PDA

View Full Version : Central Australia and The Dinosaur Trail – 28 June to 25 July 2021

Dave
30-07-20, 11:14 AM
This trip is still 10 months away - assuming Covid 19 is resolved by then - so plenty of time to think about it. Since 2020 has been so messed up and we haven’t been able to do as many trips as we’d like, the July Touring Trip had to be reorganized three times, we thought we’d go all out for 2021 with one or two BIG trips!
(Assuming that the Covid 19 situation has improved and travel is allowed – the Jeep Jamboree planned for April 2021 has already been postponed to 2022)

Starting with Trip 1 - 4 weeks around Central Australia - west through Tibooburra and Cameron Corner, down the Strzelecki Track to Marree, up the Oodnadatta Track to Oodnadatta, then on to Dalhousie Springs, Mt Dare, Chambers Pillar and Uluru (Ayers Rock). We would then head across to Alice Springs via Kings Canyon and the Western MacDonnell Ranges, then take the Plenty Highway to northern central QLD and spend a few days on the Dinosaur Trail - Boulia, Winton, Richmond and ending up in Hughenden. From there, return to Sydney via Longreach and Charleville, making the whole trip 28 days - 28 June to 25 July Sydney to Sydney. Offroad Camper Trailers welcome!

But wait, there is more.

From the end of the Dinosaur Trail you can join Di and John for Trip 2 – to Cape York and back in July/August. See separate post http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?6174-EOI-Cape-York-2021-July-August

But first, Three States and a Territory - Central Australia and The Dinosaur Trail

Part 1 – Sydney to Yulara (Uluru)
Day 1 – Monday 28 June - Sydney to Byrock via Mudgee, Dubbo and Nyngan - 680km (tar)
Day 2 – Tuesday 29 June - Byrock to Tibooburra via Bourke and Wanaaring - 497km (tar and dirt)
Day 3 – Wednesday 30 June - Tibooburra to Lyndhurst via Cameron Corner and the Strzelecki Track - 576km (dirt)
Day 4 – Thursday 1 July - Lyndhurst to Coward Springs via Maree and the Oodnadatta Track - 210km (tar and dirt)
Day 5 – Friday 2 July - Coward Springs to Oodnadatta via William Creek and Alegebuckina Bridg - 278km (dirt)
Day 6 – Saturday 3 July - Oodnadatta to Dalhousie Springs - 164km (dirt)
Day 7 – Sunday 4 July - Dalhousie Springs to Mt Dare - 69km (dirt)
Day 8 – Monday 5 July - Mt Dare to Chambers Pillar via Finke - 273km (dirt)
Day 9 – Tuesday 6 July - Chambers Pillar to Erldunda - 247km (dirt and tar)
Day 10 – Wednesday 7 July - Erldunda to Yulara and Yulara to Uluru (sunset sightseeing) - 277km (tar)

If you have family that could fly in, they could join you at Yulara for Part 2.

Part 2 – Uluru to Alice Springs via Kings Canyon (Watarrka) and the Western McDonnell Ranges – The Red Centre Way
Day 11 – Thursday 8 July - Sightseeing around Uluru and Kata Tjuta - 120km (tar)
Day 12 – Friday 9 July - Yulara to Watarrka (Kings Canyon) - 303km (tar)
Day 13 – Saturday 10 July - Watarrka to Glen Helen Gorge McDonnell Ranges via Red Centre Way and Gosse Bluff - 237km (dirt & tar)
Day 14 – Sunday 11 July - Glen Helen Gorge to Alice Springs via Ormiston Gorge, Serpentine Gorge, Standley Chasm, Simpsons Gap - 132km (tar)
Day 15 – Monday 12 July - Lay Day / Sightseeing around Alice Springs

If you had family that flew in to Yulara, they could fly home from Alice Springs.

Note, if you only have three weeks to spare and wish to return to Sydney early - you MAY choose to return direct:
Either Coober Pedy, Port Augusta, Mildura, Wagga Wagga = 2773km
Or Coober Pedy, Port Augusta, Broken Hill, Cobar, Dubbo = 2784km
Either way 4 to 5 days depending on driving style. Total = 19 or 20 Days Sydney to Sydney.

