PDA

View Full Version : Awaba to Drury Lane - Watagans: 20 Feb 21

Dru
09-12-20, 10:00 AM
EDIT UPDATE - I am not worried about Covid and border closure etc at the moment. There is plenty of time for this to reopen,re-close and reopen! I'll just monitor as we get get closer. BUT I will drop the Brisbane Jeep Club as a joint venture - hard to convince northerners out of God's country at the moment.

This trip is basically as per here: http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?5576-Trip-Register-for-trip-Headquarters-to-Drury-Lane-on-8-September-2018

My intention is firstly to encourage potential trip leaders to pick up this trip and to run it going forward. Kerry and I would like to see this one become an SJC staple without us having to return from Brisbane! Unfortunately I will be running solo as the trip becomes a 4 day exercise and she is saving holidays for the cape trip. We might look to a couple of "pow wows" on the way to discuss trip leading and hopefully to answer any queries sensibly.

Of course you are welcome to join the trip as a newcomer and set aside thoughts of trip leading at the moment - though trip leaders will be bumped up the list.

My intention is to also offer this trip to the Brisbane Jeep Club - though I dont expect to pick up many lunatics willing a 4 day journey for a day trip. For what it is worth I'll be camping somewhere on Saturday evening (maybe the Basin) and look to another trip on Sunday targeting >B grade. [Details when I have a better idea from Brisbane Jeepers.]

WHERE: WATAGANS

WHEN: Saturday 20th February 2021

MEET: The Shell servo at Freeman's Waterhole

Less than 2 hours drive north from Sydney on the Motorway.
Address: Shell Servo, 890 Freeman's Drive, Freemans Waterhole, NSW2323

Departure Time: 9:00am for departure at 9:20 sharp. Please fuel before departure. Please target 9:00 and note I wont be hanging around for stragglers, we will be lining up before the 9:20 roll call for departure.

Grade: C+

I haven't run this trip for a while and don't have the chance to reccie from Brisbane, so conditions could be varied. As designed and run previously this trip can be considered absolutely appropriate for Grand Cherokee WKII but is going to require some actual driving through challenges. Enough to keep Wranglers on their toes. There are long sections of graded trail that link together highlight driving challenges as we start north and end up south of the Watagans. Please note that parts of the Watagans have historically been very scratchy and I do not avoid them.

REQUIREMENTS: Standard SJC rqts - recovery points front and rear (no exceptions), recovery gear, radio, food/drink, first aid kit, sunscreen, camera. Otherwise stock Jeep is fine.

NUMBERS: I'm OK for it to build a little as it is a trip leader event and I'd expect we can split the group if needed - or more likely run a "piggy in the middle" as well as tail. Will monitor as we go forward.

Attending:

1. Dru: JKU
2. TL: SnakeDocter - Martin: JKU.
3. TL: Rich Henning: JKU
*TL bump
*TL bump
*TL bump
4. Joe98 - Joe: JK
5. NegDriver - Tam: JKU
6. Di/John - JK
7. RDO401 - Ed JK
8. Roya - Roya and Barbara - JK
9. Jetkev - Kev: WK2
10. Bigrig - Raja - JK?
11. Charith - JLU
12. Khaled WK2
13. Qaanita

Please indicate your vehicle and if you want to be bumped up the list your interest in trip leading.
*TL: nominated trip leader

SnakeDoctor
09-12-20, 10:13 AM
In and I'll be able to lead a trip for SJC afterwards.

Let me know if you want a quick reccie done of any sections Dru - can send me a description or GPX and i'll work through it.

Last time (~ 4 months ago) after some big rain the section of track from Freemans Waterhole to into Watagans (via bike park) had some fun parts.

Dru
09-12-20, 11:39 AM
In and I'll be able to lead a trip for SJC afterwards.

Let me know if you want a quick reccie done of any sections Dru - can send me a description or GPX and i'll work through it.

Last time (~ 4 months ago) after some big rain the section of track from Freemans Waterhole to into Watagans (via bike park) had some fun parts.

The section you are describing is our entry point. Will take you up on reccie.

Dru

Joe98
09-12-20, 01:14 PM
I too would like to join the trip and I too am happy to do a recce with you beforehand. I am retired so a week day is fine too.

