is anyone now not wanting to come on a trip to somewhere... while they are giving full refunds...

Hope everyone is still up for a trip!
Dave

Dave
14-05-20, 12:34 PM
Border News in the ABC today - 14 April:

NSW Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres told News Corp: "I cannot see a reason why other states would not road-map to the 1st of July as a logical starting point for where all of those border restrictions could be removed and allow people to start moving across the country."

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she would not assess border policies until around July 10 but only if transmission remained low in NSW and Victoria. - which for us just confirms that we won't be going to Qld. (Update, on 18 May she said Qld won't re open until September)

The SA Government will not discuss easing border restrictions before June 8. - which gives me hope! We plan to drive into SA on 13 July.

Keep the curve flat :)
Dave

SnakeDoctor
19-05-20, 10:47 AM
Good luck with getting this one back on the cards Dave, there's some promising news getting around.

Dave
19-05-20, 11:55 AM
Good luck with getting this one back on the cards Dave, there's some promising news getting around.

Yes, NSW nearly 100%, SA sounds very hopeful... Qld no chance. Know that there are quite a few people wanting to get out somewhere!

Dave

Dave
20-05-20, 12:26 PM
Right, in the news today, from June 1st we know that we can at least do the Outback NSW Trip!

ABC - "Premier Gladys Berejiklian has encouraged people interstate to book a holiday in NSW, after announcing coronavirus travel restrictions would be scrapped from June 1."

Now we just need South Australia to come to the party so we can go there! I have contacted Copley and Mungerannie with our new dates...

Fingers crossed!

Dave

Gary Chalmers
21-05-20, 09:41 AM
Right, in the news today, from June 1st we know that we can at least do the Outback NSW Trip!

ABC - "Premier Gladys Berejiklian has encouraged people interstate to book a holiday in NSW, after announcing coronavirus travel restrictions would be scrapped from June 1."

Now we just need South Australia to come to the party so we can go there! I have contacted Copley and Mungerannie with our new dates...

Fingers crossed!

Dave

Hi Dave me and my partner would like to join you guys on this trip to SA. The itinerary sound great. Let me know. I hope I'm posting this comment to the right location

Gary Chalmers
21-05-20, 09:45 AM
Hi Dave, this may be the correct spot to reply to your suggested trip to Outback NSW and SA. My partner and I would love to join the trip. Let me know Gary Chalmers

Gary Chalmers
21-05-20, 12:06 PM
Hello Dave,

I posted a comment earlier but being unused to this forum wasn't sure whether I did it correctly. My partner & I would like to come along on this planned rip to Outback NSW & SA. It sounds like it'd be a great trip. Let me know how numbers go and we'll keep in touch. Regards Gary

Dave
21-05-20, 12:46 PM
Hello Dave,

I posted a comment earlier but being unused to this forum wasn't sure whether I did it correctly. My partner & I would like to come along on this planned rip to Outback NSW & SA. It sounds like it'd be a great trip. Let me know how numbers go and we'll keep in touch. Regards Gary

Hi Gary,

Yep, this is the right place, but I am at work and only check the site if I am on a break. Adding you to the "Definitely Coming" list!

We still don't know if we will be allowed to travel into South Australia, but we can hope!

I'll send you both Plans (NSW+SA and NSW only) from home this evening - if I have your email address? Could you Private Message it to me (just click on my name to the left of this textbox) just in case?

As long as we can travel, I guess we will meet up in Mudgee - I usually stop for morning tea (and Mead) at the Honey Haven on my way West :)

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
21-05-20, 09:16 PM
Hi Gary, am home but just checked and I don't have your email address. Could you send me a Private Message with your email and I will send you the full Itineraries?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
22-05-20, 12:00 PM
Movement in the last few days. Unfortunately Kevin had to pull out of the trip due to changed work commitments, but we have picked up two new couples with GaryC and DanielD and partners, bringing us up to 11 definite Jeeps and 2 still in the maybe list.

Just hoping that SA does not go the way of Qld and put the opening of the border back to after July!

