View Full Version : TRIP: Menai Cleanup - 17/10/04

BenC
07-10-04, 12:23 PM
Trip: Menai Cleanup
Leader: Antz
Meeting Point: Menai, Heathcoate Road - Gate 6
Meeting Time: 8.45AM
Grade: C
Notes: This entitles you to Menai and Spanish Steps access.

Gate 6 doesn't have a lot of room, so try to keep as far off the road as you can.

A drive of the Menai trails may be done after the cleanup finishes at about midday.

Please register your interest here or with Antz directly so he knows who's going

Jaffas
09-10-04, 10:25 PM
I would be interested if there are a few others going???

Wooders
09-10-04, 11:50 PM
Yeah I think I'll be interested....

TIGGER
11-10-04, 09:51 AM
I would have been keen for this one, but there is that all Chrysler day on sunday too :?

IguanA
12-10-04, 12:59 AM
What is involved in a menai clean up day? Excuse the ignorance :)

AussieCJ7
12-10-04, 09:59 AM
What is involved in a menai clean up day? Excuse the ignorance :)

It is pretty good actually, you meet at the designated point and sign in

you drive out to an area and pick up as much rubish as possible, everything from drink cans and chip packets right up to whole car bodies and old fridges washing machines etc drag it all back to a central site and repeat until about lunch time then you get to go for a drive on tracks that are normally closed and get to see a few cool spots like down at the river beach etc

Although it does involve some work they have made the right combination of work and fun to make it worthwile going and more important the 4x4 community is doing the right thing in return for access to land that is private property

TIGGER
12-10-04, 10:19 AM
yeah i wouldn't call it work - even thought you are collecting rubbish - it's cool because you get to drive your jeep around everywhere 8)

Jaffas
12-10-04, 11:58 AM
Personally I think that assisting to maintain areas for four wheel drive access is a good thing, and if it means a small bit of hard work so as we can have a chance to enjoy the tracks, its a good thing :)

Antz
12-10-04, 12:10 PM
So far we have;

Antz
Jaffas
Wooders
IguanA
Adz
wiz ?
TheBeast
TIGGER ?

Come on you new members, this is your chance to qualify for future trips to Menai and Spanish steps.

IguanA
12-10-04, 12:58 PM
I'm in :)

Do I need to bring anything? and am I allowed to carry non member passengers?

Antz
12-10-04, 01:06 PM
A pair of gloves is handy but I will bring a stack of them for everyone. Non member passengers are always welcome.

IguanA
12-10-04, 01:13 PM
My name is Bruce Guan just in case you dont know my nick.

Adz
12-10-04, 01:36 PM
i'm in...

wiz
12-10-04, 01:54 PM
if i make it unscathed from Fri nite ....
i should be there 8) ,
although may have to leave at lunch-time but we'll see
:wink:

TheBeast
12-10-04, 09:41 PM
Antz

I'm in for the cleanup if I get through Friday night. :lol:

Regards, 8)

TIGGER
13-10-04, 09:49 AM
I'm a definite maybe - i have to leave early though 8)

Jaffas
13-10-04, 12:26 PM
Not having driven to Menai before, is Gate 6 easy to find??

If anyone is coming through the Carlingford area, I would be happy to tag along otherwise.

Wooders
13-10-04, 01:00 PM
Jaffa,

I'll be coming from Thornleigh 8)

TIGGER
14-10-04, 09:27 AM
ok i'll be there, add me to the list :mrgreen:

Antz
14-10-04, 12:12 PM
OK, updated list.

Antz
Jaffas
Wooders
IguanA
Adz
wiz
TheBeast
TIGGER
sir camel
COPB8T 50/50
ACJ maybe
CJ_Brad maybe
Chris
DEVL15H maybe

sir_camel
15-10-04, 12:55 AM
I'm in for this trip. What time you coming thru Carlingford Wooders?

Dorzun
15-10-04, 08:42 AM
Hey Guy's,

A mate of mine and ACT JT member Chris Burns will be there on sunday as well.

He's in a pootrowl, but is a jeeper deep down. If you see him can you invite him to join you guy's.

he's the guy that keeps my CJ running and I cannot make it as I'll be in the middle of moving house

wiz
15-10-04, 10:19 AM
also add COPB8T (aka Joey) as 50/50 starter :wink: ...
he may have a prior engagement on the Sunday and will give a buzz saturday arvo if he has wormed his way out of it or not

good numbers so far peoples 8)

Dorzun
15-10-04, 11:08 AM
All going well, I may have all the shyte into the house by saturday night, if so I'll probably shoot down as well.

You'll know if you see me there.

ACJ
15-10-04, 11:32 AM
I maybe in
will have to play it by ear :)

BenC
15-10-04, 11:58 AM
Unfortunately I'll have to miss this one, as I'll be displaying the Jeep at all Chrysler Day. :cry:

Wooders
15-10-04, 10:22 PM
I'm in for this trip. What time you coming thru Carlingford Wooders?