Joe 2 Door JL stock standard Sport.

Negdriver
09-12-20, 05:45 PM
Please count me in. I've only done a couple of trips into the watagans and would like to see more of it.

Tam - JKU

Dru
09-12-20, 06:37 PM
I too would like to join the trip and I too am happy to do a recce with you beforehand. I am retired so a week day is fine too.

Joe 2 Door JL stock standard Sport.

Your name is Joe, right? We might look into the reccie process, across the group - could be useful on it's own.

Cheers

Dru

Dru
09-12-20, 06:40 PM
Please count me in. I've only done a couple of trips into the watagans and would like to see more of it.

Tam - JKU

Great Tam, list updated. Hopefully the trip should help you get your head around access points and main thoroughfares. After that - explore!

Dru

Joe98
09-12-20, 07:54 PM
(Mine is a JL)

I have done done bushwalking and Jeeping in the Wattagans so happy to help with a recce

richhenning
09-12-20, 10:43 PM
Hi Dru. I’ll join thanks. And will pay attention for future trip leading. Don’t think I have done these tracks in the watagans actually.
Will be nice to hang out too, been too long!

isherz
10-12-20, 12:39 AM
John n Di are in pending roster
Looking forward to B day on Sunday
We will camp with you overnight ... the Pines maybe?
Black JK lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RD0401
10-12-20, 09:07 AM
Add me please Dru. ED - JKU. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

roya
10-12-20, 12:36 PM
Hi Dru,

Please add Roya and Barbara-JK with 2.5 inches lift.

Thanks
Roya

Jeepmuggle
11-12-20, 03:30 PM
Hi Dru,
The WJ will have a locking front diff installed by Feb with 3.5" lift, heavy duty coils, 30" tires. It's just done Sunny Corner - Turon at a solid C and scraped through a Jose "C" at Yalwal (with softer coils springs too).
Would I be crazy to bring the WJ on the Saturday? I'm in if you think it's realistic.

I'm keen to start trip leading after being on a few SJC trips.

Darrell (62JEEP)

Khabbazeh
11-12-20, 11:25 PM
Hi Dru

Was just thinking of this trip 2 hours ago and remembering the scratchy bits from our trip 2 years ago! I am keen on joining again though in my WK2 with better protection and tires this time :)

Most likely with a passenger

Cheers
Khaled

charith
12-12-20, 10:08 AM
Hi Dru,
please count our JLU Rubicon.

BigRig
17-12-20, 02:42 PM
Hi Dru,

Please count me in - Raja / JLUR
Keen to explore Trip Leading so do bump me up the list ✌️

roya
17-12-20, 04:22 PM
Hello,

Is there any non expensive paint protection that doesn’t cost a lot? Something DIY and good enough of a day trip?

Thanks
Roya

jetkev
18-12-20, 05:45 PM
Please count me in.

Kev - jetkev - Jeep GC

Dru
18-12-20, 07:38 PM
@Rich, I was hoping you would be available. Thanks for jumping on board. :encouragement:

@John and Di, Great! We may have to result to covert ops to make sure the Spit Bridge is re-opened. :hororr:

Dru

Dru
18-12-20, 07:40 PM
Add me please Dru. ED - JKU. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Done and welcome back. :smile-new:

Dru
18-12-20, 07:47 PM
Hi Dru,

Please add Roya and Barbara-JK with 2.5 inches lift.

Thanks
Roya

Done Roya. Thanks for your interest. :smile-new:

Dru
18-12-20, 07:50 PM
Hi Dru,
The WJ will have a locking front diff installed by Feb with 3.5" lift, heavy duty coils, 30" tires. It's just done Sunny Corner - Turon at a solid C and scraped through a Jose "C" at Yalwal (with softer coils springs too).
Would I be crazy to bring the WJ on the Saturday? I'm in if you think it's realistic.

I'm keen to start trip leading after being on a few SJC trips.

Darrell (62JEEP)

Darrell, Ben used to reccie Watagans with me in his awesome WJ. Possibly the most underrated jeep that exists and of the Cherokees the one that really stands out for me. Did I mention the WJ is awesome? You should enjoy this trip.

Dru

Dru
18-12-20, 07:51 PM
Please count me in.