But, we’d much rather that everyone continue on for:

Part 3 – Alice Springs to the The Dinosaur Trail
Day 16 – Tuesday 13 July - Alice Springs to The Gemtree via the Plenty Hwy - 137km (tar)
Day 17 – Wednesday 14 July - The Gemtree to Tobermorey Station via Jervois - 421km (dirt)
Day 18 – Thursday 15 July - Tobermorey Station to Boulia - 249km (dirt & tar)
Day 19 – Friday 16 July - Boulia to Winton plus the Age of Dinosaurs Museum - 410km (tar)
Day 20 – Saturday 17 July - Around Winton - the Dinosaur Stampede at Lark Quarry Conservation Park - 220km (tar)
Day 21 – Sunday 18 July - Winton to Richmond - 229km (tar)
Day 22 – Monday 19 July - Around Richmond - 50km (tar)
Day 23 – Tuesday 20 July - Richmond to Hughenden and around town - 216km (tar)

If you have another three weeks to spare, from Hughenden, Di and John are going to head North and do Cape York!

Part 4 - Return to Sydney
Day 24 – Wednesday 21 July - Hughendon to Longreach via Muttaburra – where the Muttaburrasaurus was found - 331km (tar)
Day 25 – Thursday 22 July - Around Longreach - the Qantas Museum and the Stockman's Hall of Fame - 50km (tar)
Day 26 – Friday 23 July - Longreach to Charleville - 516km (tar)
Day 27 – Saturday 24 July - Charleville to Nyngan - 657km (tar)
Day 28 – Sunday 25 July - Nyngan to Sydney - 554km (tar)

Total Distance Sydney to Sydney = 8100km
Longest Distance Between Fuel Stations = Jervois to Boulia 470km

Please consider, and post up on this thread if you are would like to come. Several people have expressed interest in this trip, but this is the Definite list. If you would like more information, please PM me with your email address and I can send a full Itinerary. This is a long trip, and there will be some long days of driving. Given the tracks and distances we could manage 10 to 12 Jeeps.

Please PM me, or post on this thread if you have any questions.

Definites
1. DaveG (Whole Trip)
2. TimG (Whole Trip)
3. GregD + 1
4. KevinF (Whole Trip unless passenger can only do Parts 1 and 2)
5. Nolan (Whole Trip)
6. Eva + Chris (Whole Trip)
7. JamesT and family (for Parts 1 and 2 return home from Alice Springs)
8. BigRig - Raja - and family (for Part 2 Yulara to Alice Springs)
9. AdrianB

Expressed Interest/ Maybes
Wayne & Julie
Roya
Sean
Hunno
Mal & Kim

Dru & Kerry (Dino trail only)
Joe & Sue (Dino trail only - will make own bookings)

Thanks,
Dave

Timothy
30-07-20, 11:07 PM
Hi Dave

Add me in

Your just amazing - fantastic organizer.
This could turn into a profession

The last trip was just amazing - just perfect

Cheers
TG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave
31-07-20, 09:26 AM
Hi Dave

Add me in

Your just amazing - fantastic organizer.
This could turn into a profession

The last trip was just amazing - just perfect

Cheers
TG

Done Tim! It was (and will be) great to have you along! We had a great crew for two weeks!
Dave

Joe98
01-08-20, 07:01 PM
Dave, Sue and I are interested but it is too early to commit regards Joe

Dave
01-08-20, 11:28 PM
Dave, Sue and I are interested but it is too early to commit regards Joe

No worries, added to the maybes. It is a long way off, and the way things are at the moment, we can only hope that we will be able to go! I’ll track down your email and send a copy of the itinerary.

Dave
05-08-20, 09:53 PM
Interest at tonight's meeting from Eva, Sean and Hunno. Itineraries sent and names added to lists :)

Steve F
05-08-20, 11:24 PM
Put us down as maybes as well Dave, Bec is keen, how much is National Park? I know Kings Canyon and Yulara are, not sure on the rest, thinking of the 4th furry member of the family.

Cheer
Steve

Dave
06-08-20, 07:12 AM
Put us down as maybes as well Dave, Bec is keen, how much is National Park? I know Kings Canyon and Yulara are, not sure on the rest, thinking of the 4th furry member of the family.

Cheer
Steve

Added as maybes. I’ll send you an Itinerary later (it’s not on my phone). Good question about national parks. Dalhousie springs is, but you could skip it and go straight to Mt Dare. Chambers Pillar is, but you could go on to Uluru a day early and do more there - lots of cultural 'stuff' for families and children.
Uluru is, but Yulara (where everyone stays) isn’t. Think Kings Canyon similar. And we stay in towns on the Dino trail, so all should be manageable.
Thanks
Dave

Dave
11-08-20, 12:52 PM
The first bit of possible bad news in relation to this trip, and I can hardly believe that States and Territories are forecasting this far out, but in the news today (11 August 20)

Northern Territory Chief Minister Michael Gunner has revealed he will keep the Territory’s border guarded for at least another 18 months from Tuesday and recruit extra police to keep the barriers in place.
Currently, anyone coming from Sydney or Victoria must complete two weeks quarantine at their own expense if they want to enter the territory, and everyone must fill in a border declaration pass.
Mr Gunner told ABC 24 the list of banned states and territories was more likely to increase than decrease, and 18 months was a “conservative” estimate for when the borders would be wide open again.
“We have got an indefinite ban on Victoria, and Sydney keeps bubbling away to a point to I can’t give you a date where that would ever lift,” he said.