I dunno - not that organised yet :oops:
Suggestions???
BTW WTF IS gate 6????

chrispy
15-10-04, 10:29 PM
Are you blokes sticking to harder trails, or C-ish as advertised? I don't want to bring the Pootrol along, and would prefer to bring the Grand........ and maybe my little offroad trailer for piling crap into....

??

Wooders - Gate 6 is about a kay or so down Heathcote Road from WhiteRock towards Illawarra Road (i.e. on the left). You won't miss it - we met there last time. Lotsa cars gather before going in - entry is over a large bump in between some pretty big boulders.

Antz
16-10-04, 10:23 AM
Chris,there will be quite a few vehicles so the aim is to keep it simple and stick to the C grade stuff. Plan was to try the tracks at the north end that we dont get to drive much (ie down to the beach area). Having said that, I am not overly familiar with that end and we could end up anywhere :D

For those that dont know Gate 6, I will try to get there early, so keep a lookout for my Jeep parked on the left as you head towards Illawarra Rd.

Jaffas
16-10-04, 04:09 PM
Meeting time at Carlo would be good???

sir_camel
16-10-04, 05:05 PM
How does 8am at Carlingford sound? Make it same place as where we met for Jambo. At the Caltex in front of Carlingford Court. Will we expect to see you there Wooders? Will be on Channel 20 if all goes to plan.

Adz
16-10-04, 07:09 PM
Can i grab someones mobile #? i will be comming from... old illawarra rd way... from revesby.

Jetty
16-10-04, 07:53 PM
I might make it to the clean up tomorrow. so i'll see you there.

Wooders
17-10-04, 06:42 AM
8am Carlo Caltax - Got it - I'll be there!!

Ch20 - got it!!

Adz - 0413 138 550.
Looking forward to this I haven't been to menai in about 18months.....

chrispy
17-10-04, 05:16 PM
Antz - Gread day - thanks and cheers :)

No damage apart from about 6 million Cooper ST side lugs. Who needs 'em anyways?

Chris

Adz
17-10-04, 06:47 PM
Antz - me too thanx for a gr8 day,also for continuously locking my read axel and diffs onto the largest boulders u can find,thanks for the rest of you guys helping me out an giving me tips and teachin' me... feel like a SJC padawan, oh yeah Sir Camel, thanx for the disco' tips and how to ha ha... in go the tera flex's!

TheBeast
17-10-04, 08:06 PM
Yes, I to thankyou Antz and the rest of the guys and girls, what a top weekend :P . Now all I need to do is fix my panhard bracket :roll: , well it was still a top weekend 8)

Wooders
17-10-04, 09:59 PM
Time to upload some pics into the album???
Top day out guys !!

sir_camel
17-10-04, 11:49 PM
Yea great day. Bring on the pics tho.

chrispy
18-10-04, 07:08 AM
Gotta say it.... Wooder's TJ is amazing. The super-quick cab-adjustable pneumatic suspension system is incredible. Cocked up on opposing left-front and right-rear wheels, he simple lets the appropriate one down and hey presto, is almost level again with three wheels back on the ground for better traction. Instant clearance for any obstacle. What a system.

Can't remember what brand of compressor it runs under the bonnet, but it reminded me of a Briggs&Stratton mower engine in terms of size. It was huge. After the run, it blew my 31's up from 16psi to 38psi in around 35 seconds - and that was with his engine at idle :shock: He told me that if he revved a bit, the airflow was proportional to engine speed. If you're not careful, you had one tyre nearly blowing off the rim before you got the valve cap off the next one!!!

If only there was room under the bonnet of the Grand........ :?

Antz
18-10-04, 07:25 AM
Thanks to all for making the effort to turn up, it was a great turn out and good to see, even if such a large group does slow things up a bit.

Hey Adz, get used to it mate, doesn't matter how big a jeep you have its gonna keep happening :D

The few photos I took I have uploaded to the SJC photo section.

I agree with Chris, the OBA and suspension system in Wodders' truck is awsome. Yet more money to spend, its never ending....

chrispy
18-10-04, 07:37 AM
Yeah... thanks for nothin' Wooders. It's people like you that cost people like me money.

:wink:

Jaffas
18-10-04, 09:44 AM
Was fun day :D :D Will get my pics up this evening when I get home...

Me want beefy compressor too :wink:

TIGGER
18-10-04, 11:16 AM
Was a great day 8)

I got some good pics too 8)

And i also got some video (chris i still can't upload onto ausjeep to show everyone :cry: )

Wooders
18-10-04, 11:31 AM
Jezz guys - glad you liked the look of the setup :D
I must admit I had a lot more fun using it on local terrain than the Jambo slush-fest.
Although it highlighted a few bits I still want to improve upon ;)

Anyhow top day out - disappointed I didn't snap more pics, but I was having too much fun watching the action directly rather than via a view-finder ;) Also IMHO for such a large group we moved fairly quickly & with minimal problems.....

chrispy
18-10-04, 11:42 AM
Also IMHO for such a large group we moved fairly quickly & with minimal problems.....

hehe... apart from my little bungle coming down to the slide..... damn crossmember! (and maybe my approach.... :oops: ) Been up the lead-in track but not down before. Oh well...

