PDA

View Full Version : Stockton Beach trip in Jan

overlander
08-10-04, 02:50 PM
Steve F and I are contemplating a trip to Stockton sometime in January. Either a day trip or a weekend with camping. Idea is to bring SO and kiddies along for a play on the beach and to have some 4wd fun on the dunes at the same time.... should we be talking to Antz about this since he
's the c/d co-ordinator?

Antz
08-10-04, 05:33 PM
Just let me know if you have a date in mind and we can add it to the calender. I have never been to Stockton in the Jeep so I would be keen to go too.

chrispy
08-10-04, 05:53 PM
Yep - never had the Grand on sand like Stockton. I'm interested to see how it goes with the NP247 (rear wheel drive - front on demand) and open diffs.....

Should be good in low range, which I wouldn't do Stockton without..... high range is just too much stress on the soft sand up there.

Jaffas
09-10-04, 09:55 PM
I would certainly be keen as well... although my January is looking a bit busy, but should be time for a bit of fourby fun in the sand

Steve F
11-10-04, 10:36 AM
I'd probably just go for a day trip up there, it's a little to close to drag out the camping gear and it always seems windy up there :( In saying that though we could make it a Saturday trip and I'd be happy to show you the only semi secluded spot in the trees for those that might want to stay up there for the Saturday night.

It's a great spot for newbies and to drag kids along as the steep climbs and drops always provide a thrill

Chrispy, I used to run in high range until I got the taller tyres and now it's one of those places where it depends on the weather, a little rain and high range is easy, middle of Summer and no rain for a while and it's very powdery and hard going. Last time I went up it rained the day before and was like concrete in places.

Cheers
Steve

chrispy
11-10-04, 10:41 AM
Yeah - you are right Steve. As I mentioned before, it's very dry when there hasn't been any rain. High range is just pure folly IMHO in these circumstances. Too much strain on the engine to keep riding the crests in front of your tyres.

I usually used to camp in the hollow by the lake - turn right about 100m after exiting the car park at Lavis Lane and head over a couple of huge dunes to the bottom. Less wind, but i suspect that it's off limits now and the rangers will have you for lunch. There is always Anna Bay caravan park which has plenty of shaded camping out the back.....

Steve F
11-10-04, 10:49 AM
That was the spot I was thinking of, is it near that old wooden hut in amongst the trees? Didn't know they'd restricted where you could camp now. Anna bay caraven park is probably the way to go if you dont like sand in everything ;)

Cheers
Steve

chrispy
11-10-04, 10:57 AM
That was the spot I was thinking of, is it near that old wooden hut in amongst the trees? Didn't know they'd restricted where you could camp now. Anna bay caraven park is probably the way to go if you dont like sand in everything ;)

Cheers
Steve

Uhmm.. not sure about the hut. The entrance to place I'm speaking of is about a 100m up the road (heading up-hill and towards the beach - and way before the LHT onto the see-saw part of the track - you know the part I mean) from the car park at Lavis. Turn right off the road and negotiate a gap between some big logs they've put down to stop you ( :? ) and it's a fast run up the crest between dunes either side. As you head down, you'll see the lake slightly off to the left at the bottom. There is a bank of scrub on the other side of the lake (beach end) that shields you from most of the wind coming off the ocean. You never see anyone down there, so I think that's for a reason.

Steve F
11-10-04, 11:03 AM
Ahhh, now I know where you mean, not the same place. The spot I'm thinking of is after you've taken the see-saw (I like that description) turnoff to the beach. You go around the first set of dunes and there's a small lake to the right at the base of a dune with a grove of trees to the right again. In there there is a small hut and some flat areas that are nice and sheltered. Normally I go there for lunch if it's windy and have seen people camping in there.

chrispy
11-10-04, 11:09 AM
I know where you are now. Yup - I've always seen a camper or three there. It's a very popular spot in line with the markers down to the beach. If you ever come across it when it's free - I'd go for it. A bit public though.....

BenC
24-11-04, 10:56 AM
Did a date get set for this? I know the month of Jan is filling up fast :)

Cpage66
24-11-04, 11:30 AM
I've never been to Stockton either and would love to go for a day trip...

Hunter
24-11-04, 11:31 AM
Hoho, That's my favourite place for 4 wheel driving, I decided to buy a 4wd right after a holiday in Port Stephens and see the sand dunes. :P

Jaffas
24-11-04, 12:11 PM
NOT the weekend of 22nd Jan... but any other weekend should be fine.

Bring it on!!