Obviously if the NT does not open by July 2021, we would not be able to run the trip as planned - no Chambers Pillar, Uluru, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs or Plenty Highway.
If South Australia and Queensland open, and I guess those are also big 'ifs' then we could cobble together the 2020 planned trip through South Australia or even a "fourth time lucky" K1 Line / Simpson Desert as that doesn't enter the NT, then run north from Birdsville to the Dinosaur Trail...

I really hope (as does the PM) that we get some certainty by the start of next year!

We wait and see I guess,

Dave

isherz
11-08-20, 08:09 PM
I wouldn’t worry too much yet Dave...they’ll have a vaccine in 6 months time....[emoji847][emoji2958]

Dave
11-08-20, 11:39 PM
I wouldn’t worry too much yet Dave...they’ll have a vaccine in 6 months time....[emoji847][emoji2958]

We can hope!! [emoji40]

Dave
03-09-20, 09:20 AM
Got another 'maybe' after the meeting last night, brings us to 7 definites and 8 maybes! (although I guess we are all a bit maybe until we know whether we can travel...)

10 months today (3 Sept) with any luck we will be driving in to Dalhousie Springs!

Dave

Dave
07-10-20, 05:17 PM
An update today, one off the Maybe list and on to the Definites.

Things are still in the maybe's as far as borders go, although we would be okay if we were going to South Australia today. Hopefully the NT and Qld will open by the start of next year!

Dave

MalWilson
07-10-20, 09:53 PM
An update today, one off the Maybe list and on to the Definites.

Things are still in the maybe's as far as borders go, although we would be okay if we were going to South Australia today. Hopefully the NT and Qld will open by the start of next year!

Dave

As per email, we are maybes. Can you send us the itinerary please? Also do we need to think about mods to the WK2 and will the trip suit off-road camper?

Dave
08-10-20, 10:00 AM
As per email, we are maybes. Can you send us the itinerary please? Also do we need to think about mods to the WK2 and will the trip suit off-road camper?

Hi Mal,

Thanks and added to the maybe list! I got your reply email last night after I sent the Itinerary, but no previous one that I could find. The meetings are still good for catching up!

As Di mentioned, the longer touring trips should not need major mods. I would at the very least suggest good all terrain tires as stony roads can destroy passenger tires. As per normal club trip requirements, front and rear recovery points and recovery gear. While this trip should be mostly D grade (the hill in and out of Chambers Pillar can be a challenge) there is always the possibility of an unexpected sand trap out there. Well set up off road camper should be fine with similar preparation.

Hope that helps, now we just need some borders to open!

Dave

Dru
08-10-20, 06:12 PM
Dave, I’m looking at doing the dinosaur section. Possibly from Boulia. Can you add us as interested?

Dru and Kerry

Dave
09-10-20, 09:18 AM
Dave, I’m looking at doing the dinosaur section. Possibly from Boulia. Can you add us as interested?

Dru and Kerry

Done Dru. Going to continue with Di up to Cape York?

Dave
09-11-20, 05:07 PM
Hi All,

I know we are still 7 months from heading off on this Trip, but I am starting to think about making bookings, and in fact I have made my first one just now.

Our one "Book in Advance" National Park stay is at Dalhousie Springs on the Western edge of the Simpson Desert in South Australia.
We will be there on Saturday night 3 July 2021 and if you are DEFINITELY coming you can book and pay for your Vehicle Access and Camping online now. https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/booking/details#/accom/73186
It is $27.50 per vehicle/site, and Dalhousie does fill up, so I'd recommend booking ASAP.

The other National Park campsite we will use is Chambers Pillar in the Northern Territory. No bookings, free camping!

Everywhere else we are planning to stay will be a commercial campsite or caravan park. I plan to get in and book those in January. Hopefully none of them will need individual payments in advance, but I'll let you know :)

Thanks,
Dave

BigRig
09-11-20, 05:58 PM
That's an awesome itinerary Dave.
I will freight my Jeep to Uluru and fly there with family. We will return from Ayers Rock by road.