Still hoping :)

Dave

Dave
27-05-20, 09:17 AM
Another update from out west. The Musicians Club reopens on 1 June! Best place to go for dinner in Broken Hill. The one positive if we are forced to stay in NSW is that we can go there twice!!

Think I am looking forward to getting on the road...

Six weeks or so to go.

Dave

Dave
04-06-20, 02:07 PM
South Australia Roads and National Parks are starting to stress me! Today they have posted this:

Level Post Bay Track PAR - Closed from 2 June 2020 until further notice for public safety. No camping at Level Post Bay.
Walkers Crossing Public Access Route – Closed until further notice
Warburton Crossing - OPEN to 4WD Drive to track conditions, Caution at water crossings, bulldust holes and areas subject to ponding and sandy areas

Level Post Bay is the track to Lake Eyre. Walkers Crossing is still closed. And just to tease us the Warburton is open, which would have been our route to Poepple Corner and Qld...

I know we still don't know if we will even be allowed into SA, let alone Qld, but it seems like they are conspiring to stop us... :(

Dave

Dru
04-06-20, 03:38 PM
South Australia Roads and National Parks are starting to stress me! Today they have posted this:

Level Post Bay Track PAR - Closed from 2 June 2020 until further notice for public safety. No camping at Level Post Bay.
Walkers Crossing Public Access Route – Closed until further notice
Warburton Crossing - OPEN to 4WD Drive to track conditions, Caution at water crossings, bulldust holes and areas subject to ponding and sandy areas

Level Post Bay is the track to Lake Eyre. Walkers Crossing is still closed. And just to tease us the Warburton is open, which would have been our route to Poepple Corner and Qld...

I know we still don't know if we will even be allowed into SA, let alone Qld, but it seems like they are conspiring to stop us... :(

Dave

Aaaaargh! How painful!

Dave
10-06-20, 05:22 PM
Because replanning seems to be a thing now, like social distancing and protesting in large groups...

If we CAN go to South Australia, but if Muloorina Station / Lake Eyre and Walkers Crossing remain closed (as above), I have another option to replace the nights at Muloorina and Mungerannie, and still do some pretty special desert 4WDing.

Check out https://www.naturefoundation.org.au/our-properties/witchelina-nature-reserve

Sounds awesome!

Dave

RD0401
10-06-20, 08:05 PM
Looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Brian
11-06-20, 10:46 AM
Hi Dave.
Not sure now if i can make it have day surgery applied for awaiting date some time in the next 30 days.
Bound to happen during trip.
At this stage it would be better to say no and give someone else a spot then to have to pull out at short notice
and leave a vacant spot.
If I find out early enough will advise.
One day i will get there.
Cheers.
Brian.

Dave
11-06-20, 01:07 PM
Thanks Brian,

I'll leave you on the list, but perhaps bump you back to Maybe for now? Then you can let me know.

If it happens soon you may still be able to come along. Or if they can't do it till August...

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
11-06-20, 04:27 PM
More good news :

Premier Gladys Berejiklian made the announcement this morning, that up to 20 people would be able to gather in groups outside from June 13. South Australia already allows groups of 20.

So our group of 17 (at the moment) is now allowed :)

Still waiting for the border to open...

Dave
13-06-20, 05:33 PM
Hi All,

As you probably heard on the news last night, South Australia is not planning to re-open its border until 20 July, which is too late for us. We were supposed to be driving from Broken Hill to Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges one month from today, 13 July.

Which means that unless they change their minds again in the next week or two and bring the opening forward, it looks like the only trip we will be able to do is Outback NSW.
I am going to wait for another two weeks, then if there are no further changes to the border (ie South Aus will not open before 20 July) I will cancel our bookings in South Australia, and re-book as per the NSW Outback plan I sent a month or so ago – and emailed to everyone again.