Antz
24-11-04, 12:22 PM
OK, how about 29th or 30th? Steve or Martin you still keen to lead this?

overlander
24-11-04, 01:58 PM
that w/end sounds good, steve's still away until next week i think so will confirm then.. :)

Steve F
26-11-04, 12:34 AM
I'm back :( Holiday was too short. 29th or 30th is fine with me. The 30th would probably be better though. Been there plenty of times so happy to lead it if Martin doesn't know his way around up there.

Cheers
Steve

Dorzun
26-11-04, 09:25 AM
Set a date today and I can get it in the trip calender of the december wave as I'll be finishing it tonite.

Email me and let me know if you do set one with contact details for the trip leaders as well.

Jaffas
26-11-04, 01:02 PM
I say bring on the 30th!

Antz
26-11-04, 02:08 PM
I have added the trip to the calendar on the 30th

spud
29-11-04, 09:56 PM
ill be there with the boggie boads have a ball with them

Steve F
10-12-04, 11:03 AM
So far we have

Me (Steve F)
Martin (Overlander)
Antz
Cpage66
Jeff
Brad
Wiz
Wooders
Chrispy
Iguana
Tigger
Hunter
Cashy (Guest in Cruiser)

Meeting at Thornleigh Maccas for departure at 8:00am (So be there earlier than 8:00am) on Sunday the 30th and then next meet up point at the sevice station at Lavis Lane at 9:45-10:00am to hit the beach by 10:00-10:15am hopefully.

You'll need recovery gear and $5 for a permit for the beach. An air compressor is always handy if there are a lot of us coming off the beach at the same time as well. Boogie boards for dune riding are also recommended :)

If anyone is running late or misses our depature you can call me on 0438 227 076 as I should get a signal on the beach. We'll also be on channel 15 but the dunes limit the range.

Cheers
Steve

Jeff
10-12-04, 10:22 PM
I'm up for it, will most likely stay in Anna bay or nearby on the Saturday night.

Dorzun
15-12-04, 05:01 PM
I'll most likely be there as we'll be doing sugarloaf the day before.

wiz
20-12-04, 08:26 PM
i should be in for this trip - fingers crossed :D ....
plan to be already up that way on the saturday with the rescheduled SugarLoaf trip :wink:

Wooders
21-12-04, 11:38 PM
Yeah I'll probably be keen 8)

spud
22-12-04, 06:55 PM
the boards are for the kids they like to ride the dunes

Steve F
24-12-04, 09:56 AM
I'll be heading up there between Christmas and New Year to stick a few of the big dunes in the GPS. Normally when I go up I just head in the general direction of the big stuff but this time I might have to be a bit better organised so we can have maximum play time :)

I know up near Anna Bay the tourist buses normally pick one particular dune to slide down on boards but does anyone know of any other good ones (I dont normally take a board to play on), I know the beach reasonably well so just a general direction is fine.

Cheers
Steve

sir_camel
24-12-04, 12:16 PM
There should be a few good dunes to slide down all down the beach. Isn't gravity a wonderful thing. Do you reckon the dunes will move before we head back late January Steve?

Steve F
24-12-04, 02:35 PM
There should be a few good dunes to slide down all down the beach. Isn't gravity a wonderful thing. Do you reckon the dunes will move before we head back late January Steve?

LOL, thanks for the help... I've never had much luck with dune sliding, or at least my kids haven't. They never seem to be quite steep enough or dry enough, last time just ended up with a face plant. Not to concerned about them moving more than a cm or so ;) but like I said I never seem to really manage to find ones that we've had much luck with. Anyway, no big deal Sir Camel, I'll let you show me how it's done and learn from that....

Cheers
Steve

IguanA
04-01-05, 10:50 AM
I should be in on this trip, all depends on date though. So is there a confirmed date for this?

Steve F
04-01-05, 12:10 PM
I should be in on this trip, all depends on date though. So is there a confirmed date for this?

Confirmed date is the 30th of Jan. Here's a link to some video I took a week ago when I went up there with some mates for a bit of a play.

http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/gallery/album347

Cheers
Steve

chrispy
06-01-05, 08:15 PM
I'm in for sure now - we'll be coming back from a week or two in Cooma a day or two early :)

Do we have a meeting time and place yet? We might even go up Saturday and stay at Anna Bay if there is room there at this time of year...... it's a pretty long day otherwise. I suppose the roof-top tent might have to make an appearance,,,,,,

Cpage66
07-01-05, 10:30 AM
So how many does that make so far???

Steve F
07-01-05, 10:44 AM
So far we have 12, there's a list on page one :)

This doesn't include everyone that is going on the trip on the Saturday and meeting up with us on the Sunday so there could be more.