Hope that works.

Dave
09-11-20, 06:20 PM
That's an awesome itinerary Dave.
I will freight my Jeep to Uluru and fly there with family. We will return from Ayers Rock by road.

Hope that works.

I’m not sure I understood all that. Okay, freight the Jeep to Yulara, that’s clear. But would you be driving straight home from Yulara? Or coming in to Alice Springs and the Dinosaur Trail with us?
If you’re only spending the two nights with us at Yulara, why not fly in and get a rental car to drive home? Probably a lot cheaper...
If you’re coming the rest of the way, and on up to Cape York??? Then awesome! Great idea!!
Dave

BigRig
09-11-20, 06:40 PM
We will return from Alice Springs. Will only be joining for part 2 trip only. That's only 5 days but that coincides with our family trip to Uluru anyways.
We will drive back via Coober peedy to Sydney. Me and wife did a road trip to Alice Springs and back in 2005. We will be tracing our route back from Alice Springs, with our kids now.

I’m not sure I understood all that. Okay, freight the Jeep to Yulara, that’s clear. But would you be driving straight home from Yulara? Or coming in to Alice Springs and the Dinosaur Trail with us?
If you’re only spending the two nights with us at Yulara, why not fly in and get a rental car to drive home? Probably a lot cheaper...
If you’re coming the rest of the way, and on up to Cape York??? Then awesome! Great idea!!
Dave

Dave
09-11-20, 06:53 PM
Nice! Sounds good. I’ll add you to my list for that bit.
:)
Dave

Dave
01-01-21, 06:48 PM
Just a bump.

In a week or so I'm going to start making phone calls to reserve or book campsites - in anticipation that by late June, many of us will be vaccinated and hopefully borders will be open!

I'll email everyone that has said yes or maybe and try and lock in some more definite numbers for those bookings. I've already made my first booking - for our night at Dalhousie Springs.
If you want to go ahead and book that too, the website is https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/booking/details#/accom/73186
We will be staying there on Saturday 3 July
And you need to make sure you book and pay for Vehicle Entry to the National Park AND your Camping Fee ($16.50). TOTAL = $27.50.

Hope everyone had a Happy - if quiet - Christmas and New Year. I'll be in touch soon.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
14-01-21, 09:46 AM
Hi All,

It seems a little early to be doing this, but then again, IF the trip can run, we set off in 5 and a bit months!

I say IF because the big unknown is still COVID. State borders are still opening and closing, especially to Greater Sydney (us), and even though the vaccines are coming, will the situation be different by the end of June? We just don’t know.

In the hope that the trip will be able to run, I am going to start making reservations next week. There may be some minor changes to the planned campsites in the Itinerary, but I will update and send to you when I know.

I will reserve Un-Powered campsites. Once I have done that, if you want better accommodation eg powered site, cabin… then you can make contact with each place to change a “Sydney Jeep Club” reservation into a personal one. I will send the contact details of all the places that I reserve.

To reserve roughly the right number of sites I need to know how many people/Jeeps are really likely to come along. At the moment we have 9 Definites and 8 Maybes on the website. We can’t take more than 12 vehicles, so if the Maybes can let me know their intentions ASAP, I’ll update the list. I may have to turn it into a Definites (Jeeps 1 to 12) and Reserve… Hope not, as that won’t help your planning.

For the Definites, I have emailed a registration form – names, rego, contacts etc – so that I can provide that info to any caravan parks that need. Please fill out and return ASAP.

I have also recommended that you book camping at Dalhousie Springs now. It is popular, with limited camping. We would lose the $27.50 if we can’t go, but at least you won’t miss out if we can…
https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/booking/...s#/accom/73186 (https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/booking/details#/accom/73186)
$27.50 covers the Camping Fee AND Vehicle entry into Witjira National Park.

The only other thing that I know we should book in advance is our Dinosaur Trail Passes, for entry to all the places on the Dino Trail ($95 per adult). We should be able to do that closer to time, hopefully we will have good COVID news!

I hope that everywhere else will take a reservation and will not require money up front. That would be way too hard if COVID means we can’t go interstate and we have to cancel. I will let you know all the details once I have made reservations.

Think that’s all for now. Please get in touch if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave
17-01-21, 03:00 PM
Making reservations, and turning up a couple of changes. Hamilton Station no longer offers camping, which means...

On day 4, instead of William Creek we will stop early and camp at Coward Springs - hot artesian spring to enjoy.

Then we will go on and camp at Oodnadatta Caravan Park on Day 5 and look around the town, then have a slightly longer drive from Oodnadatta to Dalhousie next day. Still be there by lunch for plenty of swimming!