In two weeks I will send another email to confirm what I am doing bookings wise. IF by some miracle South Australia decides to open by 13 July, then my plan would still be to go there!
BUT I think it is getting more likely that it will be NSW only, so I will let you know the new bookings and costs, and let you know what I have cancelled or changed the date of – eg we would still go to White Cliffs and Tibooburra, but sooner. So if you have booked the Underground Motel at White Cliffs you would need to change the date…

The NSW trip is not as long as the original Simpson Desert plan or the South Australia plan, it is 13 days instead of 15 and about 4000km down from 5000km. It is also not as remote, and unless conditions are bad the driving probably won’t be as challenging. Probably similar to the Darling River Run trip we did last year.

If anyone no longer wants to come along, I do understand. Please let me know.

That said I am REALLY looking forward to getting out of Sydney! It is still going to be great fun, and we are going to see some real NSW outback bush and towns and some places that are not quite towns! If you haven’t been out West, it will surprise you!

If you DO still want to come along, please let me know, as I haven’t heard from about half of our group in months. We have 10 vehicles and 17 people on the Definite list – although I haven’t received GaryC’s rego form back with his details, or heard from him since he posted up to come along.

We also have three Maybe’s, and I haven’t heard from SteveF or MartinH since they posted up. I have emailed a blank rego form for Gary, Steve and Martin to send back if they do want to come along. As this trip will be a bit less demanding, more Jeeps will be okay – as long as we are allowed more than 20 people in a group by mid July ��

In two weeks I will send another email to confirm what I am doing bookings wise. IF by some miracle South Australia decides to open by 13 July, then my plan would still be to go there! I will need final numbers and group details.

Hope to hear from everyone soon,

Dave

Mariner
14-06-20, 04:00 PM
Gday Dave.
Can you please put me on the maybe list for the NSW trip as atm I’m planing on waiting till the borders open as seeing south Australia So expecting to leave Sydney on the 28 July. .
I’m planing on using most of your original trip notes up till Marree then heading off on the Oodnadatta track possibly even heading to Uluru for a few days then to mt dare and doing the French line and connecting again with your notes at poppel corner and following your notes again.
Hoping to do it all in 3 weeks.
Any hint or tips for planing would be great.

Dave
14-06-20, 06:18 PM
Gday Dave.
Can you please put me on the maybe list for the NSW trip as atm I’m planing on waiting till the borders open as seeing south Australia So expecting to leave Sydney on the 28 July. .
I’m planing on using most of your original trip notes up till Marree then heading off on the Oodnadatta track possibly even heading to Uluru for a few days then to mt dare and doing the French line and connecting again with your notes at poppel corner and following your notes again.
Hoping to do it all in 3 weeks.
Any hint or tips for planing would be great.

Hi Mariner,

No worries, I'll put you back on the Maybes. I'll email you the plan I have for Uluru etc 2021 as it sounds like you might be going a year early. I think 3 weeks is optimistic unless you are doing more tar and less dirt... It's a long way and it's nice to stop and enjoy from time to time.

Let me know what you decide.

Dave

SnakeDoctor
21-06-20, 09:09 PM
Unfortunately (fortunately?) I am still employed Dave, so i'm definitely unable to make this trip.

Dave
21-06-20, 10:40 PM
Unfortunately (fortunately?) I am still employed Dave, so i'm definitely unable to make this trip.

Oh well, that's a pity, but great news! Next time we'll make it interstate!

Dave

Dave
27-06-20, 02:03 PM
Hi All,

I’m sure we all watched the news of the National Cabinet Meeting last night while holding our breath, as I think that was the last possibility that South Australia might have announced that they would open their border to NSW early. Unfortunately it was not to be, they won’t open before 20 July which is too late for us. There is even the possibility that if the situation in Victoria gets worse then the border closures could be extended. Mariner and Marah dropped back to “maybe” for our trip as they thought they would try to get to South Australia on the 28th. I hope they have more luck, but if you still want to come with us, more than welcome!

It’s time to accept that we are only going to be doing an Outback NSW touring trip in July. Which may actually be a good thing. If worst comes to worst and one of our group becomes ill, we will not be as remote as we would in SA, and much closer to medical facilities. Community transmission is the new thing ☹
As I said two weeks ago, the Outback NSW trip will also be a bit less hard core. Shorter daily drives on probably better tracks, so it’s going to be a bit more of a holiday – and I think I need a holiday!