How does meeting at 9:30am at the service station at Lavis Lane sound (actually corner of Nelson Bay Road and Cabbage Tree Road/Tomago Road)? Or is this too early for the none Northside guys and girls? Other option is to meet near the beginning of the F3 at about 8:00am, again is this too early?

Cheers
Steve

chrispy
07-01-05, 10:57 AM
Sounds like it's turning out to be a great day or two out! :)

To tell you the truth, I can't remember how long it takes from the Appin/Campbelltown area - so we'll leave early from here - about 6:55am or so. It'd be great to convoy up so I'll take the F3 option. Whereabouts exactly?

I'll be bringing our next door neighbour (Jason and family) and they'll be in a Jack. Might also see Angelo off the ExplorOz site in his GQ come along.

Can't wait!

Cheers
Chris

TIGGER
07-01-05, 12:21 PM
count me in on this one too 8)

IguanA
07-01-05, 03:30 PM
Yeah i can confirm, i'm on for sure, i might being a jeep full of passengers if thats alright.

TIGGER
07-01-05, 10:02 PM
Yeah i can confirm, i'm on for sure, i might being a jeep full of passengers if thats alright.

no way dude - NO PASSENGERS ALLOWED!

(just kidding :lol:)

Cpage66
09-01-05, 08:38 AM
Sounds like it's turning out to be a great day or two out! :)

To tell you the truth, I can't remember how long it takes from the Appin/Campbelltown area - so we'll leave early from here - about 6:55am or so. It'd be great to convoy up so I'll take the F3 option. Whereabouts exactly?

I'll be bringing our next door neighbour (Jason and family) and they'll be in a Jack. Might also see Angelo off the ExplorOz site in his GQ come along.

Can't wait!

Cheers
Chris

Chris,
You wanna meet on the M5 somewhere first and go up???

chrispy
09-01-05, 08:58 AM
Chris,
You wanna meet on the M5 somewhere first and go up???

Yup! Let's set a time and place....

PS - Are you gonna keep it down to 160kmh or less for the trip up?

8)

Steve F
09-01-05, 11:00 AM
It'd be great to convoy up so I'll take the F3 option. Whereabouts exactly?
Can't wait!

Cheers
Chris

How about Maccas at Thornleigh? it's eithier that or a servo but we might have a few too many to pack into a servo.

Cheers
Steve

Cpage66
09-01-05, 02:00 PM

8)

Yeah...I'll try for the oil burner.... :twisted: :lol:

chrispy
09-01-05, 03:11 PM

8)

Yeah...I'll try for the oil burner.... :twisted: :lol:

160's no problem for the CRD.... I was more thinking of my license :twisted:

spud
10-01-05, 05:38 PM
hi steve im out on that date will be in narrandera a loooooooong way from there sory im out i hope on your next trip i can make it :cry:

BenC
12-01-05, 11:57 AM
May just be ready in time for this.. We'll see how things go *fingers crossed*

Jaffas
12-01-05, 12:26 PM
errr.... my avaliability for this trip has all of a sudden become sketchy... will let you know... but I will try and make it, I so want to drive on the sand!!

Steve F
13-01-05, 09:22 AM
Just as a quick update I've posted times and meeting points on page one of the thread along with a list of attendees so far.

Also the service station at Lavis Lane has cut down on the number of air outlets, it used to have about 6 but is down to only 2 now and there will no doubt be a queue. They have a guy with a shop compressor at the carpark at Lavis Lane who charges $2 for you to use his compressor or $4 if he does your tyres for you (there is also a guy at Anna Bay). If we get a lot of vehicles it's worthwhile pulling out your own compressor so bring it along.

Cheers
Steve

TIGGER
13-01-05, 09:45 AM
steve you can add me to the list too :cry:

Steve F
13-01-05, 10:41 AM
steve you can add me to the list too :cry:

Done :)

Hunter
13-01-05, 04:20 PM
Hi Steve,

I will be in this one too. Will be there Friday night and camp at Anna Bay, where's the final meeting point & when on Sunday?

Steve F
13-01-05, 04:57 PM
Hi Steve,

I will be in this one too. Will be there Friday night and camp at Anna Bay, where's the final meeting point & when on Sunday?

Meeting will be at the servo at Lavis Lane between 9:30 and 9:45 depending on travelling time from Hornsby. Exact street details are a little further up in this thread.

Cheers
Steve

Dorzun
18-01-05, 04:17 PM
Have you guy's decided on where you'll be camping yet?

Just asking as I may need to book as I'm planning on doing sugarloaf the day before. Will also help to know where to look for you guy's as well.

Hunter
19-01-05, 09:38 AM
I have been there many times as it's one of my favourite holiday destination, I always like to saty at One Mile Beach Holiday Park at Anna Bay, good facilities and nice environment, colse to beach & 4wd entrance.

