PDA

View Full Version : What's the best tyre psi for going to Stockton Sanddune?

FoxChung
04-08-06, 12:58 AM
Could anyone advise for the best tyre pressure (psi) to run on Stockton beach sand dune? Is 18psi low enough? or any lower? Also, do I have to use 4WD FULL TIME, or PART TIME?

Wooders
04-08-06, 09:30 AM
What size tyre & what model Jeep?
If it's a TJ/XJ/KJ etc with standard sized tyres, then I'd suggest 16 PIS as a mimumim pressure - especially if you do not have a compressor to reinflate a tyre of you pop a bead.

You DEFINATELY want PART-time 4wd on the sand.

smorison
04-08-06, 12:18 PM
dumb question but can you do stockton on the road tyres they fit?

with the huge enormous amount of experience i've got what suggestions could you give?

thanks

Wooders
04-08-06, 12:42 PM
Sure can.
Infact they can work better than more aggressive treads that tend to dig you down.

One tip - if the rig starts working hard, slip it into low range & drive & enjoy ;)

FoxChung
04-08-06, 11:06 PM
Sure can.
Infact they can work better than more aggressive treads that tend to dig you down.

One tip - if the rig starts working hard, slip it into low range & drive & enjoy ;)

Thanks for your reply, but what's the difference between 4WD FULL TIME and 4WD PART TIME? In what kind of road surface should I use PART TIME? on sand dune and snow?

BenC
07-08-06, 02:05 PM
Use 4WD Full time any time you're offroad (not on tar/concrete).

You should be able to let your factory road tyres down to about 12psi on the sand without having a problem. Just remember not to corner at speed with them this low. It also depends how hard packed the sand is. If it's rained recently the sand will be harder, if no rain, then it will be soft and you'll need to let your tyres down lower to keep moving.

Jaffas
10-08-06, 12:47 PM
for full/part time mode discussion, read here: http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=665&highlight=

Basically, full-time you can use all the time on high traction surfaces (road, hard dirt etc). Part-time you can use only some of the time on low traction surfaces (soft dirt, mud, sand, rocks, etc)

For pressures, the lower the better. I run about 10psi on sand... or less. with factory tyres 12-14psi as said above is probably better