I am going to call Wilpena, Arkaroola, Copley and Mungerannie – all the places in SA that I had reserved campsites for us, and CANCEL. We will not be coming home through Nyngan, so I will cancel our camp sites there as well

If you had booked other accommodation (eg a motel or cabin) at Wilpena, Arkaroola, Copley, Mungerannie, Innaminka or Nyngan, I suggest you call and cancel those. If you still had accommodation booked in Birdsville, you should cancel that too. I did get my camping refund from Birdsville back in April. I hope everyone else did.

I have reserved Unpowered Camping at all the spots we plan to stop in NSW – I have just emailed everyone with Camping Bookings and Prices. I am going to call White Cliffs and Tibooburra and change the dates that we will be with them. Tibooburra was originally 22 July and White Cliffs 23 July. On our new NSW Outback Itinerary White Cliffs will be 14 July and Tibooburra 15 July. If you had booked at the White Cliffs Underground Motel, you will need to call them and change the date. Same if you booked a cabin at Tibooburra.

I am also going to call Broken Hill. We are staying there on 12 July as per our original plan, but I will add the extra day 13 July to the booking. Our bookings in Cobar on 11 July do not need changing, unless you no longer want to come along.

If you would like to call any of the new places we will be staying – Wanaaring, Bourke, Lightning Ridge, Tamworth, Gloucester – and book other than unpowered camping, please do. And please say you are with the Sydney Jeep Club group so they can adjust the number of campsites we need. All the contact details are in the emailed Camping Bookings and Prices.

What else?

As we won’t be going as far North, days are likely to be cool, and nights COLD. Potentially 0 degrees at night and high teens to low 20’s during the day. Be prepared.

Toilet paper is disappearing from supermarket shelves again. Even though we will now be staying at places with amenities EVERY night, it would be a good idea to bring a supply just in case.

Oh, and as we are spending two nights in the caravan park opposite Lightning Ridge artesian hot pool, bring your swimmers!

Where do you want to meet up on Saturday 11th?

I’m aiming to stop at the Shell Servo at the corner of Magpie Hollow Rd and the Great Western Hwy as you arrive in Lithgow at 9.00am for a coffee. Happy to meet there. Otherwise the Honey Haven just outside Mudgee at about 10.30 for coffee and MEAD!!! 2 Hill End Rd, Mudgee. I’ll aim to leave there around 11.00am and be in Dubbo for lunch, then of course Cobar for the night. I’ll use Channel 15 on the radio (Club Channel) and everyone has my phone number…

Please get in touch if you have any questions or to let me know your plans, and I’m going to start making phone calls next.

Thanks everyone, see you all in 2 weeks today!

Dave

RD0401
27-06-20, 03:22 PM
Hi Dave, We're happy to meet at the Shell Servo. Looking forward to it!

Dave
27-06-20, 03:47 PM
Hi Dave, We're happy to meet at the Shell Servo. Looking forward to it!

Awesome! 2 weeks about now we should be somewhere around Nyngan!

:)

Dave

Dave
29-06-20, 05:10 PM
Right, have made all the cancellations, and all the new camping bookings, so ready to go! If you need to change any non-camping bookings, please don't forget.

Now just have to wait 11 more days...

We briefly dropped down to 9 Jeeps (JamesM's GC is not being reliable), but a couple of hours later we were back up to 10 as Brian will come as far as Bourke before running back to Sydney a few days early for appointments.

So I reckon we will have a great trip! Really, really ready to get out of Sydney and into the wide open spaces.

Let me know if you wish to convoy out to Cobar - I’m aiming to stop at the Shell Servo at the corner of Magpie Hollow Rd and the Great Western Hwy as you arrive in Lithgow at 9.00am for a coffee. Happy to meet there. Otherwise the Honey Haven just outside Mudgee at about 10.30 for coffee and MEAD!!! 2 Hill End Rd, Mudgee. I’ll aim to leave there around 11.00am and be in Dubbo for lunch, then of course Cobar for the night. I’ll use Channel 15 on the radio (Club Channel) and everyone has my phone number… Have heard back from 2 so far.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
30-06-20, 11:47 AM
Yep - made the right decision...