Hunter
19-01-05, 09:58 AM
Hi Steve,

Meeting will be at the servo at Lavis Lane between 9:30 and 9:45 depending on travelling time from Hornsby. Exact street details are a little further up in this thread.

Cheers
Steve

I found that the Lavis Lane is located at Williamtown, it's still 20km something away from Anna Bay, we will go up to the beach from north side or south side :?:

Jaffas
19-01-05, 12:27 PM
Sorry Steve, going to have to bail on this one... will be away that weekend. Sucks, cos I was looking forward to playing on the sand... oh well, next time :(

Hope u guys enjoy it.

Steve F
19-01-05, 01:11 PM
I found that the Lavis Lane is located at Williamtown, it's still 20km something away from Anna Bay, we will go up to the beach from north side or south side :?:

Not quite sure on the question but anyway we'll be going on to the beach through Lavis Lane so I guess the answer is the South side. The entrance at Anna Bay is pretty boring, at Lavis Lane you get stuck straight into it :) Much more fun.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
19-01-05, 01:11 PM
Sorry Steve, going to have to bail on this one... will be away that weekend. Sucks, cos I was looking forward to playing on the sand... oh well, next time :(

Hope u guys enjoy it.

No problem :)

Cheers
Steve

TIGGER
20-01-05, 02:08 PM
seems the outerlimits boys are planning a trip there too

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32064&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Steve F
20-01-05, 02:17 PM
seems the outerlimits boys are planning a trip there too

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32064&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Looks like its going to be busy up there, although I think the Overlander guys are heading off to the Watagans on the Sunday morning as some are coming up from Canberra. Not sure if the Outerlimits guys and the 4WDMonthly guys are hanging around on the Sunday yet.

Cheers
Steve

Antz
20-01-05, 04:08 PM
Hey Hunter, are you planning to do the Sugarloaf trail on the Sat and camping overnight before Stockton on Sunday? Just noticed you mentioned the holiday park at Anna bay.

I agree with SteveF, go in at the Lavis Lane entrance. We could all meet at the servo on the roundabout. (can get permits there too)

Hunter
20-01-05, 05:28 PM
Hey Hunter, are you planning to do the Sugarloaf trail on the Sat and camping overnight before Stockton on Sunday? Just noticed you mentioned the holiday park at Anna bay.

I agree with SteveF, go in at the Lavis Lane entrance. We could all meet at the servo on the roundabout. (can get permits there too)

No I won't. I remember you said the Sugarloaf trail is harder than the Cabbage Tree Lane, my Jeep might not gonna make it without the air locker then :? Also more important, I got friends come with me on Friday, and it's kind of 1st time up there for them, so I have to stay with them and showing them around Port Stephens for the Saturday. Sorry :oops:

Steve F
27-01-05, 01:52 PM
Page one is updated with times etc.

Cheers
Steve

wiz
28-01-05, 07:41 PM
i'm unable to attend now :oops: ... :cry:

have a good trip guys 8) ...

lots of pics please :D ,
and not neccesarily of jeeps either :wink: ... the local and/or visiting fauna will suffice 8O

chrispy
30-01-05, 07:51 PM
Great trip Steve, Martin and Antz - thanks guys!!!! :)

Piccies...piccies...piccies!

Cpage66
30-01-05, 08:48 PM
http://210.10.49.162/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=SJC%40_Stockton_Beach _30-1-05&page=1

Thanks Steve and Martin for the day....
Thanks everyone it was a blast...
And thanks Antz for the pull!!!! :P

Steve F
30-01-05, 09:56 PM
Added some as well at http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/gallery/album369

Loved Martins 'shoe bonnet prop' cooling system ;)

http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/album369/aai.sized.jpg

Cheers
Steve

sir_camel
31-01-05, 01:03 AM
Have a bit of a Hot Hot XJ there eh Martin?

Dorzun
31-01-05, 09:18 AM
So who's doing the trip report for me.

How about also loading some of the better pics into a folder in the club photos section too.

I'll need some to go with the report.

Antz
31-01-05, 04:30 PM
Thanks to all for a good day on the sand, especially Steve for leading.

Didn't take many photos, but posted them here;

http://210.10.49.162/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album113

TIGGER
01-02-05, 03:42 PM
I didnt get many shots but they are here
http://210.10.49.162/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album115

http://210.10.49.162/albums/album115/freemans207.jpg
http://210.10.49.162/albums/album115/freemans200.jpg

Hunter
01-02-05, 05:31 PM
What a exciting & enjoyable day on the dunes! Thank to all for made it happened. :D

Here are few photos I took:
http://210.10.49.162/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album116