Hey Wooders - you have been mentioned on Overlander this morning.... you were spotted yesterday.

wiz
18-10-04, 12:33 PM
Thanx to all that attended ... great day out :wink:

good to see so many SJCers @ the Clean-up ....

maybe next month we can find our way towards the 'beach' area 8)

EDIT: me definately wants an OBA set up :roll: - damn you Wooders :lol:

TIGGER
18-10-04, 12:51 PM
hehe... apart from my little bungle coming down to the slide..... damn crossmember! (and maybe my approach.... :oops: ) Been up the lead-in track but not down before. Oh well...

Hey don't worry chris, i got stuck when i thought i could climb on that boulder beside the tree... :roll:

Oh and i've posted a few new pics

Wooders
18-10-04, 01:44 PM

Hey don't worry chris, i got stuck when i thought i could climb on that boulder beside the tree... :roll:

Oh and i've posted a few new pics

Don't worry I smacked that tree twice on the way "there" and once on the way back to teach it a lesson :wink:

chrispy
18-10-04, 01:46 PM
Don't worry I smacked that tree twice on the way "there" and once on the way back to teach it a lesson :)

LOL!!!! You're a crack-up Wooders!

Next time you're down there, maybe it'll do a "Thunderbird 2 palms" for you ;)

sir_camel
18-10-04, 02:06 PM
Seeing everyone is dont worrying i will join in too....

Don't worry. I got stuck in same spot as you Chris but on the way out. Stupid lazy me didnt think where he was going.

Jetty
18-10-04, 07:29 PM
Yeah me too. Got stuck in the 80 series bypass. phew, luckily managed to get out.

Jaffas
19-10-04, 11:20 AM
Should I mention I didn't get stuck :wink: (ok, so I took the easy lines, but hey!!)

Pictures are at http://210.10.49.162/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=MenaiCleanup-17Oct04

They are pretty average, I still just playing with my new-ish digicam, but I hope there are some that are OK

Enjoy...

chrispy
19-10-04, 11:23 AM
Hey there Jaffas...

Can you put these photos on this - the club site?

There is an album ready to go for them under Club Trips... just add them to the rest already there.

Cheers :)
Chris

BenC
19-10-04, 11:27 AM
Did anyone make it up the climb on the left at the end of prado hill? The one with the tree root sticking out :lol:

Antz
19-10-04, 01:06 PM
No one attempted that line, it has been dug up and is really soft. One of our group managed to totally dislodge that big rock that we noticed had been moved on the last night drive.

TIGGER
19-10-04, 07:47 PM
Damage report:

I noticed something odd on the passenger side floor, there was a huge dent raised about 10 cm right where the passenger's feeet go 8O

So i looked underneath and found a large log wedged between the a/c gas tank and the bottom of the tub - which i obviously drove over, causing the dent on the passenger floor! :x

Wooders, you may recall when i drove over that big branch.... well it did some damage :lol:

Wooders
19-10-04, 10:55 PM
8O The Big stick I saw you drive over was about 40cm long and about 10cm in diameter.....Guess the rest had already found a nice comfy spot to hide......

TIGGER
20-10-04, 10:04 AM
Anyone know a good panel beater?

pic:

http://ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/download.php?id=3122

BenC
20-10-04, 10:10 AM
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

You must have hit that pretty damn hard!

Antz
20-10-04, 10:12 AM
The one I used to repair my sill did a good job and was quite cheap I thought, but it would be a long way for you to go.

Jaffas
20-10-04, 12:25 PM
Hey there Jaffas...

Can you put these photos on this - the club site?

There is an album ready to go for them under Club Trips... just add them to the rest already there.

Cheers :)
Chris

Ya ok, will do when I am at home for more than 10mins and not sleeping!

hmmm, my heep don't seem to be running 100% since the weekend, going to have tro climb under and have a look sometime

IguanA
21-10-04, 01:32 PM
Hi guys

My photos are at http://community.webshots.com/album/201464528VGWvde

Is there a gallery here we I can upload them too or something?

TIGGER
21-10-04, 01:45 PM
nice pics bruce,

you can upload some in the club gallery if you want.

chrispy
21-10-04, 01:50 PM
Hi guys

My photos are at http://community.webshots.com/album/201464528VGWvde

Is there a gallery here we I can upload them too or something?

Bruce - go to our Home Page and click on "Club Photos". That'll take you to the gallery. Go to the Club Trips album and upload them into the appropriate sub-album (there is one already set up for the Menai trip).

Cheers
Chris