BREAKING South Australia scraps July 20 border opening (https://www.9news.com.au/national/australia-coronavirus-news-live-updates-june-30-victoria-lockdowns-queensland-border-decision-breaking-news/709647a9-127b-4c2b-b64d-9292074785d0#post=0fb3f421-dd14-49a7-a6f7-db9cdcfa625c)
10:29

South Australia will no longer open its borders on July 20 to Victoria.

It is understood reopening the borders to NSW and the ACT was still being considered, but Victorians would not be allowed to enter SA next month.

Dave
08-07-20, 04:30 PM
Hi All,

It’s been pretty quiet for the last week or so, which I hope means everyone is ready to hear West - I am! Just need to put everything in the Jeep!!

I spoke to a few of us on Zoom before the club meeting last Wednesday, and have heard from just about everyone since my emails a week and a half ago. I cancelled all the South Australia bookings, and booked 8 campsites everywhere we are going in NSW after Broken Hill. Brian told me he has booked other accommodation – not camping – everywhere he could which is great. I know that Eva was planning to go to the Underground Motel in White Cliffs back on the old dates (so I have 7 campsites in White Cliffs). I hope everyone has managed to change the dates of any other accommodation you booked as necessary.

We are down to 9 Jeeps as Adrian sent me an email to say he couldn’t come, but we are still at 15 people as Brian’s wife will be joining him (hence the other accommodation :) I reckon we are going to have a great group and a great trip.

Most of us are meeting at the Shell Station at the corner of Magpie Hollow Rd and the Great Western Highway on the approach to Lithgow at 9.00am on Saturday morning.
GarryC lives in Mudgee and will meet us at the Honey Haven just outside Mudgee at about 10.30 for coffee - 2 Hill End Rd, Mudgee. I’ll aim to leave there around 11.00am and be in Dubbo for lunch, then of course Cobar for the night.

We’ll use Channel 15 on the radio (Club Channel) and everyone has my phone number, so hopefully we will all get to Cobar successfully… If anyone is travelling separately, be very careful approaching Cobar around dusk, there are lots of goats that wander onto the road. Beware of kangaroos around dawn and dusk everywhere!

It will be cold, especially at night, I hope it won’t be wet, and we will be able to swim Lightning Ridge – be prepared for anything.

One last thing that I should say, I hope everyone is well! If anyone is feeling ill before leaving Sydney then you should reconsider the trip. Last thing we want is a trail of illness following us through the outback!

See you all on Saturday! Please call if you have any last minute questions.

Dave

atto
09-07-20, 09:22 PM
Hi NSW Outback & Opals Trip Members,
Hoping that you all have a safe & memorable journey. Wishing that we were travelling with you. All the very best.
Kind regards,
Wayne & Julie

Dave
09-07-20, 10:42 PM
Thanks Wayne & Julie, think everyone is looking forward to getting out of town and into the wide open... wish you were coming too!

Dave
11-07-20, 12:13 PM
We’ve made it to Mudgee on a wet Saturday, and the convoy is all together at the Honey Haven for coffee and mead! Weather forecast for Further west, improving!

Goneagain
13-07-20, 06:55 PM
Hi All,
I can't make this trip as Dave has mention, I wish you all the very best trip, please wave to the Wedge Tail eagles for me.
Best regards and have fun,
Adrian.

Dave
24-07-20, 11:54 AM
Hi All,

I hope everyone arrived home safe and has a huge heap of cleaning piled up like I do.

Thank you everyone for coming along, and I hope you all enjoyed the trip as much as I did. We had a great crew, perfect weather, and saw some sights! All up, a great holiday.

I hope everyone stays safe and well now that we are all home, this isn’t the Sydney that most of us left thirteen days ago. Hope to see you all at a club meeting sometime soon!

Best wishes, and thanks again,

Dave

RD0401
25-07-20, 03:17 PM
Awesome trip Dave. Sarah and I really enjoyed it. Great group of people to send some time with. Look forward to another one in the future.