Kev - jetkev - Jeep GC

Hi Kev - this trip was design with the Cherokee in mind, glad you can make it. Out of interest which model Cherokee? For what its worth I understand entirely what "Jose C" means compared to C. This is probably somewhere between but with my attempt to match Jose a little. :jaded:

Dru

Dru
18-12-20, 07:54 PM
Hi Dru,

Please count me in - Raja / JLUR
Keen to explore Trip Leading so do bump me up the list ✌️

Hi Raja and welcome. See you at Freemans. :encouragement:

Dru
18-12-20, 07:56 PM
Hi Dru,
please count our JLU Rubicon.

Ooo - JLU. :kiwi-fruit: Welcome!

Khabbazeh
18-12-20, 10:22 PM
Hi Dru,

not sure if this got through or not before but please add me in :)

Cheers
Khaled

Hi Dru

Was just thinking of this trip 2 hours ago and remembering the scratchy bits from our trip 2 years ago! I am keen on joining again though in my WK2 with better protection and tires this time :)

Most likely with a passenger

Cheers
Khaled

Dru
19-12-20, 11:24 AM
Hi Dru,

not sure if this got through or not before but please add me in :)

Cheers
Khaled

Soz, those really bad scratchy bits were on Plank Hill. I don’t think we’ll run it this time, but maybe. It is the Watagans though and bar any clearing via the bush fires, scratchy stuff just turns up.

great to catch up again Khaled. :encouragement:

Khabbazeh
19-12-20, 02:32 PM
Soz, those really bad scratchy bits were on Plank Hill. I don’t think we’ll run it this time, but maybe. It is the Watagans though and bar any clearing via the bush fires, scratchy stuff just turns up.

looking forward to it :)

nitrobrent
20-12-20, 08:42 AM

We did Plank hill from Bullock track start to Prickly a month ago.Hadn't done it for 5 or 6 years.
Lantana city , lotsa grumbling on the radio.
The tree with the notch for John's roof rack on the Troopie has gone.
Better off going Cut rock road the whole way.
There's some nice little side trails that loop back onto the road , if the stickers dont want to partake , they can watch

jetkev
20-12-20, 11:09 PM
Dru, It is a grand Cherokee WK2 2014 diesel limited.
Hi Kev - this trip was design with the Cherokee in mind, glad you can make it. Out of interest which model Cherokee? For what its worth I understand entirely what "Jose C" means compared to C. This is probably somewhere between but with my attempt to match Jose a little. :jaded:

Dru

Jeepmuggle
21-12-20, 12:10 AM
Darrell, Ben used to reccie Watagans with me in his awesome WJ. Possibly the most underrated jeep that exists and of the Cherokees the one that really stands out for me. Did I mention the WJ is awesome? You should enjoy this trip.

Dru

GREAT. Thanks Dru. I'm assuming I can come, even if my name doesn't yet appear on the list in the original post? Definitely keen to develop TL skills. The reason I joined the SJC was to do trips and we need more leaders leading more trips.
Darrell

Dru
21-12-20, 08:29 AM
Dru, It is a grand Cherokee WK2 2014 diesel limited.

Cheers Kev

Dru
21-12-20, 08:30 AM
GREAT. Thanks Dru. I'm assuming I can come, even if my name doesn't yet appear on the list in the original post? Definitely keen to develop TL skills. The reason I joined the SJC was to do trips and we need more leaders leading more trips.
Darrell

Apologies Darrell, updating now, TL it is.

Jaunts
21-12-20, 09:13 PM
Hi Dru, John and Cath would like to join too please. Little red JK

isherz
22-12-20, 04:09 AM
We can be put down as trip leaders Dru [emoji848][emoji847]

Qaanita
26-12-20, 06:56 PM
Would love to join if there's a spot :)
JK! woo

FluxZero
01-01-21, 02:44 PM
Hi All,

Recently purchased a JLUR taken it on few dirt roads but nothing too advanced. Would like to get out into a few more challenging areas. Current skill level would be 0 lol but happy to try anything. If you think this would be an appropriate trip and there is still space would like to tag along.

