PDA

View Full Version : overheating jeep

ghostbear
19-02-07, 01:53 PM
Hi, Im new here but i nead advice about an overheating jeep - tried 4 different mechanics, had about $1,200 dollars work done on it in 3 years and still overheating. New radiator, new hoses, new themostat, new belt, head gasket test 3 times, new radiator cap, new fluid 3 times. Have suspicion it could be the clutch fan & I'm considering taking clutch fan off and replacing with thermo fan. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and could give some advice. Not loosing any water, shuts off at certain temperature - mainly whilst travelling up mountains. Goes fine around town or long distance trips with no mountains. Not real good whilst towing either. :(

Thanks

Steve F
19-02-07, 02:23 PM
What model and year Jeep? If it's an XJ and the fan clutch is stuffed then nothing else you can do will get it to run cool, they need that fan to be working 100%

Cheers
Steve

ghostbear
19-02-07, 04:29 PM
thank you for your swift reply 1995\96cherokee limited will a large thermo fan cure it

jenko
19-02-07, 05:49 PM
Buy a KJ that will fix it.

Steve F
19-02-07, 06:32 PM
A thermo may fix it but it's critical to get one with enough flow, personally I'd stick with the viscous fan, I think you can get replacement couplings for them but I'm not sure on the cost. Also checkout http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/ for a lot of good info on replacing it with an electric fan.

Cheers
Steve

ghostbear
19-02-07, 06:37 PM
whats a KJ new model :D

jenko
19-02-07, 06:40 PM
Yeah mate :D

Cpage66
19-02-07, 09:02 PM
You have a large and long engine in a bay designed for a small 4 cylinder and a small V6 originally. It really needs the viscous fan...check for the best replacement you can find and also consider getting some vents punched in the hood (bonnet) as well. Also get some Redline Water Wetter and pour in the radiator to help with the thermal transfer. You just don't have enough capacity to get rid of heat...

And don't buy a KJ. Keep a solid front axle under ya'. You'll be glad ya' did in the long run...!