I'll update as needed and send everyone a new Itinerary and a list of camps, contacts and costs when I'm done!

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
19-01-21, 11:40 AM

Hi All,

As promised, I have made all the reservations for our trip in June/July (COVID and Borders depending) that I can...

Di, I have reserved 15 unpowered campsites at Winton, Richmond and Hughenden – hopefully enough for BOTH groups on the Dinosaur Trail. Nearer to time, if I can get your list / details, I can update more accurately.

I have had to make a couple of minor changes to the Itinerary as some places no longer offer camping. Nothing that affects distances or dates! I have emailed to all Definites and Maybes the complete list of places and costs and contacts and an updated Itinerary.

Hamilton Station no longer offers camping, so on 1 July we will stop early at Coward Springs for a bush camp, and there is a hot artesian pool. We will pause at William Creek for fuel and morning tea, but not stay. Lunch will be at Algebuckina Bridge and we will then spend a night in Oodnadatta Caravan Park on 2 July, before pushing on to Dalhousie Springs.

10 July could be interesting, Glen Helen is currently closed due to COVID, but there is National Park bush camping nearby. Finke River 2 Mile camp area sounds great, but it has no amenities at all. Yes, we would need shovels!

I have reserved unpowered camping all the way. In general I have said 10 sites, but could be 8 or could be 12 depending on final numbers. I will update reservations with actual numbers closer to time.

If YOU wish to ‘upgrade’ any of my Sydney Jeep Club unpowered camping reservations, please call each place, let them know that you are with the Sydney Jeep Club, and what you would like. Otherwise I think unpowered camping should suit us well (especially at Longreach where it sounds better than any other option). Note, at 5 of our stops, camping is the only option.

There are 3 places where I could not complete reservations for other people – so you will need to make your own bookings for these soon! See below.
Alice Springs wanted a deposit or full payment in advance. I have reserved sites there for Sydney Jeep Club, you need to call and pay (or upgrade and pay).

(1) Please book for yourself in Tibooburra on Tuesday 29 June. We have a really early start the next day, we are expected at Cameron Corner for breakfast around 9.00am! So I am planning to leave Tibooburra by 7.00am, and for that reason I have booked myself a motel room.
Rooms, cabins, or if you prefer to pack up a tent before dawn, powered and unpowered camping are all available through Tibooburra Granites Motel & Caravan Park - Ph 08 8091 3477. They know we are coming, so whatever accommodation you choose, say you are with the Sydney Jeep Club group.

(2) The next that you need to book for yourself, you already know about – Dalhousie Springs in Witjira National Park on Saturday 3 July. $27.50 for Vehicle Entry and Camping https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/booking/details#/accom/73186

(3) The third one was really annoying, and it was Ayers Rock Campground itself. They DO NOT answer the phone so I could not ask about group reservations. The recorded message tells you to book online and then hangs up ☹
I have booked an unpowered campsite for myself – we won’t even know if we can camp together until we get there. Powered sites and cabins are also available. My 2 nights in an unpowered site, 7 and 8 July, is $93 including GST. (Peak Season)
Please go to https://online.rezexpert.com/book?business_code=500529 to make your own booking, or for more details about all accommodation options including motel/resort at Yulara, go to https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/?_ga=2.261237261.1065455785.1610858061-1564918119.1610858061

(4) I have reserved unpowered camp sites at Alice Springs Big 4 MacDonnell Range Holiday Park - Ph 1800 808 373 – for 2 nights, 11 and 12 July. But they are asking for a deposit OR payment in advance. A deposit is one night site fee or $46. I paid the full $92 for the two night stay (Peak Season). Please call them ASAP and make either deposit or full payment. If the borders are shut and we have to cancel they will hold our payments for a visit at a later date.

Please make these calls or online bookings as soon as you can. I would hate for anyone to miss out – as I do not have a plan B if you do not book…

If you have ANY problems, please let me know – especially with the Ayers Rock Campground. I followed the instructions and ended up with a screen saying I had not entered any booking details. But then I got an email confirming that I had actually booked… Very clunky for such a ‘premier’ attraction.

If you are happy with my “unpowered campsite” reservations, you should not need to do any more right now – except for (1) to (4) as above.

If you are contacting each place to ‘upgrade’ a reservation for yourself, would you please let me know. Later on I will contact all the places again and give final numbers in each category of accommodation…

Hope that makes sense and hope it all sounds good! A bit over 5 months to go and I am already counting it down!

Best wishes,
Dave