PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the bottom of my mysterious noise

arb87u
02-11-06, 08:34 PM
Hi Guys,

As you know it is my intention to compete in pecker this month but as yet i have not tracked down and addressed this noise. The best way i can describe it is a marble racing around in a cup. When the problem happened it was on the black top driving home from work, it was intermitent for awhile and now as soon as you go over about 5km/h it is there.

I have replaced the hubs (over due anyway)
Just pulled the front diff hat off and no broken gears or contamination
No play in the drive shafts

Before the end of the week i am hoping to drop the transmission fluid and check the transmission mount. Would change the fluid in the transfer case but the fill plug has been rounded out (no it wasn't me!)

What else do we think it could be?

Cheers,

Warren

AussieCJ7
03-11-06, 02:23 PM
It is impossible to investigate noises remotely and I have not seen how the the clutch setup is on a TJ however I had encounted a problem with the CJ once that gave a similar sound

what had happened was the arm that pivoted from the clutch slave cyl to the throw out bearing had fallen of the pivot point and the ball bearing that created this pviot point was rolling around the bell housing and would occasionly hit the fly wheel making a horrible noise.

It was quick to find by removing the tin cover for the front of the bell housing and looking around with a torch

Try and issolate where the noise is coming from then look closer at that point

arb87u
03-11-06, 07:58 PM
makes it hard to diagnose as it only happens while moving at speed. It has a new clutch kit as of about 3,000km ago at the same time the transmission was pulled apart completely and rebuilt.

Just a process of elimination at this point. My brother seems to think it is comming from the rear so i am pulling the hat off the rear diff tomorrow and see if anything is wrong there. If not it moves to checking over the clutch, transmission and transfer case.....

I don't mind working on my own truck, but with pecker looming i might end up sending it to mick on a tow truck.

arb87u
06-11-06, 04:28 PM
been identified as the transmission. I didn't think it was as it was only rebuilt a few months ago. It was sent off when she was fairly stock under warranty to have the transmission looked at.

When it came back they said nothing was wrong with it. Then about 6 months later and suburban telling me it was my transmission i took it back to jeep and they sent it off again to be looked at. Again it came back that nothing was wrong with it. Then about another 6 months later i had the jack of it and wrote a complaint letter to DC the result was to take it back to dealer and then they had me tack it across to the place that did the work, this time when they dropped the box they called me up and told me to come in, he showed me the gears (removed and on the bench) and said look for yourself aint nothing wrong with them. It didn't look like anything was wrong with them, they put it all back togeather and i picked it up to find it making the same damn noise.

That noise that i have been complaining about since it was stock still exists to this day, but this time it has another (different) noise comming from the transmission, i have spoken to my jeep dealer and they are willing to take it for a test drive tomorrow morning. I just hope i can get it all cleared up before pecker!

Thanks to everyone for advise to this point! :)

Outback
06-11-06, 09:46 PM
Hey mate when you look at gears it is not always obvious when a little bit of hard facing has gone and it will go down hill fast after that happens. Also the box would need to be assembled and load placed on it to get a real good handle on the noise. (need some load on the input shaft)
I assume it was diagnosed with the truck up on chocks running in gear??
Hope you get it back on the road soon it must be very painful without it!
I'll even forgive you for refusing to move my KJ when it had the key in the ignition and was blocking the trail... I reckon by now you would get in anything with a Jeep badge.. :wink:

arb87u
06-11-06, 11:02 PM
wonder if i stand any chance of getting a new transmission out of DC being that this one has been rebuilt 3 times.....

And it is getting close to anything with a Jeep badge but not close enough for a KJ ;)

Outback
08-11-06, 10:02 PM
That noise that i have been complaining about since it was stock still exists to this day, but this time it has another (different) noise comming from the transmission, i have spoken to my jeep dealer and they are willing to take it for a test drive tomorrow morning. I just hope i can get it all cleared up before pecker!

Thanks to everyone for advise to this point! :)

Whats the prognosis :?:

jenko
09-11-06, 06:15 PM
Hey Warren is it true what i hear that you are a closet KJ driver :D

arb87u
09-11-06, 07:41 PM
took it to the dealer on Monday morning they agree it is in the transmission, the scary part is that they wanted an exact list of my suspension mods, even though they have rebuilt it three times and the noise they rebuilt it for still exists with the addition of the new noise. I suspect it will result in them pointing the finger at the mods which i will not stand for.

Called on Monday afternoon, left it alone on tuesday as it was a public holiday in melbourne and on monday they said they would be talking with 'head office' and called on Wednesday and this afternoon..... still havn't been able to speak with the manager let lone getting resolution to the problem. The wheels turn very slowly at the local dealership!

And not even if the kj was the only jeep left on the road! ;)