PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap Suggestions 1982 Cherokee FSJ

aft3rmath
02-07-07, 02:05 PM
The AMC 360 in my 82 Cherokee is really whipped and I have the option of either spending the money getting it reconditioned or swapping it out for a new engine. Its had an LPG conversion and ever since that was done its just been issue after issue.

Hoping to go with fuel injected this time and probably not bother with LPG. The FSJ is used for light 4wheeling ie camping (my CJ7 is used for the heavier offroading) and towing a boat. Anyone have:

a. suggestions on an engine to swap in or not to swap in
b. know of a good mechanic that can do this work and preferably has experience with Jeeps and preferably can also do the blue slip for the swap

Thanks for any input with this :)

Dave

Wooders
02-07-07, 07:17 PM
Was it a dual fuel? - Is so I'll bet that the cause of 90% of your problems.
EFI is great but $$$
The big questions I guess are:
How much $$ do you want to spend? and how important is it to you to keep it "Jeep"?

For many people swapping in a GenIII with a t700 would be the choice.
Me? I'd be trying for a 401 with a edelbrock EFI system.

AussieCJ7
02-07-07, 11:46 PM
I'd be trying for a 401 with a edelbrock EFI system.

Funny I was reading this and thats what jumped to mind :lol:

A good 360 is going to be your cheapest option after that anything is possible for the $$

Cpage66
03-07-07, 01:34 AM
Rebuild the 360 and slap an offroad carbie on it...

BenC
03-07-07, 11:54 AM
could also worth considering an Edelbrock gas injection manifold on it if you rebuild the 360

aft3rmath
06-07-07, 12:30 PM
EFI is great but $$$
How much $$ do you want to spend? and how important is it to you to keep it "Jeep"?

yeah... its is dual fuel.

Im considering the rebuilding the 360 (or swaping in a good one) and the edelbrock EFI. Any ideas on what this would set me back and any recommendations on who could do the work?

Cpage66
06-07-07, 01:26 PM
EFI is great but $$$

yeah... its is dual fuel.

Im considering the rebuilding the 360 (or swaping in a good one) and the edelbrock EFI. Any ideas on what this would set me back and any recommendations on who could do the work?

Where are you located ??

aft3rmath
06-07-07, 03:43 PM
Where are you located ??

Just near Leichhardt, about 5 mins from the CBD, but its no big deal to take it anywhere in Sydney. The extra effort will be worth getting someone good :)