Jonathan - JLUR

Timothy
01-01-21, 11:29 PM
Hi Guys

Anymore vacancies - Add me up
Tim - JLU Lifted 2.5", done heaps of track, off roads, creek crossing - really interested in Watagans (http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?6307-Awaba-to-Drury-Lane-Watagans-20-Feb-21/page4)

Cheers
Tim

Dru
02-01-21, 10:19 PM
Timothy and FluxZero - guys, we ALWAYS take non club members on this trip. I've got to do some balancing though - let me know what your thoughts are about joining the club.

Apologies to be a pain, I know I know, and we are really welcoming, but my numbers are building and my ability to drive this trip is getting compromised by COVID19.

Dru
02-01-21, 10:26 PM
OK team - this crazy State I now live in, Qld, is starting to make this trip tricky to put together.

So here is the thing: I always wanted this to be novice trip leaders involved in driving the day. Now, I MIGHT, not be able to make it with the COVID stuff happening. But very likely within NSW YOU will be able to push it forward without the risk of me turning up!

How cool is that?

I need a Zoom group of trip leaders ready to make sure this trip happens. The good bit is that this way not only do you get my "wisdom" but you will get Kerry's WISDOM. [Anyone who has met us will know there is a qualitative difference. Though the background, experience and intentions are identical. Honest.]

Jump in team, let's make it happen.

Dru

FluxZero
03-01-21, 12:22 AM
Timothy and FluxZero - guys, we ALWAYS take non club members on this trip. I've got to do some balancing though - let me know what your thoughts are about joining the club.

Apologies to be a pain, I know I know, and we are really welcoming, but my numbers are building and my ability to drive this trip is getting compromised by COVID19.

All good no need to apologise, totally get it. I'm hoping your a good bunch, and if so would be keen on joining the club and do regular trips.

The main reason I purchased the JL was access to remote rock climbing spots, and camping. In doing that I have found that the little off roading I have done has been really enjoyable and want to do more but don't really know where to start.

I have paid membership to other car clubs before and realised for it to work the club needs be a well organised bunch of good people. I was hoping to jump on one of your general meeting zoom calls and use this trip to see if the club is good fit for me.

Ps hope this dosent come off the wrong way...

isherz
03-01-21, 08:50 AM
All good no need to apologise, totally get it. I'm hoping your a good bunch, and if so would be keen on joining the club and do regular trips.

The main reason I purchased the JL was access to remote rock climbing spots, and camping. In doing that I have found that the little off roading I have done has been really enjoyable and want to do more but don't really know where to start.

I have paid membership to other car clubs before and realised for it to work the club needs be a well organised bunch of good people. I was hoping to jump on one of your general meeting zoom calls and use this trip to see if the club is good fit for me.

Ps hope this dosent come off the wrong way...

Hi Flux....
Most clubs are in pause at the moment due to Covid restrictions closed tracks still from bushfires and of course not much happens December January over the Christmas period. Not much happening as we play the waiting game....
Totally get what your saying please keep an eye out for our new website launching in January and details of our first face to face meet since Covid started fingers crossed planning for February or soon after Covid restrictions pending...meanwhile lots being planned for 2021 that will be up in the calender with the new site.
Cheers
Di - SJC president

Timothy
03-01-21, 12:30 PM
Hi Guys

I thought i was a member ..?? Did inmiss out something

Let me know

Cheers Tim

Timothy
03-01-21, 12:41 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210103/3ed0bd6006a98c5a4017df31b6f00621.jpg

Dru
03-01-21, 06:37 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210103/3ed0bd6006a98c5a4017df31b6f00621.jpg

All good, my error. Updating shortly.

Dru

#JKlife
04-01-21, 11:08 AM
Hi Jeepers!

Happy New Year!

Room for one more on this trip?

Dru
08-01-21, 05:36 PM
Hi team - I will be updating this in a couple of days. A couple of organisation issues to be nailed first. Stay tuned.

Dru

richhenning
08-01-21, 06:18 PM
Hi Dru,

Turns out I can’t make it this time. Appears I am already booked for fund raising for my sons overseas soccer trip.
Please take me off the list. Rich.

Dru
08-01-21, 10:09 PM
Hi Dru,

Turns out I can’t make it this time. Appears I am already booked for fund raising for my sons overseas soccer trip.
Please take me off the list. Rich.

Ouch! Have a good day anyway, Rich.