PDA

View Full Version : Shifting between full time/part time 4x4

lol
23-10-06, 11:22 AM
Some advice please.
Just bought a 97 cherokee, but seem to have a problem engaging and disengaging 4x4.
Going in to 4x4 full time is not a problem, but the thing doesn't want to come out and back to 2wd again. I shift the lever back to 2wd but the dash indicator says it's in 4wd part time. I lost traction getting up a steep drive and it then seems to fix itself and went back to 2wd. Not sure if this was a coincidence though.
Should there be any trouble moving between selections? Is it always best to shift when you are off road as opposed to still on a tarmac road?
Does the car need to sense a loss of traction before it shifts from full time/part time to 2wd?
Considering i was driving for about 10mins on a sealed road in part time mode how much damage could i have done ?
Thanks in advance

Steve F
23-10-06, 11:31 AM
What you describe is pretty typical. I normally shift back to 2wd while still on a loose surface, failing that shift it and then reverse for a few meters and then forward again, this should also switch it back.

10 minutes of driving with the centre diff locked wont do any damage, obviously it's no recommended but the t-case and drive system is strong enough to cope with it on the odd occasion without damage.

Cheers
Steve

Wooders
23-10-06, 01:09 PM
I usually slip the transmission into neutral , into and outof 4wdH and then I usually hear the little thud that tells me I;m really in 2wd again ;)

ick72
20-07-10, 11:07 PM
sorry to re vist an old post im new to jeep and my mate has now brought an xj as well we both have an issue with changing back to 2wd after 4wd how is this done properly please we both have the quadra trac system.

Hunno
20-07-10, 11:30 PM
I will have to leave this to one of the guys with part time 4wd as mine is full time. However it does have a bit of a thud & always has when selecting 4H from Neutral.

The next club meeting will be 7:30pm Wednesday the 4th of August at Wooders Garage, 29 Leighton Place, Hornsby why not grab your mate & come along & learn a lot about your Jeeps & their options.

sbadman
21-07-10, 05:15 AM
sorry to re vist an old post im new to jeep and my mate has now brought an xj as well we both have an issue with changing back to 2wd after 4wd how is this done properly please we both have the quadra trac system.

Hi there,

I think you'll find your XJ's are fitted with the Select-trac system (Aus delivered diesels 97+ have Command-trac. Quadra-trac was fitted to the Grand Cherokee, and IIRC don't have a 2WD option)

Both systems are a shift on the fly, ie designed to be shifted while the vehicle is moving. It's possible to go between any of the high range positions at up to 80km/h. The trick is to put the auto trans into neutral while moving (akin to putting in the clutch on a manual vehicle), shift the transfer case, and then put the auto back into drive. If you've bought an XJ that's never been out of 2WD, the selector will be rather stiff for a while.
To go to 4LO, slow right down (<5km/h) or even stop, and with the auto trans in neutral shift the transfer case. If you've stopped completely it may take a couple of goes to engage properly.

ick72
21-07-10, 04:26 PM
so does this mean we dont stop and reverse to dis engage?

Steve F
21-07-10, 04:33 PM
It should just disengage while moving, may take 10 metres or so. If that doesn't work then stop and reverse a little and go forward again. That should do it for sure.

Cheers
Steve

ick72
21-07-10, 05:57 PM
thanks for the advise will put into practice on saturday when we go to burralow road and mountain lagoon rd near richmond

Hunno
21-07-10, 06:01 PM
mountain lagoon rd near richmond

Does this come out at Bilpin? As I believed it was gated?

sbadman
21-07-10, 06:23 PM
Does this come out at Bilpin? As I believed it was gated?

It comes out near Bilpin. I don't remember a gate on either end of the track (other end is at Kurrajong). In fact there is a camp ground with drop loos at the midway point.

Hunno
21-07-10, 07:03 PM
Just noticed a Mountain Lagoon Rd just on the eastern side of the Apple Bar at Bilpin & have always thought about having a look.

ick72
21-07-10, 07:29 PM
yep that the ones there are gates but they only close it off after heavy rain ,or if they do road works . the camp area is a good area for families as there is heaps of room and a walk to a waterfall

Hunno
21-07-10, 07:42 PM
what the drive like?

SteveC
22-07-10, 04:27 PM
Only last weekend I did a trip with another Xtrail just past Karajong - turned left onto Paterson ridge fire trail. Goes down to the river and a open camp area. Not exciting but none the less the intention was to have a BBQ and test out the brand new xtrail. I would rate it high clearance 2wd at best. Would be tricky in the wet but so is the black top at times. Nice BBQ area and only a short distance away. There is another area further up to the right just affter Bilpin which would be interesting to view. Off Mount Wilson turn off I think

Hunno
22-07-10, 05:39 PM
Camped down there many years ago now there are two ways in & out one is very easy the other is steep & slippery when wet with the hardest part being the enviro humps. As for the Mt Wilson track is a fire trail. I'm going to have a chat to my father in-law as he's in the Bushy's at Mt Tomah & has all the keys to the area & may be able to get permssion to acces the tracks as for track quality inspections.

Bear
22-07-10, 05:54 PM
SJC was in the area when we did the Wheeney Creek trip last year in June I think

Hunno
22-07-10, 09:21 PM
yer I missed that didn't join until September