PDA

View Full Version : new to jeep and looking at buying one

Hak
25-05-07, 11:58 PM
Hi Guys

Looking at buying my first TJ, previously a Nissan Patrol man which was stolen and in return I bought a WRX (which to this day I don?t why I guess I had to have one sooner or later) any how the TJ that I found is a MY05 with 43000km 26k the extras are a hard top cruise control in a 6 speed manual Renegade

What?s the diff between a renegade and a sport any way

Any thing that I should be looking out for???????

Great site and look forward on joining the club

Jaffas
03-06-07, 01:12 PM
Hey Hak,

Being an XJ person, not really sure of exact differences between renegade and sports, I think it is just a spec level (renegade higher), have to wait for one of the more informed to respond.

I guess its just the normal stuff to look for, look under for obvious signs of off-road abuse, any leaks under the hood etc... They are a pretty tough vehicle though, good luck with it if you decide to go ahead.

Hak
14-06-07, 02:26 PM
I did it I bought a 96 Grand Cherokee for $10,000 I wanted a Wrangler and the wife wanted a Pajero we agreed to meet in the middle and bought a Grand Cherokee previously we owned a Nissan Patrol which had minor mods and found it capable but we found it to expensive to go rock hopping coming home with a new dent every excursion

I have no idea how capable the Cherokee will be but im working on 4.5 inch lift striaght away

Anonymous
14-06-07, 09:49 PM
The newer shape WJ wouldve been better but any grand is good enough welcome to the world of jeeps.

stevet
20-06-07, 04:40 PM
Hi Hak,
Welcome to the Jeep world. ZJ's are very capable off-road but we have some limitations and how they can be modified for off road use without comprimising on road driveability ( drive line vibes,etc). We have "low" pinion diff's vrs "high" pinion one's on TJ's and we also have a c/v front drive shaft which can go "bang" as mine did but can be replaced with double cardigan ones (not cheap).No body lift due to monoq???? car like frame.F/Disconnects are/make a lot of difference to off-road use & lockers f/r makes life easier as you would know. Body armour/rails saves a lot of damage to rails etc ( one day ). Increasing tyre size creates its own little needs ( a steering block--a couple of washers worth--- to reduce the problem) and if you want to go bigger than 31's you need to start cutting.
Anyway Hak, donn't let me put you off. I like mine and it has gone to good places where it has amazed some Toyo drivers when I asked them if they needed help to get pass/over/ & through some the spots where they were stuck.
So come to club meet and should be seeing you on the tracks soon I expect.
Stephen T.